Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The Medal of Honor series deserves a ton of credit for pioneering a genre of video games that kinda owned the 2000s, even if Call of Duty ended up eating its lunch for the better part of a decade before WWII shooters/military shooters in general became played out. That first MoH game might have been janky as gently caress with jaggy-assed PlayStation One graphics, but I hadn’t played a single game like it before, and MoHAA was the first game to get the whole Saving Private Ryan opening scene right in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fartbox posted:

The FPS genre has dived off a cliff straight into the bottom of the sea

Only the new doom games are worth playing. Everything else is some version of call of duty or some mind numbing open world shooter garbage

the best modern FPS is Minecraft

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Open world isn't bad if you can fill it with the right stuff. Witcher 3 has very few side contracts that feel like carbon copies of each other. Sure you're doing basically the same steps- get note, talk to questgiver, haggle, use Spidey senses to follow tracks, kill, profit. But they are all fleshed out in a way that tells a unique story, builds out the world, and leads you to interesting corners of the world and here and there you have to break out of the pattern to avoid failure, as in the tower of rats. Compare this to the way any Ubisoft game populates its map with busywork, and gates progression behind doing the same task over and over.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 30, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Only the new doom games are worth playing. Everything else is some version of call of duty or some mind numbing open world shooter garbage

You also finished Amid Evil, Dusk, Project Warlock, and the amount of time youre allowed to play Ion Fury and still refund the game as well? I know it sucks waiting for Prodeus, Wrath, and Dark Data and the upcoming remaster of SiN.

Join the WAD club if you havent, Aprils WAD is Doom64

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

poverty goat posted:

Open world isn't bad if you can fill it with the right stuff. Witcher 3 has very few side contracts that feel like carbon copies of each other. Sure you're doing basically the same steps- get note, talk to questgiver, haggle, use Spidey senses to follow tracks, kill, profit. But they are all fleshed out in a way that tells a unique story, builds out the world, and leads you to interesting corners of the world and here and there you have to break out of the pattern to avoid failure, as in the tower of rats. Compare this to the way any Ubisoft game populates its map with busywork, and gates progression behind doing the same task over and over.

I think one of the worst offenders in this respect is the most recent Dragon Age game (Inquisition I think? Did another one come out that I didn’t know about?). At least some Ubisoft games, like the recent Far Crys (Far Cries?), have fun gameplay and combat to mask the pointless busywork.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

I think one of the worst offenders in this respect is the most recent Dragon Age game (Inquisition I think? Did another one come out that I didn’t know about?). At least some Ubisoft games, like the recent Far Crys (Far Cries?), have fun gameplay and combat to mask the pointless busywork.

At launch one of the classes in that game (melee mage) was effectively unkillable as long as you kept attacking. I solo'd the hardest content in the game not looking at the screen with just the attack button firmly held down. I cant name to you a more overall nothing game without digging into art games

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Barudak posted:

At launch one of the classes in that game (melee mage) was effectively unkillable as long as you kept attacking. I solo'd the hardest content in the game not looking at the screen with just the attack button firmly held down. I cant name to you a more overall nothing game without digging into art games

I think I ended up doing the same thing with the fighter lady party member (can’t remember her name; I think she had a vaguely French-sounding accent?). I’d run up to a dragon, and the dragon would immediately murder my entire party except for her, and she would sloooooooooowly whittle away at the dragon’s health by herself over the course of the next half hour or so, and whatever her skills were effectively made her unkillable. It was a huge waste of time and if I hadn’t been unemployed at the time I probably wouldn’t have bothered. Hell, I probably shouldn’t have bothered anyway.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There are many bad and dumb things about Dragon Age: Origins but at its core it's great for a RTw/P RPG, it has solid mechanics and a pretty good party AI system to avoid having to actually pause so much to micromanage everyone. Warriors and rogues play exactly the same and there's not a ton of meat there and they can be automated easily but there are lots of silly broken ways to build a wizard and a party around them

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fartbox posted:

Get a load of the nerd who hasn't discovered that arcade FPS games are back. Barudak covered the options but lmfao if you're still playing only AAA in 2020.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I played a VR game in a mall once where they blocked out a small arena for people to walk around in. It was an OK way to kill 20 minutes but loving lol at the prospect of doing it for hours at a time

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
or spending hundreds on the hardware jfc

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

olives black posted:

I played a VR game in a mall once where they blocked out a small arena for people to walk around in. It was an OK way to kill 20 minutes but loving lol at the prospect of doing it for hours at a time

a lot of these hot take first reactions from a mall a few years ago are based on early hardware that really made you nauseous with stupid game demos like the rollercoaster that were designed to make you nauseous and things have come a long way since then. still expensive but pc gaming being expensive if you want it to be isn't a VR exclusive thing either

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Everyone who hates VR played it once like 5 years ago and clearly it must be the same now

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Have they gotten over the hurdle of having to wear a dumb headset yet?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

internet celebrity posted:

Have they gotten over the hurdle of having to wear a dumb headset yet?

