Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

That's got to be them thrown out of the EU, surely?

It's okay, they didn't make the Germans mad by spending too much money on pensions and healthcare, the Hungarians will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OzyMandrill posted:

Nope. From the bbc:

Just replace all columns with "go to Magneto jail" already, jfc

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OzyMandrill posted:

Nope. From the bbc:

this is so incredibly, incredibly poo poo that I thought they must have misinterpreted the advice but nope, here it is

it's stupid that you don't have to restart the clock if a second or third person develops symptoms, because it assumes that the first person definitely had coronavirus and passed it to the second and third ones when, without a positive test (lol), mum's and child 1's cough could have just been a normal cold or something and they could still be susceptible to infection from dad who actually does have it

it's absolutely loving insane that someone who didn't develop symptoms during the initial 14-day isolation period doesn't restart the clock every time another person comes down with symptoms. What on earth is the rationale for that? they may have had an asymptomatic case or just as likely they just might not have caught it (or developed symptoms) yet, but either way they're potentially living with an infective covid patient. If they weren't living with a third person who had previously had a cough the advice would be to isolate, so what is it about someone else previously having had a cough that makes a difference?

for the first one, yeah, on the balance of probabilities if multiple people living in close quarters come down with similar symptoms in quick succession then it might well ve the same bug getting passed around, but I can't think of any reason for assuming that just because someone didn't get infected by the first person in their household to have a bug they won't pick it up from the second or third person to have it

also the advice is presented in a pretty confusing manner and I feel like I'm reading a badly translated boardgame rule book

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All of this is just bollocks until there's tests. When are they releasing the tests and to whom?

XMNN posted:

I feel like I'm reading a badly translated boardgame rule book
Welcome to UK legislation.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they still haven't really told the general public about how you feel okay some days and then it comes back and you can be sick for far longer than 14 days

or that it starts as 'mild' and you find out where the dice land about a week later

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yet that graph has been cited by my workplace as providing "clear guidance on the measures". The same workplace that is requiring people to come into the office and is threatening people who don't with redundancy.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52091905

A bit of a counterpoint to all of the articles sucking Formula 1's dick for knocking together a few ventilators. If I was one of the drivers, I'd be tempted to say "Sure, but your 76 year old rear end is coming with us".

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I've had a persistent cough, temperature and aches and pains so I told work I need to self isolate for a week.

The first question I got was, when are you getting tested for it?
ARE THEY JUST WILLINGLY IGNORANT??

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

XMNN posted:

also the advice is presented in a pretty confusing manner and I feel like I'm reading a badly translated boardgame rule book

DomCums & Lockdowns

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Soylent Yellow posted:

A bit of a counterpoint to all of the articles sucking Formula 1's dick for knocking together a few ventilators. If I was one of the drivers, I'd be tempted to say "Sure, but your 76 year old rear end is coming with us".

But red bull are a bunch of tests and mercedes are cool and good, so this isn't unexpected.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

XMNN posted:

this is so incredibly, incredibly poo poo that I thought they must have misinterpreted the advice but nope, here it is

it's stupid that you don't have to restart the clock if a second or third person develops symptoms, because it assumes that the first person definitely had coronavirus and passed it to the second and third ones when, without a positive test (lol), mum's and child 1's cough could have just been a normal cold or something and they could still be susceptible to infection from dad who actually does have it

it's absolutely loving insane that someone who didn't develop symptoms during the initial 14-day isolation period doesn't restart the clock every time another person comes down with symptoms. What on earth is the rationale for that? they may have had an asymptomatic case or just as likely they just might not have caught it (or developed symptoms) yet, but either way they're potentially living with an infective covid patient. If they weren't living with a third person who had previously had a cough the advice would be to isolate, so what is it about someone else previously having had a cough that makes a difference?

for the first one, yeah, on the balance of probabilities if multiple people living in close quarters come down with similar symptoms in quick succession then it might well ve the same bug getting passed around, but I can't think of any reason for assuming that just because someone didn't get infected by the first person in their household to have a bug they won't pick it up from the second or third person to have it

The underlying assumption is that the isolation is perfect and a family of four living in one house and feeding each other can have 100% chance of not giving or gaining the virus once they're in isolation. It's bonkers.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

zentigeist posted:

I've had a persistent cough, temperature and aches and pains so I told work I need to self isolate for a week.

A lot of people are just assuming you will get tested for it because that is what would happen in a sane country with competent rulers. They continue to believe this until someone they know gets ill/dies and never gets tested.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

a pipe smoking dog posted:

A lot of people are just assuming you will get tested for it because that is what would happen in a sane country with competent rulers. They continue to believe this until someone they know gets ill/dies and never gets tested.

