Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know, I think you're missing my point. For me, in New York, WPIX was an independent station. So even though Next Gen was syndicated it was being treated as primetime television for this independent channel because they didn't have actual network produced original programming. But by 95, WB took over, and offered actual prime time programming.

What I'm basically suggesting is: Was part of the reason that Next Gen so successful because independent stations could buy the syndication rights and spin it as a prime time TV? And did Deep Space 9 suffer by having WB and UPN taking over independent stations?

hi5 WPIX buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pretty sure it was WPIX at like 11pm or so back in the 80s where I first really started watching Star Trek.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thread for the thread.
https://twitter.com/MichaelBaumann/status/1244700850733420546

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:allears:

https://twitter.com/sirpatstew/status/1244737103386292225

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

150,000 people keeping an all-access sub for a single year would be over $12 million. That's at the lower subscription tier which also has advertising, so that's additional revenue on top of that.

Like I said, if Viacom/CBS cannot figure out a way to monetize this and have it pay off the investment, they are pants on head stupid.

Of course they're pants on head stupid, they're a big corporate entity! See also how CBS totally hosed up the TNG HD release by allowing SD versions to compete with it in streaming.

I mean, hell, they ought to be able to just say "okay, once enough people preorder, we'll commit to it"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm good with throwing DS9 into the HD AI process.

Please do not re-do entire sequences with modern graphics design ala What We Left Behind, though. One of the problems Star Trek has is being ashamed of the special effects of it's time. About the only special effect I've seen that's just so straight up bad that I wish it could be redone is Odo's fight with the changling at the end of season 3.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but S3 of DS9 is probably its actual weakest season, below S1 when graded on a curve for Trek first seasons and how they were developing the overall series story.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Isn't like, Improbable Cause and The Die is Cast in that season? Our Man Bashir? Past Tense? Improbable Cause? Civil Defense? House of Quark? Defiant? Second Skin? The Adversary?

edit: I checked and Our Man Bashir is not season 3. But Explorers is in it. Lots of weak episodes like Meridian, Prophet Motive, Shakaar, Visions as well though.

But that's a strong first seven episodes from The Search to Civil Defense. Meridian is in the running for the worst episode in the series sure but right after that is Defiant of sideburn fame. I guess the back half of the season is kinda lame aside from the Improbable Cause two parter.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 31, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, literally just finished Season 3 and I'd say at worst it's uneven, not weak. Some great episodes and some stinkers but overall fine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hoo boy that "jaunty" version of the Enterprise theme song starting in Season 3. :wtc: If they wanted to retool the show they should have just admitted they hosed up and gone to an instrumental theme.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Faith of the Heart is a good song and opening though

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Isn't like, Improbable Cause and The Die is Cast in that season? Our Man Bashir? Past Tense? Improbable Cause? Civil Defense? House of Quark? Defiant? Second Skin? The Adversary?

edit: I checked and Our Man Bashir is not season 3. But Explorers is in it. Lots of weak episodes like Meridian, Prophet Motive, Shakaar, Visions as well though.

But that's a strong first seven episodes from The Search to Civil Defense. Meridian is in the running for the worst episode in the series sure but right after that is Defiant of sideburn fame. I guess the back half of the season is kinda lame aside from the Improbable Cause two parter.

Right but also they start the season off by bringing in the Defiant and everything, and then they mostly are recycling the same kind of episodes they were doing in seasons 1 and 2. Not so much looking at it episode by episode (although it is spotty) as much as it's just feels even more uncertain about where it wants to go than even S1 and S2.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Lion posted:

Just like DS9 they make it worse when they change it, though

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOK_NCM0kko

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but S3 of DS9 is probably its actual weakest season, below S1 when graded on a curve for Trek first seasons and how they were developing the overall series story.

I think S2's probably overall weaker - it's got a bunch of episodes like "Second Sight", "Rivals" and "Playing God" that just feel weirdly half-baked, with stories that don't really go anywhere, and it doesn't have as many high points to balance them out, whereas S3 has a bunch of really good stories like "Improbable Cause".

On the other hand, S2 has a much stronger opening, while S3's "The Search" has a total cop-out of an ending.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Angry Salami posted:

S3's "The Search" has a total cop-out of an ending.

It's not great but explains why the Dominion is not just a constant threat and steamrolling over the universe, after "The JemHadar" showed that they can blow up the Federation's biggest projection of power with relatively few losses, and Search pt2's entire point is that total diplomacy isn't possible.

