Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Galick posted:

So I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you play as an AI/Supercomputer and the entire objective of the game is to take over the world, but you can't be noticed because they'd just come physically shut you down. I think it may have been a flash game - anyone have any ideas on what it is, or any games like it?
Sounds like Endgame: Singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Galick posted:

So I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you play as an AI/Supercomputer and the entire objective of the game is to take over the world, but you can't be noticed because they'd just come physically shut you down. I think it may have been a flash game - anyone have any ideas on what it is, or any games like it?

Singularity, or any number of flash knockoffs/similar games.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Cardiovorax posted:

Sounds like Endgame: Singularity.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Singularity, or any number of flash knockoffs/similar games.

That was it! Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy gently caress that game sounds amazing. Is there a mobile version?

Edit: Wooooo!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I think it's a Battletech game?

Early 3D PC game
Pilot robots and low-to-the-ground vehicles
Mars?
Space patriotism?
A robot that makes techno music when it shoots?

I would think I dreamed the game if I didn't remember a pretty good LP of it here.

edit:

It's most certainly Battlezone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IifWMa0JDn4

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 26, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty sure this was an Xbox 360 exclusive. I remember it being a summer release but looking at a list it was not officially part of the Summer of Arcade. Came out around that period, 2008-2013 I can't narrow it down further.

This was basically a 3D gauntlet game. Top down, colorful cartoony (think World of Warcraft or Torchlight) graphics. It wasn't a loot based it really was like Gauntlet Legends in its design and execution.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Pretty sure this was an Xbox 360 exclusive. I remember it being a summer release but looking at a list it was not officially part of the Summer of Arcade. Came out around that period, 2008-2013 I can't narrow it down further.

This was basically a 3D gauntlet game. Top down, colorful cartoony (think World of Warcraft or Torchlight) graphics. It wasn't a loot based it really was like Gauntlet Legends in its design and execution.

I was gonna guess FORCED (yes it's in all caps), but it wasn't on the 360 far as I can tell.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is Daggerdale, but I'm pretty sure that game had loot. Deathspank? Blood Knights? Brimstone?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

None of those. I think I'll have to dust off the 360 and remember my account details. Xbox should have a Sony style library where it shows a list of every game you ever installed, right?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm looking for a DOS-era game. It was a top-down shooter with "tank movement" control scheme, buying weapons/ammo before each round and aliens. It had a weird graphics mode/resolution (320x400?), was designed for 3 players (as in, info bar space specifically divided into spaces for 3 players, not 2 not 4) and the devs were Finnish IIRC. Anyone have an idea?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

not so much a game as an application but hopefully close enough

an art program from around the mid 90s that had a stylized UI with drawers and such, lots of wood. IIRC it had a sort of time lapse feature, but I don't remember whether it was accessible to the user or just used for demonstrating example art. this would have been for the mac.

Kid Pix?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pierzak posted:

I'm looking for a DOS-era game. It was a top-down shooter with "tank movement" control scheme, buying weapons/ammo before each round and aliens. It had a weird graphics mode/resolution (320x400?), was designed for 3 players (as in, info bar space specifically divided into spaces for 3 players, not 2 not 4) and the devs were Finnish IIRC. Anyone have an idea?

Is it Threat? The dev names at the bottom of the page look extremely Finnish and it matches everything else

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/threat

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is it Threat? The dev names at the bottom of the page look extremely Finnish and it matches everything else

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/threat

That's it, thanks!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nah, it was much more teen/adult oriented

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

CYBEReris posted:

nah, it was much more teen/adult oriented

Could it be a version of Art Dabbler? I think an early 3.1 or win95 one is what I was thinking of with its drawer ui.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Few months ago there was a sci fi roguelike shooter released, some RPG elements... I think it was either cel-shaded or full on cartoony graphics. Anyone know the name? I was interested in it but didn't have the time to play games back then

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

texting my ex posted:

Few months ago there was a sci fi roguelike shooter released, some RPG elements... I think it was either cel-shaded or full on cartoony graphics. Anyone know the name? I was interested in it but didn't have the time to play games back then

Void Bastards

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Hwurmp posted:

Void Bastards

very quick ,thanks a lot!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

texting my ex posted:

very quick ,thanks a lot!

You think that guy's very quick? I would have answered you instantly if I:

a) had seen your question

and

b) knew the answer, which I did not

:colbert:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

:justpost:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I once heard someone mention an old game where you could beat it quickly by typing a certain message at a magic mirror a few steps into the game. Anyone know what that might be?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Andorra posted:

I once heard someone mention an old game where you could beat it quickly by typing a certain message at a magic mirror a few steps into the game. Anyone know what that might be?

Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen.

