Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

orcane posted:

In old GTA games you could get creative in missions like, get there in a helicopter (possibly an armed one) and use it to bypass some gauntlet or ambush, or to quickly track down a fleeing enemy. Or park a trash truck in a strategic position so the enemies can't escape after the first cutscene. Or bring a fast or sturdy car if you expect or know you'll be doing a specific kind of chase soon. Or the aforementioned example of planting explosive charges in certain places to blow up enemies.

But in GTA5 the missions will just despawn a lot of stuff in the affected areas when you start them, and traffic/pedestrians get reduced for the mission duration and nothing random is allowed to happen at all. The game will move the car you arrived in to a neutral location, usually spawn a specific car or your character's personal vehicle, and if you have to drive friendly NPCs around they often refuse to get out of the mission-assigned car even if you get out and sit in another one (if the first car explodes that will just fail the mission instead of giving you the option to enter a new car).

GTA5 has a very pretty world and works as a bad action movie plot (Housers have been doing similar plots inspired by the exact same mobster- and heist movies for decades now). On its own the story is laughable though and the "lol America is so bad amirite" stuff wasn't even funny when the game came out (because SA and especially 4 already did ran this poo poo into the ground) and because current America is actually worse in many ways than the "satirical" version in the 7yo game. So now it's not funny but also not shocking anymore. Also, the game beats you over the head how hehehehe so funny, you work for assholes but never get paid isn't that a funny joke hehehehe. And then you have to work for assholes all the time in order to progress, and don't get paid until you're essentially done with the game and wasn't that joke funny it's super deep hehehehe.

I think the game - and especially GTAO - works on the same level RDR2 works, it's a beautiful cowboy simulator despite the lovely controls/missions/whatnot and GTA5 is a beautiful California simulator if you just want to move a large variety of vehicles around a pretty convincing, condensed version of parts of California (I think the driving is just the right combination of arcade and simulation, although some people prefer GTA4's "driving model" of sliding everywhere :psyduck:). It has plenty of minigames which are reasonably fun on their own and although the story/missions are crap a lot of the time, they're usually fine for some mindless shooting - once you get used to psychic aimbot cops (pro-tip, disable aim assist). GTAO is basically an extension of that model, drive around pretty, semi-realistic world with/against other people, blow up poo poo, drive cool cars and tanks and stuff. I don't know why brokebrains keep buying shark cards for GTAO though, that poo poo is so overpriced for "micro"-transactions it's not even funny and should be banned...

And yeah it's super obvious they only care about the game's revenue in GTAO (which is why they completely dropped all single player DLC plans the moment they released GTAO and idiots kept buying tons of ingame money). Modders/cheaters are rampant everywhere but they're basically left alone for ages, as long as they only insta-kill you, turn you into level geometry, run godmode scripts or otherwise ruin your gameplay. But the moment someone cheats a bit of ingame money, they'll be identified and banned super fast together with a lot of the people who are somehow tagged as having received hacked money, too. They even shut down the character import from old GTAO characters (from Xbox 360/PS3) to the Xbone/PS4/PC specifically because they couldn't stop people hacking on old consoles (read: they couldn't stop people cheating money on old consoles then laundering the hacked millions by transferring them to the HD version).

But hey you can earn all the GTAO stuff by just playing. A lot. Like, an absurd amount. So it's all fine, buy shark cards :suicide:

Good post. Thank you.

It makes me think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJPKOLDSos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Those posts came out sounding too harsh over an extremely silly thing, my bad :sweatdrop:

It was just a very curious thing to read but I get it if it's still your favorite.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DrNutt posted:

I have a duplicate code for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen from the Capcom bundle if anyone wants it. I've been playing the poo poo out of it since I am currently stuck in my house, and it's a great game. Highly recommend snagging up this copy if you want to play the Saints Row 2 of Dark Souls'.
Very interested, if you still have it. It's the one thing in that bundle I really wanted, but I don't really have any use for duplicate keys of everything else.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John Murdoch posted:

*raises hand* With my tolerance for weird, jank, and RPGs in general being unpredictable I've always been worried I'd bounce straight of it, hence why I don't own it. But I've still always been curious what all the fuss is about.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/anactualcatirl

As I cannot send you a PM, go ahead and shoot me a friend request on Steam and I'll send the code your way. Plus you will be able to enlist my higher level pawn for free (those words will make more sense eventually, I promise).

Cardiovorax posted:

Very interested, if you still have it. It's the one thing in that bundle I really wanted, but I don't really have any use for duplicate keys of everything else.

