Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mudskipp posted:

I had something similar for a year or so before my wife finally asked a neighbour. She reckoned it was coming from someone's boiler. I'd been assuming it came on when they washed their hands. I do like the poo poo mashing answer though. I'd been thinking it was an external bit of pipe vibrating, otherwise it'd be mad loud in their house if I can hear it from over the road 3 houses away.

Sound travels in lots of weird ways, if the boiler/pump was in an insulated loft it's entirely possible that it was completely inaudible to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Well, confirmed infection rates haven't dramatically increased over the last few days which is a significant divergence from the Italian experience, but that may be down to testing. I do hope we get lucky on this though because I'd murder a pint.

Italy at least does clearly seem to have peaked in new cases now, so should be starting to recover soon. Potentially the lockdown there could start to be lifted in a month or so.

ISTR Italy is a bad example because of the patchy way the lockdown was implemented, and we should be looking at Lombardy alone for an example of how our strategy is likely to work - that's probably being optimistic but if true it's not impossible that we'll have turned the corner by the end of April and start looking at returning to normal in May.

Does anyone know when the WHO will start releasing data from their trials of treatments? I know the trials only officially started this week so I'd assume at least three weeks before it's even possible to tell if anything's working, but something capable of either treating it or (and this is probably madly optimistic) protecting the most vulnerable before they develop symptoms would also change that considerably.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A useful link for prebooking the wall: https://www.lewiscotter.com/brands?fbclid=IwAR0s2dh18zgt8Vxi62IqwSEt70WCGzhoVBe9OqAgIvnp3iwX0eL2eHex1fM

Pass it around, add information if you have it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sound travels in lots of weird ways, if the boiler/pump was in an insulated loft it's entirely possible that it was completely inaudible to them.

can confirm, especially with how far the Isle of Wight ferry "please return to your car" tannoy announcements are audible in Portsmouth

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The sound waves, upon noticing that they are in Portsmouth, spread rapidly to try to escape.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Guavanaut posted:

Do they sound any different to outside air conditioner units?

Then again those can make some crazy noises if there's something a bit wrong with them.

Aircon is more continous as opposed to periodical IIRC, but both involve compressors and fans, so...

e:'b'

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 31, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Guavanaut posted:

The sound waves, upon noticing that they are in Portsmouth, spread rapidly to try to escape.

wait, made it better

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 31, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ISTR Italy is a bad example because of the patchy way the lockdown was implemented, and we should be looking at Lombardy alone for an example of how our strategy is likely to work - that's probably being optimistic but if true it's not impossible that we'll have turned the corner by the end of April and start looking at returning to normal in May.

I called it that we'd see peak new cases around the second week of April then peak deaths 2-3 weeks after that, with the lockdown being relaxed from mid-May. I imagine there will still be restrictions on public gatherings (maybe pubs etc too?) for a while after personal movement is permitted again, but I'd be surprised if we weren't well on our way to being back to some kind of normality by July. I still stand by this despite some people itt thinking I'm being hopelessly naive - even this imperfect lockdown is more than enough to arrest exponential growth and where I am at least it feels like the majority are taking it seriously.

There may be a second wave of course but I'm not worrying about that atm

E: it's going to go on much much longer than that in the states from what I can tell

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 31, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Semi-serious question - can the virus live on the fur of animals? I'm suddenly worried about my cat and his slatternly behaviour accepting strokes from anyone willing to give them (and habit of touring my neighbours looking for them) being a vector.

Yeah but hopefully not for long. It should have a tough time living on anything alive that it can't infect.
Like it probably doesn't live as long on your skin as it does on a plastic packet.

Still is a potential vector though if your cat gets touched by a lot of strangers.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah but hopefully not for long. It should have a tough time living on anything alive that it can't infect.
Like it probably doesn't live as long on your skin as it does on a plastic packet.

I hope this can be confirmed officially because I saw a lovely staffie waiting outside the supermarket and was sad that I didn't pet it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

can confirm, especially with how far the Isle of Wight ferry "please return to your car" tannoy announcements are audible in Portsmouth

The wheels squealing on the first few DLR trains of the morning do similar things all over the Isle of Dogs - I reckon with clever enough processing you could use it to echolocate all the new buildings going up by tracking the way the noise changes with position.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

There's this enormous dog sized cat that thinks our flat is his home and I gave him some good pets cause it had been a while.

So I'm a dead man walking basically.

Oh actually I did wash my hands right after and I'm now pretty pro at not touching my face while outside so I'm good there.