I'm watching season 7 now and man I love Nu-Dax so much.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 31, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
DS9: S2E11 "Rivals"

Why do the monks need money to buy blankets? Couldn't you replicate a new blanket every day of the week

Also, does the name Deep Space 9 make any sense before they move it to the wormhole, where it actually is in deep space? They should have called Starbase 247 or something and it gets renamed at the end.

Edit:247 is already in use but it's only an example.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Beachcomber posted:

DS9: S2E11 "Rivals"

Why do the monks need money to buy blankets? Couldn't you replicate a new blanket every day of the week
... .

Bajor was hosed hard after the occupation. It's implied that a lot of the planet doesn't have basic services for the first season or two, so no power to run any replicators the Cardassians left behind.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It might've been a bit of a retcon, but Deep Space means a starbase on the border of or outside of Federation territory. It's like how exploration missions like the Enterprises do are called Deep Space assignments.

Presumably Deep Space Nine would've been renamed to Starbase after Bajor joins the Federation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 31, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1244684488350654465?s=20

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

NOT TODAY SATAN

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

It might've been a bit of a retcon, but Deep Space means a starbase on the border of or outside of Federation territory. It's like how exploration missions like the Enterprises do are called Deep Space assignments.

Presumably Deep Space Nine would've been renamed to Starbase after Bajor joins the Federation.
Wasn't there an episode where someone (Kira?) gives Bashir poo poo over the station's "Deep Space" designation because for her, it isn't?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Payndz posted:

Wasn't there an episode where someone (Kira?) gives Bashir poo poo over the station's "Deep Space" designation because for her, it isn't?

It was like in the pilot I think, when Bashir's entire schtick was being the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, wet-behind-the-ears naive Earther who was going out to practice "frontier medicine."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah he calls it frontier medicine and Kira is like 'excuse me motherfucker what medicine? I live here you little poo poo'

Man, DS9 would've been better if Kira could swear. Not everyone, just her.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Maybe. But allowing colorful metaphors just opens the door to Admiral The loving Hubris.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drone posted:

Maybe. But allowing colorful metaphors just opens the door to Admiral The loving Hubris.

That scene would have been a thousand times better if it had been Nechayev.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I've come to realize that, at least on the Federation side of things, the ship designs in DISCO add probably as much as First Contact to the lexicon of ship designs, even though it's mostly covered up by by the ugly detailing and sizing.

edit- although apparently the Buran was just an STO design and the Hernandez was in a comic...so I might be over-stating things!

I guess the Mcgee and Gagarin count for something.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 31, 2020

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah he calls it frontier medicine and Kira is like 'excuse me motherfucker what medicine? I live here you little poo poo'

Man, DS9 would've been better if Kira could swear. Not everyone, just her.

They should of done the BSG thing of having different space swear words.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pastamania posted:

They should of done the BSG thing of having different space swear words.

They have some.

P'taq
Varool
Merde

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Warp

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pastamania posted:

They should of done the BSG Farscape thing of having different dozens of space swear words.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I've come to realize that, at least on the Federation side of things, the ship designs in DISCO add probably as much as First Contact to the lexicon of ship designs, even though it's mostly covered up by by the ugly detailing and sizing.

Oh way more. There were four new ships in First Contact, there are about ten new ships in Battle of the Binary Stars alone. They just cranked out a shitton of mediocre background designs. And then there's a few others that crop up along the seasons, and then if you count them I think there's three or four Section 31 ship variants...

I don't think the Buran was from STO, I think there was just a similar design in there.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 31, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope we get a date for Discovery season 3 soon. This season's premise looks interesting.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Spacebump posted:

I hope we get a date for Discovery season 3 soon. This season's premise looks interesting.

That's what we said about Picard

Whoops

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Discovery isn’t exactly high art, but it does have a sort of goofy heart to it. And when it goes off the rails, it’s at least interesting.

I can’t say the same for Picard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Has Gates been inhaling spraypaint? :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/thedenisecrosby/status/1244825438884524032?s=21

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yikes

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

lol at calling people out for not getting invited to a digital birthday party.

Ramadu posted:

That's what we said about Picard

Whoops

I can understand why people didn't like Picard but it was entertaining enough for me. To me, at worst it's better than all TNG movies but First Contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
wtf Denise.