Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wallet posted:

Plants seem to be doing plant things real good now that the sun is coming around.

And this little Echeveria purpusorum (maybe/probably) is going for it:

The cristate Opuntia subulata I found disheveled at Home Depot a while ago also seems to be recovering alright after repotting (it was a lot more root bound than I expected), but its weird shape is kinda hard to photograph:

That's some happy looking cacti/succs. What's your potting mix there? I'm guessing the top rocks are just a dressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nosre posted:

That's some happy looking cacti/succs. What's your potting mix there? I'm guessing the top rocks are just a dressing

Yeah, the top dressing is just 1/4 inch pumice. I'm using cheap succulent mix from wherever or, honestly, whatever came in the pot with the plant (dirt someone sprinkled some pearlite into as far as I can tell) cut approximately 50/50 with a mixture of turface and calcined clay.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 30, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Spring is truly loving!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crosspost from PI

Re: How to keep those cats from making GBS threads in my garden, without harming them

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay so after doing a bit more research, I’ve decided to go with a combined assault. I plan to lay chicken wire on the ground where my apple trees are (which is the only part of my yard where this is feasible), set up a motion activated sprinkler (or hopefully two, if I can afford it), and apply cat repellent spray and/or granules around the individual plants themselves.

The chicken wire is gonna be a pain. I’m gonna have to rent a chainsaw to remove a couple of thick stumps to make the ground level before I lay it down. I’m also a little worried I might trip and fall on it, so if y’all know any ways to minimize the possibility of that I’m all ears.

I need y’all to recommend me some good motion sprinklers, repellent sprays, and repellent granules. For the sprinkler(s), I’m leaning toward an Orbit 62120 Garden Enforcer and, if I can afford a second one after that, either an Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer or a second Garden Enforcer, but do tell me if there’s anything better. I have no idea what sprays or granules are good. The ones Google showed me either had questionable reviews or were made from potentially toxic poo poo like the aforementioned citrus oils.

Help me!

Yeah, it turns out citrus oils can be toxic to cats, so that idea is out.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I. M. Gei posted:

Crosspost from PI

Re: How to keep those cats from making GBS threads in my garden, without harming them

Those sprinklers sound good, but what do you do when you want to get to the garden bed they're protecting?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Those sprinklers sound good, but what do you do when you want to get to the garden bed they're protecting?

Turn them off?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I. M. Gei posted:

Crosspost from PI

I just want to say I think its really cool that while you hate picking up cat poop more than anyone I think I've ever heard you still care for the animals. Kindness is punk

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Turn them off?

You have to approach the sprinkler to turn it off.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The sprinklers have sensors that can distinguish between humans and small animals like cats, so it sprays at the latter but not at the former.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You have to approach the sprinkler to turn it off.

turn it off upstream somewhere like the spigot

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Motion activated sprinklers are super useful. We used to use them at my old work site to keep birds off our dock and boat. There was a flock of black turnstones that loved to hang out there, and leave an unholy mess. Quick shot of water would shoo them along right away. Didn't help with the otters though. Those brazen stinkers would stare you down and piss directly on the mooring lines while just out of arm's reach.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I. M. Gei posted:

The chicken wire is gonna be a pain. I’m gonna have to rent a chainsaw to remove a couple of thick stumps to make the ground level before I lay it down. I’m also a little worried I might trip and fall on it, so if y’all know any ways to minimize the possibility of that I’m all ears.

Ground staples maybe?

Used to hold down drip irrigation bits and landscape fabric. Available at Home Depot, irrigation shops, and (shudder) WalMart.

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:

I. M. Gei posted:

For the chicken wire, you could also try laying down some appropriately sized rocks on the corners/edges to keep it weighed down.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hexigrammus posted:

Ground staples maybe?

Used to hold down drip irrigation bits and landscape fabric. Available at Home Depot, irrigation shops, and (shudder) WalMart.

I know about those. I used ground stakes to lay down some ground cover in the area I’m trying to protect. I meant that I was worried about tripping over the edge of the wire wherever layers overlap, but then I realized that if that was something to worry about then it’d be a problem with the ground cover too, which it’s not, so... nevermind about that.

... actually I guess I am a bit worried about my shoe treads catching in the wire loops and causing me to trip and fall, but... anywho...

Right now I’m more wondering how effective chicken wire is at repelling cats compared to Scat Mat garden spike strips, and if I should save my money to buy those instead.

I’m also thinking I might forego the spray since a lot of what I’m reading suggests that repellent sprays tend to work better against domestic cats than ferals. I’m still planning to use granules, but at the moment I think I’m covered on everything except those. So if y’all can recommend me good cat repellent granules, I’d really appreciate it.

(For the record, yes, I know granules won’t repel all cats. They should hopefully repel some, though.)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 2, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Meanwhile, in non-feces-related news...