John Murdoch has first dibs, but if they change their mind I'd be happy to send it your way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Thank ye. :tipshat:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 29, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
e: wrong thread. how bout them steams?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My main complaint with GTA5 is that pirating it would save me like 40GB in data ill never use since it's MP content.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good post. Thank you.

Don't really wanna watch that video again, but IIRC I came away completely disagreeing with his premise. It's not that Rockstar's game design is outdated, because it's very modern - tightly controlled, focused on cinematic flash over mechanical systems, and primarily intended to shepherd players into microtransactions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good post. Thank you.

I don't know how he came up with "outdated design" when it is more inflexible and very by the numbers.

He is absolutely correct about the absurd scripting abuses in Rockstar game design and how it diverged from its early PS2 sandboxes. That you used to be allowed to prepare for missions ahead of time using the current environment around you and sometimes large swaths of the city, gets thrown out in exchange for teleporting you to some area (map emptied of potential rear end in a top hat physics) and giving you exactly what you are allowed to use in fixed shooting galleries and special setpieces to spice things up.
It shouldn't be so hostile to thinking outside the box for its genre. Sandboxes are for messing around and by extension, so should the design of missions. It wouldn't be such a big problem if you applied this inflexible system to something like platformers or corridor shooters. Better devs provide flexible design in their games and Rockstar is easily showing its age.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Very small pro-tip but what's a steam thread for if not saving a couple bucks? Mount & Blade II is releasing into EA on March 31st, and there's going to be $5 off the purchase price for anyone who owns a previous M&B game. If you don't already own one, the original is $2 on Humble right now saving you a sweet $3

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mozi posted:

it's minesweeper, yes.

this is actually part of the gameplay. as you play more you get more items and such that let you maximize your chances of getting through to the end. eventually you can expect to win the campaign most of the time

also the dev added a new mode that guarantees that all levels are solvable without guessing so you can just do that if the original way bugs you
The gameplay isn't the minesweeper element though. The gameplay is just hoping items that resolve ambiguous positions show up. Once you master the minesweeper aspect, it's just RNG as to whether a set of items shows up that you can win with, and you don't meet a wall level.

You can't expect to win most of the time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goferchan posted:

Mount & Blade II is releasing into EA on March 31st

Holy shiiiiiit :flashfap:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I want to be hype, but from what has been seen of the game so far in the MP beta stuff, it's not gonna be good. I'm almost certain that it's literally just going to be Warband again, like exactly, no real improvements to show for 10 years of work.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

K8.0 posted:

Don't really wanna watch that video again, but IIRC I came away completely disagreeing with his premise. It's not that Rockstar's game design is outdated, because it's very modern - tightly controlled, focused on cinematic flash over mechanical systems, and primarily intended to shepherd players into microtransactions.

Yeah him calling it outdated is silly, a lot of his complaints aren't really unreasonable opinions for him to hold but he has a unsophisticated understanding of game design.(I get that he is a comedy youtube person)
Ironically enough a not uncommon complaint you see about BotW is that it essentially being a big toybox makes it seems shallow because it's hard to make truly difficult gameplay in the face of infinite choice and there is a lack of cinematic moments outside of a handful of cutscenes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Honestly GTA4 is a better sandbox. The A.I. in general is, I dunno, more believable to me. The cops seem to behave more 'realistically', the chases are more interesting.

GTA4 has this whole behavioural simulation thing wired into a complex physics engine and destructible envrionment, so a lot of stuff can just happen and it feels believable. People respond in realistic ways - you can jack a car by pointing your gun at the driver (although they might panic and try to speed off), you can shoot guns out of people's hands, you can start a fight by punching someone and then dodging their punch so they hit someone else. They'll do stuff on their own too, so you get all these non-scripted scenes playing out randomly. You can get away with a lot of stuff if the cops don't see it, and even if they do it'll take a lot for them to pull a gun on you

You can get creative with it as well - if you need a cop car, call 911 on your phone, punch someone before they get there, and when they arrive they'll see that person "attacking" you (assuming they didn't run off) and arrest them, giving you time to yoink the patrol car. It just feels pretty sandboxy in a good way :shobon:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hub Cat posted:

