Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Karenina posted:

Does something like the Cité internationale universitaire in Paris exist in other countries? Like, a large housing complex specifically for international university students in the area, not all of them necessarily going to the same place. I'm pretty sure there are variations on this in the rest of France, but I don't know about other countries.

There’s International House in New York, which is obviously tiny in comparison, and an even smaller International Student House in DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What's the best way to hollow out a book but not for compartments, I mean straight up drilling a hole through it?

I imagine a power drill with a large diameter...bit head of some kind

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe a Forstner bit.

Clamp the book together tightly.

It’s possible a hole saw would work better. Normally they’re messier, but perhaps not on paper.

Your other basic option for big holes is the spade bit, but I think it loses. They’re cheap and good for quick work in tight spaces, but that’s about it.

Ask in DIY’s tool thread and I’m sure someone has done it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I drilled two inch holes through a bunch of books for a project once.

We used a drill press and a hole saw. I think the other types of bit jammed up too much and starting burning and ripping the paper but I didn’t remember since it was a long time ago. Strong clamps are important since the whole book will want to spin very fast.

The exit hole will look terrible if you try to drill from one side all the way through because the paper on the cover will tear. We would go until the center came out the other side and then would finish it using a handheld drill because it was easier to line up.

It’s pretty tedious.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I suggest pieces of wood on both covers, clamping the book tightly shut and you drill through them.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Guys I am at my wit's end because I have a stupid loud loving HVAC ceiling vent. It's so loud it sounds like a loving jet engine. All other vents are fine.

I want to call a pro out to fix this thing but I have to ration my bucks until the plague is over. How much would I be looking at?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Is there a thread for identifying insects?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Before you could just buy packets of it in a store, how did people get yeast for making bread? Sourdough starters?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

artsy fartsy posted:

Is there a thread for identifying insects?

I believe that's covered under critterquest.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

So I started a new job last March, and this past January my boss said I'd earned my annual bonus, which comes out to about 20% of my yearly salary. Which sounds pretty cool, but there's a catch -- it's not being given to me in one lump sum, but instead distributed in four parts, once every quarter, and *only if I'm still employed at the company at the beginning of each quarter.*

Effectively, it's not a bonus but a weirdly-distributed raise (which I also got, but way lower, like 2%). Does anyone have any idea why they would do it this way instead of just giving me a larger raise? I have to imagine there's some weird tax or insurance reason for it. I'm in Massachusetts, if it makes a difference.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Before you could just buy packets of it in a store, how did people get yeast for making bread? Sourdough starters?

Wild yeast in the air, so pretty much sourdough starters. Just leave it out for a few days until it starts bubbling and you've got a basic yeast. I think the other way of getting it was by using malt (or some other byproduct from beer making)foam from beer (barm) to leaven bread. You can also collect it from the surface of some fruits like plums and grapes, it's the white film you sometimes see on them.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 28, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ninjahedgehog posted:

So I started a new job last March, and this past January my boss said I'd earned my annual bonus, which comes out to about 20% of my yearly salary. Which sounds pretty cool, but there's a catch -- it's not being given to me in one lump sum, but instead distributed in four parts, once every quarter, and *only if I'm still employed at the company at the beginning of each quarter.*

Effectively, it's not a bonus but a weirdly-distributed raise (which I also got, but way lower, like 2%). Does anyone have any idea why they would do it this way instead of just giving me a larger raise? I have to imagine there's some weird tax or insurance reason for it. I'm in Massachusetts, if it makes a difference.

The longer they keep your money the longer they can make more money with your money.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Memento posted:

The longer they keep your money the longer they can make more money with your money.
Plus there's a decent chance a person leaves sometime in their 2nd year of employment, might only have to pay out a couple quarters of the "bonus".

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

dirby posted:

I believe that's covered under critterquest.

Thank you! I found the weirdest gall...

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have some Euros that I want to transfer to a USD bank account. Seems like 1 euro = 1.12 USD right now but just last week it was 1 euro = 1.07 USD. How do these fluctuations happen?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Busy Bee posted:

I have some Euros that I want to transfer to a USD bank account. Seems like 1 euro = 1.12 USD right now but just last week it was 1 euro = 1.07 USD. How do these fluctuations happen?

These fluctuations happen because the world has entered the Second Great Depression.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Fluctuations in currencies are always happening, albeit usually at a slower pace. Most governments worldwide are adding to their deficits as a result of the crisis and will likely resort to printing more money if they haven’t already, leading to inflation. Oversimplification- printing more bank notes in a given currency reduces that currency’s value relative to other currencies.
Add to this corporations and average citizens shuffling their money about and trying to sort out their investments in anticipation of a major depression. Exchange rates are going to be extremely volatile.

More specifically, the US just announced a major spending package thats’s going to increase the deficit by a huge amount- so the dollar is dropping in value.

What’ll happen next is anyone’s guess, so it’s hard to tell if you would be better off keeping the money in the EU.