Girlfriend has horrible toothache and the whole NHS dentists are totally shut down. She's having to brave the outside for a dental kit and Painkillers :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I went out for a walk the other day but a strand of hair escaped my hat and tickled my face and I was powerless to do anything until I got home, by which time i was crawling on the floor and sobbing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

hemale in pain posted:

ahh yes, please give me more boot and never stop

gently caress off.

Edit. Imagine if your Nan had just called you frightened half to death because some prick in expensive walking gear had just parked outside her house and was now sat on her wall shouting loudly into a mobile phone.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 31, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

I called it that we'd see peak new cases around the second week of April then peak deaths 2-3 weeks after that, with the lockdown being relaxed from mid-May. I imagine there will still be restrictions on public gatherings (maybe pubs etc too?) for a while after personal movement is permitted again, but I'd be surprised if we weren't well on our way to being back to some kind of normality by July. I still stand by this despite some people itt thinking I'm being hopelessly naive - even this imperfect lockdown is more than enough to arrest exponential growth and where I am at least it feels like the majority are taking it seriously.

E: it's going to go on much much longer than that in the states from what I can tell

It's barely enough. We are just below the "double in three days" threshold for uncontrolled pandemic growth. Scotland is doing better - we're South Korea to England's Italy - but we should be aiming to be Japan. Except without the anime and panty vending machines, of course.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So has anyone managed to model what would happen if instead of a general lockdown we just said "All vulnerable groups stay indoors for 12 weeks"? Obviously there's loads of potential problems there (e.g. non-vulnerable people living with vulnerable people, medical care for non-COVID conditions in that population, people who don't even know they're vulnerable), but maybe not anything that insurmountable.

I'm just wondering if that might be a viable option if it turns out there's a resurgence in autumn/winter, although I suppose one advantage of the current lockdown is there's lots of volunteers for delivering supplies to those who really can't leave the house.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I went out for a walk the other day but a strand of hair escaped my hat and tickled my face and I was powerless to do anything until I got home, by which time i was crawling on the floor and sobbing

See this is another reason bikers shall inherit the earth. We're all capable of ignoring itchy noses and suppressing coughs and sneezes for hours at a time if required.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's barely enough. We are just below the "double in three days" threshold for uncontrolled pandemic growth. Scotland is doing better - we're South Korea to England's Italy - but we should be aiming to be Japan. Except without the anime and panty vending machines, of course.

Japan but no panty vending machines or cultural output describes the UK quite well

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

The NHSE contracts for use of private hospitals is for 14 weeks starting tomorrow and then rolling afterwards so there is expected to be a majorly disrupted medical system for at least that long.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So has anyone managed to model what would happen if instead of a general lockdown we just said "All vulnerable groups stay indoors for 12 weeks"? Obviously there's loads of potential problems there (e.g. non-vulnerable people living with vulnerable people, medical care for non-COVID conditions in that population, people who don't even know they're vulnerable), but maybe not anything that insurmountable.

I'm just wondering if that might be a viable option if it turns out there's a resurgence in autumn/winter, although I suppose one advantage of the current lockdown is there's lots of volunteers for delivering supplies to those who really can't leave the house.

I think this was the original herd immunity plan right?

Lock up the old and let the young and fit get it until theyr immune and gamgam and peepaw emerge into a new world.

Wasn't it like 250k deaths best case?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think this was the original herd immunity plan right?

Lock up the old and let the young and fit get it until theyr immune and gamgam and peepaw emerge into a new world.

Wasn't it like 250k deaths best case?

Was that it? Obviously it's impossible to tell because the Government announces its plans via journo twitter at 11pm.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

I was under the impression that Japan is a total clusterfuck but looks good because they're basically doing no testing at all?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
If anything I think plod drones should be firing big nets at people out for naughty walks and they have to lie there all tangled up for to be collected by the unclean man with his plague trolley and duly dumped in the leper pits :hai:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I was under the impression that Japan is a total clusterfuck but looks good because they're basically doing no testing at all?

Yup, that does seem to be the general suspicion among the Japanese journos who've been paying attention. One of their most famous comedians just popped his clogs, so we may be seeing a reassessment of the threat there soon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

If anything I think plod drones should be firing big nets at people out for naughty walks and they have to lie there all tangled up for to be collected by the unclean man with his plague trolley and duly dumped in the leper pits :hai:

I told you this was going to lead to some weird fetishes, didn't I? Foreveriallly entombed in police drone nets and loving it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Quite nice visualisation off the BBC

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

gently caress off.

Edit. Imagine if your Nan had just called you frightened half to death because some prick in expensive walking gear had just parked outside her house and was now sat on her wall shouting loudly into a mobile phone.

Oh no! Not a prick in expensive walking gear talking on the phone near my second or third home I've escaped off to!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh no! Not a prick in expensive walking gear talking on the phone near my second or third home I've escaped off to!

