Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
personally, i feel that Square betrayed their fans' trust in them when they released a sequel to Final Fantasy. many people at the time, myself included, were under the assumption that it would be the final piece of fantasy media made, ever. by anyone. if fans of the fantasy genre had known that was false, i, along with many others, would not have rushed to purchase a copy at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
FF8 loving sucks

vv see? vv

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 31, 2020

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CarlCX posted:

I've been using the lockdown to catch up on my ages-old quest to play through all the Final Fantasy games. Back in the day I had skipped VIII and had gone all this time without ever touching it, and now, twenty years later, I have finally played and completed Final Fantasy VIII.

Final Fantasy VIII is loving trash.

Actually, it's very good and this is a very bad opinion

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Auron in Final Fantasy X is cool as gently caress and him showing up at the end of the Blitzball tournament marked the start of the game going from a fun diversion to loving awesome for me.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FFX is really loving good and I need to pickup the Remaster. Hell, all of the FFs are good in some way or another.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm currently playing through Final Fantasy V on the PC, which is good and fun but suffers from a severe case of "wait, what was I supposed to be doing?". If it's been more than a week between times I've played it and I'm out on the open world map, I will start the game with no idea where I'm meant to be going and not that much in the way of cues.

It's still good, I just wander aimlessly a bit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Lamuella posted:

we do have an ice cream maker, but it's a cheapie (£15 on Amazon), but once you have that and a decent recipe it's really straightforward. There are non-maker recipes but they don't turn out quite as good in my opinion.

Oh I haven't seen anything that cheap, you got a link?

I wanna make some weird ice cream with stuff in it like Ben & Jerry's style.

Brut fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 31, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Brut posted:

Ours is the VonSheff one but it looks like they're sold out. Best I could find is this one that's smaller: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEDIS-KAIM110CWT05-Ice-Cream-Maker/dp/B07HFFXGLL/

I'd also highly recommend the Ben & Jerry's recipe book. Their sweet cream base is absolutely outstanding: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0894803123/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lamuella posted:

Which is why I never got into Skyrim.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

CobiWann posted:

Which is why I never got into Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98dlue3JmRM

this is why you should get into it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I loved FF8 as a kid, more than 7 or 9, but i haven’t played it in 20 years so idk maybe it does suck

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I loved FF8 as a kid, more than 7 or 9, but i haven’t played it in 20 years so idk maybe it does suck

I just finished it a week ago. I appreciated the story a lot more than I did as a kid. At least, the basic story of a relationship growing between two people romantically and a group of friends as they go through poo poo together. The sorceress stuff is still pretty much nonsense. And snapping the junction system like a twig is really fun.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 31, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think most Finals Fantasy kind of suck and are overrated. Please play Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger and then embrace western rpg superiority

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Western developers Nintendo and Squaresoft

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Seth Rollins posted:

personally, i feel that Square betrayed their fans' trust in them when they released a sequel to Final Fantasy. many people at the time, myself included, were under the assumption that it would be the final piece of fantasy media made, ever. by anyone. if fans of the fantasy genre had known that was false, i, along with many others, would not have rushed to purchase a copy at release.

IIRC, they named it that because the studio was about to go under, so it was going to be their "final" game before bankruptcy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jerusalem posted:

Auron in Final Fantasy X is cool as gently caress and him showing up at the end of the Blitzball tournament marked the start of the game going from a fun diversion to loving awesome for me.

The only major issue I have with Final Fantasy X is that they require you to play a Blitzball match, but that's mostly because I'm terrible at it

Lamuella posted:

I'm currently playing through Final Fantasy V on the PC, which is good and fun but suffers from a severe case of "wait, what was I supposed to be doing?". If it's been more than a week between times I've played it and I'm out on the open world map, I will start the game with no idea where I'm meant to be going and not that much in the way of cues.