Password is ilostit and Lord Xeen to go straight to the final boss with the thing you need to beat him.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Hilariously, in every game after that, if you said ilostit to any similar device, it would reply You never had it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen.

Password is ilostit and Lord Xeen to go straight to the final boss with the thing you need to beat him.

That's it, thanks! I had tried google searching that password but never all one word, so you can imagine the results weren't very helpful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Hilariously, in every game after that, if you said ilostit to any similar device, it would reply You never had it.
Except for the few legitimate occasions where you lose an important quest item and it actually spawns you a new one.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

Could it be a version of Art Dabbler? I think an early 3.1 or win95 one is what I was thinking of with its drawer ui.

yeah this is it! thanks. i recognize the butterfly in the logo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

Figured it out, the game is Crimson Alliance which is still an Xbox 360 exclusive that nobody cares about developed by a company that is basically a massive contracting house for multiplayer modes of AAA games.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

C64 game, the goal was to sail a boat around africa (trade for spices maybe?) and random bad things would happen. Storms, pirate attacks, hostile natives, etc. Also some good things like friendly natives, finding loot/treasure from shipwrecks etc. I wanna say the screen where you see africa and sail around is very yellow. Overall I think gameplay was like an event would happen and you'd have a menu of choices, sorta like oregon trail but sailing a boat around africa instead.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

chairface posted:

C64 game, the goal was to sail a boat around africa (trade for spices maybe?) and random bad things would happen. Storms, pirate attacks, hostile natives, etc. Also some good things like friendly natives, finding loot/treasure from shipwrecks etc. I wanna say the screen where you see africa and sail around is very yellow. Overall I think gameplay was like an event would happen and you'd have a menu of choices, sorta like oregon trail but sailing a boat around africa instead.

Sea Route to India maybe, its Africa is yellow as hell

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
DOS game, SF strategy, the premise is that you return to the solar system after either some off-system scientific journey lasting hundreds of years and/or having spent said time in cryo-sleep (forgot which one) and you basically have to rediscover the solar system all over again and learn what the hell happened in the meantime.

And no, it's NOT Star Control 2 aka Ur-Quan Masters.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 9, 2020

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Sea Route to India maybe, its Africa is yellow as hell

It's either that or a blatant copy of that, thanks!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A game I would have played around 2005-2007 for pc, you had an overhead view of your ship which was hurled into unknown space and damaged, with most of the crew missing as well. I forget if you control the ship itself or a shuttle but you had to mine asteroids for materials to repair and upgrade stuff. I THINK pirates would attack sometimes and you had to blow them up. It was a shareware deal where you get the first little area for free and have to pay to play the rest. I cant remember any more specifics but if I saw it, I'd bet I'd recognize it instantly

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Danaru posted:

A game I would have played around 2005-2007 for pc, you had an overhead view of your ship which was hurled into unknown space and damaged, with most of the crew missing as well. I forget if you control the ship itself or a shuttle but you had to mine asteroids for materials to repair and upgrade stuff. I THINK pirates would attack sometimes and you had to blow them up. It was a shareware deal where you get the first little area for free and have to pay to play the rest. I cant remember any more specifics but if I saw it, I'd bet I'd recognize it instantly

StarScape

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hwurmp posted:

StarScape

gently caress me it's even on steam and for less than ten bucks :stare: I should have asked here sooner

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Pierzak posted:

DOS game, SF strategy, the premise is that you return to the solar system after either some off-system scientific journey lasting hundreds of years and/or having spent said time in cryo-sleep (forgot which one) and you basically have to rediscover the solar system all over again and learn what the hell happened in the meantime.

And no, it's NOT Star Control 2 aka Ur-Quan Masters.

Anything else you can remember? Color palette, any particular phrases in the menu, layout of the screen? Some quick googling turns up a surprising number of games in the DOS era with similarities to your description.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I was thinking of Solar Winds, which has you travel a long distance away to a research station and then return to where you started using a hyperdrive, but there's nothing about cryo-sleep involved.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Crisis averted, but thanks for reminding me to google poo poo, it was Millennium and literally the first result for "dos game return to solar system" :doh:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

chairface posted:

It's either that or a blatant copy of that, thanks!

Another option is Heart of Africa, it hits most of the points you mention and is also very yellow.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Years ago someone made a thread about a kind of forums Risk game. Like the map of the world was broken up into territories and each poster could claim a territory. Then every day you could do various things like attack other territories, upgrade technology, maybe even buy and sell goods, etc. Posters could make alliances and stab each other in the back, etc. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or what it was called? Does it still exist?

It was all contained in the thread, updated by the OP with images each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anything more specific? Something about the appearance or a specific game feature. As it is, that could cover basically every Paradox game Let's Play that has ever been run here.