Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how the engine burns clean right at the end before exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I like how the engine burns clean right at the end before exploding.

That's an illusion, in that moment it's spewing pure fuel instead of exhaust

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 30, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

The rolling coal people are grade A morons

This. When I ride around in my wife's Prius I notice that big trucks will purposefully get in front of her and do this bullshit. It makes me extremely angry because there's no need for it, and many times my toddler is riding in the back and doesn't deserve to breathe that poo poo in.

All this just because she drives a more eco-friendly car. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Now try riding a bike around.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nocheez posted:

This. When I ride around in my wife's Prius I notice that big trucks will purposefully get in front of her and do this bullshit. It makes me extremely angry because there's no need for it, and many times my toddler is riding in the back and doesn't deserve to breathe that poo poo in.

All this just because she drives a more eco-friendly car. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.

Where do you live? I live in a big coastal city and I've never seen someone rolling coal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scratch Monkey posted:

Where do you live? I live in a big coastal city and I've never seen someone rolling coal.

I've seen quite a few here in Cincinnati, of course Cincinnati is pretty much just part of Kentucky. A lot of them also have obnoxious bumper stickers announcing that they're rolling coal as well.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I've seen it happen in Ohio.

Sometimes it seems like a badly maintained truck that just spews it out, but other times it's definitely somebody doing it to a small car behind them when the light turns green, because they only do it for a moment to make a huge cloud before they start moving.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

Charlotte, NC. A blue dot in a sea of red assholes. I've seen it happen 4 times in the past couple years, and I don't ride in her car all that often. It's always been on the highway, a quick lane change and the truck slows down to get closer and then dumps a bunch of exhaust at her.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Nocheez posted:

Follow them, smash a few windows out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keep a milkshake in the car and then throw it at them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Keep a milkshake in the car and then throw it at them.

Great way to get run off the road and/or shot at, unfortunately

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why you also keep every other rung on the escalation ladder in your car.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

That's why you also keep every other rung on the escalation ladder in your car.

One can never be too prepared you know.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shut up Meg posted:

Well, he is the leader of the master race.

:vince:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TVs Ian posted:

Sometimes it seems like a badly maintained truck that just spews it out, but other times it's definitely somebody doing it to a small car behind them when the light turns green, because they only do it for a moment to make a huge cloud before they start moving.
Older diesels with mechanically controlled fuel injection will often smoke a bit to a moderate amount under load, especially if they've been tuned for performance, just because of the limited adjustability of their controls.

That covers GM and Ford up to the early '90s and Dodge up to the late '90s.

Anything modern with computer controlled fuel injection should rarely ever smoke under normal conditions. Maybe a bit when cold, but black smoke from a diesel is unburned fuel going right out the exhaust pipe. The big clouds don't happen unless you're using way too much fuel, and on a modern truck the only excuse for that is a full dyno queen tune that's only useful to make a number.

Anyone driving a diesel pickup truck less than 20 years old that smokes noticeably under normal conditions is almost certainly doing it intentionally.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

You may be underestimating the average pickup owner's capacity for neglect.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

solarNativity posted:

You may be underestimating the average pickup owner's capacity for neglect.
Even if it's been abused, you're not going to end up at "roll coal" levels without intent. Maybe a bit smoky, but if a remotely modern truck releases a column of thick dark smoke it was on purpose.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kith posted:

N-NANI!?
               /

also; what could possibly go wrong?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just gotta pop that hood and wrestle with the engine to tame it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM&t=72s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If only there was a way to secure an engine in place. Oh well. Crank 'er up, Terry.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eggyolk posted:

Just gotta pop that hood and wrestle with the engine to tame it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM&t=72s

I've watched enough lathe videos (two, I think) to know that that giant flywheel or whatever there is nothing but trouble.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

"I was still a bit bored, playing with the magnets. It’s the same logic as clipping pegs to your ears – I clipped them to my earlobes and then clipped them to my nostril and things went downhill pretty quickly when I clipped the magnets to my other nostril.”

No, the subject of the article is not a kindergartener, he's a 27-year old astrophysicist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The best part is it goes downhill so hard. From "I accidentally made a necklace that blares an alarm unless your hands are near your face" to "I was playing with magnets in my nose and they got stuck" to "I tried using more magnets and pliers to get them out and somehow got additional magnets in my nose."

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've watched enough lathe videos (two, I think) to know that that giant flywheel or whatever there is nothing but trouble.

You will enjoy "Big Wheel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHT9P0-qoxo

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

HAH we were talking about this in the family WhatsApp group earlier, my sister apparently sorta knows this dude from work (she's also an astrophysicist), she was saying they thought it would go viral and here we are :p

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

what the poo poo is this?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

My Spirit Otter posted:

what the poo poo is this?