In large research installments yes, and they are even able to have multiple people view the same VR elements from different perspectives, but it is very expensive

https://lookingglassfactory.com/ currently is developing what they call "holographic" displays, but they are actually lenticular, not holographic. It provides a 45 different images of a thing at once that are displayed at different angles to create a stereoscopic 3D effect sort of like the 3DS, but much much more powerful.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I wasn't a big fan of Super Mario 64, but one thing I vividly remember about its launch was a bunch of olds complaining that 3d games and controls gave them motion sickness and that it was a dumb gimmick that only made developing games harder and more expensive.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I really want VR to be cool and good because the idea of it is really cool and good so I hope it's going to keep getting better (and cheaper)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PinheadSlim posted:

I wasn't a big fan of Super Mario 64, but one thing I vividly remember about its launch was a bunch of olds complaining that 3d games and controls gave them motion sickness and that it was a dumb gimmick that only made developing games harder and more expensive.

I mean, they weren't wrong about the bolded bit. Look at how bloated and pricey games became in the first decade of 3d.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, they weren't wrong about the bolded bit. Look at how bloated and pricey games became in the first decade of 3d.

And the second. And the third...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm sticking with my prediction that the worst of VR is still to come, since the next gen console specs are genuinely VR-ready this time so every other game will have optional(ish) segments of the game walled off behind an expensive headset

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

poverty goat posted:

a lot of these hot take first reactions from a mall a few years ago are based on early hardware that really made you nauseous with stupid game demos like the rollercoaster that were designed to make you nauseous and things have come a long way since then. still expensive but pc gaming being expensive if you want it to be isn't a VR exclusive thing either

it was less than a year ago, actually

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i also sample upcoming marvels of electronics and technology at that famous bastion of progress and futurism, the mall

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I played some eve online vr thing a while back and it was cool. Could look around the cockpit and shoot guys.

poverty goat posted:

world of tanks was pretty great when it was in beta and everyone was using misc early-ww2 tanks with mismatched guns and engines, but then beta was over and they turned the grinding and pay2win way up and turned it into just wow with tanks where everyone rushes to have the same minmaxed endgame tank. company of heroes pretends to be a good close combat successor at first but then it turns out it's really dumb and gamey with the control points and progression. I bring up these two games because they both had the bones of a quality ww2 game and then went the other way with it

War thunder is a good ww2 tank game where most people stick to ww2 poo poo and have fun and it’s not to grindy.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

food court bailiff posted:

i also sample upcoming marvels of electronics and technology at that famous bastion of progress and futurism, the mall

Just out of interest, where do you sample upcoming marvels of electronics and technology?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Icochet posted:

Just out of interest, where do you sample upcoming marvels of electronics and technology?

generally the houses of rich idiots

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My pet idea for a meaningful use of VR as a transitional step to broader use is in having a normally played game where you use VR as a second display that is used depending on the situation similar to the Wii U's gamepad but not poo poo. Something like switching between normal gameplay and then putting on the headset to go into HACKERWORLD or some poo poo so that putting on the headset is itself a gameplay action. It could be some shadowrun type poo poo or something but basically the idea is use VR where it is appropriate to highlight the difference so you aren't forced to shoehorn it into an otherwise familiar genre for the entire game. For all its faults, ZombiU implemented the gamepad pretty well in my opinion. I just don't think that the applications of VR have been pursued long enough for VR-specific ideas to reach a level that competes with the content of other new games. I also think that 150-200 bucks is not too much to pay for a VR headset because hell I spend that on a fightstick, but I'm definitely willing to wait until they hit a level of quality at that price range where 200 gets you something pretty decent instead of feeling like you cheaped out, like getting a fightstick with lovely parts.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kind of like how in mass effect 3 you couldn't get the best ending in the campaign without grinding the multiplayer gimmick, but instead you have to spend $600 irl on a headset

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I liked Mass Effect 3.

