Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
More like the Blue Walln't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Warren is gonna endorse Bernie just after it's too late for him to outright win the DNC, then switch her endorsement over to Biden just before he's comprehensively outed as a rapist, then get picked as Clinton's running mate after the DNC crowns her.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Somfin posted:

Warren is gonna endorse Bernie just after it's too late for him to outright win the DNC, then switch her endorsement over to Biden just before he's comprehensively outed as a rapist, then get picked as Clinton's running mate after the DNC crowns her.

I think you will find that the reason Cuomo is being boosted, is because you cannot have 2 women on the ticket and he would be "a great vp".

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah tbh i think sanders was hosed when the dynamics of everyone else dropping before ST to boost biden became evident. he could've dealt with being one on one vs biden for a while, especially with a few debates, but going from a crowded field (which sanders was winning) to what amounts to 1v1 against someone with a leg up was probably not winnable. only shot would've been if warren dropped and endorsed sanders, which lol

I find it very ironic that Warrens biggest accomplished this primary was to ensure that a racist old rapist became the dem nominee.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/DanaAfana/status/1244449326874722309?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanders campaign thinking outside the box to get those viral hits

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

southern black people did turn out in absolute droves for biden and probably decided the outcome of the primary, there's no way of pinning this on a more comfortable villain

i've posted at some length before on what i think the sanders campaign did wrong, and failing at really engaging with southern black civil society is probably the biggest thing. this primary has shown that south carolina has an awful lot of power in the democratic party, at least so long as this staggered primary nonsense remains a thing

Well at least we can count on SC in the general.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

perfect example of the deep and immediate buyers' remorse

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

brugroffil posted:

perfect example of the deep and immediate buyers' remorse

should have doubled down like the team warren or the khive crowd

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/cathleendecker/status/1244601718622617600

:thunk:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

why did this article take three people to write

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Somfin posted:

While that would be Peak Warren I think what happened was she was going to endorse Biden later but then the sexual assault stuff resurfaced and now she knows it would be a bad look so rather than do nothing she still found a way to embarrass herself on the issue.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

kidkissinger posted:

Unity.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

HootTheOwl posted:

While that would be Peak Warren I think what happened was she was going to endorse Biden later but then the sexual assault stuff resurfaced and now she knows it would be a bad look so rather than do nothing she still found a way to embarrass herself on the issue.

Considering how warren ran her campaign, I'm not sure she actually does know it'd be a bad look to endorse joe. I'm assuming all those hillary staffers are still working with her on that warren democrat garbage.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

kidkissinger posted:

if they're women, probably so they can juke their stats

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

So caustic! This guy must be one of those Bernie Bros I've heard so much about.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
So regarding the youth turnout I ran the numbers, by comparing exit polling of 2016 to 2020 and the turnout of primaries in 2016 and 2020. Not all states have both exit polling and/or primaries for both years, but I compared all that do:

pre:
Group	Pct change	2016 total 	2020 total
18-24	5% 		847,727		888,305
25-29	4% 		649,661		678,033
30-39	29%		1,249,548	1,616,837
40-49	27%		1,420,201	1,800,182
50-64	30%		2,676,119	3,487,946
65+ 	78%		1,848,097	3,289,071
Total	35%		8,672,797	11,721,471
Keeping in mind that "youth" is currently defined as below 50, it should be pretty clear that youth turnout was massively up. It just got completely flooded by 65+

pre:
18-49	20%		4,167,137	4,983,358
50+	50%		4,524,216	6,777,017
As a note: if anybody wants a further breakdown, I did have to tabulate it myself, so I have it on state by state.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 30, 2020

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Pingui posted:

So regarding the youth turnout I ran the numbers, by comparing exit polling of 2016 to 2020 and the turnout of primaries in 2016 and 2020. Not all states have both exit polling and/or primaries for both years, but I compared all that do:

pre:
18-24	5% 		847,727		888,305
25-29	4% 		649,661		678,033
30-39	29%		1,249,548	1,616,837
40-49	27%		1,420,201	1,800,182
50-64	30%		2,676,119	3,487,946
Total	35%		8,672,797	11,721,471
Keeping in mind that "youth" is currently defined as below 50, it should be pretty clear that youth turnout was massively up. It just got completely flooded by 65+

pre:
18-49	20%		4,167,137	4,983,358
50+	50%		4,524,216	6,777,017
As a note: if anybody wants a further breakdown, I did have to tabulate it myself, so I have it on state by state.

The youth vote is typically considered to be 18-29, and 5% up is definitely not "massively up" especially considering literally every other age group was up 25%+ and population growth in the US was 2.5%.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Apogee15 posted:

The youth vote is typically considered to be 18-29, and 5% up is definitely not "massively up" especially considering literally every other age group was up 25%+ and population growth in the US was 2.5%.

If you believe this election to be typical, I've got some news for you. The way the discourse is going it was "only the youth" that voted for Bernie. Seeing as Bernie won age categories under 50, anything under 50 is in this election being defined as "the youth vote" by MSNBC/CNN.

The reason of course being that the actual truth, that Biden's coalition is comprised of people over 50 (and mostly over 65) makes him look pretty poo poo from an electability standpoint as most general election voters are not in fact 65+

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Pingui posted:

If you believe this election to be typical, I've got some news for you. The way the discourse is going it was "only the youth" that voted for Bernie. Seeing as Bernie won age categories under 50, anything under 50 is in this election being defined as "the youth vote" by MSNBC/CNN.

