Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solar Coaster posted:

It's 3 in the morning. You've been drinking. Now you're awake and REALLY need to pee...

Do you:

A) Wait 10 min for stairs
B) Leap of Faith
C) Aim for sink
D) All of the above

Slam dunking my balls into the kitchen sink from a story up because my stairs are slow. Living my best life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggity
Oct 22, 2016

Old school cool
Now with all of the millenial bullshit

I LOVE welding on things where chlorinated solvents are present - Phosgene ams your friend!

Solar Coaster posted:

It's 3 in the morning. You've been drinking. Now you're awake and REALLY need to pee...

Do you:

A) Wait 10 min for stairs
B) Leap of Faith
C) Aim for sink
D) All of the above

Piss in the top drawer/stair. You won't remember it in the morning and aside from the faint urine smell, it will be months before you even think of opening it for practical storage reasons...

Jows
May 8, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have found them - the worst stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8_6mpPxWZw&t=152s

Yes, when the stairs retract, they do leave the upper floor a death trap anyone could step off.

I love this youtube channel. It's like Dahir Insaat meets As Seen On TV and is full of things which have no right to exist.

I like the one right after the stairs where they suspend a heavy load over the second most expensive thing you own with like 16 ga cable.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I think that's the first time I've heard someone refer to this show by its original name.. :aaa:

Like, I had to click the link just to make sure we were both thinking of the same thing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jows posted:

I like the one right after the stairs where they suspend a heavy load over the second most expensive thing you own with like 16 ga cable.

Seems an expensive way to get back the rafters you’d have in your garage if you hadn’t finished the ceiling.

Jows posted:

Don’t most people just have open rafters in their garage, which are perfect for hiding away things like surfboards?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

Don’t most people just have open rafters in their garage, which are perfect for hiding away things like surfboards?

Not always, mine is closed off as a storage attic. My garage is also insulated and has a gas heater in it, since I have all my woodworking stuff in there as well as taking half of it for my barbells, power cage, and punching bag.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's a second floor above my garage, so it'd be joist-space only. Also the drywall lining the garage is thicker to count as a firewall.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Jows posted:

I was all over McMaster Carr's website looking for cable so I could poo poo all over your lack of knowledge about what good steel cable can do (although yukyuk they probably didn't use good steel cable).

Then I saw that the steel cable they had that seems to be about the diameter in the ad (1/8") has a lifting capacity of 50 pounds :catstare:

Also fiber-rope cables have lifting capacity exceeding steel cables at those small diameters, which blows my mind.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

insta posted:

I was all over McMaster Carr's website looking for cable so I could poo poo all over your lack of knowledge about what good steel cable can do (although yukyuk they probably didn't use good steel cable).

Then I saw that the steel cable they had that seems to be about the diameter in the ad (1/8") has a lifting capacity of 50 pounds :catstare:

Also fiber-rope cables have lifting capacity exceeding steel cables at those small diameters, which blows my mind.

Rope made from Dyneema fiber is just insanely strong.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Rope made from Dyneema fiber is just insanely strong.

Oh yeah. Used to use this guy here.
https://www.bluewaterropes.com/product/8mm-canyon-pro/

8 mm core, 5000 lb breaking strength. With sheath and all it's thinner than your pinky

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Actually crappy. We were having drain issues in our kitchen, AC drain, and washer. This is the shitpipe in the dining room from my kitchen and laundry going to the rest of the house (kitchen is basically the beginning of my plumbing:

Hard to see, but the chunk on the right branch of the Y is... not connected.
Then they got the pipe out. There seems to be something missing along the bottom:

It's copper, oddly, coming into that Y, and the *copper* is also failing along the bottom:

... and they can't tell how far into the foundation in either direction the damage goes. I felt it myself, the copper is *thin*. So I'm going to have to punt, and route the drains outside and around the side and rear of the house, to the tune of $12K. Yay! Really would have rather bought a car or remodeled the kitchen, if I was going to spend that.

IF it had just been that joint, this would have fixed it:

They just put that in place to make the AC condensate drain work until they can get the other work done.
gently caress I hate 50-year-old plumbing.
One of the times I wish I had pier and beam.