"Art"

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dude was a loving psycho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Burden

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

"Hey Chris, what's up with this letter demanding to know what you did with a $25k Arts and Humanities grant?"

"poo poo! Grab a rifle and follow me!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pentyne posted:

"Hey Chris, what's up with this letter demanding to know what you did with a $25k Arts and Humanities grant?"

"poo poo! Grab a rifle and follow me!"

This sounds like a Hunter S. Thompson quote.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

This sounds like a Hunter S. Thompson quote.

"Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious money collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

quote:

Works:
Do You Believe in Television (1976), in which he sent an audience to the third floor of a building — where television monitors showed them the ground floor — and then lit a fire on the ground floor

e:

quote:

Burden began to work in performance art in the early 1970s. He made a series of controversial performances in which the idea of personal danger as artistic expression was central.

[…]

His 1973 work 747 involved the artist firing several pistol shots directly at a Boeing 747 passenger jet plane while it took off from Los Angeles International Airport.

:thunk:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 31, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etYed15hjiM

There's an awful lot of OSHA related content in this video

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etYed15hjiM

There's an awful lot of OSHA related content in this video

This video makes me wish I could have been friends with the guy. He once had some issues with a neighbor:

quote:

In 1985, a multi-millionaire called Floyd Watkins moved to Woody Creek, in Aspen, Colorado. He bought Beaver Run Ranch, just a few miles from Owl Creek—which just happened to be the ranch of one Hunter S. Thompson. It wasn’t long before the two men were at each other’s throats. Watkins, who’d made millions running a debt-collecting firm, immediately began surrounding his property with concrete walls and chain link fences, pouring tonnes of concrete, redirecting streams to create artificial trout farms (to the annoyance of his neighbors downstream), and demanding that the county’s dirt roads be paved with concrete just so that dust wouldn’t find its way into his home. When his requests for the roads to be paved were denied, he boasted that he was rich and powerful enough to have every member of the county board fired and replaced if they didn’t do what he said. As if to prove just how powerful he was, Watkins even imported Bengal tigers to deter trespassers.

Watkins’ supervillain-esque levels of control freakery didn’t endear him to the residents of Woody Creek. He was almost immediately bombarded with threatening phone-calls, vandalism, and unflattering graffiti (ranging from foul language to a sign declaring his house “Fat Loyd’s Trout Farm”). How much of this was the work of Thompson we’ll never know, but Watkins did blame Hunter for at least one of the incidents—the mysterious poisoning of his expensive trout.

Things came to a head when Watkins chased down a resident of Woody Creek, warning them that he intended to hire professional gunmen to patrol his property and that if anyone messed with him he could get rid of them without ever being implicated. Thompson must have heard about this and taken exception, because that night, as a heavily armed Watkins camped out in his car, his gaudy mansion was lit up by gunfire. Someone fired scores of bullets from a shotgun, automatic rifle, and finally a pistol in the direction of Beaver Run Ranch, pausing only to reload or switch weapons.

According to Wilson, he chased the perpetrator in his car at high speed and when they pulled over it was Thompson, completely unapologetic about the shooting—it had been a warning against further ecologically destructive development. Later, Thompson’s excuse for the shooting was that he had been attacked by a rabid porcupine and had fired at it (with pistol, shotgun, and automatic rifle) in self-defense. When Thompson was ordered to present his automatic rifle to the police it had been destroyed in such a way as to make ballistic tests useless. No charges were brought.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also; what could possibly go wrong?

Lol holy poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Older diesels with mechanically controlled fuel injection will often smoke a bit to a moderate amount under load, especially if they've been tuned for performance, just because of the limited adjustability of their controls.

That covers GM and Ford up to the early '90s and Dodge up to the late '90s.

Anything modern with computer controlled fuel injection should rarely ever smoke under normal conditions. Maybe a bit when cold, but black smoke from a diesel is unburned fuel going right out the exhaust pipe. The big clouds don't happen unless you're using way too much fuel, and on a modern truck the only excuse for that is a full dyno queen tune that's only useful to make a number.

Anyone driving a diesel pickup truck less than 20 years old that smokes noticeably under normal conditions is almost certainly doing it intentionally.

Even older mechanically injected and boost enriched diesels should only smoke during turbo spool or full load, otherwise they should burn clear

I build and customize old rotary diesel injection pumps.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I loved that guy in jagged alliance

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

“My partner took me to the hospital that she works in because she wanted all her colleagues to laugh at me.”
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Thought I was going to watch a live-streamed OSHA death this morning. The Portland Head Light in Maine has a live webcam and had some missing shingles.

https://youtu.be/yzeyaL-pC18

Fixing them in 32F weather with no harness seems like a bad idea?

What, just cuttin’ shingles while up on the ladder, nbd

Update: he survived!

For reference i think the cam is pointed at one of the sheds, so not very high off the ground