Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Essential posted:

I just started this last week, knew next to nothing about it and have been having a blast. I'm not working off any guides or anything and while I'm sure it's not an ideal way to level a character at least I'm not burning out.

I'm starting to get ocd with items though, I have no idea what to keep/sell. I did manage to find out that some crafting motif's can be worth a lot, but is there anything else to be on the lookout for? For example, on another forum someone posted a pic of some staff they got for sorcerer and I guess it was really amazing. It looked completely average to me and had I found it I'm sure I would've sold it. Also, the stat's on high level items I see people post look barely higher than the stuff I'm finding? Also, urn's seem to be worth always checking, but what about barrels, baskets, crates etc.

Not sure what I'm missing with items but this has been a real pleasure to play. I didn't think I'd like the actiony combat but it is really, really fun.

I like to check everything. You can find some great stuff in crates/urns/pots/barrels etc. YMMV on how much you think its worth it, but I like to collect and hoard mats.

Did you need a guild invite? I can't recall if you've asked for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The stats don't seem impressive because your stats are scaling to CP 160, which is the highest lvl gear in the game.

Don't worry about the gear you loot while leveling up, just equip it if its an upgrade. Research or deconstruct it otherwise or sell it if it has the trait that increases its worth to merchants.

To manage your inventory, when your inventory is close to being full port to the nearest town with a full complement of crafting stations, I recommend Vivec in Vvardenfell.

First, right click and lock any item you don't want to deconstruct or sell.

At each crating station (blacksmithing, clothing, woodworking, jewelry crafting, enchanting) research any item trait that you don't currently have (doesn't apply to enchanting), deconstruct everything else.

Lastly, sell any junk left over to a vendor and repair your gear.

In regards to things to keep any eye out for that might be worth some money, at your lvl its mostly going to be crafting motifs and furniture diagrams. Sub max lvl crafting materials also sell for a decent amount since people lvl up quickly and aren't the appropriate level to farm it for long.

Once you get to CP 160 you will be able to sell looted equipment for gold if its a good set people are looking for and has the right traits. For example, the Mother's Sorrow overland set from Deshaan is used by many magicka builds so if you get it with the right trait (Divines in this case) you can sell it for a good amount of gold.

However you will have to join a trading guild for anyone to buy your stuff off of a guild trader, otherwise you're limited to selling stuff via zone chat. Essentially a trading guild is a group of players that that bids money for a specific NPC to sell their guilds goods to other players. Every overland zone has guild traders.

Some trade guilds have weekly dues to pay for the weekly bids, try to find one that doesn't have weekly dues.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

g0del posted:

I can't recall ever seeing an MMO nerf high end players damage without also nerfing the low end players damage (where I am in this game). And I'm not sure that their stated goals are even possible without removing the ability to animation cancel altogether.
This is absolutely what happens anytime ZOS tries to "close the gap" between high-tier players and garbage-tier casuals who pay retards like Xynode 500 euros for a "custom" cookie cutter build. The high-tier players adapt and continue to smash through content while the casual to mid-tier people end up struggling because A) something that was carrying them hard got nerfed or B) they absolutely refuse to adapt and end up left behind yet again.

And yes, people do pay hundreds of dollars to some poo poo-tier content creator just to get "secret builds" that are outperformed by other builds that require less thought and effort.

Essential posted:

I didn't think I'd like the actiony combat but it is really, really fun.
The ironic thing is that ZOS is pretty much throwing the action oriented combat out the window with these changes. All because reddit and the ESO forums constantly cry about animation cancelling being an "exploit" that good players use to get ahead.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Bonapartisan posted:

I like to check everything. You can find some great stuff in crates/urns/pots/barrels etc. YMMV on how much you think its worth it, but I like to collect and hoard mats.

Did you need a guild invite? I can't recall if you've asked for one.

I'll take a guild invite, @GentlemanStyle , thanks!

Regarding looting, I've been having fun checking everything. I've just found with the baskets and crates I get overloaded with crafting stuff that I end up destroying to make room. I haven't crafted or deconstructed anything.

Appreciate all the advice from everyone, it's very helpful.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

E: ^^^ Ohhh, my man. Get ESO plus at least for one month to try. Crafting mats don’t take inventory if you are plus.

That powerleveling guide helped in one respect. For some drat reason it never occurred to me to take all the random one off training enhanced gear I can make and put it all together one character. :doh: I have no idea why it never occurred to me it would be additive. seems like a better idea than using random poo poo I pick up while I level.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 25, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Leveling a Necromancer. The talent "Death Gleaning" seems either extremely lackluster or I'm missing something. Restoring 100 magicka when an enemy dies, when my magicka pool even at level 8 is already 17886? What?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I discovered two days ago - more or less by accident - that people farm those dolmen/portals in Al Akir pretty much 24/7. It's nuts. Whenever I log in, there's people rushing between those dolmens like coked up rats smashing that button. I just afk'd next to one while listening to podcasts, it's an ok way to level if you want to devote zero attention to the game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

mike12345 posted:

I discovered two days ago - more or less by accident - that people farm those dolmen/portals in Al Akir pretty much 24/7. It's nuts. Whenever I log in, there's people rushing between those dolmens like coked up rats smashing that button. I just afk'd next to one while listening to podcasts, it's an ok way to level if you want to devote zero attention to the game.

Do you get EXP for just standing there? I've showed up at the last second and couldn't get an attack in fast enough and got nothing when it ended.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you get EXP for just standing there? I've showed up at the last second and couldn't get an attack in fast enough and got nothing when it ended.

