Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaocaholica posted:

Was cruising Netflix and saw that Outbreak was on the 'everyones watching' list. Nice.

I hear it opens strong but ends dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I've been trained in many kinds of PPE, and I've worn n95 masks a handful of times, but I'm not an expert in their use. I recall the training session mentioning comfort as a concern; if the mask isn't comfortable then the user is more likely to fidget with it, which is bad. If the mask is noticeably uncomfortable then it's probably being worn wrong, these masks are actually supposed to be comfortable by design but aren't usually worn for extremely long periods.

I think that attaching the straps to a paperclip at the back of one's head would not meaningfully alter how a mask is put on or put off; you'd still grab and hold the same straps in the same ways, you'd just detach them from a paperclip first, which sounds very easy. Can you explain to me why a clip at the back of the head would make putting on or taking off an n95 mask less secure? Please be specific because I really want to understand where you're coming from here.

You'd obviously still perform a fit test, the number of anchor points is the same (the straps connect to 2 ends of a paper clip), a clip arguably provides more tautness and therefore friction (not less), and you'd take it off and put it on in the same way, so I don't understand what the problem is.

Just in general, my training and background (hazwop) was "this is how you wear PPE correctly, this is how you take it off correctly, don't get creative"

So angry mask opinions aside, one of the biggest issue of the argument seems to be "well you can't trust people to always wear their mask correctly and it won't prevent infection" followed up by people insisting that reason will prevail and people with take it seriously and wear the mask correctly.

Now someone is posting a mask hack and goons are going "yeah, sure, can't see a problem, wear it how you want"

Health and safety standards are pretty rigid. Letting people fuss around with PPE just because "I don't see how it could be a problem" is antithesis to the entire point of the H&S standards.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 31, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is the pandemic thread where we're talking about homemade T-shirt masks and four people on a ventilator. I feel like a paperclip doesn't really register next to those.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
University of Florida: hold my aromatic plague herbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhgUCOhOCNM

I do believe that that is a cake pan serving as the controller housing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope if the US can have one thing change due to all this it is that people start wearing masks when they are sick like in Asia.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
What I've learnt about masks in this thread.

The average person wearing one instantly starts rubbing their hands on exposed metal surfaces and jamming their fingers under the mask into their nose and eyes.

After 5 mins of wear a mask is a dripping sponge of pure liquid virus

Most people sneeze and cough with enough force to blast liquid straight through either cloth or masks.

If the mask isn't fitted with 100% perfection it draws virus towards the wearer like a gravity well

The position of the ear straps is super important.

Most importantly you, whoever you are, are simply not capable enough to put a mask on, it would be like watching a chimp trying to put on a spacesuit.

Put a loving mask on when you go out and chuck it away when you get home. jfc

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I can’t loving stand working from home. Not seeing people. I’m going mad. And I don’t know if I had it but I just recovered so I can’t go outside for two weeks.

I’m taking my prescription benzos like candy and working 11–hour days on a thing that is critical for a whole lot of people right now. I’m stuck in a one bedroom apartment. I think my old dog is starting to slow down and if he decides to die while this poo poo is happening I’m just going to go off the deep end.

Thank god for my job but gently caress I wish I could take some time off.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Or practice social distancing and cover your coughs. Medical professionals don’t get to stand 6 feet away from their patients and need the masks more than you.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I can’t loving stand working from home. Not seeing people. I’m going mad. And I don’t know if I had it but I just recovered so I can’t go outside for two weeks.

I’m taking my prescription benzos like candy and working 11–hour days on a thing that is critical for a whole lot of people right now. I’m stuck in a one bedroom apartment. I think my old dog is starting to slow down and if he decides to die while this poo poo is happening I’m just going to go off the deep end.

Thank god for my job but gently caress I wish I could take some time off.