Disclaimer: I’m just a news junkie and don’t know much about economics.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 28, 2020

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got an internet problem question I want to post here real quick before I actually deal with the customer support people. Someone in here may know enough to have a good idea or not, no big deal.

Since yesterday my internet(ATT Uverse) has been sporadically going down and back up. Here is what happens with the modem lights - When it first goes down, the service and broadband 1 lights go off, then broadband 1 will blink, then go solid, then service light will blink a while, then go solid, and at this point the internet will be working again. It seems random about how long it works before starting this process again. Sometimes it will work 10 minutes, sometimes it will work 30. Last night after about 8:30pm it worked the whole time until I went to bed, then it was back to doing it's bullshit today. I've already done all the resetting and stuff that's obvious to try.

Could this just be a high traffic thing from all the staying at home? ATT's site says there aren't outages but I'm not sure if that would count or not. I'll call them in a bit I guess, just wanted to post here in case there is something else I could try beforehand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Besides sourdough type starters brewers sold yeast also.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Are poison antidotes a thing used in real life or just movie bullshit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

dokmo posted:

Are poison antidotes a thing used in real life or just movie bullshit.

Yes they are real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidote

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
when I see memes about how hosed up this year has been they always mention that World War 3 almost started. what's that referring to?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Droning Suleimani in Iraq and loving with Iran

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the official policy on sharing links that get around Paywalls? Is this too close to :filez:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

What's the official policy on sharing links that get around Paywalls? Is this too close to :filez:
Of like, NY Times or something? Never seen anyone care.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Tab8715 posted:

:justpost:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not copyright infringement if they’re serving you the data themselves.

If it’s a Pastebin link or something, that’s different, but people quote articles inline all the time, so I wouldn’t sweat it.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
did Tumblr's font just change?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I got the ultimate stupid question.

If I have morning breath, does that apply to me if I breathe through my nose? I understand if I smoked it would but otherwise would it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What would be a cool thing to put in a room that's a bit too small for a small pool table? The area is about 7x11 feet. I was thinking about one of those mini pool tables (they are 6' long), but you'd have to have some sort of cue that was super short anyway as you'd only have 2-2.5 feet of clearance on each side.

Something like this seems fun https://www.petersbilliards.com/game-room/back-to-the-80s-cocktail-arcade-game/

I live alone (lol) otherwise I'd consider other things that always require two players, like foosball or whatever.

I don't use the space really at all right now because it doesn't get any natural light.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

actionjackson posted:

What would be a cool thing to put in a room that's a bit too small for a small pool table? The area is about 7x11 feet. I was thinking about one of those mini pool tables (they are 6' long), but you'd have to have some sort of cue that was super short anyway as you'd only have 2-2.5 feet of clearance on each side.

Something like this seems fun https://www.petersbilliards.com/game-room/back-to-the-80s-cocktail-arcade-game/

I live alone (lol) otherwise I'd consider other things that always require two players, like foosball or whatever.

I don't use the space really at all right now because it doesn't get any natural light.

Air hockey, my man.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

actionjackson posted:

If you're into arcade games and have the money to burn, the arcade 1up cabinets are pretty cool.
https://arcade1up.com/collections/cabinets

These go for a few hundred a piece, and the newer ones come with multiple games and the risers. They're a little smaller than a full size cabinet, but there is a modding scene if you're in to customizing and want a project.

The better question is what would you use the space for? Entertaining, gaming, projects?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

If you're into arcade games and have the money to burn, the arcade 1up cabinets are pretty cool.
https://arcade1up.com/collections/cabinets

These go for a few hundred a piece, and the newer ones come with multiple games and the risers. They're a little smaller than a full size cabinet, but there is a modding scene if you're in to customizing and want a project.

The better question is what would you use the space for? Entertaining, gaming, projects?

probably just gaming/entertainment. I mentioned a pool table because I've always wanted one, and it's something that doesn't require another person necessarily.

I do like this - https://arcade1up.com/collections/head-2-head-cabinets/products/blackseries-pacman

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

NotNut posted:

did Tumblr's font just change?

I feel like a lot of fonts all over changed for me today

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

i noticed the great font change as well but assumed i was just losing my poo poo. thanks stupid question thread!

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

in the form of a question: why did all the fonts change yesterday?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Where did the trope of the Southern trial lawyer who speaks with a Foghorn Leghorn drawl come from?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Sam Ervin, who was a senator during Nixon's impeachment. He did a bunch of other stuff, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Ervin

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I mainly use browser X on my pc. Almost always in incognito/stealth/private mode.

This past month I installed and used browser Y on my pc. Again, almost always in incognito/s/p mode.

While using browser Y, I clicked on a login field and it populated with some of my login information options. However, I had never used my login information for this site while using Browser Y. I had only been to this site on Browser X.

How did the site on browser Y get/store this login info?

Am I misremembering and at a certain point I must have logged into the site with browser Y?

Seems big brother-y as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your operating system has a built‐in password manager.