That's a problem I encounter with basically any RPG

Brut posted:

I still remember as a kid reading a book about Ben & Jerry and how one of their failed ice cream experiments involved a garlic flavored ice cream and how apparently it somehow ended up with a consistency that allowed it to be bounched like a super ball

jesus WEP posted:

The main issue is that 8 had some major development issues*, the game we got was not the original intention, just what they were able to finish^

*from my recollection Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, and Chrono Cross had all gotten their starts as potential Final Fantasy 8 candidates and had all ended up being their own things for various reasons during development(kinda like how Devil May Cry originated from an earlier concept for Resident Evil 4)

^which ended up being a common issue with Square games of the period, Xenogears and Chrono Cross are probably the most notable examples of this

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

bradzilla posted:

Western developers Nintendo and Squaresoft

I think they're saying those are the only good JRPGs, and uh...it's probably correct.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Brut posted:

I think they're saying those are the only JRPGs worth playing, and uh...it's probably correct.

Glad someone understands, the truth

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lamuella posted:

Home made ice cream has ruined store bought ice cream for me. If you get it right it's so good!

Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun with it lately. Recent flavours include eggnog, Ovaltine, stout, and salted caramel. Making meringues and macarons to use up all the egg whites left over from this NYT recipe.

Brut posted:

Can I do that without buying a bunch of specialized equipment?

I also have a fairly cheap old ice cream maker which works fine, though if I keep doing this a couple times a month maybe I'm due for an upgrade. I'd also recommend using an instant read thermometer as visual inspection of custard can lead to scrambled eggs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We can all agree that the best RPG is Fallout 2 and the best action RPG is Fallout New Vegas

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the playstation final fantasy games were my favorite because i was 11 to 14 years old when playing them. if you don't unlock and use all the stat junctioning, ff8 doesn't feel like it has gameplay progression, because the stat increases of leveling are very small and the main bonus of being a higher level is receiving better items when you win fights, which are best used turning directly into stat junctioning spells. but if if you do all that then the game is mindlessly easy in a way that doesn't feel as satisfying as pumping iron and becoming very strong in the other games. at least to me. thanks a lot for being here, but no thanks at all for ignoring my message asking if anyone was here.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kvantum posted:

IIRC, they named it that because the studio was about to go under, so it was going to be their "final" game before bankruptcy.
This is an urban legend that has been debunked many times over the years. Square just wanted a title with the initials "FF" because "efu-efu" sounds nice in Japanese, and thought Final Fantasy sounded cool.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you want to be generous, sakaguchi probably would have quit making games and done some other job if ff1 was an embarrassment in sales, probably out of annoyance more than anything financial. you should always be generous. another generous thing would be to say that he contributed a lot to pretty much any games at that company after the super nintendo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Play xenoblade, friends

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I didn't play much of Xenoblade but the environments were impressive to look at for the Nintendo Wii. I played the whole game called Xenoblade 2 however, and it's about large cartoon breasts and really nothing else. i wish i didn't buy it. I wonder if it's the most embarrassing rpg to be seen playing, and I'm not sure, because i know there's an rpg game called 'Conception 2' about having children for the Nintendo 3DS. But i don't know anything else about it, because there were too many good games for that system and I filled up all my storage with them

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The World Ends With You is a fantastic RPG

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

another thing I know about RPGs is that if you like the ones where you don't remember what to do after not playing it for a couple days then you should play the breath of fire and breath of Fire 2 games available on Nintendo Switch Online. i forgot where to go.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dangerous Person posted:

The World Ends With You is a fantastic RPG

It's on my list for my 3DS

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Junpei Hyde posted:

Play xenoblade, friends

the first Xenoblade game rules. Everyone should play this. Its got that kind of positional combat that FF12 has along with deep customization and a hearty dose of exploration.

X is supposed to be good but it released on the Virtual Boy of modern consoles. I want it to re-release because there are not enough giant robot games.

2 I haven't played

2 Torna I have and I'm not super impressed by because the combat system isn't as good as the first game. There doesn't seem to be any storyline relation either.

