Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah. That's the beauty of the programme though. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, another level of depravity.

Lol wow you weren't kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NA goon FC in FF14 has changed its tag to <<beans>> and I have enjoyed informing them about their prospects re: blasting up backside

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

NA goon FC in FF14 has changed its tag to <<beans>> and I have enjoyed informing them about their prospects re: blasting up backside

They don't have baked beans though, and what kind of sicko blasts butter beans, kidney beans, or heaven forfend cannellini beans up the backside?

Have some drat standards

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

mehall posted:

They don't have baked beans though, and what kind of sicko blasts butter beans, kidney beans, or heaven forfend cannellini beans up the backside?

Have some drat standards

Listen I wasn't there to debate bean types, I was merely reveling in the promise to blast some beans up [their] backsides!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mehall posted:

Have some drat standards

"In the absence of haricot, providence will provide a bean" ~ pissed Issac Newton, probably.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Shocking:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nhs-uk-doctors-gagged-england-a9433171.html

quote:

Coronavirus: NHS doctors 'gagged' over protective equipment shortages
Exclusive: Staff on frontline of pandemic warned not to speak out about concerns over lack of protective gear

Shaun LinternHealth Correspondent @ShaunLintern
Monday 30 March 2020 22:56
47 comments

Frontline doctors have told The Independent they have been gagged from speaking out about shortages of protective equipment as they treat coronavirus patients – with some claiming managers have threatened their careers.

Staff have been warned not to make any comments about shortages on social media, as well as avoiding talking to journalists, while NHS England has taken over the media operations for many NHS hospitals and staff.

The Independent has seen a series of emails and messages warning staff not to speak to the media during the coronavirus outbreak.

etc etc

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Awwww Jeremy ❤️

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1244759057803722753?s=19

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
as ever, the Freedoms Of Liberalism last precisely as long as is convenient. doesn't even need state intervention!

also

quote:

Dr Beanland, a GP partner at Portcullis surgery in Ludlow,
:crossarms:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/ianjamesyoung70...ingawful.com%2F

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone think it’s weird that we’re not seeing more doom-laden conspiracy theories? That the virus is way worse than the government admits or that the media reports and far more people are dying?

I’m not saying that I believe that, it just feels like the obvious place for those theories to go. It would even tie into the perennial theme of the NWO or whoever wanting to cull the populace to stop overpopulation.

So why do all the theories seem to be that the virus isn’t real, or is overblown in some way?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I mean it's unlikely to be trump himself but yeah

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Does anyone think it’s weird that we’re not seeing more doom-laden conspiracy theories? That the virus is way worse than the government admits or that the media reports and far more people are dying?

I’m not saying that I believe that, it just feels like the obvious place for those theories to go. It would even tie into the perennial theme of the NWO or whoever wanting to cull the populace to stop overpopulation.

So why do all the theories seem to be that the virus isn’t real, or is overblown in some way?

Conspiracy theories are a way to feel in control in a chaotic unpredictable world. They tell you that there is order and structure, they are a comfort blanket. The virus is what's currently scaring people so they aren't going to start believing it's worse, much more likely to go the other way.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we have a conspiracy theorist leader of the free world. where they once wanted to believe Obama or bush were exploiting power to send them to a concentration camp, they now think their fash strongman leader is infalable and benevolent. they'll dance to his tune.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My gf follows RT on facebook because it's full of crackpots and the non stop conspiracy theories are funny. The main ones seem to be:

It's actually 5g killing everyone and covid is a cover up,

It's a secret plot by the germans to revenge over brexit,

Antivaxxers thinking it's a plot to scare everyone into being vaccinated,

The new world order tricking everyone to stay inside so we won't notice them implementing their order.

There's more, I'll take note.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Coohoolin posted:

My gf follows RT on facebook because it's full of crackpots and the non stop conspiracy theories are funny. The main ones seem to be:

It's actually 5g killing everyone and covid is a cover up,

It's a secret plot by the germans to revenge over brexit,

Antivaxxers thinking it's a plot to scare everyone into being vaccinated,

The new world order tricking everyone to stay inside so we won't notice them implementing their order.

There's more, I'll take note.

lmao

I mean all of them are insane but the one about the Germans is especially mental

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ms Adequate posted:

Listen I wasn't there to debate bean types, I was merely reveling in the promise to blast some beans up [their] backsides!

If news about condom shortages are accurate and the lockdown gets extended I expect there will be many beans blasted up many backsides over the coming months.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Weasling Weasel posted:

Because i've gone down a rabbit hole of paranoia, I took my blood pressure today twice just to try and make sure the co-morbidities didn't exist and that my chance of dying (0.2% was less than my chance of dying over the next 5 years naturally anyway 0.3?%) My blood pressure registed 159/82 the first time and I almost cried, and then two hours later I did it again and it registered 124/79, so I don't really know anything other than this month is sending me loving mad.