Hang in there. Cabin fever is a rough time, I hope you get through it. Hoping the old boy sticks around for a good long time. Got anyone you can phone up and talk to? Sometimes it helps to just hear a real human voice.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

PederP posted:

Hang in there. Cabin fever is a rough time, I hope you get through it. Hoping the old boy sticks around for a good long time. Got anyone you can phone up and talk to? Sometimes it helps to just hear a real human voice.

Yeah I have loads of meetings at work. Video calls from 8-7 then I have to catch up on email.

Just... feeling low.

But thank you goon.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Yeah I have loads of meetings at work. Video calls from 8-7 then I have to catch up on email.

I know this was a typo but I’d be getting weird too if I had 11 hr of video conferencing every day. :v:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I hear it opens strong but ends dumb?

very hollywood :rip:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Or practice social distancing and cover your coughs. Medical professionals don’t get to stand 6 feet away from their patients and need the masks more than you.

Have you ever been on public transportation ?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Just... feeling low.

But thank you goon.

Sucks man. Only advice I have for cabin fever is try to go on some nice walks, work out, and try to have something to look forward to at the end of the day, like a cool computer game or a new hobby or interest. Just to have something cool to think about when work sucks.

Also in terms of social contact, there should really be a general goon corona quarantine discord or something, just for verbal shitposting from all over the world particularly for people stuck alone. I'm sure it would be interesting to talk to people from other parts of the world outside of video games? About not-videogames? Probably less mom jokes and insults?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Living the life

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Hey all, if everyone has been having fun watching America gently caress things up over the last few weeks (some states are doing a lot better than others), prepare for the wonders of Japan. My teacher friends over there are saying that schools are opening up April 3rd, so prepare for some real fun mid-April if they actually go through with this. I've been staying out of the Asia vs. West slap-fight, but Japan's low numbers up to this point have been a result of blind luck, not any policies they've been enacting, so things are going to get really interesting there very soon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

Just in general, my training and background (hazwop) was "this is how you wear PPE correctly, this is how you take it off correctly, don't get creative"

So angry mask opinions aside, one of the biggest issue of the argument seems to be "well you can't trust people to always wear their mask correctly and it won't prevent infection" followed up by people insisting that reason will prevail and people with take it seriously and wear the mask correctly.

Now someone is posting a mask hack and goons are going "yeah, sure, can't see a problem, wear it how you want"

Health and safety standards are pretty rigid. Letting people fuss around with PPE just because "I don't see how it could be a problem" is antithesis to the entire point of the H&S standards.

Yeah what Anne said, basically. You're mixing up two different groups of people talking about two different things, this has nothing to do with the recommendation that the average person not hoard and consume n95 masks.

It sounds like you don't really have justification for why you believe it's a problem beyond "this isn't how this equipment is normally worn". I think it's fine to advise caution, but I also think it's fine if people want to slightly modify how they wear masks so long as they're able to verify that their equipment provides the same amount of protection (which is the whole point of a fit test)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol Japan didn’t do any of that poo poo.

Also wear masks dumbass

I was in Japan right when poo poo went south at the beginning of the month. Maybe half the people were wearing masks and it had more to do with it being allergy season and not sneezing your snot all over people on the trains because that's gross and rude. Trains were still packed, streets were still packed. They shut down museums and attractions to try and prevent tourists from picking it up and spreading it everywhere and moving it outside the country but daily life still seemed pretty normal because that first week of March it was "seems bad but probably not global shutdown of the economy bad, we can just act like it's the flu guys".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hey all, if everyone has been having fun watching America gently caress things up over the last few weeks (some states are doing a lot better than others), prepare for the wonders of Japan. My teacher friends over there are saying that schools are opening up April 3rd, so prepare for some real fun mid-April if they actually go through with this. I've been staying out of the Asia vs. West slap-fight, but Japan's low numbers up to this point have been a result of blind luck, not any policies they've been enacting, so things are going to get really interesting there very soon.

