Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/RitaJKing/status/1244782872076128256

wear masks pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Keep it quiet because absolutely Trump will get what passes for a boner

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

goddamn I never saw it do that when I lived there, looks like it's going to slide away to reveal an eva

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'd be super pissed if my apartment window was facing that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Waiting for someone to post about how actually hungarian dictatorship is not so bad because Trump likes pillows and look at this graph of energy consumption in North Korea

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gianthogweed posted:

Reminder that there are plenty of dictators in waiting eager to use this crisis to turn their countries into totalitarian states.

:ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqnmfNiaM-Y&t=10s

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm on a controlled medication. In my state, I can only get one month's supply of it via handwritten prescription that I deliver to my pharmacy. My doctor's appointment is thursday. If I was living by myself I'd just go through with it, but my household is more high risk than myself and my mom is super paranoid and already thinks that my medication (for mental health) is "pointless" and that I should just drop it and blah blah blah. We already had multiple spats over it after I mentioned I had the appointment, nevermind all the other times she told me I should stop my meds.

I've looked through any administrative/law changes and I don't see anything about controlled medication regulations being loosened up. My doctor said he'd do a telemedicine call but I didn't really clarify what that entails. (I guess the solution would be to call and ask lol, but part of my problem is my fuckin ANXIETY so I'd rather just, like, not.) Even if he CAN electronically send the prescriptions over to my pharmacy I still need to pick them up, and if he can't I'd need to go pick them up at his office and then drop them off like usual. I guess I'll see how it plays out on thursday.

I don't know what I get out of posting this in here, I am more stressed about my mother's response to this (which is that I should not go and drop three years worth of medication because corona, which is just not an actually feasible thing for me to do) than having to go out for the appointment. Feels like there's no winning. I have to keep living here, after all. :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spinz posted:

Keep it quiet because absolutely Trump will get what passes for a boner

https://i.imgur.com/hgbXhgJ.mp4

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

it's nothing, just 4 dudes busting all the new ghosts in NYC

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Clocks posted:

I'm on a controlled medication. In my state, I can only get one month's supply of it via handwritten prescription that I deliver to my pharmacy. My doctor's appointment is thursday. If I was living by myself I'd just go through with it, but my household is more high risk than myself and my mom is super paranoid and already thinks that my medication (for mental health) is "pointless" and that I should just drop it and blah blah blah. We already had multiple spats over it after I mentioned I had the appointment, nevermind all the other times she told me I should stop my meds.

I've looked through any administrative/law changes and I don't see anything about controlled medication regulations being loosened up. My doctor said he'd do a telemedicine call but I didn't really clarify what that entails. (I guess the solution would be to call and ask lol, but part of my problem is my fuckin ANXIETY so I'd rather just, like, not.) Even if he CAN electronically send the prescriptions over to my pharmacy I still need to pick them up, and if he can't I'd need to go pick them up at his office and then drop them off like usual. I guess I'll see how it plays out on thursday.

I don't know what I get out of posting this in here, I am more stressed about my mother's response to this (which is that I should not go and drop three years worth of medication because corona, which is just not an actually feasible thing for me to do) than having to go out for the appointment. Feels like there's no winning. I have to keep living here, after all. :(

I hope you get your meds. I was on benzos before and they were a bit more strict about that stuff. But I have the VA so they just mail my meds to me which is nice. I saw my psychiatrist today and I haven't seen him for 3 months so we could get a baseline of my depression without adjusting anything (it's bad). They called me last Thursday or Friday to see if I qualified to come in since they're closing all non-essential appointments. Luckily I was determined to be essential (I'm a broke brain) and I got to go in today and we upped one of my meds again.

Good luck.

hah!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
No reading comprehension here, sorry
:doh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Waiting for someone to post about how actually hungarian dictatorship is not so bad because Trump likes pillows and look at this graph of energy consumption in North Korea

I agree.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It would be interesting to see what social distancing has done to the severity of this year's flu season and what germ paranoia will do to it next year.

Someone posted a chart earlier, flu deaths are nosediving...

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

VikingSkull posted:

the thread has mutated and is a Trump thread now

hopefully we can develop a vaccine

A lot of people are going to die because your boy's terrified of number going down. like maybe bat down your trump boner long enough for basic critical thinking to resume

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CarpenterWalrus posted:

basic critical thinking

lol

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Sometimes I expect too much, I know

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Withnail posted:

Someone posted a chart earlier, flu deaths are nosediving...

Check to see if the deaths are caused by flu alone or complications from flu. Most of the deaths from flu are actually pneumonia. But it's very often the flu virus that caused the pneumonia. Sometimes they count the pneumonia deaths and sometimes they don't, and when they don't the number of flu (by itself) deaths is very small.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Clocks posted:

Call the front office. Ask about this. In some states doctors can do electronic refills under certain circumstances. You also might be able to do telemedicine, and go and pick up the script without having to be in contact with another person. They will have already gotten this question.

I'm going through this same thing. My therapist disappeared for weeks under the insane amount of weight of trying to switch to telemedicine in a small office. The problem is, to continue getting my anxiety medication, I have to see my therapist at least bi-weekly, and it's been 3 weeks and they had dropped me as a patient before for not sticking to this. Thankfully they were super awesome, I have a telemedicine phone call for Thursday evening, and I will be getting my refills electronically to a pharmacy for 3 months, 1 30 day supply w/ 3 refills (!!) at a time for a controlled benzo once I see my doctor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

Check to see if the deaths are caused by flu alone or complications from flu. Most of the deaths from flu are actually pneumonia. But it's very often the flu virus that caused the pneumonia. Sometimes they count the pneumonia deaths and sometimes they don't, and when they don't the number of flu (by itself) deaths is very small.