When I phoned in a someone from work called me just to see if I'm okay and was like "Well I mean if you do have it you've given it to everyone already probably". Kind of makes me hope I don't actually have it and it's just an unrelated sickness tbh,

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Z the IVth posted:

There are reports of viral shedding for up to 37 days post-infection.

Maybe Charles is getting tired of waiting for the throne.

yeah worth reiterating the median time for viral shed and infectivity to stop is 20 days aka 3 weeks

the longest time recorded is about 40 days

so a safe quarantine is 40 days. the word comes from quarantena from the black death period, which means 40 days (thanks HL: Alyx).
ye olde people who thought disease were caused by smells took this stuff more seriously than us lol

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

zentigeist posted:

Tell em to get to gently caress that you have an official note from the NHS by doing this quiz: https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/ (it spits out a certificate at the end that is emailed to you. If you live with someone else its 14 days)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

josh04 posted:

The underlying assumption is that the isolation is perfect and a family of four living in one house and feeding each other can have 100% chance of not giving or gaining the virus once they're in isolation. It's bonkers.
yeah, they specifically refer to the maximum incubation period, so effectively they're assuming that every person in the household will either be inoculated on the first day of the first person's symptoms or not at all throughout the entire several weeks of living in a house with them. this is despite them also advising that you segregate the infected person, which only makes sense if they're still infected

like I realise that there's probably some sort of attempt at compromise, if it was a big household which got unlucky with timings they could all be stuck inside for six months of something, but that seems like an edge case which even the limited amount of testing and support for vulnerable people we have atm could solve

and also we're already telling all sorts of people that they must remain indoors for months

I'm still in awe every day at how badly they've hosed everything up about the response to this

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

justcola posted:

Tell em to get to gently caress that you have an official note from the NHS by doing this quiz: https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/ (it spits out a certificate at the end that is emailed to you. If you live with someone else its 14 days)

I already got that note! It was actually a lifesaver!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Soylent Yellow posted:

They built cpap machines not ventilators.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Cross post from the main Covid thread but :yikes:

https://twitter.com/DrPeckPNP/status/1244062665535864832

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The good news is, this procedure also clears out any errant magnets

minema
May 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

They built cpap machines not ventilators.

which are not being recommended for routine use in covid patients because they potentially generate aerosols that can spray out the side of the mask

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

zentigeist posted:

I already got that note! It was actually a lifesaver!

It takes the piss a bit that so many people are realising how loving poo poo and badly organised their places of work are. Heard from a bunch of people about their managers unable to give any guidance as they are waiting from the higher-ups, who in turn are waiting for government advice that is vague enough that everyone should be at work right now this minute no slacking (whilst most of senior management work from home themselves) - like they are willing to risk killing employees and their families for the sake of clutching onto some early 20th century idea of what work is.

Anyway, good luck with it! I found the symptoms got better then worse, my appetite totally went and I was either boiling hot or freezing cold. Lasted around 7 days for myself, but all the symptoms and everything seems unique for each person.

I've had a funny twinge in my back ever since and wondering if I've pinched a nerve through coughing - but also can't do anything about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

minema posted:

which are not being recommended for routine use in covid patients because they potentially generate aerosols that can spray out the side of the mask

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1244628961499455496?s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ruth is a loving idiot.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Re: Pasta. 77% of the pasta made in EU is made in Italy. There is a monster factory that featured in Inside The Factory.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't mind my nose being sounded but this was the top recommended reply and :ohno:
https://twitter.com/kforkandarp/status/1244321757248606208

justcola posted:

funny twinge

(hope your back gets better)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Collateral posted:

Re: Pasta. 77% of the pasta made in EU is made in Italy. There is a monster factory that featured in Inside The Factory.
Very disappointed that you weren't talking about a different Monster Factory

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

justcola posted:

It takes the piss a bit that so many people are realising how loving poo poo and badly organised their places of work are. Heard from a bunch of people about their managers unable to give any guidance as they are waiting from the higher-ups, who in turn are waiting for government advice that is vague enough that everyone should be at work right now this minute no slacking (whilst most of senior management work from home themselves) - like they are willing to risk killing employees and their families for the sake of clutching onto some early 20th century idea of what work is.

Yea my place of work is continuing to operate as normal it's pretty much as you're describing. Our site boss does daily tours around the office to check "morale" and keeps circulating emails about stuff he learned about working together from his army days haha. We've had so many emails saying basically "to protect jobs we have to keep working as normal", like they definitely don't treat it seriously at all and it's so risky.

justcola posted:

Anyway, good luck with it! I found the symptoms got better then worse, my appetite totally went and I was either boiling hot or freezing cold. Lasted around 7 days for myself, but all the symptoms and everything seems unique for each person.
I've had a funny twinge in my back ever since and wondering if I've pinched a nerve through coughing - but also can't do anything about it.