And I liked and played a lot of the ME3 multiplayer too.

Didn't mind the ending thought it was good enough.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I liked Mass Effect 3.

And I liked and played a lot of the ME3 multiplayer too.

Didn't mind the ending thought it was good enough.

The original trilogy at its lowest point is still Mount Everest compared to Andromeda (not an unpopular opinion, but still warrants mentioning)

But if you want an unpopular Mass Effect opinion, I’ll give you two for the price of one

1. The first game was the best game in the series
2. ManShep > FemShep

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

generally the houses of rich idiots

Very expensive!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I already have a racing sim setup that cost me a lot of money and which I chose over VR, maybe someday when it's very cheap I will give it a try. For now I'm okay with what I have

QuarkJets posted:

I get why DOOM ETERNAL is not receiving universal praise from everyone. The gameplay loop is great but so far the presentation is embarrassingly bad. DOOM16 was awesome because its story was as tight as its gameplay but that's completely absent here.

You're apparently supposed to kill 3 priests of hell to stop the invasion of Earth. Okay so Doomguy kills the first one on sight, great, we're in high form. Then he encounters the next two and just sort of walks around them while they talk at him for 5 minutes, and then he lets them escape. What the gently caress is this poo poo? Oh to find them again we have to visit Middle Earth and follow a ghost wolf for awhile and then talk to the ghost of the King of Gondor in order to get an upgrade for my space ship. gently caress. The combat is good but everything around it is lame as hell.

They weren't even there in the first place, just hologrammed in. Doomguy knew this. There's that explained.

I actually thought the story, which you begin to understand only after accumulating the majority of the codex logs, is pretty drat cool. You're not meant to understand everything right away, all you have to understand is that your job is to kill demons

you’ve been able to legally play Bloodborne on pc for like over a year now

how so? could you explain? emulator?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I am 100% playing this game on Easy when I get around to it

Do it, man, who loving cares. Or at least, set the difficulty where it works for you and allows you to progress while still presenting a reasonable challenge and causing you to fail occasionally. That's what everyone should do, "easy" mode can still present a reasonable challenge

ChazTurbo posted:

My beef with vr is my dislike of having screens glued to my eyeballs. That's my hot take.

Edit:titanfall 2's campaign rocked pretty hard and there's a nest indie fps scene now

Watched a Titanfall 2 speedrun from GDQ and it was definitely one of the best and most interesting speedruns I'd ever seen, just because of the wide variety of movement abilities present in the game. I've beaten it as well, it's a seriously great game.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I played some eve online vr thing a while back and it was cool. Could look around the cockpit and shoot guys.

VR is really, really cool when paired with racing sim gear and software like iracing or Cars 2, it can legit feel like you are in a race car and it actually works perfectly because a race car driver doesn't have to walk anywhere, they have a fixed view which is perfect for VR

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Very expensive!

DOUGLASSTH

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Play posted:

VR is really, really cool when paired with racing sim gear and software like iracing or Cars 2, it can legit feel like you are in a race car and it actually works perfectly because a race car driver doesn't have to walk anywhere, they have a fixed view which is perfect for VR

VR in flight sims (I tried it in DCS many years ago) is pretty wild. You really get the sensation that you're in this 3d cockpit thousands of feet above the ground, and being able to turn your head and look around you easily is amazing.

VR probably isn't quite ready to hit it big, but it's cool enough in some games that it's nice to have around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

Kind of like how in mass effect 3 you couldn't get the best ending in the campaign without grinding the multiplayer gimmick, but instead you have to spend $600 irl on a headset

nah you could get enough readiness (70%?) without multiplayer, and mp contributed such a small slice that it was negligible/stopgap.

the real shame is that the multiplayer was actually pretty fun! kind of like a sci-fi modernization of the l4d/payday 1 formula. but the game ended so badly that it killed any interest i had in the franchise, so that was the end of that for my time in me3 mp.