The reason of course being that the actual truth, that Biden's coalition is comprised of people over 50 (and mostly over 65) makes him look pretty poo poo from an electability standpoint as most general election voters are not in fact 65+

lol, no one is considering anything under 50 to be the youth vote.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Apogee15 posted:

The cutoff for millennials is around 40. And I am not actually saying they are young, I am saying that the discourse dictates that only young people vote for Bernie, but as Bernie wins the under 50 cohort, the people stating only young people vote for Bernie are the ones implicitly stating it.

These people are the very same people that says youth turnout wasn't up. Their definition, their terms - not mine. Like I said they are doing this for a reason and that reason is that if they said the actual truth: Biden is winning old people only, Biden comes of looking like an electability turd.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Apogee15 posted:

This is a dumb and pedantic point. There's no technical definition of "youth vote" and it wouldn't matter if it did. Bernie won the under 50 vote. Whether that is called the "youth vote" or "apogee15's incoming 3 page derail over definitions" vote doesn't matter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still seems fitting given boomers still consider anyone younger than them to be a child.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Pingui posted:

The cutoff for millennials is around 40. And I am not actually saying they are young, I am saying that the discourse dictates that only young people vote for Bernie, but as Bernie wins the under 50 cohort, the people stating only young people vote for Bernie are the ones implicitly stating it.

There's a difference between saying the youth vote didn't turn out like we'd hoped, and saying that younger people voted for Bernie while older people voted more for Biden.

quote:

These people are the very same people that says youth turnout wasn't up. Their definition, their terms - not mine. Like I said they are doing this for a reason and that reason is that if they said the actual truth: Biden is winning old people only, Biden comes of looking like an electability turd.

Find one single article that talked about "the youth vote" being anything above 28.

joepinetree posted:

This is a dumb and pedantic point. There's no technical definition of "youth vote" and it wouldn't matter if it did. Bernie won the under 50 vote. Whether that is called the "youth vote" or "apogee15's incoming 3 page derail over definitions" vote doesn't matter.

When you are arguing over what something is, the definition of that thing kinda does matter. You can't say someone is wrong about something and then redefine a term to prove them wrong. Then be like "oh definitions don't matter" as a retort.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_vote_in_the_United_States

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Apogee15 posted:

There's a difference between saying the youth vote didn't turn out like we'd hoped, and saying that younger people voted for Bernie while older people voted more for Biden.

Find one single article that talked about "the youth vote" being anything above 28.

When you are arguing over what something is, the definition of that thing kinda does matter. You can't say someone is wrong about something and then redefine a term to prove them wrong. Then be like "oh definitions don't matter" as a retort.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_vote_in_the_United_States

how about instead of spinning your wheels for 3 more pages, you take a look at this line in the table:

code:
yes, we understand that generations are nebulously defined and largely are tools of advertisers and marketers. yes, we get it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1243280312576040961

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 30, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Swapping in Cuomo is going to be extra funny since by the time of the NY primaries, let alone the general, NYC's going to have piles of corpses.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

TBH I'd happily take Cuomo over Biden at this point and would happily vote for him. I just cannot bring myself to vote for Biden.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just chiming in as a New Yorker to let y'all know that Cuomo loving suuuucks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if they install cuomo do you think anyone on the planet supporting biden up to this point would be offended that their choice for presidential candidate was ratfucked

the answer is no because they're all aware biden is a senile racist rapist with literally no policies or plans and their entire political plank is established on the fact that they'll take anyone with a pulse that isn't bernie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They make you think the candidate is gonna be a rapist just so you'll be happy to vote for a lovely candidate who isn't a rapist. Biden's trick.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just chiming in as a New Yorker to let y'all know that Cuomo loving suuuucks.

Is he worse than Biden?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

New York Times banner headline, August 17, 2022: Biden administration opens two more trans reeducation camps as compromise with senate republicans, faces mixed response

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Brit question here; how is it okay to just switch out Rapey Joe for someone who didn't even run? I know it's broadly DNC ratfuckery but doesn't there need to at least be at least a pretence of legitimacy?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BizarroAzrael posted:

Brit question here; how is it okay to just switch out Rapey Joe for someone who didn't even run? I know it's broadly DNC ratfuckery but doesn't there need to at least be at least a pretence of legitimacy?

considering all of the people who are willing to jump on a grenade to protect joe biden at any cost, it's a complete nonissue.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I honestly find the concept of the DNC table-flipping the entire primary to install Cuomo equally as unpalatable as just having Biden be the winner. What was the point of the primary then? Why ever hold one again?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It isn't and the attempt would lead to the greatest loss for the Dems nationwide since Reagan. God only knows what it would do to the downballot.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

BizarroAzrael posted:

our elections are a farce to keep the poors from rioting

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It isn't and the attempt would lead to the greatest loss for the Dems nationwide since Reagan. God only knows what it would do to the downballot.

Yeah I have no idea how they do that other than literally overturning the primaries to do this, which would also destroy the democratic party

Well nominating Biden will destroy the party too in November, so its lose lose either way

I do hope they try to audible for Cuomo though, just so its apparent even to the diehard succ that our democracy is a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It’s been impressive how many poo poo libs have pulled the “What about the downballot!?” Even after Biden being a rapist came out.

Because putting an unrepentant rapist at the top of the ticket won’t affect turnout and get us killed at the state level, but putting the most popular senator in the country on it will.