Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

reignonyourparade posted:

Yes, but not

OO
O

because that will let them just jump the one level they need to in order to grab straight onto the overhang.
That’s good to know, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The dorfiest solution of course is

OO
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O
O MAGMA

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

wilderthanmild posted:

Is there a way to clear out cavern plants when they start growing in my dirt layers?

Build roads.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

a fatguy baldspot posted:

when does the steam version come oht

Time is subjective.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Zesty posted:

Time is subjective.

And/or "soon"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Is anything in the OP or the stuff it points to (guides, tips, etc.) still valid these days? I need to re-re-relearn the basics and then hopefully stick with things long enough to get better at the game this time, but I have no idea what a competent beginners guide looks like these days.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm sure it's not obsolete. The important thing to learn about DF is how to use the interface and the basics of dwarf needs and the rest should be up to you to experiment with.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dwarf Fortress Tutorial #1:

d followed by t, select one corner of the map of the surface, then select the opposite corner

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Can magma cool and harden yet or does it stay molten forever?

And how does it interact with rain if one were to fill the map with magma?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It doesn't cool I don't think, but it does evaporate :v:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Ambaire posted:

Can magma cool and harden yet or does it stay molten forever?
Only if you direct water onto it.

quote:

And how does it interact with rain if one were to fill the map with magma?
Nothing happens. Maybe steam? I don't bring my magma to the surface. I keep it underground and drop my enemies into it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Making a horrible abomination just to serve beer, I like this necromancer's style

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A gang of bandits ambushed me just to pet my dog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Mood.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Next time I pet a dog I'm going to give them little news reports and rumors like that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress: A gang of bandits ambushed me just to pet my dog

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress: A gang of bandits ambushed me just to pet my dog

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry_Ed posted:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GorfZaplen posted:

Marv: We're the Pet Bandits

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So I havent played this in god knows how many years, apparently you can drop people onto upright spike pits and itll spike them properly instead of needing to be on the tile when the trap is activated? This opens up a lot of possibilities.

Also wheelbarrows and mine carts :stwoon: I'm very excited to play again

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Spiking also doesn't give them ungodly amounts of training if they survive, which was a bug for a while.

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
I have no idea why but my manager is not checking any of the work orders and it's been 2 seasons since I set this one, i'm not sure why or if i'm just retarded. I know they did some work on it since I played last but I think I have everything still needs to work. (He does have an office but he never seems to be working)
And any jobs that I put in that don't have conditions get done just fine.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

So Math posted:

Spiking also doesn't give them ungodly amounts of training if they survive, which was a bug for a while.

look if they manage to parry the world I think they deserve legendary weapon skill

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

Jay-Roden posted:

I have no idea why but my manager is not checking any of the work orders and it's been 2 seasons since I set this one, i'm not sure why or if i'm just retarded. I know they did some work on it since I played last but I think I have everything still needs to work. (He does have an office but he never seems to be working)
And any jobs that I put in that don't have conditions get done just fine.

You set this job to produce beds if you have more than 10 beds instead of less than. It needs to read available is at most 10. See also the red not satisfied for the next check, that means the job gets rejected.

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!

Happy Litterbox posted:

You set this job to produce beds if you have more than 10 beds instead of less than. It needs to read available is at most 10. See also the red not satisfied for the next check, that means the job gets rejected.

Oooooohhhhhh I thought it was "not satisfied so ill make them" thank you :cheers: still doesn't help i'm retarded and can't read the "at least part".

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So Math posted:

Does that mean you can't carpet your barracks with training spears and have your dwarves dodge constantly as they train? or is that something seperate?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Danaru posted:

Does that mean you can't carpet your barracks with training spears and have your dwarves dodge constantly as they train? or is that something seperate?

So, Dwarven Danger Rooms have been nerfed somewhat in efficacy, but (as of the last major version, haven't tested in a while), I believe you can still do it. The coinstorm and wooden spike variants still worked last I knew, but that's...intended-ish, in that the dwarves really are blocking, parrying, dodging, and being struck by things and receive experience accordingly.

The spike bug in question WAS exploitable for a very different sort of Danger Room setup that was more akin to, eh, I dunno, some comic book bullshit where %90 of the entrants are horribly mangled but the %10 that survived would become as gods. Falling onto a spike inflicts a MASSIVE amount of damage, more the closer to terminal velocity you are, so any creature that managed to parry, block, or deflect the spike with armor would be awarded utterly ludicrous amounts of experience and would suddenly have like Legendary+12 level in whichever skill averted the fatal blow, be it weapons, shields, dodging, or armor. I believe this may have been one possible way of getting the improvised weapon skill to a usable level, but as dwarves aren't prone to carrying their artifact chairs everywhere after creation anymore it was sort of a moot point unless you wanted to go out of your way to engineer Weird poo poo. Either way, pretty sure that bug was fixed a while ago.

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
A skilled cheese maker indeed......

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
*rams turkey bone thru ear* behold!!

*dwarves gasp in admiration*
(Hushed whispers-By the gods...a true master...bring this man more bones)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Danaru posted:

My understanding is that danger rooms are less effective as a result of a separate balancing patch a few years ago. :shrug:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From the Kitfox Discord. For those not in the know, Mayday was hired by them to do some of the art. Not putting it in a giant quote so you can quote pieces of it if you like.

~~~ Quote Mayday

Time is still as subjective as ever
But I gotta say, that Toady's initial coding went much faster than I expected

SOMEONE ELSE: Figured out how to do the mine track ramps?

it's... not a great situation, my dude :smile:
let me show you

If you're interested, I'm working on an issue:

Do you think any tile will fit better than 21?
I already know what would be the "perfect" solution for it, but like I said, I don't want to keep expanding this ramp set -_-

I hope we can get more distinct differentiation between z-levels
my old mockup:

Sneak peek of multilevel in its current early stage.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
:allears:

Every time I see one of these screens, I think how it would be neat for hostiles to face right instead of left. Probably too many edge cases to make it consistent, though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
holy poo poo that multilevel

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ohhhhhhh boy I am exciteeeeeeeed

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

better graphics is a concession to playability that doesn't hamper toadys vision so I am behind it 100%

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sad that danger rooms were nerfed, but happy everyone still calls them that :allears:

The steam version is looking absolutely gorgeous, it was seeing screenshots of it that made me redownload the game :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i'm so stoked tbqh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zesty posted:

SOMEONE ELSE: Figured out how to do the mine track ramps?

it's... not a great situation, my dude :smile:
let me show you

Put little wooden legs under the tracks on ramps to make them look elevated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist