Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The GSMNP hiking trails are officially closed as of today. So that section of the AT is officially off limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh no not Greater Southern Minnesota Park!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The point of the stay at home order is you're supposed to stay at home. The getting outside portion of things is supposed to be pretty limited and close to home - not a time to take a vacation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The point is to stay away from other people, stay at home is just the easiest way to do it.

But if you can get out to a spot and there's no one around and you can avoid spreading/acquiring the plague at gas stations then there's no harm done.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Maybe I can go out and give covid-19 to some god drat ticks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

xzzy posted:

The point is to stay away from other people, stay at home is just the easiest way to do it.

But if you can get out to a spot and there's no one around and you can avoid spreading/acquiring the plague at gas stations then there's no harm done.

No really the point is to stay at home. Once you start traveling places you're using more resources which puts more people at risk.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Maybe I can go out and give covid-19 to some god drat ticks.

That's how you get Corona with Lyme

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

charliebravo77 posted:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

https://youtu.be/vYBzVXV8nPM

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Man i just want to go for a hike without getting blasted by girls on instagram

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

charliebravo77 posted:

Good to know there’s still dads on the trail.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I would like to thank you all for thoroughly convincing me that spreading corona up and down the eastern seaboard is a dumb idea, one that only idiots have.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

God Hole posted:

I would like to thank you all for thoroughly convincing me that spreading corona up and down the eastern seaboard is a dumb idea, one that only idiots have.

Take consolation in your good avatar image, at least.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

God Hole posted:

Doubtful but hey there’s always the chance SOBO in june/july could happen

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

buddy,

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

George H.W. oval office posted:

ok i changed my mind, you and only you can through hike this year but you have to leave your phone at home

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

ok i changed my mind, you and only you can through hike this year but you have to leave your phone at home

If I had the time and money to thru the PCT or CDT I would. I did the AT in 2017 with hardly any town support other than grocery and a mail drop or two. It was Social Distancing: The Trail Experience for sure.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
My old reserve unit is apparently during a remote drill over zoom. Almost makes me wish I hadn't left just to watch that unfold

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

DaNerd posted:

My old reserve unit is apparently during a remote drill over zoom. Almost makes me wish I hadn't left just to watch that unfold

are they marching around with laptops or something? i also want to see that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chard posted:

are they marching around with laptops or something? i also want to see that

Bunch of dudes in a Zoom meeting with their phone leaning against the TV. They dress up in full kit and march back and forth through the living room.

Only after three hours of dealing with people that can't get their camera to work and endless "can you hear me?? HOLY poo poo FEEDBACK" conversations.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Haha no idea how I posted that in here but I'm glad you guys enjoy it too.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Some in the thread might be interested in this. Fellow in Ontario is doing online workshops into traditional bushcraft:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/...5zgq8S_pUHl5m_c

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My new Kelty Cosmic 20 showed up today. I took it out of the stuff sack it shipped in and was planning to just hang it up in the closet for storage. Is there anything else I should do to help fluff it up before that?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just gently fluff it up like a feather pillow. Running it through a dryer with no heat and some felt balls might help. Don't leave it stored in a stuff sack. You either want to hang it or put it into a big pillowcase type bag.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Mt Baker Snoqualmie National Forest closed.

:smithicide:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Mt Baker Snoqualmie National Forest closed.

:smithicide:

Same with Gifford Pinchot, Mt Hood National Forest, and likely many others.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yay I got my shiny USGS Topographic Maps for my trip to the wilderness area. Looking forward to heading out with my compass and altimeter and doing some multiday land navigation.

I must say, though, at 22" x 27", has anyone suggestions for how to treat these maps well while backpacking? Just roll them, put a plastic bag over them, and strap them on like a trekking pole? I only got two quads, the other three being less likely destinations, so they won't quite be thick enough when rolled to be used as trekking poles.

Usually when I print my own b&w ledgers (11x17), I'll use the slit-folding method. Seems a shame to do that to such nice maps.

No, of course I'm not going. The wilderness area is closed. :smithicide:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 11, 2020

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle
hi hiking and backpacking thread! glad i found you. I'm moving out to olympic national park in a few weeks for a job, unless park opening gets pushed back further. holler if you have any hidden gem trail suggestions. i want to be out backpacking every weekend if I can help it. I'm trying to stay excited and not dread whatever crush of visitors may come once restrictions are lifted.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Oh Mister B posted:

hi hiking and backpacking thread! glad i found you. I'm moving out to olympic national park in a few weeks for a job, unless park opening gets pushed back further. holler if you have any hidden gem trail suggestions. i want to be out backpacking every weekend if I can help it. I'm trying to stay excited and not dread whatever crush of visitors may come once restrictions are lifted.

If you get a chance, hike Six Ridge. It kicked my rear end and I really want to do it again. Don't get lost.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The great thing about the Olympic Peninsula is that the trails tend to connect in useful ways. You can easily turn two day hikes into an overnight or long weekend backpacking trip. Some ideas:

Marmot Pass from the Sequim side and then back via the Dungeness River trail and a short road walk.

Deer Park to Grand Valley and then back via Cameron Creek or even Gray Wolf River if you're really trying to rack up the miles. Hiking above treeline in the rainshadow is the best.

Big o' Elwha Loop via Dodger Point (unless you really hate seeing other people on the trail, this will probably be more fun after the road gets fixed).

If you are at all interested in a wilderness beach hike, you owe it to yourself to do at least one of the big three (admittedly, I've only day hiked on the coast). Get a tide table and either arrange a shuttle or go with a buddy so you can leave a car at both ends. There will be a lot of people at the first beach you come across but it will be pretty quiet after that.