Ah man that really sucks glad you're out of it! I Thanks a lot, just feel shattered and painful with an annoying cough so hopefully this is as bad as it gets! I'm not sure if it even is the rona but I just don't want to take any chances, there are people I work with who have vulnerable family members. The only issue I'm in my probationary period so I'm kind of worried if they start taking the piss, I just cba with it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNo_IOPOtU

A very sharable video about masks. The idea that it stops 'potentially up to 100% of potential droplets' seems a bit of a stretch, but surely has some positive impact.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My work sent a full call centre home with laptops and PCs to homework for the foreseeable future. They didn't even drag their heels much.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I honestly didn't realise my nostrils went that far back and now I'm kinda tempted to start experimenting with cotton buds.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got informed I'm being put on furlough - last day's work tomorrow. I'm all for it tbh, I won't be getting as much money, but I'm not spending bugger all at the minute so it evens out. Money to sit at home and play nintendo sounds OK to me.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Guavanaut posted:

I don't mind my nose being sounded but this was the top recommended reply and :ohno:
https://twitter.com/kforkandarp/status/1244321757248606208

Indian fash are top replies on almost any COVID related tweets, check the poo poo below the line here:

https://twitter.com/who/status/1243972193169616898?s=21

They've just taken the old '#YesToWar' tweets out from last year and written 'China' over 'Pakistan'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kecske posted:

Jose should have been taken by that hurricane. Now we live in the Final Destination timeline where Death is coming up with increasingly contrived methods to finally get him.

Final Destination is just a successful Wile E Coyote.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

I honestly didn't realise my nostrils went that far back and now I'm kinda tempted to start experimenting with cotton buds.
That's why you get ENT doctors (or otolaryngologists), it's all part of the same thing.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Bardeh posted:

Just got informed I'm being put on furlough - last day's work tomorrow. I'm all for it tbh, I won't be getting as much money, but I'm not spending bugger all at the minute so it evens out. Money to sit at home and play nintendo sounds OK to me.

Same here. I got quite excited but then remembered that oh yeah actually I still can't leave the loving house.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jackhunter64 posted:

Indian fash are top replies on almost any COVID related tweets, check the poo poo below the line here:

https://twitter.com/who/status/1243972193169616898?s=21

They've just taken the old '#YesToWar' tweets out from last year and written 'China' over 'Pakistan'.

the whole airborne thing seems to be a matter of definitions and i'm not entirely sure the WHO is correct here unless the science has changed in the last week. which it may well have, i've been distracted.

seems like protection protocols draw a clear dilineation between totally airborne and totally droplet and the virus doesn't really respect that

droplet does seem to be the main source of transmission, but ruling out airborne transmission and so not taking precautions against it is dangerous enough in flu epidemics let alone this
even that advice says droplet is the main source of transmission not the only one

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

minema posted:

This was a bit of a weird one in that a lot of the noise coming out of China was that both CPAP and NI-BiPAP were very useful in reducing need for intubation and improving mortality. Once it hit the UK this was completely absent from our management, in fact the advice stated to specifically not use either as there was a higher risk of healthcare staff getting sick due to aerosols and 'it is only useful as a bridge to intubation'. This last bit is true in general of pneumonias but clashed with what was reported from China, something which I never saw adequately explained. Now in the last couple of days there has been a huge U-turn on CPAP in particular and this is getting pushed a lot more heavily, with the faculty of intensive care medicine sending out an advisory letter that it was useful and that the guidelines were being updated. They say that early indications from China were it wasn't useful but this isn't my recollection at all. Very strange, but the CPAP machines made by the F1 teams will be very useful going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Algol Star posted:

This was a bit of a weird one in that a lot of the noise coming out of China was that both CPAP and NIBiPAP were very useful in reducing need for intubation and improving mortality. Once it hit the UK this was completely absent from our management, in fact the advice stated to specifically not use either as there was a higher risk of healthcare staff getting sick due to aerosols and 'it is only useful as a bridge to intubation'. This last bit is true in general of pneumonias but clashed with what was reported from China, something which I never saw adequately explained. Now in the last couple of days there has been a huge U-turn on CPAP in particular and this is getting pushed a lot more heavily, with the faculty of intensive care medicine sending out an advisory letter that it was useful and that the guidelines were being updated. They say that early indications from China were it wasn't useful but this isn't my recollection at all. Very strange, but the CPAP machines made by the F1 teams will be very useful going forward.

a HUGE part of the western response is explained by thinking chinese science is fake and lies

so now we're gonna blame us ignoring their warnings on their fake science lies