Reopening schools on a Friday is an interesting choice

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Living the life

for that price I should get Machine 56 from Japan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I was in Japan right when poo poo went south at the beginning of the month. Maybe half the people were wearing masks and it had more to do with it being allergy season and not sneezing your snot all over people on the trains because that's gross and rude. Trains were still packed, streets were still packed. They shut down museums and attractions to try and prevent tourists from picking it up and spreading it everywhere and moving it outside the country but daily life still seemed pretty normal because that first week of March it was "seems bad but probably not global shutdown of the economy bad, we can just act like it's the flu guys".

I think Japan was in "We must keep the Olympics going so don't test for it just ignore it IGNORE IT" mode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gildiss posted:

I think Japan was in "We must keep the Olympics going so don't test for it just ignore it IGNORE IT" mode.

Exactly. I think they also have strict testing guidelines. Something like you have to have had contact with someone who has it and you have to show symptoms. They aren't testing like most other places. The numbers are definitely higher but how much higher is a mystery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Have you ever wondered who came up with that most iconic image of the coronavirus?

CDC gives the credit to Alissa Eckert, MS and Dan Higgins, MAMS.

Here it is in full resolution:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Exactly. I think they also have strict testing guidelines. Something like you have to have had contact with someone who has it and you have to show symptoms. They aren't testing like most other places. The numbers are definitely higher but how much higher is a mystery.

They might also have gotten genuinely lucky so far. Most places which got hit bad early they generally had one or two extremely prolific superspreaders among the first few identified cases.

If most international travel is shut down and it either might take a long time to build from a small base of cases or it might fizzle out altogether. How quickly the epidemic gets going is pretty sensitive to its initial condition.

[edit] That said not an epidemiologist etc.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Platystemon posted:

Have you ever wondered who came up with that most iconic image of the coronavirus?

CDC gives the credit to Alissa Eckert, MS and Dan Higgins, MAMS.

Here it is in full resolution:

Makes a really good phone wallpaper if you rotate it. Thanks!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Just... feeling low.

But thank you goon.

outside of meetings try and get some of your friends on video call. Having a video call in the evening gives you something to look forward to as another goon mentioned, but also if you can keep the chat off of the roni, or at least light hearted it can cheer you up. sometimes we do an apero (like light snacks and a drink before dinner)

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Hey all. I work in a hospital and use the N 95 daily now. I doubt that mask hack was for a N 95. Most likely she’s on a unit where surgical masks are worn all day except for aerosol procedures

I’ve never seen a n 95 that wasn’t a two strap design. Top and bottom band. However, I’ve only ever worn ones made by 3M.

We just yesterday set up bins to toss on N95 into. I guess there is a company in Ohio who can sterilize them. I’m doubtful of the effects but we were slowly creeping toward one mask to reuse. what’s the difference :gonk:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Theoretically, if you could separate out like a 100 trillion virions from the liquids and host cells and everything to pack them together and make a virus snowball, would it have a color and could you see it and hold it?

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

We are about to break 800k cases

:toot:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Platystemon posted:

Living the life

If I had the money for something like this I would 100% wear it everywhere right now. Not even for protection. Make sure to hook up some LED's to light up your face like in a sci-fi movie.

Edit: I just noticed she has lovely food service gloves on along with the mask. I guess she spent all her money in one place.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

rear end cobra posted:

Theoretically, if you could separate out like a 100 trillion virions from the liquids and host cells and everything to pack them together and make a virus snowball, would it have a color and could you see it and hold it?

yes, but you would have to wash your hands afterward

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Someone at dictionary.com is annoyed with the same thing I am, apparently.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/respirator-vs-ventilator/

Say it with me folks, a respirator is a mask, a ventilator is a machine. The most annoying part is it’s usually the news constantly calling ventilators “respirators” more than regular people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rear end cobra posted:

Coronaviruses are much smaller than the wavelength of visible light.

A single one doesn’t look like anything because light hardly interacts with it.