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle
thank you both for the suggestions. i marked up my guidebook with possible trips and got really giddy. i'll be pretty close to the rainshadow...just seeing that picture of stopped my heart. i really miss the blue and green gradients of the horizon out there. sadly i just got my start date pushed further back into may, but thats ok!!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Never realized you can use AllTrails to record running and road biking. This app is worth every penny, even with all the parks closed.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What’s everyone’s favorite weather app for iOS these days? Weather Underground seems to have turned into adware. Accuweather is strangely designed (see their graph time picker). Dark Sky seems too focused on just precipitation.

I’m looking to have info on temperature, precipitation, and wind speed at a glance over the upcoming day, as well as more detailed info quickly available (UV index, pressure, sunrise/sunset) — ideally in graph format.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use Clear Outside for nerd levels of detail, it's an ugly horribly maintained app that still hasn't updated for modern screen sizes but the data it provides is top notch. For a more visual forecast I use MeteoEarth.

For normal forecasting I use weather.gov, not because it's good but because it doesn't bury me in ads. Only good for the US though.

If cloud layers are interesting to you, I use skippy sky: http://www.skippysky.com.au/

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
What's your (general) hiking location and does it matter (how accurate the predictions are)?

EG, I lived in the Midwest US for several years and you could see the weather coming for a thousand miles in most cases. Other than Arctic blasts from Canada in the winter, and the precise landing spot of a tornado, you could have 95%+ confidence in next week's forecast.

Now I live in the Pacific Northwest. There are mountains to the west, the east, a big peaky to the south, bodies of water everywhere. We get cold from the north, cold that comes from the desert over the mountains to the east, rain that splits around the mountains to the west so that it rains starting 20km north and south but not here, foothills that channel the wind in different ways... Basically you have to go straight to the detailed forecast models and become a mini meteorologist.

If you're in the US, weather.gov is your best bet, but if you really care start reading the text only forecast products, the short term forecasts, learn what a zone forecast actually predicts, and so forth.

(I am not a meteorologist) :pseudo:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

What's your (general) hiking location and does it matter (how accurate the predictions are)?

EG, I lived in the Midwest US for several years and you could see the weather coming for a thousand miles in most cases. Other than Arctic blasts from Canada in the winter, and the precise landing spot of a tornado, you could have 95%+ confidence in next week's forecast.

Now I live in the Pacific Northwest. There are mountains to the west, the east, a big peaky to the south, bodies of water everywhere. We get cold from the north, cold that comes from the desert over the mountains to the east, rain that splits around the mountains to the west so that it rains starting 20km north and south but not here, foothills that channel the wind in different ways... Basically you have to go straight to the detailed forecast models and become a mini meteorologist.

If you're in the US, weather.gov is your best bet, but if you really care start reading the text only forecast products, the short term forecasts, learn what a zone forecast actually predicts, and so forth.

(I am not a meteorologist) :pseudo:

So, I grew up in the PNW, and my rule of thumb is don't believe any weather forecast. It's wrong. You can watch storms veer off every which way, rain while it's sunny etc. I have never found a good weather tool for at least the coastal areas. In the Willamette Valley in OR, it's mostly temp that they screw up on. Also, living in the same place for 20 years help, you'll learn the signs of heavy rain, bad wind etc. If you move 20 miles, you will have to relearn. Honestly, the only time I take heed is predictions of severe weather.

If you are trying to figure out what to pack, pack mostly for what the likely weather will be (I backpack in the lower part of the Olympic NF in summer, it gets warm during the day and chilly overnight), then always pack full rain gear, long and light base layers, and a shell at a minimum. Layers are always your friend in this region.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I live in CO and plan/pack accordingly on trips. But for things like day hikes, fishing, or mountain biking I want to have a general sense of precipitation, thunderstorms, pressure, temp, and UV index over the course of the day.

Knowing when a storm is going to roll in and how (within reason) it’s going to roll in are critical to being outside in the high country. Having to look at many of those things one at a time is also super annoying.

This is the best example of a useful graphic where I can see at a glance what the next few days are going to look like, and then quickly zoom in to get details on wind, precip, etc.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It’s not an app, but I’m definitely seconding the suggestion of
your local NWS office.

The hourly weather forecast is likely your best bet for what you are looking for.

The forecast discussions, although often a little jargony, are often excellent at being a general appraisal of the weather for that day and the next few days. They can’t necessarily say “a thunderstorm will pop up in this exact location” because the convective activity that initiates storms is inherently a stochastic and random process; but they can give you a good idea of “a front is coming through and we’ll likely have storms in X and Y areas this afternoon”.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also a PNWer here. I look at the weather including radar and cloud coverage and plan for the worst. I used to have a watch with a barometer for sudden weather changes. Nothing is worse than being unprepared, even if that means carrying rain gear or a tarp for 4 days in perfect weather. Being cold and wet when you don't have to be sucks. I don't typically bring rain pants but now that I live in the northwest, I'll cancel a trip if it's supposed to dump the whole time and just reschedule. Not something you can do if you travel to where you're hiking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Luneshot posted:

It’s not an app, but I’m definitely seconding the suggestion of
your local NWS office.

The forecast discussions, although often a little jargony,

Mine, whomever is writing it is very informal. Yesterday it said something to the effect of "if you were getting used to the warmer weather get over it. If you want to do something outside better get it done by Saturday"

And you can tell said person is tired about wind advisory warnings for trucks/RVs. Pretty great and accurate.