Ironically enough a not uncommon complaint you see about BotW is that it essentially being a big toybox makes it seems shallow because it's hard to make truly difficult gameplay in the face of infinite choice and there is a lack of cinematic moments outside of a handful of cutscenes.
It's not entirely unjustified, either. Breath of the Wild is a very big game. Very big. One could reasonably say that it is too big, even, and would've been improved by reducing the scale of the world to make it feel more dense in exchange. Of course, a lot of the people who like the game particularly enjoyed that feeling of vast openness, nothing wrong with that, but I think it's fair to be a bit critical of it as well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah him calling it outdated is silly, a lot of his complaints aren't really unreasonable opinions for him to hold but he has a unsophisticated understanding of game design.(I get that he is a comedy youtube person)

Zelda has never been known for having difficult gameplay. Difficult /= Deep.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yeah, My Time at Portia has been pretty good so far after 4 hours. Feels like a faster Stardew in some ways.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's gotta be coming from people who've never played the 8-bit games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Been playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 split/screen with a buddy of mine, from the Humble Bundle Capcom Bundle. It's a ton of fun, I highly recommend it. I've only dipped into the Raid Mode a lil bit but it seems to be, what if Mercenaries was also an RPG? Zombies have HP and levels, guns have levels, theres random loot and poo poo. It's pretty good so far, but its been piss easy at the beginning. I imagine it gets way harder shortly. The maps seem to be vaguely reminiscent of areas from past games. The moment to moment gameplay feels very Mercenaries. Right now I'm playing Hunk and my buddy is playing Lady Hunk which is the same outfit except miniskirt.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 30, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

goferchan posted:

Very small pro-tip but what's a steam thread for if not saving a couple bucks? Mount & Blade II is releasing into EA on March 31st, and there's going to be $5 off the purchase price for anyone who owns a previous M&B game. If you don't already own one, the original is $2 on Humble right now saving you a sweet $3

FWIW they moved the release up a day. It launches in...10 1/2 hours, I think.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

baka kaba posted:

GTA4 has this whole behavioural simulation thing wired into a complex physics engine and destructible envrionment, so a lot of stuff can just happen and it feels believable. People respond in realistic ways - you can jack a car by pointing your gun at the driver (although they might panic and try to speed off), you can shoot guns out of people's hands, you can start a fight by punching someone and then dodging their punch so they hit someone else. They'll do stuff on their own too, so you get all these non-scripted scenes playing out randomly. You can get away with a lot of stuff if the cops don't see it, and even if they do it'll take a lot for them to pull a gun on you

You can get creative with it as well - if you need a cop car, call 911 on your phone, punch someone before they get there, and when they arrive they'll see that person "attacking" you (assuming they didn't run off) and arrest them, giving you time to yoink the patrol car. It just feels pretty sandboxy in a good way :shobon:

Yeah I wish GTAV had all that stuff because GTAIV is pretty much 100% better as a slapping groceries/coffee/phones out of people's hands and shoving them down stairs simulator.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

That's gotta be coming from people who've never played the 8-bit games.

I recall Zelda 2 being difficult but not Zelda 1. Regardless, that's the first two incarnations in an over 30 year franchise.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

punk rebel ecks posted:

My point isn't Zelda is too easy and therefore bad(I actually really like BotW for what it's worth but I've always been a sim weirdo), it's that for at least some subset of people his reasons for saying Red Dead=bad and Zelda=good are their reasons for saying Zelda=bad and Red Dead=good(I don't care if this exact specific Venn Diagram actually exists there's people that complain about these things in Zelda is all I'm saying. I'm pretty sure he actually likes RDR2 in spite of all that anyway). I'm not even saying Zelda is too easy either, I'm saying that plopping down toys and saying "Go Nuts!" can lead to issues, that too much choice can actually be a problem in designing fun engaging gameplay for players. (I guess I shouldn't have said difficult when engaging is more clear but w/e)

I actually agree with a lot of his complaints about RDR2 and think it's a fun but deeply flawed game, I just disagree with the underlying premise of it being outdated. Also like that other guy said Zelda 1 and 2 are hard.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 30, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
He doesn't even talk about it being "outdated" much, if anything he chose a misleading title for the video.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oh also he has dumb opinions about Mario:colbert:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

My point isn't Zelda is too easy and therefore bad(I actually really like BotW for what it's worth but I've always been a sim weirdo), it's that for at least some subset of people his reasons for saying Red Dead=bad and Zelda=good are their reasons for saying Zelda=bad and Red Dead=good(I don't care if this exact specific Venn Diagram actually exists there's people that complain about these things in Zelda is all I'm saying. I'm pretty sure he actually likes RDR2 in spite of all that anyway). I'm not even saying Zelda is too easy either, I'm saying that plopping down toys and saying "Go Nuts!" can lead to issues, that too much choice can actually be a problem in designing fun engaging gameplay for players. (I guess I shouldn't have said difficult when engaging is more clear but w/e)

I actually agree with a lot of his complaints about RDR2 and think it's a fun but deeply flawed game, I just disagree with the underlying premise of it being outdated. Also like that other guy said Zelda 1 and 2 are hard.