263 AD: Lots of stuff happened in China in the Three Kingdoms war. Don't think any of it involved a virus.

150/100 here, been measuring for a while now, around 130/85 when I lie down, but more like the first number when I am up...

I started on blood pressure medication last night.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol libs gonna lib

https://twitter.com/Commie_In_EMS/status/1244633438046564355?s=19

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

A one off high blood pressure reading doesn't mean anything unless it's extreme with no reason, it fluctuates through the day depending on what you're doing. Unless it's above 180/120 you're supposed to get a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and you only get diagnosed with high blood pressure if the average is high.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Algol Star posted:

A one off high blood pressure reading doesn't mean anything unless it's extreme with no reason, it fluctuates through the day depending on what you're doing. Unless it's above 180/120 you're supposed to get a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and you only get diagnosed with high blood pressure if the average is high.

Been measuring at home myself for a year (a week or so here and there) and writing it down, on doctors orders. Every time I sit up it's like that or higher so for my part it wasn't a sudden decision. I have diabetes (not type 1 or 2, just damaged pancreas) so I get regular checkups and BP is extra important ot keep down as well when you have the diabeetus.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/ShesfromWales/status/1244796583536975873

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Algol Star posted:

Conspiracy theories are a way to feel in control in a chaotic unpredictable world. They tell you that there is order and structure, they are a comfort blanket. The virus is what's currently scaring people so they aren't going to start believing it's worse, much more likely to go the other way.

The podcast On The Media did a good episode where they looked at the prepper response to the coronavirus spreading and it was really interesting. Basically, the types to indulge in those sorts of conspiracy theories don't plan for something as banal as new type of flu pandemic; their doomsday fantasies are almost always much more elaborate and sinister, and conveniently fitted to their preparatory equipment and supplies. The emergence of a genuinely threatening scenario that they haven't prepared for combined with the fact that most are die hard right wingers who hew towards the narrative in the media they consume means that they are far more likely to play it down than play it up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I feel like many of the Corona sceptics are boomers in denial of their age and vulnerability to it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Exactly, it's like this is perfectly calibrated to trigger boomer scepticism. Since the early 90s, multiple foreign strains of the flu as well as other infectious diseases have been touted as the next pandemic, and thanks to luck, actual global cooperation, and effective public health responses none of them has hit the West in a meaningful way. Now that a big chunk of the boomers have aged out of standard neoliberalism into ethnonationalism, it fits perfectly with their view of the world that this is just another overblown, hysterical attempt by the MSM to stir up some news coverage and hurt the conservative governments in power.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

The podcast On The Media did a good episode where they looked at the prepper response to the coronavirus spreading and it was really interesting. Basically, the types to indulge in those sorts of conspiracy theories don't plan for something as banal as new type of flu pandemic; their doomsday fantasies are almost always much more elaborate and sinister, and conveniently fitted to their preparatory equipment and supplies. The emergence of a genuinely threatening scenario that they haven't prepared for combined with the fact that most are die hard right wingers who hew towards the narrative in the media they consume means that they are far more likely to play it down than play it up.

It's because by far the biggest strand in prepper thought is the Turner Diaries. They'll talk about zombies or paratroopers (domestic or foreign) but even the slightest scratch of the surface reveals who it really is that they're thinking of protecting themselves from.

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel like many of the Corona sceptics are boomers in denial of their age and vulnerability to it.

This too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Can anyone with the right statistical or scientific knowledge tell me if these conclusions on lead in Alpine ice, air pollution in the 1100s and Thomas Becket are complete bollocks or not, because it sure sounds like it to me: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52095694

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Most of the conspiracy stuff is bollocks ofc but I do kinda buy the idea that Boris never actually caught it and it was all for show

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It all sounds about right but the conclusion is worded perhaps misleadingly :shrug:

It's only talking about lead pollution though, so where it sounds misleading is "They argue that the idea that atmospheric pollution started with the industrial revolution are incorrect." because nobody is actually saying that. Pliny the Elder describes Romans removing entire loving mountains to look for gold underneath, and there's evidence of the pollution that caused. The mines at Almadén produced 250,000 metric tons of mercury over nearly two millennia of operation, mostly operated by slaves or prisoners, and there's plenty of evidence of the pollution that caused.