And that Nan's name? HITLER

don't be a dick

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol why do you always go out of your way to be a oval office

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The wheels squealing on the first few DLR trains of the morning do similar things all over the Isle of Dogs - I reckon with clever enough processing you could use it to echolocate all the new buildings going up by tracking the way the noise changes with position.

Some audio-analysis work going on in the forensic architecture field.

Give the link time to load:

https://forensic-architecture.org/methodology/audio-analysis

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was that it? Obviously it's impossible to tell because the Government announces its plans via journo twitter at 11pm.

Yeah there was I think exactly one early video of someone mentioning the "quarantine all vulnerable people for the duration" aspect of the plan before it was dropped entirely. Don't think bojo or anyone else at the top ever acknowledged it though.

minema
May 31, 2011
surely it's better not to drive somewhere to go for a walk anyway. yeah the police are bastards but avoiding non-essential travel seems like an easy thing everyone can do

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

minema posted:

surely it's better not to drive somewhere to go for a walk anyway. yeah the police are bastards but avoiding non-essential travel seems like an easy thing everyone can do

with greenhouse gas emissions and pollution falling across the board during the crisis, someone’s got to go out of their way to make up the shortfall

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

minema posted:

Genuinely not sure what harm a walk in the hills is though. If you're not coming into contact with anyone else and aren't going round alternating between touching everything/your face, where's the possibility for infection?

If it's serious enough that you could pick it up from going for a walk by yourself, then why the gently caress are we still letting people go shopping?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

minema posted:

Some people can't safely walk where they actually live. My uncle lives right off a major road in the country side with no pavement. He has to pop into the car with his dog and drive for 5 minutes to a local rambling path.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

TACD posted:

lol why do you always go out of your way to be a oval office

It usually isn't that far out of my way.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
vulnerable in this case should probably include everyone over 50+, maybe even 40+, based on hospitalisation rates, and even then uncontrolled spread amongst the less vulnerable still probably puts you over your bed capacity pretty quickly

then you've got the fact that isolation in the UK atm is not particularly complete so unless we literally forced the vulnerable people to stay in their homes and arranged no contact food deliveries for millions of people (maybe even most of the population) a lot of them would still be getting infected

also, dunno about you but I'm not mad keen on catching this even if I only have a 10% chance of being hospitalised and a 0.2% chance of dying or whatevrr. not sure how many other youngish people would be happy about risking serious illness or death to keep the economy running when everyone else gets to sit inside to keep them safe?

general anaesthetic is disconcerting enough when you go under in a quiet anaesthetic room for a planned operation you know you will almost certainly survive. Lying helpless in a ward surrounded by doctors, nurses and the dying while someone puts a cannula in you, knowing that you're going to be intubated and have 50/50 odds of ever waking up and wondering if the last thing you'll ever feel is the cold running up your arm and across your chest as you rapidly lose the ability to think, that's the stuff of nightmares

MadJackal posted:

Day 8

“We’re going to need to start making decisions on who gets care, and no one is stepping up. No one wants to cross that line."

“I don’t want to go this way.”

The Story of You

You're a reasonably healthy guy in your mid 50s.

Sure, you had a health scare when you were in your mid 30s, a pretty big scare come to think of it. You had some chest pain whenever you worked too hard and went to a heart doctor and after a bunch of tests wound up getting some kind of mesh tube in your heart. Or something. Doesn't matter. You see your heart doctor every year and he tells you you're fine. Maybe lose a couple pounds. Here's a pill you should take for your blood pressure. Maybe you know the name of it, maybe you don't. But you still see your heart doctor, even two decades later, because you want to be healthy.

Your other doctor worries about your sugars. He tells you to take a different pill. Metformin. You know that one's name. Your other doctor also tells you to lose some weight. And he says he doesn't like how high this blood test number is. But you feel fine. It doesn't hurt like the chest pain you had.

Maybe you work at a gas station. Maybe you're a public notary, doesn't matter. You're definitely blue collar. Hair's thinning and mostly grey, you keep it buzzed pretty close to the scalp. You haven't shaven for the past week or so it seems, because you got sick.

You come down with the flu. Fevers that leave you sweating and chills that put you under the extra blankets you keep on the top shelf of your closet. You don't take a temperature though. You just feel awful. And the cough keeps you up at night. You're not coughing up any goo though, so that's good. Right?

You put up with it for a week. The fevers aren't going away. What's more worrying is that it's getting harder to breathe. Not the kind of hard to breathe when you had your heart issue, no, this is taking the wind from you when you walk the length of your room to go take a wiz. So you overcome your stubbornness and go to an Urgent Care.