I'd also like you to note the complete lack of rebar in that concrete. They used fairly small-diameter mesh, instead (you can see the remains in the second-to-last picture). Guys are putting in rebar, of course.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I'm the bluetooth pickle app controlling the undersized hoists.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

They just put that in place to make the AC condensate drain work until they can get the other work done.
One of the times I wish I had pier and beam.

Old plumbing is the worst. We bought a house built in 1936 and had original plumbing and figured we'd need to address it at some point. Well, didn't take long after moving in before we had a leak in a basement wall, decided to run cameras down to check everything out, and realized it was in pretty poo poo shape overall. Ended up cutting out a long run diagonally through the basement to put down new sewer pipe, and decided to replace water and electrical as well since we had everything opened up. Ended up being a big project but now all that poo poo's done and we know every single pipe and cable in the house is nice and new. It's a good feeling.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Old plumbing is the worst. We bought a house built in 1936 and had original plumbing and figured we'd need to address it at some point. Well, didn't take long after moving in before we had a leak in a basement wall, decided to run cameras down to check everything out, and realized it was in pretty poo poo shape overall. Ended up cutting out a long run diagonally through the basement to put down new sewer pipe, and decided to replace water and electrical as well since we had everything opened up. Ended up being a big project but now all that poo poo's done and we know every single pipe and cable in the house is nice and new. It's a good feeling.

Yeah, at least I know I shouldn't have to worry about that part for a while when we're done.
Of course, there's still the stretch from the bathroom to the sewer exit of the house, which is *currently* working, but...
And it 55 year old plumbing - house was built in '64. loving cast iron. Could be worse - could be clay, I guess.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, at least I know I shouldn't have to worry about that part for a while when we're done.
Of course, there's still the stretch from the bathroom to the sewer exit of the house, which is *currently* working, but...
And it 55 year old plumbing - house was built in '64. loving cast iron. Could be worse - could be clay, I guess.

I'd take clay over cast iron any day. In our place the cast iron was loving GONE, in one place there was literally nothing left except a pipe shaped hole in the wall. The pipes running under the basement floor were ceramic and in excellent shape, but back then they didn't place them in a gravel bed so over time they had shifted and all the seams were leaking.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Ended up being a big project but now all that poo poo's done and we know every single pipe and cable in the house is nice and new. It's a good feeling.

The next step is to thoroughly document everything on paper and then burn the documents while laughing about the next generations of house owners.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I'd take clay over cast iron any day. In our place the cast iron was loving GONE, in one place there was literally nothing left except a pipe shaped hole in the wall. The pipes running under the basement floor were ceramic and in excellent shape, but back then they didn't place them in a gravel bed so over time they had shifted and all the seams were leaking.

That would be the issue here. I'm in North TX, and the clay soil here expands and contracts like a motherfucker. *Everyone's* foundation is hosed.
But, yeah, at least it wouldn't have just disappeared like yours and part of mine did.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I love this youtube channel. It's like Dahir Insaat meets As Seen On TV and is full of things which have no right to exist.

Does anyone remember the Dahir video of some (giant) contraption having to be hoisted when it ran into power lines? I can't find it on their Youtube page and it's bugging me.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Old plumbing is the worst.

Old plumbing installed by the previous owner (or owner before him) is even worse.

Then there's flips where they spent money to make sure the house looks nice, but they didn't bother to replace the orangeburg sewer pipe from the house to the street.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Does anyone remember the Dahir video of some (giant) contraption having to be hoisted when it ran into power lines? I can't find it on their Youtube page and it's bugging me.

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf34o2oL85g&t=26s

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
dang it now you have me look at insaat again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hggv52SdFak

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't understand what the trucks are for

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't understand what the trucks are for

The trucks carry the generators that power the giant drone. Those cable strips they were disconnecting were the power supply.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I... see.

They should have it follow the powerlines instead, like an inverted electric tram.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jaded Burnout posted:

I... see.

They should have it follow the powerlines instead, like an inverted electric tram.

I think that one was the next one on autoplay.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are places in California where the original drain pipes were made of hollowed-out redwood trees.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

There are places in California where the original drain pipes were made of hollowed-out redwood trees.