If you packed a bunch of them together, I suspect they would be a diffuse white. They’re not on the scale of light, so they don’t preferentially reflect or absorb any particular wavelength. If in a solution, maybe they would have a particular colour due to their small, uniform size, as sometimes happens with nanoparticles, but predicting that is way out of my depth.

The viruses in your snowball would, I think, lose their structural integrity and collapse into a lipid soup. Imagine a big blob of nose oil. Gross.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 31, 2020

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

Coronaviruses are much smaller than the wavelength of visible light.

A single one doesn’t look like anything because light hardly interacts with it.

If you packed a bunch of them together, I suspect they would be a diffuse white. If in a solution, maybe they would have a particular colour due to their small, uniform size, as sometimes happens with nanoparticles, but predicting that is way out of my depth.

The viruses in your snowball would, I think, lose their structural integrity and collapse into a lipids soup. Imagine a big blob of nose oil. Gross.

Thank you :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone at dictionary.com is annoyed with the same thing I am, apparently.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/respirator-vs-ventilator/

Say it with me folks, a respirator is a mask, a ventilator is a machine. The most annoying part is it’s usually the news constantly calling ventilators “respirators” more than regular people.

The use of “epicentre” when “centre” would work perfectly well has annoyed me for years.

“Shenzen is an epicentre of the electronics industry”. Excuse me? It’s not above the centre of anything. It is the centre.

The rhetoric has really ramped up in this pandemic.

The virus didn’t come from under the Earth, people.

Still, I am at least slightly sympathetic to using it in a new sense of “the area worst hit by a disaster”, by analogy to earthquakes, where the word makes literal sense.

It’s sort of like how “tarmac” is just a British word for paving material (a specific obsolete type), which became mistakenly associated specifically with the paved area in the vicinity of airports thanks to international coverage of the highjacking of TWA 847.

schmug
May 20, 2007

So here's a new twist to this suckfest. I'm a part-time dad that has visitation a couple days through the week and then every other week with my 14yo. For some reason my ex(she's an ex for a reason) continues to let my daughter go over her friends house to do whatever teenagers do these days. I'm leaning towards not seeing her for a while now which really sucks because she is about the only person I have been able to have contact with, besides my other essential employees - yay amercia, for the past couple weeks.

This poo poo is loving old already and it hasn't even really started. :smith:

fake edit: sorry for all the e/n

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

The use of “epicentre” when “centre” would work perfectly well has annoyed me for years.

“Shenzen is an epicentre of the electronics industry”. Excuse me? It’s not above the centre of anything. It is the centre.

The rhetoric has really ramped up in this pandemic.

The virus didn’t come from under the Earth, people.

Still, I am at least slightly sympathetic to using it in a new sense of “the area worst hit by a disaster”, by analogy to earthquakes, where the word makes literal sense.

It’s sort of like how “tarmac” is just a British word for paving material (a specific obsolete type), which became mistakenly associated specifically with the paved area in the vicinity of airports thanks to international coverage of the highjacking of TWA 847.

Where it really ends up annoying me is that both respirators and ventilators have been really important to this whole thing and people keep using the terms interchangeably when they talk about ventilators. It’s really unclear communication.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m looking forward to the 2020 version of Innerspace where courageous president DJ Trump played by a muscley strongman bravely gets shrunken down and singlehandedly fights the coronavirus in the blood stream of republican strongman Steven seagal with the bad guys trying to stop him played by the evil democrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

schmug posted:

So here's a new twist to this suckfest. I'm a part-time dad that has visitation a couple days through the week and then every other week with my 14yo. For some reason my ex(she's an ex for a reason) continues to let my daughter go over her friends house to do whatever teenagers do these days. I'm leaning towards not seeing her for a while now which really sucks because she is about the only person I have been able to have contact with, besides my other essential employees - yay amercia, for the past couple weeks.

This poo poo is loving old already and it hasn't even really started. :smith:

fake edit: sorry for all the e/n

Ya, my neighbor kids want to keep coming over to play with my kids and i'm struggling to let their parents know it's not smart.