This new doctor says he doesn't like the sound of your lungs and orders a chest Xray. Your new doctor says you have pneumonia and gives you two more pills to take. Antibiotics. They'll help you start breathing better again.

But you don't start breathing better. And the fevers only go away for a little when you take Tylenol. And you're having to breathe faster now even in bed. You wait three more days, taking the antibiotics which were supposed to fix you, until you're scared enough to head to the Emergency Room. Because you can't breathe.

You're seen by the first new doctor in the afternoon. The nurses put some tubing under your nose and now you don't have to breathe so hard. He's wearing a lot of stuff your other doctors never wore. It's hard to hear him as he speaks through two masks. He probably says something about that virus that’s going around. The COVID virus. And you're shocked because you thought it was the flu, and you haven't been around any sick people. You don't know where you got it from.

Four hours later a different doctor comes by (also wearing a lot of masks and a yellow dress) and says you're heading upstairs. He asks you even more questions. By this time, you had to switch to a face mask to get enough oxygen to breathe ok.

You spend the night in the hospital. You're woken up at 11PM, 1AM, 2AM, and 5AM for a nurse to come take your vitals. If you take your mask off for even a minute, you feel like you've just run up 2 flights of stairs.

Your newest doctors (there's a few of them) wake you up around 8AM. They listen to your lungs, look at the monitor next to your bed that beeps sometimes, and frown. You can tell even under the masks. They say you're going to get different pills. One of them isn't usually used to treat the COVID, but you're desperate to breathe and you agree to it.

Your nurse keeps coming into your room to check your monitor a few times in an hour. You're breathing just as fast as you were at home, even with the mask of oxygen on.

Suddenly there's a lot of talk outside your room. Maybe you can make it out over the sound of the whooshing air into the mask and your own breathing, maybe not. Doesn't matter.

If you were listening, you'd hear an anesthesiologist asking why he was called stat to the room when a decision hasn't been made yet to intubate or not. (Intubate. Do you know what that word means?) You hear a different doctor ask why they weren't called earlier to first evaluate the patient before the anesthesiologist was called. After a minute or two you see a tall doctor enter your room, again with the masks, and the yellow dress.

Things start to move faster now.

He speaks quickly but seemingly without worry in his voice. "How are you feeling?" (Did he even pause to introduce himself? You can't remember.) You answer in clipped words. "It's not hard to breathe," you say, "but I just can't catch my breath."

He explains that your oxygen is too low despite the mask. And he says the only way to help you keep breathing is to stick a plastic tube down your throat and hook you up to a machine. He explains you'll be asleep while it's in. You agree, because why the hell wouldn't you?

He exits just as quickly as he came in. Again, if you're listening closely, outside the door you hear him say to some people you can't see, "We don’t need to intubate in the room, we've got a good five or ten minutes before he goes south. Get him to the sick you."

You probably didn’t hear that last thing right.

You're rolled out of your room in your stretcher to an elevator. You go up and are wheeled into a busy room of other people in beds but with tubes down their throats, with only drapes to separate them, filled with dozens of people in yellow dresses and masks and plastic windshields on their face. There's more of those same dings and bells you heard from your own monitor, but they're all over the room echoing off the floors and walls and ceiling.

Another doctor says you're going to go to sleep. You look scared. You don’t ask any questions, you just keep breathing. The monitor behind you keeps dinging.

You don't even realize they pushed the medicine into your veins in the two seconds it takes for you to stop feeling or hearing anything.

Maybe you remember being in a fog as the medicine wore off a little. Maybe. You choke on the thing in your throat. Your eyes well up. Then you go back to sleep less than a minute later when you're given more medicine. You hope you don’t remember that.

Now you're wherever we go when we sleep.

You hope you wake up.

minema
May 31, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Genuinely not sure what harm a walk in the hills is though. If you're not coming into contact with anyone else and aren't going round alternating between touching everything/your face, where's the possibility for infection?

If it's serious enough that you could pick it up from going for a walk by yourself, then why the gently caress are we still letting people go shopping?

I think it's more that having cars on the road increases risk of breakdowns/accidents requiring assistance, as well as more petrol refills. idk I have been taking the dogs on pavement walks only since lockdown started since it seems like it's not essential to be driving elsewhere.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol Japan's plan is to let all the elderly die to help alleviate their hugely lopsided demographics and then feign ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i agree that travelling some place out of your way is dumb, though just going for a drive to take your dog for a walk is fine, but police enforcing random not-laws is real bad.

also i dont wanna be a jerk but maybe dont move to the countryside and then get annoyed when others do the same? i dunno