To be fair, it's because the "here are you toys and play" style of gameplay is becoming more and more rare in the AAA space. There's a reason why BOTW was so refreshing that other open-world games rarely are. It's fine to enjoy more of a scripted style gameplay for better presentation and difficulty, but those are so much more common than open ended type games.

Hub Cat posted:

Oh also he has dumb opinions about Mario:colbert:

It can't be worse than this literal 2 hour video of a guy complaining that Super Mario Odyssey isn't literally Super Mario 64-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJx5xt2cB0

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, they call them "sandboxes" for a reason. It's the difference between toys and games: one is meant for making your own fun, the other is a structured experience with rules and victory conditions. I think a big part of why real sandbox games keep getting less popular is that even the most structured AAA game still offers you a lot of freedom these days, enough that the structure doesn't feel stifling, but also without that sense of "I really have no idea what to do now" that tends to plague the most open games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

explosivo posted:

Holy shiiiiiit :flashfap:

It won't anymore, they changed the date.

It's out in less than ten hours from this post.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don’t currently have GTAV installed but can you start fights with random NPCs by simply staring at them and/or following them around and invading their personal space? That was something that was bizarrely entertaining in GTA IV.

I used to play a little game where I would start with no weapons, and then try to goad a random person into attacking me, and then use their weapons to get more weapons and see how far I could get without buying anything.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

baka kaba posted:

oh I dunno then - it doesn't take long to load, you should hear the intro logo videos and all that after a few seconds, if you can't hear anything it's probably stuck - I'd check task manager to see if it's even running, and definitely try the Verify Game Files thing

This is from a ways back but the issue ended up being a botched video driver installation! I'm dumb, prey is working fine now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good post. Thank you.

I haven't played RDR2 but my impression of GTAV was that they gave us this big beautiful world but was really not all that interested in it. They just wanted to recreate their highly scripted recreation of several movies. Witcher 3 managed to make a world with more depth.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 30, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

punk rebel ecks posted:

It can't be worse than this literal 2 hour video of a guy complaining that Super Mario Odyssey isn't literally Super Mario 64-2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJx5xt2cB0

:wtf: Why is this dude making an extended comparison of Nioh and Dark Souls in this Mario video?? Is there really over an hour of him nitpicking all the individual types of moons when his point could have been summed up with a couple minutes of talking and some candid clips of worst offenders?(I skipped through and it kept going and going) Does he have much to actually say beyond "I found this content tedious and/or not fun to me"? (I'm not watching the whole thing to find out) This guy needs an editor. Odyssey is like a perfect example of a game that you beat and then play the extra content till you get bored and move on.
Edit:Caught the after credits stinger thing before closing the video and that's such a bitter and weird way to think about a game that's a huge love letter to Mario fans.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 30, 2020

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

How dare you install mods in MY CAREFULLY CRAFTED GAME?! - Rockstar devs
When GTAO became a big thing thanks to microtransactions, they didn't even bother with the SP ever since.
Even better, they very quickly stopped 'porting' the Multiplayer vehicles to the singleplayer because duh, you wouldn't buy Shark Cards if you could play with them in SP!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wait wtf Mount and Blade II will be out (early access) in less than ten hours and yet there is no buy button yet???? What the gently caress I want to mash that bad boy and start downloading.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finished Astrologaster! It was a fun time the whole way through. If you're fretting about the license though don't, it doesn't matter.

Oxxidation posted:

the first nier's gameplay is better

Yes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

:wtf: Why is this dude making an extended comparison of Nioh and Dark Souls in this Mario video?? Is there really over an hour of him nitpicking all the individual types of moons when his point could have been summed up with a couple minutes of talking and some candid clips of worst offenders?(I skipped through and it kept going and going) Does he have much to actually say beyond "I found this content tedious and/or not fun to me"? (I'm not watching the whole thing to find out) This guy needs an editor. Odyssey is like a perfect example of a game that you beat and then play the extra content till you get bored and move on.
Edit:Caught the after credits stinger thing before closing the video and that's such a bitter and weird way to think about a game that's a huge love letter to Mario fans.

He's also very patronizing about it to. It's his most hated video and he's very "*sigh* Nintendo fans..." about it.