If you're looking for games of the same ilk by the same guy, Tetsuya Takahashi, I really recommend Xenogears(probably have to emulate this) or the Xenosaga(re-released on the DS). Both are fantastic RPGs.

I found an english translation for Super Robot Wars J, which Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers pulls its plot from. This fan translation is way way better than Moon Dwellers. Plus since I'm emulating, I can cheat like a motherfucker.

Also bagged the first 2 Persona games(psp versions) to emulate. I'm looking at the feasibility for emulating PS2 but based on the PSX emulation performance, that may be a bridge too far on my totally not spec'd for heavy computing macbook. emulating GBA and PSP seems to be ok tho.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
hows everyones isolation beards coming along

also the only Robot Wars worth a drat are the ones that involve Razer

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I also really wish The Last Story would get ported to Switch. I never beat it but I don't feel like hooking my Wii or Wii U back up

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lid posted:

I keep thinking about how it'd be cool if we took those old dirt racetracks and converted them into robot battledromes. Sir Killalot the size of a schoolbus would fuckin rule.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

whoop my little rear end tonight

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

coconono posted:

I keep thinking about how it'd be cool if we took those old dirt racetracks and converted them into robot battledromes. Sir Killalot the size of a schoolbus would fuckin rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGymR2TLu_c

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm having trouble keeping track of time lately. I can't internally tell the difference between day to day. I've been working overtime on the weekends to handle all the SNAP apps that have been coming in for Louisiana. It's probably gonna keep getting worse for months before it gets better.

Still at least I have a job - just rough on the psyche.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I superballed off Last Story after the first boss.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lid posted:

I don't shave between October 1 and April 1 every year so pretty much the same as usual so far. Debating whether I should trim tomorrow as the temperature has plunged again.

In other news, my idiot government is spending 8 billion to subsidize a private oil pipeline which no one else thought was a good investment while making massive cuts to public services, including health care, during a pandemic. I hate these people so much. They're announcing more cuts today and I'm concerned one of them might be my job.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I had a haircut scheduled for over a month ago that had to be cancelled and I don't trust anyone but my barber to handle my hair so I'm looking like a male mid-late 2000s SNL cast member rn and it sucks.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Actually, it's very good and this is a very bad opinion

It pains me because I genuinely hate the way GAMING DISCOURSE does the "everything is either great or it's terrible and there's no inbetween" thing, I love playing things and finding and writing about their underappreciated features, I love games that are in some way interesting failures, but man, I really didn't like FFVIII. I don't think anyone is wrong for loving it or anything else period, Daggerfall is my favorite game and it is CLEARLY trash, but this was not my trash.

They put an insanely grindy draw/junction system into the same game they instituted basic level scaling into so their anti-grinding method is self-defeating and that plus the removal of equipment means their character mechanics are so shallow that aside from limit breaks every character is functionally identical, the dungeons in the main quest are all incredibly repetitive and in like four or five cases are repeated identical screens that you often have to repeatedly backtrack through (the loving prison, dude), the plot is inconsistent bullshit even by Final Fantasy standards that hinges on what might actually be the worst plot twist in RPG history, giant main points like NORG get no explanation unless you search out sidequests and even then it's barely anything, the party members outside of said protagonists contribute almost nothing to the plot of the game and are insanely unlikable, the romance between the protagonists felt incredibly forced, aside from Liberi Fatali being one of the best FF songs ever the soundtrack is nothing, everything with Laguna is stupid, the towns are annoying to get around, Ultimecia spells things with the letter K for no reason for like 30 seconds and then forgets it entirely, the final dungeon is inexcusable

Like I play a lot of games and write a lot of bullshit about games and I have never been the "let me rant about how much ____ game sucks" kind of person but FFVIII did something to me, man

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I think now is a good time to replay Alien: Isolation. Seems appropriate, no?