Nobody anywhere is saying "air pollution began in 1729 when John Thomas Air-Pollution invented it", so they seem to be deliberately conflating heavy metal air contamination with the extraction and burning of fossil carbon, which are two completely different things.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

It all sounds about right but the conclusion is worded perhaps misleadingly :shrug:

It's only talking about lead pollution though, so where it sounds misleading is "They argue that the idea that atmospheric pollution started with the industrial revolution are incorrect." because nobody is actually saying that. Pliny the Elder describes Romans removing entire loving mountains to look for gold underneath, and there's evidence of the pollution that caused. The mines at Almadén produced 250,000 metric tons of mercury over nearly two millennia of operation, mostly operated by slaves or prisoners, and there's plenty of evidence of the pollution that caused.

Nobody anywhere is saying "air pollution began in 1729 when John Thomas Air-Pollution invented it", so they seem to be deliberately conflating heavy metal air contamination with the extraction and burning of fossil carbon, which are two completely different things.

Yeah, maybe that's it. The story sounded suspiciously like it was heading in some crypto climate denialist direction towards the end.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Identify this suburban sound for me cause it's driving me absolutely apeshit: it's like an idling car engine, lasts for 15-20 seconds and raises in pitch before it suddenly stops, like 'brrrrrrrRRRRTT'. It happens fairly regularly in the morning and evening, and I can hear it regularly out the back window (facing other houses), but I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Some kind of water pump refilling or something?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

John Thomas Air-Pollution

*Extremely TFTM voice:

That's *SIR* John Air-Pollution, inventor of air pollution.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016

Necrothatcher posted:

Can anyone with the right statistical or scientific knowledge tell me if these conclusions on lead in Alpine ice, air pollution in the 1100s and Thomas Becket are complete bollocks or not, because it sure sounds like it to me: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52095694

It's outside my wheelhouse but I'm going to place a bet on 'perfectly reasonable piece research, chopped up worse than Becket to fit a pop-sci mold'.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Reading through the original article in Antiquity, the ice core and air pollution data are sound, but, as is often the case when the media picks this stuff up, the connection to the famous historical event is somewhat tenuous. There was a dip in lead/silver smelting right around AD 1170, but there is a 2.9 year (+-1.5 year) margin of error in that range of the ice core record. I'd still say it's probable that that dip is probably connected to the disruption surrounding Becket's actions, though, given that tax records do indicate a major drop in income in that year.

Edit: Just for a little further clarity: ice cord records like these are mostly laminated by annual snowfalls, and if you can pin down specific unusual atmospheric phenomena by analysing each layer, you can produce an annual-layer chronology. The fixed chronological points employed in this record were the eruption of the Icelandic volcano Eldgjá, in AD 939 and the huge decrease in production after the onset of the Black Death, which first occurred in AD 1349. To quote the article:

quote:

Theoretically, while there could have been a 35- to 40-year error at the point in the ice dated to 1349 by layer-counting, in practice the lead intensity plummeted to levels barely measurable precisely at the layer-counted ice dated to 1349. This independently demonstrates that there was no actual error in the annual layer-counting in the mid fourteenth century. The CG Eldgjá marker was dated by layer-counting to 945, giving a maximum error of six years from the eruption date in 939. Therefore, a six-year error margin had accumulated over the 410-year interval between 1349 and 939. Assuming an equal build-up of error, the error margin envelope encompassing this study would be 1.8 years at
1220 (±1 year), and 2.9 years (±1.5 years) at 1150.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 31, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jackhunter64 posted:

Identify this suburban sound for me cause it's driving me absolutely apeshit: it's like an idling car engine, lasts for 15-20 seconds and raises in pitch before it suddenly stops, like 'brrrrrrrRRRRTT'. It happens fairly regularly in the morning and evening, and I can hear it regularly out the back window (facing other houses), but I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Some kind of water pump refilling or something?

Possibly a macerator pump for a toilet in an extension/basement?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Extremely TFTMJRM voice:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Possibly a macerator pump for a toilet in an extension/basement?

Sounds a bit like it from the videos I've looked at, but they would have to be making GBS threads at least three to four times per hour for this rate of noise occurence

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What is the deal with the stupidly low "recovered" stat in the UK. Are they just not tracking them properly? (I am looking at the John Hopkins map btw.)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Extremely TFTM voice:

Hahaha, I was going to make this exact same joke. Amazing how many historically awful Britons were honoured or ennobled for their misdeeds.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jackhunter64 posted:

Sounds a bit like it from the videos I've looked at, but they would have to be making GBS threads at least three to four times per hour for this rate of noise occurence

haha shitter goes brrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Which server are you playing on? I finally reached Heavensward, so I might be able to visit the goon FC on Omega sometime before Christmas.