I also enjoyed how he complained how the levels were unoriginal like him complaining about how the Sand Kingdom is just a common sand level. Yes, the level that is about a world of Day of the Dead skeletons who live right by a pyramid that is an alien spaceship is unoriginal...

Oxxidation posted:

the first nier's gameplay is better

I feel that I'm one of two people who didn't like Nier: Automata.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So I bought Shadow of War and started playing it and wow it is definitely Shadow of More-dor. Even the opening felt like I was just transitioning into an expansion that just happened to have a brief refresher tutorial at the start of it.

The one thing I struggled with is how spongy the regular orcs are on Nemesis - unless that's just literally how much HP they always have and I need to get better levelled weapons. Just killing a single orc took ages without an execution and now you can't do executions as often and have to talent in ground ones to make them fast enough to do in the middle of the inevitable packs of orcs attacking you. I definitely avoid combat more now than I did in the first one.

Enjoyed the online nemesis missions as just bite-sized predator missions - three of the ones I fought had multiple kills despite having a fatal weakness to just being shot in the face across from the entire map?? Come on guys.

The nemesis orcs are insanely wordy now and sound a little less "orky" than I remember, but I can forgive that based on the one time I was about to get killed by an orc and a Gondorian just appears out of nowhere to save my rear end, which I had no idea was a thing that could happen, and as I waved goodbye to him and jumped over a ledge all of a sudden I get tackled from behind by a new nemesis who then taunted me to my face about how pathetic it was I needed help. :allears:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

So I bought Shadow of War and started playing it and wow it is definitely Shadow of More-dor. Even the opening felt like I was just transitioning into an expansion that just happened to have a brief refresher tutorial at the start of it.

The one thing I struggled with is how spongy the regular orcs are on Nemesis - unless that's just literally how much HP they always have and I need to get better levelled weapons. Just killing a single orc took ages without an execution and now you can't do executions as often and have to talent in ground ones to make them fast enough to do in the middle of the inevitable packs of orcs attacking you. I definitely avoid combat more now than I did in the first one.

Enjoyed the online nemesis missions as just bite-sized predator missions - three of the ones I fought had multiple kills despite having a fatal weakness to just being shot in the face across from the entire map?? Come on guys.

The nemesis orcs are insanely wordy now and sound a little less "orky" than I remember, but I can forgive that based on the one time I was about to get killed by an orc and a Gondorian just appears out of nowhere to save my rear end, which I had no idea was a thing that could happen, and as I waved goodbye to him and jumped over a ledge all of a sudden I get tackled from behind by a new nemesis who then taunted me to my face about how pathetic it was I needed help. :allears:

The difficulties in that game are kind of trash, to be honest. Normal is kind of easy, Nemesis is too spongy, Gravewalker is silly and Brutal is much faster but it also leaves you very vulnerable to one hit kills. I'd probably stick to normal to be honest.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Det_no posted:

The difficulties in that game are kind of trash, to be honest. Normal is kind of easy, Nemesis is too spongy, Gravewalker is silly and Brutal is much faster but it also leaves you very vulnerable to one hit kills. I'd probably stick to normal to be honest.
I played on Nemesis and lost interest around the halfway point out of boredom. It wasn't brutally hard but it takes FOREVER to take down captains after you're in the level 30 range because they're immune to everything. You could play for over an hour taking down a fort and if you gently caress up just once and die, you've gained literally nothing and wasted that entire hour (and potentially made the opposition even stronger).

Also your character is maxed out by halfway through the game since most of the upgrade perks are sidegrades and you can only choose one of them to be active at a time.

Shadow of Mordor was a much better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Joe Man posted:

I played on Nemesis and lost interest around the halfway point out of boredom. It wasn't brutally hard but it takes FOREVER to take down captains after you're in the level 30 range because they're immune to everything. You could play for over an hour taking down a fort and if you gently caress up just once and die, you've gained literally nothing and wasted that entire hour (and potentially made the opposition even stronger).

Also your character is maxed out by halfway through the game since most of the upgrade perks are sidegrades and you can only choose one of them to be active at a time.

Shadow of Mordor was a much better game.

I thought I was near the end of Shadow of War since I was on (what I thought was?) the last of the maps (the one that's very fire-themed) and had most of the unlocks, then I looked at a walkthrough and saw that I was only halfway through the plot levels??? That game needed to be chopped to 2/3rds its length or have a more interesting gameplay cycle, because those fortress sieges are teeeedious affairs.