Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smooth jazz posted:

Love eveything about it except that it won't fit in my parking space.

It’s a mid sized sedan. Do you live in Europe or what that it won’t fit a midsized car? My G90 was a bitch to park like 5% of the time in Southern California but otherwise fine. And it’s like two feet longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Genesis A7.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
In most of the world 5m long would be considered a large car

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Genesis A7.

For 60% of the price it should sell as well as the a7, so *cries in sales figures*

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I hate to say this but Genesis needs to come out with SUVs yesterday, if they want to survive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neo_Crimson posted:

I hate to say this but Genesis needs to come out with SUVs yesterday, if they want to survive.

You could take this and turn it into a Navigator-esque SUV I think, and it would probably look pretty good.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Something like the GV80 perhaps?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eyud posted:

Something like the GV80 perhaps?

Looks like they are making SUVs already :toot: crisis averted.

Hell yeah even comes in deep-90s green with brown interior.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

It’s a mid sized sedan. Do you live in Europe or what that it won’t fit a midsized car? My G90 was a bitch to park like 5% of the time in Southern California but otherwise fine. And it’s like two feet longer.

My condo had "small car" parking.
This is my neighbours Honda Passport, he has to park like this every day.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

All the bleating about land cruisers that nobody will buy just like always and the news about a 2.4L turbo toyobaru is ignored? WTF AI?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BloodBag posted:

All the bleating about land cruisers that nobody will buy just like always and the news about a 2.4L turbo toyobaru is ignored? WTF AI?

I mean, I'm encouraged to be sure. However, the car is a redesigned model and I really need to be sure they didn't gently caress it up before I get too excited about it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Front wheels against the curb, this is the oppression that is Europe. (pls ignore the oil dripping everywhere)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I mean, I'm encouraged to be sure. However, the car is a redesigned model and I really need to be sure they didn't gently caress it up before I get too excited about it.

They'll design in two torque dips this time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Russian Bear posted:

They'll design in two torque dips this time.

No, they'll fix the engine but make uglier than a new Sonata and I won't be able to make myself buy one :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If they'll make it an over complicated mess. I don't want mini-supra, I want a BRZ with more power.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Front wheels against the curb, this is the oppression that is Europe. (pls ignore the oil dripping everywhere)

Outside of my work (to be fair that's a particularly short park, the next one is quite a bit longer)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Like how redesigned? Assume they wouldnt throw out the work on that chassis even if it is ... five? years old at this point.

Guess we don't know a ton right now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like how redesigned? Assume they wouldnt throw out the work on that chassis even if it is ... five? years old at this point.

Guess we don't know a ton right now

It's been rumored for awhile that it will move to a Toyota platform and the only thing subaru will be supplying is the engine.

The current rumor goes that a source at subaru says that the current global platform can't be modified for a RWD only vehicle and there's no way they are going to keep the current platform.

The BRZ as it exists now is a 8 year old model (first went on sale in April 2012) based on a heavily modified Impreza platform that I think is at least two generations old.

Sure i guess it's possible they'll keep the same platform, but it's rumored they will be moving to the TGNA platform. Again all rumors at this point, but that's where we are.

TGNA platform isn't a death knell, the devil is in the details. I just want them to make a small RWD car with a simple mechanical diff that's easy to drive hard. There's something special about how direct the BRZ is and i hope they don't gently caress that up with the new model.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 30, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Then why even bother keeping the Subbie motor at that point then.

Just call it the Camry 86

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Then why even bother keeping the Subbie motor at that point then.

Just call it the Camry 86

Packaging under the hood. Low center of gravity and low overhang.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the Trump EPA's final proposal on abolishing Obama's CAFE regulations come out tomorrow. Hopefully with his new war-time powers he can also finally force GM to put a supercharger on the Escalade and make an Escalade V.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also toyota doesn't have a compact FR drivetrain. Supra is BMW sourced and too big, IS is too big.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also toyota doesn't have a compact FR drivetrain. Supra is BMW sourced and too big, IS is too big.

From the same presentation, the next IS is also going (back) to an inline-6 made by BMW.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Apparently the TGNA platform can be adapted to RWD easier than the current subaru global platform, at least that's what's been leaked so far.

They are both AWD platforms and both would have to be heavily modified to be RWD only.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

why doesn't toyota just marry BMW if they love them so much.