One of my newly-planted apple trees has its first flowers! :neckbeard:

This tree was by far the furthest along of all of them when it arrived at my house. It already had a few leaves coming in then, and had a bunch more by the time I finished hardening it off. Then it took off like a loving rocket as soon as I put it in the ground; less than 2 days after planting it had about 2 or 3 times as many leaves as before, and the ones that were already there had to be at least 5 times bigger.

Weirdly, these flowers don’t seem to have a smell... I’m sure there’s a good reason why, but I thought it was odd.

The other 8 trees I’ve planted so far look to be doing pretty good too, although they’re not nearly as progressed as this one. All but a few are leafing, and of those that aren’t, all but one have green buds forming. I’m hoping the other one gets there pretty soon.

The rest of my trees arrived at my house several days ago. I’m hoping to hame them all in the ground in the next few days. When I’m done planting, we’ll have a total of 19 apple trees making up our espalier... it was supposed to be 20, but Stark Bros hosed up and sent one less Starkspur golden delicious than I ordered :argh: (they’ve got me down to get another one in time for Fall planting).

My wall trellis is slowly coming along. Keyword “SLOWLY”. I’m making a little bit of progress on it every day, but I am a little bit peeved at how long it’s taking me to finish it... maybe I’d have more work done by now if I didn’t only work on it between 4 PM and sundown. :shepface:

I have a quick pruning question though. To make an espalier, I’m supposed to prune off all of the lower branches on the tree above. When can I do that? Is it too late to do it this season now that the leaves and flowers are showing, or am I still good there? And should I cut all of them off at once, or just do one or two at a time every X number of days?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I love that after a few months of getting into this hobby, I can spot and name things I would have ignored earlier especially things that are flowering now. My favorite game is seeing how far wisteria escaped someones garden.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It's always out of control. I want one very much.

I think when/if I own my own home I'll plant one and prune and stake it so it turns into its slightly more manageable tree form.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ReapersTouch posted:

I love that after a few months of getting into this hobby, I can spot and name things I would have ignored earlier especially things that are flowering now. My favorite game is seeing how far wisteria escaped someones garden.

It really makes you notice more stuff. A few years ago I decided I wanted to be able to identify most all the native trees in my area, and now I don't just see trees, I see water oaks, laurel oaks, scarlet oaks, turkey oaks, blackjack oaks, Spanish oaks, live oaks, white oaks, swamp chestnut oaks, post oaks, 4 varieties of pine tree, a few varieties of magnolias etc etc etc. Same as I've learned more about ornamental plants and flowers -I pay much more attention to the seasons and come to appreciate them for what blooms then. It even helps my memory-I can't remember what month a thing was happening, but I remember the azaleas were blooming so it must have been February or March.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I once rented a house that had a wisteria in the front yard, and absolutely nothing for it to climb on. I don't know who's genius idea that was, but it resulted in me frequently lopping off vines at the base of the trunk, lest they take over the entire lawn. I scavenged a bit of lattice for it to grow on at one point but never got around to doing much more than that. Still more than anybody else had done, though.

Personally, I tend to notice figs, raspberries, iceplant, and periwinkles because they're all considered highly invasive here. That same house had a fig tree in the back yard and while I won't deny the fruit was nice, finding fig volunteers in all of my other plantings was not. Even years later, things that I've given my mother-in-law are popping up with tiny fig trees. :sigh:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

I. M. Gei posted:

I have a quick pruning question though. To make an espalier, I’m supposed to prune off all of the lower branches on the tree above. When can I do that? Is it too late to do it this season now that the leaves and flowers are showing, or am I still good there? And should I cut all of them off at once, or just do one or two at a time every X number of days?
Are you using some kind of guide or book somewhere? The idea is that you pick a bud on the central trunk that is at around the height of your first horizontal wire, then snip the trunk at that point. Then you let a couple of buds turn into branches below that and start bending them ASAP with wire and bamboo.

Its kind of hard to tell from your pictures. Its less about when you do it in the late winter/early spring, and more about doing it right. You need the branches that start to grow to be bent into shape before they harden. You can always strip the tree of extra branches or top it again if it starts to shoot up. Do it all at once, you want to control the tree growth. You can let the flowers set into fruit and then just pinch them off when they start to develop. Careful not to damage the spurs if they are on a branch you are keeping.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

cheese posted:

Are you using some kind of guide or book somewhere? The idea is that you pick a bud on the central trunk that is at around the height of your first horizontal wire, then snip the trunk at that point. Then you let a couple of buds turn into branches below that and start bending them ASAP with wire and bamboo.