Just need to hit one monster one time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

GreenNight posted:

Just need to hit one monster one time.

ok, so it's not literally AFKing

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Doctor Zero posted:

Literally afking will get you disconnected though.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Mustang posted:

To manage your inventory, when your inventory is close to being full port to the nearest town with a full complement of crafting stations, I recommend Vivec in Vvardenfell.

You get one free house (more of a walk-in closet) per character from a selection of what is currently six. One for each of the Alliances, and one for each of the chapters (if you have access to them). Since everybody gets the Morrowind chapter as part of the base game, you can get a home there and teleport freely, from any location (even in a delve), as often as you like. The quest for it in Vivic is on a poster next to the docks near the Stablemaster, or you can open the
Quest Starters section of the Crown Store and choose "Room to Spare". Note that selecting that mission will get you the free house in any of the other cities if you happen to be there when you start it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vivec is the best city to have a house and the best and easiest access to crafting stations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Doctor Zero posted:

no I meant I skip the rush and just camp at one spot, it's fast enough, especially when you're paying attention to other stuff.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

E: ^^^ Ohhh, my man. Get ESO plus at least for one month to try. Crafting mats don’t take inventory if you are plus.

That powerleveling guide helped in one respect. For some drat reason it never occurred to me to take all the random one off training enhanced gear I can make and put it all together one character. :doh: I have no idea why it never occurred to me it would be additive. seems like a better idea than using random poo poo I pick up while I level.

I didn't realize ESO plus gives you unlimited mat storage, I'm definitely going to get that now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

g0del posted:

Based on a bunch of people in the feedback thread running parses on the test server, it looks like switching to heavy attack weaving generally lowers DPS because it slows down your skill use. Light attack weaving also gets lower DPS due to the drastic nerf to light damage.

I figured this would be the outcome, glad to see it is confirmed.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Essential posted:

I didn't realize ESO plus gives you unlimited mat storage, I'm definitely going to get that now.

Literally the best sub incentive I've encountered across any game. Playing 20 minutes without it makes me reach for my wallet, it is insidiously smart.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I haven't payed for it. I just spent so much gold increasing my own and bank's storage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

I haven't payed for it. I just spent so much gold increasing my own and bank's storage.

I've got max bank/inventory and still need the crafting bag, but I have at least 2 of every maelstrom weapon and tons and tons of sets sitting in the bank plus stuff on mules, it's insane.

I should probably cancel my sub, I haven't played in god knows how long, need to stop giving ZOS my money.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I don't keep any weapons/armor that isn't equipped. I'm not really that hardcore about it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I can’t quite figure out what a runebox is. Is it like a crate? Is it an item? Googling just gives me people whining about them not actually explaining them.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Doctor Zero posted:

I can’t quite figure out what a runebox is. Is it like a crate? Is it an item? Googling just gives me people whining about them not actually explaining them.

So you like collect pieces of something and when you have all the pieces poof, a runebox. Which you can then open to get the item.

So, for example if you collect 7 fragements of a kitten, you get a kitten pet if you open the runebox.

This might help? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Fragments

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Bonapartisan posted:

So, for example if you collect 7 fragements of a kitten, you get a kitten pet

Just like in real life.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ahhh. I see. And the Runebox is trade-able whereas the fragments are not. Thanks.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

You can buy/sell fragments on the guild traders. A lot of items like that can't be vendored or put in the bank, but can be traded, mailed, bought or sold. Basically the game's way of encouraging you to trade it.

Not every runebox is assembled that way, a lot of them are straight drops from events, or direct purchases from special vendors. Generally speaking, what they are = rare account-wide unlocks for cosmetic items.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Thinking of returning to the game. How bad are disconnects and related errors these days?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Thinking of returning to the game. How bad are disconnects and related errors these days?

I think I had 2 the whole time I played the game.

YMMV this was on the EU server and with a decent connection.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

it is almost time for me to get my cake

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I started playing about a week/10 days ago, I've played maybe 80 hours with 2 random disconnects. Other than that the game has ran amazing for me. Slightly older laptop, really good internet.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I've never had a random disconnect personally, and the guy I know from Argentina gets a disconnect once every 1-5 hours ish if that helps but I think that's mostly a distance issue.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I just rejoined this game under the name BaronHamBurger.

How important is crafting? gear selection seems pretty weak if you aren't willing to craft the pieces you want.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Murkmire writers did a good job of portraying a culture of mystery with a different sense of time while still being coherent and rewarding to think about.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

For anyone still playing this dumpster fire of a game: Content Creators dropped their first previews of the new expansion pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9FLiG6O3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLFlwaKc_DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMfk05NsXBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDXATjYJXhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb7N5IuWTHg

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Don't care. All the content in this game is the same.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Looking to level a new character and I was thinking about a Dunmer dragonknight who's theme would be "Everything must be on fire!" Note that I do not care about DPS or doing stupid crap like vet dungeons or raiding.

Or getting around to creating a vampire character. Was thinking a siphoning nightblade but can't decide on a race. And I have yet to make a werewolf character either...

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

MH Knights posted:

Note that I do not care about DPS or doing stupid crap like vet dungeons or raiding.

What... else is there?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LastGoodBoy posted:

What... else is there?

Fashion, and erotic roleplay

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

Fashion, and erotic roleplay

No, I mean in the game.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

LastGoodBoy posted:

No, I mean in the game.

I dunno..I suppose you could be some lonely chud hawking the same 6 items for a year in zone chat while being comically inept at actually playing the game? Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don't dox me.