Give me a BMW-badged Tundra for $800 at auction in 15 years

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Sorry guys, it's going to be FWD, CVT only, optional hybrid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Make it a hatch or more useable as a daily. The original WAS a Corolla :P I dunno.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Charles posted:

Make it a hatch or more useable as a daily. The original WAS a Corolla :P I dunno.

okay, but what if, how about, we go the whole other way, by which of course i mean the whole other way.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bull3964 posted:

Apparently the TGNA platform can be adapted to RWD easier than the current subaru global platform, at least that's what's been leaked so far.

They are both AWD platforms and both would have to be heavily modified to be RWD only.

I'm calling BS on the "heavily modified" part. The BRZ is at it's core a Crosstrek / XV with the shock towers moved and some minor firewall / transmission mount changes. It even uses preexisting mounting holes to mount the front sub frame. If one idiot and his mates can work out how to AWD a BRZ with basically off the shelf parts, a frigging car company can work out how to RWD a AWD platform. Hell it should be easier now that the turbo is front mounted and low.

The main difference is of course the engine is set back 30 cm in the BRZ over the Crosstrek /XV, which then accounts for the minor transmission tunnel changes. If anything given the AWD gearbox is bigger than the Aisin six speed RWD only gearbox, it should be harder to go the other way (and it is, the BRZ tunnel is also narrower)

The real modification is of course the two dooor body. But frankly dont believe a word about the underpinnings being THAT hard to change.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Remember the last 86 design bandied about was the electric one which had a loving bizarre fake manual shifter and looked like poo poo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Powershift posted:

okay, but what if, how about, we go the whole other way, by which of course i mean the whole other way.

As long as the engine is directly behind the driver in this fantasy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Russian Bear posted:

As long as the engine is directly behind the driver in this fantasy.

Just literally make the SW20 again gently caress all this collaboration nonsense.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Remember the last 86 design bandied about was the electric one which had a loving bizarre fake manual shifter and looked like poo poo.

I kinda like that though. It has some serious last gen celica vibes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm calling BS on the "heavily modified" part. The BRZ is at it's core a Crosstrek / XV with the shock towers moved and some minor firewall / transmission mount changes. It even uses preexisting mounting holes to mount the front sub frame. If one idiot and his mates can work out how to AWD a BRZ with basically off the shelf parts, a frigging car company can work out how to RWD a AWD platform. Hell it should be easier now that the turbo is front mounted and low.

The main difference is of course the engine is set back 30 cm in the BRZ over the Crosstrek /XV, which then accounts for the minor transmission tunnel changes. If anything given the AWD gearbox is bigger than the Aisin six speed RWD only gearbox, it should be harder to go the other way (and it is, the BRZ tunnel is also narrower)

The real modification is of course the two dooor body. But frankly dont believe a word about the underpinnings being THAT hard to change.

Agree that the underpinnings are not too difficult, especially in the modern age of modular architectures. TNGA-L will be different for AWD vs RWD applications but indeed it has been designed from the ground up to do both. All the other TNGA platforms are transverse, so FRS2 is going to be on TNGA-L if it's moving to any variant of TNGA. But it seems a bit strange to move to TNGA-L and keep Subaru power, since I kind of doubt that either of those platforms was designed for a H4. It's a lot harder to make those changes than the AWD to RWD conversion. If they're really keeping Subaru power, they're going to stick with Subaru architecture.

I think it's also theoretically possible that the FRS2 moves to BMW CLAR, same architecture as Supra, with a BMW turbo I4 as the powerplant. The IS rumors with a BMW inline six mean that it's possible they are moving all of the smaller FR cars to CLAR or a CLAR derivative. Or it could be a BMW I6 in TNGA-L for the next gen IS, also possible, which still raises doubts about the FRS2 architecture.

edit: probably no CLAR for FRS2 since Toyota announced an additional equity position in Subaru, so it sounds like they will forge ahead on the non-TNGA path.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 31, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

New Alpine vibes, but in a bad way.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Powershift posted:

cool G6 coupe bro

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why would an electric car have a grille or an exhaust?

Edit: Because it's a hybrid, apparently.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/toyotas-made-reventon-hybrid-sports-car

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 31, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KillHour posted:

Why would an electric car have a grille or an exhaust?

Same reason cars with CVTs have ~shift points~

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KakerMix posted:

Same reason cars with CVTs have ~shift points~

Except "shift points" comes in useful as the real world actually needs more than sit at a predefined rpm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They should just put a big lever in CVT cars that will directly adjust the reduction ratio