This is what I’m doing. I just haven’t done it to that tree in the pics because it’s one of two that isn’t tall enough yet. I already topped the rest of them though.

cheese posted:

Its kind of hard to tell from your pictures. Its less about when you do it in the late winter/early spring, and more about doing it right. You need the branches that start to grow to be bent into shape before they harden. You can always strip the tree of extra branches or top it again if it starts to shoot up. Do it all at once, you want to control the tree growth. You can let the flowers set into fruit and then just pinch them off when they start to develop. Careful not to damage the spurs if they are on a branch you are keeping.

Should I trim any of the new branches toward the bottom of the central trunk while they’re growing? Like early on in the process, when they’re an inch or so long? So the tree can focus on the branches at the top?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I. M. Gei posted:

I. M. Gei posted:

Should I trim any of the new branches toward the bottom of the central trunk while they’re growing? Like early on in the process, when they’re an inch or so long? So the tree can focus on the branches at the top?

You can cut them at any time.

The reason winter pruning is recommended is that with bare branches, it’s easier to see the structure of the tree, and the energy has been pulled roots of the tree, so if you prune branches then, the tree will to some extent grow more vigorously on the remaining branches. It doesn’t waste energy on branches you didn’t want anyway.

Once the tree has leafed out, it doesn’t make any sense to wait till summer or fall or the next winter to do the pruning. Anywhere you see growth where you don’t want it, “nip it in the bud”, as the saying goes.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bi-la kaifa posted:

It's always out of control. I want one very much.

I think when/if I own my own home I'll plant one and prune and stake it so it turns into its slightly more manageable tree form.

There's an American version of wisteria called Amethyst Falls that supposedly a native, non-invasive and doesn't get too wild. Might look into that

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Many babies were harvested this fine day.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Platystemon posted:

You can cut them at any time.

The reason winter pruning is recommended is that with bare branches, it’s easier to see the structure of the tree, and the energy has been pulled roots of the tree, so if you prune branches then, the tree will to some extent grow more vigorously on the remaining branches. It doesn’t waste energy on branches you didn’t want anyway.

Once the tree has leafed out, it doesn’t make any sense to wait till summer or fall or the next winter to do the pruning. Anywhere you see growth where you don’t want it, “nip it in the bud”, as the saying goes.
Yep, Apple trees are very forgiving. Waiting doesnt hurt the tree, just means wasted energy on branches or leaves you dont want, and the risk of branches getting less flexible, making your job harder.

I. M. Gei posted:

Sure. Ideally during the first spring, you have topped the tree and a side branch growing to the left and right at the level of your first wire support. I'd prune down to one bud/branch going each way and let the tree pour its energy into that. Don't flip out if the side branches are not the perfect height, a little lower is fine as you can arc the branch up to the wire a few inches. Keep in mind that the more energy the tree puts into branches and leaves you prune, the less it has in its roots and the slower its growth will be. As Playstemon said, better to pinch off unwanted buds than let them grow into leafed out small branches.

Remember Espalier is a long term technique, designed to devote the first 3-5 years of a trees growth into making an amazingly shaped tree that will pump out fruit for decades.

cheese fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It really makes you notice more stuff. A few years ago I decided I wanted to be able to identify most all the native trees in my area, and now I don't just see trees, I see water oaks, laurel oaks, scarlet oaks, turkey oaks, blackjack oaks, Spanish oaks, live oaks, white oaks, swamp chestnut oaks, post oaks, 4 varieties of pine tree, a few varieties of magnolias etc etc etc. Same as I've learned more about ornamental plants and flowers -I pay much more attention to the seasons and come to appreciate them for what blooms then. It even helps my memory-I can't remember what month a thing was happening, but I remember the azaleas were blooming so it must have been February or March.

Yeah, all this. I'm still learning all the plants we have out here (a lot!) but trees have been a good start.

Memory by plants/the environment has a venerable history. E.g. the traditional Zulu calendar was one of lunar months, with names tied to events typical at that time of the year. (There were also regional differences tied to the local ecosystem.) So there's the month when the aloes bloom, the month when the dogs go into heat, the month when the paths get overgrown, the month when the winter fires are started, the month when the wind picks up and starts blowing the dust, etc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are there any GOOD pet poo poo digester powders/sprays/whatevers out there that DON’T require dumping all the poo poo in a special pets-only “septic tank” bin?