That's not the only place this was done.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Leperflesh posted:

They keep finding them in Philadelphia:

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/5/5/15545532/philadelphia-water-infrastructure-old-history-wooden-pipes

Amongst other buried surprises.

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/9/14871858/old-city-graveyard-coffins-218-arch-street

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

"Moral of the story: Philly is a really, really old city"

Suck on that, Luxor, Athens, and Kabul!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oslo, Norway is a fairly young city in its current location (it moved one river to the left after one of the fires). We're still replacing the oak water piping, though; I snapped this last fall:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

You know I've seen massive bridge girders, 100ft I-beams with a flat bed holding each end, getting hauled down the interstate, and normal traffic does not flow with and around it with much east. Now I'm trying to image all that poo poo, but then it has to come to a stop at every loving overpass to shuffle the power chords around. People would get shot.

Phanatic posted:

Damascus laughs.

Jows
May 8, 2002

insta posted:

Sure braided steel cable is strong, and the cable is looped a bunch, and the most probable point of failure is either the drywall mounting or the hoist brake, but you still don't want to suspend a load over anything critical. There's a reason anytime you work around cranes the #1 safety rule is DON'T WALK UNDER THE LOAD. Chain and lifting slings and crane cable are also insanely strong, but you don't let your life depend on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darchangel posted:

I cannot quote this enough.

The pipe from my bathroom sink does not run into the pipes for the shower and bath which are right next to it. Instead it runs perfectly horizontally for about fifteen metres to the kitchen on the other side of the house.

Yes, this did lead to some astonishing blockages before I got a plumber to fix it. They had no idea why anyone would ever run their pipes like that, but were duly impressed by how stupid it was.

EDIT: My god, I almost forgot that the laundry was also run to the kitchen, which once lead to the kitchen sink overflowing when I ran the washing machine.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 31, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jows posted:

There's a reason anytime you work around cranes the #1 safety rule is DON'T WALK UNDER THE LOAD.

Not an emptyquote.

And crane lifting fixtures are inspected a lot more frequently than that sick lift you made out of home depot parts for your jeep hardtop.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

there wolf posted:

Damascus laughs.

Also Aleppo, Byblos, and Jericho. History is loving cool.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Phanatic posted:

I had a very posh British-Indian friend (think Bertie Wooster with a tan) who was fond of telling Americans that he “owned shirts older than their country”.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

I had a very posh British-Indian friend (think Bertie Wooster with a tan) who was fond of telling Americans that he “owned shirts older than their country”.

Indian is a problem. Harder to throw "you think a 2hr drive is absurdly long" back at someone from a sub continent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

there wolf posted:

Indian is a problem. Harder to throw "you think a 2hr drive is absurdly long" back at someone from a sub continent.

wät

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Seems related to the usual "A Brit thinks 200 miles is far, an American thinks 200 years is a long time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

That would be the issue here. I'm in North TX, and the clay soil here expands and contracts like a motherfucker. *Everyone's* foundation is hosed.
But, yeah, at least it wouldn't have just disappeared like yours and part of mine did.

One fun thing we discovered during all of this was that back in the 30s it was normal to have the gutter downspouts just tie into the sewer pipe. Also learned that they are going through this area and blowing colored smoke into the sewer system so if your house gutters start showing visible smoke you get a knock on the door and 12 months to fix it. A previous owner back in the 1970s decided to put in drainage (not needed) and tie THAT into the downspouts as well. So basically we made sure that every drop of rain on or near the house got showed into the leaky sewer plumbing. poo poo was so leaky that when we poured a bucket of water into one end just a tiny trickle came out of the other. Now that we're done I am glad we are not just dumping sewer water and rain water under the house anymore. The drainage we just plugged with concrete since we deemed it 100% useless the way it was installed.

We've had some serious rain periods since and there's been zero moisture in the basement. The house sits on a slope and is well above ground water level so that's to be expected though.

One positive thing from all of this is that we relocated the kitchen to another room and instead of being stuck trying to tie into the existing plumbing we could just run that poo poo wherever we wanted.