Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snowy posted:

It couldn’t have aged well could it? I’m not going to find out, you take the bullet.
The first one has. The parts that you would think are dated are dated and if you hate self-impressed meta commentary you'll still hate that part of it, but the actual core slasher story inside of all the window dressing is rock-solid and genuinely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lmao at all the people worried about the spider and not the Australian.

Huntsman spiders are friendly af and chilling with them is good. Think of them as Terry Crews. They're big af but so friendly and fun to watch that you wish you had more in your life.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

dialhforhero posted:

gently caress you for reminding me about this.
Haha, why?!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ravenous rules

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

dialhforhero posted:

Weird reaction there, Ravenous is awesome for the score alone

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dialhforhero posted:

I revisited Ravenous a couple years ago and it's still extremely good. Pretty much the only thing in the movie that's aged poorly is Jeffrey Jones, who still gives a great performance.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/22UyvXg.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I love seinfeld but it's hard to watch now due to the audience laughter, I just can't deal with it anymore. But it's unfunny without it it turns out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23M3eKn1FN0

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I watched some of the whatever anniversary M*A*S*H collection and there was no laughs and I hated it.

There were always no laughs in the OR and that was subtle and great, but the show was designed around them and feels off with them removed

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

LifeSunDeath posted:

I love seinfeld but it's hard to watch now due to the audience laughter, I just can't deal with it anymore. But it's unfunny without it it turns out.

It is almost as if injecting silence into the timing throws off the cadence, and is far more intrusive than any audience laughter or laugh track ever could be.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Someone needs to do a similar edit but for horror movies, removing those stupid screams and screeches and other random noises that mean the thing you're looking at is supposed to be scary.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Big bang theory sans laugh track is literal art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs
what a loving dogshit show

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Lots of shows can be skewed towards unfunny with the laugh track removed largely because of the dead air added specifically for laugh tracks. Some shows like Nerd Does Funny Thing and FRIENDS are crap regardless.

e: spelling is hard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Twitch posted:

I revisited Ravenous a couple years ago and it's still extremely good. Pretty much the only thing in the movie that's aged poorly is Jeffrey Jones, who still gives a great performance.

Yeah it's a shame about him as a person who commits sex crimes. It is however legitimately a fantastic performance.

I rewatched it Saturday actually!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My friends and I still say "It's lonely being a cannibal" whenever we can work it into a conversation. Best line of the movie!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Think of it like a play instead of a tv show. Imagine if the audience sat there in dead silence throughout the whole performance. It's throw the actors and everybody else off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Bloop posted:

I watched some of the whatever anniversary M*A*S*H collection and there was no laughs and I hated it.

There were always no laughs in the OR and that was subtle and great, but the show was designed around them and feels off with them removed

I had heard it was way better without the laugh track. I’m almost interested enough to check it out out of powerful nostalgia but there’s so many new good shows that it’s hard to prioritize even now that I’m home 24/7

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
MASH went through so many different styles, too. Early seasons were straight slapstick and buffoonery. Once Potter came on, it was a more sedate mix of comedy and drama. Then when Alda basically had total control in the last few seasons, what comedy there was was pretty dry, and there was a lot more maudlin drama and soul searching in the mix. Who but from the mind of Alda could come chicken/baby smothering, and Hawkeye basically going insane.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Big bang theory sans laugh track is literal art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs
what a loving dogshit show

It's a better show than Seinfeld.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

The Bloop posted:

I've only ever watched it without the laugh track (my foreign dub didn't have it) and I can't imagine it with it. Can imagine it in the early episodes, but when you have things like one of the main characters dying in a plane crash, it ain't right.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

MASH went through so many different styles, too. Early seasons were straight slapstick and buffoonery. Once Potter came on, it was a more sedate mix of comedy and drama. Then when Alda basically had total control in the last few seasons, what comedy there was was pretty dry, and there was a lot more maudlin drama and soul searching in the mix. Who but from the mind of Alda could come chicken/baby smothering, and Hawkeye basically going insane.

*flips switch from "irreverent" to "maudlin"*

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's a better show than Seinfeld.

I think Seinfeld gets viewed through nostalgia goggles so it gets a pass for some really cringey poo poo. It definitely does not hold up in 2020.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The first Scream is good because all the previews, trailers, articles etc were about how Drew Barrymore is the bad guy. She’s supposed to be this ruthless robot sent back in time to murder teenagers before they inspire humanity to rise up against the robots. Wes Craven pulls the rug out in the first scene and it turns out Drew Barrymore is the victim

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Jesus posted:

I've only ever watched it without the laugh track (my foreign dub didn't have it) and I can't imagine it with it. Can imagine it in the early episodes, but when you have things like one of the main characters dying in a plane crash, it ain't right.

As I pointed out, a very cool thing was that even with all the cracking wise, there was never a laugh track when they were doing surgery.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Best overall SPAM song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpsfBsN_Dg

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Maestro posted:

The first Scream is good because all the previews, trailers, articles etc were about how Drew Barrymore is the bad guy. She’s supposed to be this ruthless robot sent back in time to murder teenagers before they inspire humanity to rise up against the robots. Wes Craven pulls the rug out in the first scene and it turns out Drew Barrymore is the victim

I don't remember this at all? You got some trailers?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Actually watching Drew Barrymore act makes us the victims.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Someone please give me a grand collection of the Cat Monologue tweets

The ones that are like "Father Wishes To Cause Me Harm? I Must Pack My Little Bags" etc

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Seinfeld sucked, but Old Man Stiller has pretty good comedic timing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow, this was pretty prescient. She posted this back when we all thought T-Swift and her vagina represented the far right.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Songbearer posted:

Someone please give me a grand collection of the Cat Monologue tweets

The ones that are like "Father Wishes To Cause Me Harm? I Must Pack My Little Bags" etc

my favorite was "Father does not know how to love?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Maestro posted:

You're in the wrong thread, friend. You meant to post this in the PYF Subtle Movie Moments thread.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Y'all need to watch the full version of this on Youtube. G-fans in particular, you will love the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0NQX6bSp4A

Thanks for posting that, Rascar, it was 11 minutes of my life I never want to give back.

I don't even like Godzilla, and this was AMAZING! :allears: Pro click for sure.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Snowy posted:

I had heard it was way better without the laugh track. I’m almost interested enough to check it out out of powerful nostalgia but there’s so many new good shows that it’s hard to prioritize even now that I’m home 24/7

This is correct, MASH is inarguably better without the laugh track, opinions to the contrary are very wrong.

The laugh track is explicitly canned on account of there never having been an actual audience, and also shows up in horrendously bad spots, especially early on in the run (oh margaret's getting assaulted again? :lol: how hilarious).

Definitely give MASH a watch-through w/o the dumb laughs. It is still a very good show, post S3.

Pre--

woof.

Sexual assault and racism were pretty heavily routine in the first three.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

MASH needs the laugh track, otherwise you don't know when to laugh.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mash sucks in every form.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

Ok

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

rodbeard posted:

Imagine being this wrong

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
In one part of Scream, people are told to stay indoors and avoid gatherings to help keep people safe, and a bunch of people ignore that and have a party, and then people die because of that party.

So yeah, the movie doesn't hold up that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://i.imgur.com/tRyHGb9.mp4