Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Fortis posted:

I was pretty excited that we got to prove how robust our WFH infrastructure was and how valuable Office 365 could be to the relatively new upper management team as we scrambled to accommodate social distancing mandates across the company. Unfortunately, despite being the one who orchestrated and oversaw pretty much the entire aforementioned process, I couldn’t prove to them that my position as a second-in-command IT manager was valuable enough to not lay off about a week later.

At least my and the team’s efforts ultimately helped facilitate them breaking the news to me over a Teams video call. :suicide:

Looks like 2020 is :yotj: for me whether I’m ready or not. Stay safe out there, fellow IT goons.

The first casualty of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

The first casualty of the thread
I got laid off via a Teams call last Tuesday if that counts for anything

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nexxai posted:

I got laid off via a Teams call last Tuesday if that counts for anything

jesus. "finally we have a good excuse to lay people off without looking them in the eye"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weedle posted:

jesus. "finally we have a good excuse to lay people off without looking them in the eye"

I dont think staring at their forehead or nose is any better.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
At least they weren't pre-recorded messages?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Weedle posted:

wasn't this a plot point in Up in the Air?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm about 50/50 dreading/hoping that I get a temp layoff soon. On the other hand, I loving hate this place and need a push to start job hunting. But then this is also probably the worst time possible to do so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mr. Fix It posted:

wasn't this a plot point in Up in the Air?

I enjoyed that film more than a lot of people who reviewed it I think

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks Ants posted:

Likewise. I stopped listening to Mark Kermode because he claimed the ending was wrong when it matched perfectly with the whole drat plot.

I've just realised that may be because the typical movie reviewer is a shut-in and doesn't get the whole 'living on the road' set-up.

Of course: in the 'aging badly' theme, a plot point was that you can't fire people via live video chat as it is too impersonal and heartless. Then, not long after that, multiple large companies fired their staff via SMS text messages.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That or just the huge increase in jobs which are just 'you don't have work unless we text you the day before' so there's not even really a concept of having to fire someone

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks Ants posted:

That or just the huge increase in jobs which are just 'you don't have work unless we text you the day before' so there's not even really a concept of having to fire someone

True dat.

A lot of films where the plot point was being stuck in a dead-end job don't work so well because these days, the viewer is jealous of the characters having such stable jobs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Office Space remains one of the most accurate portrayals of generic corporate work I think

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Attestant posted:

I'm about 50/50 dreading/hoping that I get a temp layoff soon. On the other hand, I loving hate this place and need a push to start job hunting. But then this is also probably the worst time possible to do so.
Much the same. We're getting zero client work in so suddenly I am a wordpress dev trying to bodge together a new site for us.

ETA: Up In The Air looks weirdly great from the wikipedia plot summary. Added to the list of things to watch.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 31, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Once again, can’t promise anything, but my company is inexplicably still hiring and I can point you at any gigs I know of and put in a good word with recruiting. Also, I have a feeling our location strategy of, “hire only in vaguely defined ‘hub’ locations and go to the office at least 3 out of 5 days,” is going to be real hard for management to enforce now that we’re 100% remote, globally.

I cannot, however, guarantee you’ll get a computer on day one at this point. In any case, PM me if you’re interested.

Thanks Ants posted:

Same. It was drat decent. I don’t get the critical hate

Though I did have a moment just now when I confused it with View from the Top, which is awful but charming, and gave me the perennially funny when on the phones, “You put the wrong em-PHA-sis on the wrong syl-LA-ble.” Which pairs nicely with one of my co-workers seething, “L as in LITERATE” one night while overhearing another coworker struggle to find an L-word her caller understood while spelling something.

Which could lead to Scott Pilgrim riffing, but I’m not sure if a movie quotes derail is what this thread needs...

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Weedle posted:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shut up Meg posted:

True dat.

A lot of films where the plot point was being stuck in a dead-end job don't work so well because these days, the viewer is jealous of the characters having such stable jobs.