The cat poo poo in my yard is a lot easier for me to scoop when it’s dry...... but it won’t loving stop raining where I live, and it pisses me off, and I want to know if there’s something out there I can put on the poo poo that’ll go ahead and start breaking it down and/or drying it out now, so it’s easier for me to scoop it when I do that.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have some bamboo that is spindly as hell and I'd like to try and figure out what I need to be doing differently so it grows some leaves and provides some privacy. The previous HO buried a metal trough and planted this stuff. I've occasionally watered it but figured it probably got enough moisture from rain and stuff? Should I be watering this thing? How much?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM8PtsQl-bU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

At least IME that yellow bamboo isn't as invasive as most bamboo, but that's like saying coronavirus isn't as contagious as the measles. The PO did you and all your neighbors a big favor by planting it in a trough. If it's the variety I think it is, that's pretty much what it looks like-it's not going to get a bunch more leaves on it. You could try and fertilizer it, but its likely rootbound in the trough and has grown as much as it can in the small area to which it is blessedly confined. If you want bigger bamboo, you probably would have to take it out of the trough, but be prepared to have bamboo randomly start appearing early every summer anywhere in about a 50' radius around those plants.

My advice would be
and plant something else that will do the things you want (privacy etc)

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i dont know if this is the place to ask, but i thought i'd give it a shot. i have a ton of jasmine ground cover that, for some reason, has developed dead spots. most of it has the spring new growth going, but these spots are just dry, dead brown. any ideas on how to fix this?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

big trivia FAIL posted:

i dont know if this is the place to ask, but i thought i'd give it a shot. i have a ton of jasmine ground cover that, for some reason, has developed dead spots. most of it has the spring new growth going, but these spots are just dry, dead brown. any ideas on how to fix this?

... and I would like some ideas on how to CAUSE this, as our house has similar-looking jasmine ground cover that I would like to replace with some azalea bushes. I drew up a landscape diagram and everything.

My dad — who owns this house — was initially on board with the idea, but now he has cold feet and I must take matters into my own hands.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

big trivia FAIL posted:

My mom loved jasmine, but she had some fungus problem one year. Got rid of the dead parts and used some kind of fungicide on it and it bounced back.

I. M. Gei posted:

... and I would like some ideas on how to CAUSE this, as our house has similar-looking jasmine ground cover that I would like to replace with some azalea bushes. I drew up a landscape diagram and everything.

My dad — who owns this house — was initially on board with the idea, but now he has cold feet and I must take matters into my own hands.

Ivy killer will take it mostly out as we unfortunately discovered after an over-enthusiastic spraying campaign. Or if you're clearing the whole area, you can smother it with some plastic tarping or cardboard for a month or so. It's fairly hardy, but not like wisteria or blackberries where you need a herd of fire-breathing goats to make sure it won't come back.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Could be larvae/grub damage. Maybe dig up a shovel or two and see if there’s any shitheads hiding within!!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

My little garden is continuing

Almost everything has sprouted

Pretty much everything has sprouted and autumn is holding out long and hot for as long as it can muster which is helping everything

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Yay! I'm so happy to have found this thread. I started my first ever gardening project in the fall - a tiny 4x4 raised bed cutting garden. I just kind of dumped a bunch of flower bulbs under some soil and hoped for the best. Now I have the prettiest garden blooming with anemones and ranunculus and I'm hooked.

I have a very dumb newbie question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I live in the Bay Area (zone 10a) where the soil never freezes and the weather is pretty consistent all year round. Do I need to plant on a spring/fall schedule to plant new bulbs? Do seasons even matter somewhere with consistent climate, or can I just plant them whenever and watch everything bloom ~3 months later?

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Tremors posted:

It is bringing forth a mighty stench. Time to go outside!

Oh my goodness! Is this from the bulb I mailed you awhile back? So cool!

Mine haven't flowered ever and I can't tell if I'm relieved or disappointed about that. I moved abroad and left my giants with my mom, who despite being a plant person seems to be trying to kill them :(

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

amethystbliss posted:

I have a very dumb newbie question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I live in the Bay Area (zone 10a) where the soil never freezes and the weather is pretty consistent all year round. Do I need to plant on a spring/fall schedule to plant new bulbs? Do seasons even matter somewhere with consistent climate, or can I just plant them whenever and watch everything bloom ~3 months later?

That's not a dumb question! I had to do a little digging to find the answer, but it sounds like you'll want to obey the planting schedule, as the bulbs still go into their dormancy period which will happen even when the temperature is rather constant. It does sounds like they love the climate and do exceptionally well if the soil is agreeable to them.

Personally, I always like to experiment and gently caress with plants, so maybe chuck a few fall/spring planting bulbs in the ground at the opposite planting time and see what goes down >:]

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Horrible pictures because I had my baby in one arm while trying to take pictures. Does anyone know what this seed is? It came in a pack of shade wildflower seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Horrible pictures because I had my baby in one arm while trying to take pictures. Does anyone know what this seed is? It came in a pack of shade wildflower seeds.

It doesn't look like any of the typical seeds found in most shade mixes and most mixes use a lot of the same stuff. Stuff like Lobularia, Echinacea, Mimulus, Linum, Cheiranthus, Aquilegia, poppies, Digitalis etc

You wouldn't happen to know the company that produced the seed mix?

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 8, 2020