The CDC's FluView tool differentiates the two. Deaths due to flu are down, and deaths due to pneumonia are down. In fact, all deaths, due to any reason, are also down (e.g. Car accidents), across all age groups. The US death rate has fallen significantly across the board

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Looking forward to a few years from now when we can put the us death rate next to the Dow and see a funny correlation.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Does the market feeds off deaths? Well, I never!

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Palm beach county issued a shelter in place order and salons and pool cleaners are considered essential

Is Palm Beach in Ontario?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

I'm not blurring the name because its a shared public post.

Do your ears hurt from wearing your mask as per regulation? Just strap your mask to a paperclip, that way your ears won't hurt and also your mask won't work either!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chief McHeath posted:

Do your ears hurt from wearing your mask as per regulation? Just strap your mask to a paperclip, that way your ears won't hurt and also your mask won't work either!

how do you think a mask is supposed to work?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chief McHeath posted:

Seems like it’d keep it tighter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah I’m not sure if that “trick” puts less pressure on the seal around the face (bad) or it it merely changes the path of the straps around the ears, which could be harmless.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

Why would the mask stop working?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Jabor posted:

how do you think a mask is supposed to work?

By providing a barrier? Proper PPE for Covid cases should be practiced to perfection, not practiced to comfort. A loving paperclip is going to lose whatever strength it had every time it gets pulled or turned.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Why would the mask stop working?

"Fit test? Nah I'll just do whatever feels comfortable"

Like everything else about the masks, all the "they work" assumption hinges on them being used properly and effectively 100% of the time. A bunch of buzzfeed mask hacks for comfort and style would defeat the entire point of wearing it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

As long as the paper clip doesn’t stretch beyond your ear lobe it should be fine?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If it passes the fit test who cares, thats p beefy for the forces on it and its behind your ears, the elastic will fail first

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like thats basically how reusable masks are set up

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

By providing a barrier? Proper PPE for Covid cases should be practiced to perfection, not practiced to comfort. A loving paperclip is going to lose whatever strength it had every time it gets pulled or turned.

I don't think that's a concern, the straps should lose their strength before a paperclip would and that's going to be true on your ears, too. I'm reserving judgement

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

"Fit test? Nah I'll just do whatever feels comfortable"

Like everything else about the masks, all the "they work" assumption hinges on them being used properly and effectively 100% of the time. A bunch of buzzfeed mask hacks for comfort and style would defeat the entire point of wearing it.

Why can't a fit test be performed?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chief McHeath posted:

Stop trolling

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Why can't a fit test be performed?

It can, but if you've ever done a fit test you know the standards for how to put on and take off PPE are down to a rigid science and deciding to just gently caress around with fittings because your skin is itchy defeats the entire point of wearing it in the first place. Comfort is a low concern when it comes to health and safety.

If I had to guess, the mask could shift more easily as you adjust your head because it only has one anchor point instead of two, the paperclip on top of the hair won't give a good source of friction to hold it in place, the elastic could be cinched too tight for the expected use of the mask, etc.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 31, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Was cruising Netflix and saw that Outbreak was on the 'everyones watching' list. Nice.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I got moved from working at home to going on site today. It’s going to be harder to avoid it. I’m bringing my own keyboard and mouse. Have sanitizer and gloves not much more I can do.

Won’t risk seeing my parents again for many months. If you are working from home be thankful. I was taking it for granted the last three weeks before I had go work onsite.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

It can, but if you've ever done a fit test you know the standards for how to put on and take off PPE are down to a rigid science and deciding to just gently caress around with fittings because your skin is itchy defeats the entire point of wearing it in the first place. Comfort is a low concern when it comes to health and safety.

If I had to guess, the mask could shift more easily as you adjust your head because it only has one anchor point instead of two, the paperclip on top of the hair won't give a good source of friction to hold it in place, the elastic could be cinched too tight for the expected use of the mask, etc.

I've been trained in many kinds of PPE, and I've worn n95 masks a handful of times, but I'm not an expert in their use. I recall the training session mentioning comfort as a concern; if the mask isn't comfortable then the user is more likely to fidget with it, which is bad. If the mask is noticeably uncomfortable then it's probably being worn wrong, these masks are actually supposed to be comfortable by design but aren't usually worn for extremely long periods.

I think that attaching the straps to a paperclip at the back of one's head would not meaningfully alter how a mask is put on or put off; you'd still grab and hold the same straps in the same ways, you'd just detach them from a paperclip first, which sounds very easy. Can you explain to me why a clip at the back of the head would make putting on or taking off an n95 mask less secure? Please be specific because I really want to understand where you're coming from here.

You'd obviously still perform a fit test, the number of anchor points is the same (the straps connect to 2 ends of a paper clip), a clip arguably provides more tautness and therefore friction (not less), and you'd take it off and put it on in the same way, so I don't understand what the problem is.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The mask is still going around the ears, the paperclip is there to lessen the pressure of the hoops on the ear.

"anchor points" means poo poo lol