There is also the concept of the 'orphaned employee', where someone's boss and/or team is fired and one person is left who is still on the books as employed, but nobody knows who they are and what they do. Really interesting concept, and is apparently something that does occasionally happen in large corporations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i liked up in the air when i saw it ~10 years ago, but i also liked a lot of insanely bad movies at the time so idk how well it holds up. vera farmiga rules though

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It was better than Michael Clayton, which was also not as bad as people make out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

u brexit ukip it posted:

There is also the concept of the 'orphaned employee', where someone's boss and/or team is fired and one person is left who is still on the books as employed, but nobody knows who they are and what they do. Really interesting concept, and is apparently something that does occasionally happen in large corporations.
A friend of a friend was that orphan at a multinational a while back. Somehow he ended up being a team lead with no team in a department that didn't exist anymore, on pre-crash wages. So he just sort of wandered around the building with a coffee mug talking to people. Lasted about ten years before he was let go, and it turned out that morale took a huge hit and people were actually relying on him to know who to talk to for the Johnson contract or whatever. They hired him back on into the same role with a bonus and a promotion in the end :v:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good free phishing test for SMBs?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What's a good free phishing test for SMBs?

Post your contact list to pastebin

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like GoPhish.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We're officially WFH through May 5 as of an email from the CEO this morning.

Additionally, were set to close out our biggest month in history, so that's fun.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There’s a sorta orphan employee on my team...well, pre-re-re-org, so now she’s someone else’s team’s problem. She went on LTD a while back for a serious health issue, like needs an organ transplant bad. Then we re-orged. She stayed on the payroll, but our new boss had never met her and still has never talked to her.

At some point, she moved across the continent to South Carolina. No one has heard from her in years. HR pinged me 2 years ago for her cell number because they needed to get ahold of her for something, and presumably it worked cuz they didn’t bother anyone else for contact info.

The upside is that she’s an extra headcount who gets no merit bonus, so that extra couple of percentage points gets spread out over the rest of the team.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arquinsiel posted:

A friend of a friend was that orphan at a multinational a while back. Somehow he ended up being a team lead with no team in a department that didn't exist anymore, on pre-crash wages. So he just sort of wandered around the building with a coffee mug talking to people. Lasted about ten years before he was let go, and it turned out that morale took a huge hit and people were actually relying on him to know who to talk to for the Johnson contract or whatever. They hired him back on into the same role with a bonus and a promotion in the end :v:

I can only dream of a day when I become this person.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

That is magical

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Arquinsiel posted:

I would watch this movie.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was kind of an orphan for almost a year, but March they redrew the org chart so I got assigned to a team.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Obligatory:

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I am ashamed to say that I've somehow never read this story before :v:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

I read it every time it's posted. Dude was living the dream. :allears:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wibla posted:

Same, that's my first read. I thought it might be the story of the guy with two titles and two salaries at the same company.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jaded Burnout posted:

It was better than Michael Clayton, which was also not as bad as people make out.
where are folks seeing bad reviews for Up in the Air and Michael Clayton? Metacritic (imperfect metric, i know), seems to think they were universally acclaimed. more importantly, i liked them both a lot :3

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

quote:

It was like I had asked him if he had stairs in his house
:allears: gets me every time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Same, that's my first read. I thought it might be the story of the guy with two titles and two salaries at the same company.

You can't say that and not share that story. I haven't heard that one :ohdear:.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's something that's been referred to at these forums but I'm not sure I've read the actual story either, just people talking about it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I had never read this before but it's amazing. I'm surprised there's no SAclopedia entry or goldmined thread about this. SA had some awesome personal stories back in the old days. I love reading poo poo like this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A ticket came in.

"Help Skype! Meeting tonight!"
No contact info, so I respond asking him to call me or provide contact info.
I reach out to a couple other people that might be able to get in touch with him.
No replies. No problem, the meeting isn't for another 12 hours so...

Half an our later our boss sends a blast to the team, "SOMEONE HELP <SUPER IMPORTANT PERSON> RIGHT NOW THEY HAVE A MEETING IN 2 MINUTES AND CAN'T JOIN THE CALL"

:smugjones:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

cage-free egghead posted:

I had never read this before but it's amazing. I'm surprised there's no SAclopedia entry or goldmined thread about this. SA had some awesome personal stories back in the old days. I love reading poo poo like this.

The anti-fun police have been purging the SAcolpedia of anything funny or anti-whateverthefuck for years now. Tons of old drama and proto-memes died at the callous hand of some 2015 regdate dude.