Sheen Sheen posted:

But if you want an unpopular Mass Effect opinion, I’ll give you two for the price of one

1. The first game was the best game in the series
2. ManShep > FemShep

i'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly. me1 had some problems that are just gonna happen when you're experimenting with new tech and new design perspectives, but it told the longest and most immersive story, and had a solid ending--hell you might say it was as good as the first game in a trilogy could hope to be, it was bioware's A New Hope. too bad me2 was their attack of the clones and me3 was outright rise of skywalker straight-to-the-garbage trash

and manshep was clearly superior in every way except you could only be gay with everyone BUT garrus

signalnoise posted:

I also think that 150-200 bucks is not too much to pay for a VR headset because hell I spend that on a fightstick

i guess this kind of embodies my take on it, but in a negative way. a fightstick is a specialized peripheral that people who are seriously into the genre will get, because that is their poo poo! you want the authentic arcade experience on your home console. but there's nothing to be "seriously into" about over VR to me. stare listlessly at the endless polygonal snowdrifts of skyrim, the most banal and relentlessly-rereleased game of the last decade. flail your arms at cubes.

hell the most interesting vr game i've ever seen is the one with all the waifus that simulates physics, and i guess you're supposed to grope them, but because of the physics simulation it's way more fun to grab everyone by the ankles, give em a windmill swing, and chuck them into the horizon. but that isn't exactly what i'd call hardware that enhances your experience for things you're passionate about. it's just developers playing around with a technologically immature medium--i can understand being into VR as a dev, because you can tread interesting ground (if already largely exhausted per the current limitations of the hardware), but imo as a consumer you are gettin shafteddddddddd

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 30, 2020

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I replayed the mass effect trilogy last year and mass effect 1 was by far the worst, everything about it was really boring compared to the others, barely anything happens until you get to nuke the space racist

2 was probably the best overall, but 3 had the most fun gameplay.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ME1 was very unconstrained and experimental in an old-school kind of Morrowind way where you could crack open the game like an egg with one build and find that your dude is totally useless with the wrong build. The best build is an adept imo because in me1 their abilities don't share cooldowns and can be used immediately on any target, bosses included, because there are no shields to burn through. So instead of every class being a gunshooter with cooldowns that are irrelevant at the start of combat like me2, you can be a pure space wizard and neglect your gun skills because you spend the whole fight picking up enemies and slamming them helplessly against the floor while your Bros shoot them, even the bosses.

The only class in me3 is the vanguard, because with charge and Nova they actually have all the skills required to just disregard the awful cover system.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

hell the most interesting vr game i've ever seen is the one with all the waifus that simulates physics, and i guess you're supposed to grope them, but because of the physics simulation it's way more fun to grab everyone by the ankles, give em a windmill swing, and chuck them into the horizon. but that isn't exactly what i'd call hardware that enhances your experience for things you're passionate about. it's just developers playing around with a technologically immature medium--i guess i can understand being into VR as a dev, because you can tread interesting ground (if already largely exhausted per the current limitations of the hardware), but imo as a consumer you are gettin shafteddddddddd

Well, the issue right now is definitely a lack of meaningful gameplay added for a full game that draws on VR to make it really complete. What VR gaming needs is meaningful gameplay that makes the VR complete the experience, rather than simply adding to the presentation of something that's already accessible with a pad and a TV. I dunno what that would be, but I wouldn't say it's an impossibility at all. As a consumer you're getting shafted if you buy into it thinking these things are already there, but if you're the kind of person who would buy a 1000 dollar video card, a 240hz monitor, some ridiculous audio setup, or whatever else, it's not like those add meaningful gameplay either. I'm not able to afford those things, but they'd be nice to have, sure. So I'll happily watch people with more money blow it on the most expensive end of that value curve and keep pushing it up so I can buy it later for relatively cheap, like I've been doing for the past 20 years.

If in 5 years we have lightweight VR headsets without a screendoor effect and that don't require external sensors, all at 100 bucks new, sure I'll buy one for the hell of it. Hopefully we'll have some stuff that provides a meaningful difference in gameplay by then too. It doesn't look like this is a tech that's just going to fall away like the Kinect or PS Move, so maybe someone will come up with something. I think the tech still needs some additional miniaturization though to be honest.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Play posted:

how so? could you explain? emulator?

ps now, which is basically google stadia except it's been around for years and has actual customers and stuff

you can get a sub on pc and play without ever touching a console

you can also play hundreds of other non-bloodborne games with it too, but i've only ever heard of people using it for bloodborne

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Bear with me here.

Full Throttle VR reboot. You're on a motorcycle the entire time and you drive around using the vr handlebars to move, so you can drive with one hand and shoot with the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Work from home but you have to have your VR headset on from 9-5 except for a 30 minute lunch break. You spend the day in a low-poly rendering of your office with your coworkers' identical default uncanny valley avatars. That one coworker gets up and you hear him microwaving leftover fish and you can still smell it, in your mind, just like in the real office.