Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Mr. Humalong posted:

I have all the coaches I need for now but I can get you two in on the next one I run (which will probably be immediately after this one finishes).

presigned as a coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Also put me down as a coach replacement for the current game, teach the newbies how mafia really works :v:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I think I have had one signup. They joined the discord but did not post.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr. Humalong posted:

I think I have had one signup. They joined the discord but did not post.

They'll fit right in

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hi all! For about 15 years I've been running an ARG with mechanics similar to werewolf or mafia. It's been super vanilla.

With the isolation, I feel like it's a good time to run one to give people something to do (tear each other apart).

My question is this: is there a mafia setup with no vanilla players? My goal is to make it superhero-themed, so if there is not a reliable no-vanilla setup, is there some token "power" I can give the vanilla people, so they don't feel left out?

Thanks, I've been reading lists of popular setups and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Edit: Usually 15-20 players, but could be up to 30 because of the isolation.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 31, 2020

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Back ups for PRs are essentially vanilla until a condition that activates back up triggers like the primary role dying most often.

Alternatively, give negative utility roles. Powers that could be alighment null with limited usefulness.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
You could also have people powerful while the other is living, etc.

Lots of ways to retain a modicum of balance in a power heavy game without skewing the sense of it.

Then of course, ultimate apocalypse, everyone is on that BC/BD energy and everyone is just super stronk. Role madness.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hi all! For about 15 years I've been running an ARG with mechanics similar to werewolf or mafia. It's been super vanilla.

With the isolation, I feel like it's a good time to run one to give people something to do (tear each other apart).

My question is this: is there a mafia setup with no vanilla players? My goal is to make it superhero-themed, so if there is not a reliable no-vanilla setup, is there some token "power" I can give the vanilla people, so they don't feel left out?

Thanks, I've been reading lists of popular setups and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Role madness is definitely a thing! But if you want to work off of a setup that’s already been tested, making all the Vanilla Town and scum be compulsive visitors or messengers is what I would consider as options. Or start creating unconfirmed masonries, people love those.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Just give the scum a one-shot death miller ability and congratulations, your role madness game is balanced! :toot:

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
I'm trying to gauge interest in running a new Harry Potter themed game. I have it all ready and will co run it with Max.

This game is the follow up to:
Harry Potter and the Circus of Chaos (Mafia wiki description of the game)
Harry Potter and the Blood of Heroes (Where at final 4 the town got the final mafia member to scum claim in the thread.)
Harry Potter and the Mask of Gryffindor (An exciting ending but a lot of unfortunate “windmill chasing”)

These game have been kind of wild and fun to run, and I hope this new one is as well.

It's to be a large game with 27 players. I know that there are multiple games in start ups right now, so I would be wanting to running it in at least a week from now if not more depending on interest and so on. Please let me or Max know if you would want to play.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Token Female posted:

I'm trying to gauge interest in running a new Harry Potter themed game. I have it all ready and will co run it with Max.

Harry Potter and the Blood of Heroes (Where at final 4 the town got the final mafia member to scum claim in the thread.)
Harry Potter and the Mask of Gryffindor (An exciting ending but a lot of unfortunate “windmill chasing”)

These game have been kind of wild and fun to run, and I hope this new one is as well.

It's to be a large game with 27 players. I know that there are multiple games in start ups right now, so I would be wanting to running it in at least a week from now if not more depending on interest and so on. Please let me or Max know if you would want to play.

I am in and would like to presign.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Drunk Nerds posted:

I use masons for that. It doesn't throw the balance off at all, but it gives pure vanilla players a little something to do

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Token Female posted:

Presign as long as I’m dead in Yami’s game

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Token Female posted:

I'm in assuming I'm dead in at least 1 of my games.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Token Female posted:

I just reread the end of HP1 and now I'm full of anxiety again because I was 100% correct but WR? messed it up :argh:
Also that was 13 years ago what the hell

I'm in :hellyeah:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Token Female posted:

In.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Token Female posted:

gonna PM Harold Krell and let him know

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Yo hum not trying to step on your toes answering questions about your game just thought it'd be a good opportunity to bump

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Token Female posted:

Yeah I’m game

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Squiggly posted:

Yo hum not trying to step on your toes answering questions about your game just thought it'd be a good opportunity to bump

no it's fine! anything to keep it on the front page

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mr. Humalong posted:

gonna PM Harold Krell and let him know

Don't you dare.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Jose Valasquez posted:

I just reread the end of HP1 and now I'm full of anxiety again because I was 100% correct but WR? messed it up :argh:
Also that was 13 years ago what the hell

I'm in :hellyeah:

Still my favorite game. I was 17 when that game started... 30 now.

"Ecco was siblings with Deadbeat Dad (the Patil twins). The two would have won the game if they were the last ones standing; Ecco was a cop, while DD was a mafia doctor. DD told Ecco all the other scum at the start of the game, and the two worked together to keep the balance of the game in their favor, coordinating the mafia's night actions and lynching the right players in-thread. However, in a freak roleclaim made by another third party, the mafia, after many of their own were lynched by the Ecco-DD team, realized DD was siblings with Ecco. One of them (GZ) fullclaimed mafia out of anger, in an attempt to get Ecco lynched. When that failed, the mafia then made DD nightkill himself, taking Ecco down as well (since they were siblings)."

Not mentioned: Dragnix yelling at me to apologize for lying to the fellow scumteam for being a traitor. :cry:

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 1, 2020

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Dark Hospital III has ended in a perfect scum victory!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Alasdair (town, Snape) thought that Xythar (town) was Dumbledore. He decided it would be funny to have Snape kill Dumbledore, and used a one-shot vig-kill on Xythar. He then lied about it in-thread. The lie also ended up causing the lynchings of two town players, and was not revealed as a lie until late in the game. The town found it significantly less funny than Alasdair did. This is the start of the phrase "Alasdair lied, townies died." Alasdair was later declared a "loving douche" by chellesandcheese for inappropriate behavior in the thread and mod killed.

Tired Daemon (SK, Vernon Dursley) decided that the fake claim given to him by the mods (Fleur) was no fun, and so decided to give himself a post restriction and post in character as Mr. Filch. Trouble was Mr. Filch was also in the game, played by Stabbing Spork. Stabbing Spork was lynched first, and TD was lynched the next day.

Like come on, how is this not the best game ever still 13 years later

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Token Female posted:

I would play this

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Token Female posted:

Yessssssss

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
skipped 400 posts wassup

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Bernstrike posted:

skipped 400 posts wassup

I'm dying

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tommu posted:

I'm dying

hi david im grampa

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He's not nearly anime enough to be David.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Need just 1 more to start Cookfia. (Up to 3 if you want to bring friends)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Token Female posted:

Presign.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Hi if you are a coach for Social Distancing Mafia the game has all 9 players signed up so it would be great if you could join the discord.

Not to name names but known discord hater Opop beat you to getting into the server.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Another excellent game of mafia successfully navigated.

Is there any game open :thunk:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I will open game soon.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Here Toal!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Somberbrero posted:

I will open game soon.

I am looking forward to it. Your games are really good!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
mafia is back baby

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Dick Bastardly posted:

mafia is back baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

I use masons for that. It doesn't throw the balance off at all, but it gives pure vanilla players a little something to do

Somberbrero posted:

Just give the scum a one-shot death miller ability and congratulations, your role madness game is balanced! :toot:

Mr. Humalong posted:

Role madness is definitely a thing! But if you want to work off of a setup that’s already been tested, making all the Vanilla Town and scum be compulsive visitors or messengers is what I would consider as options. Or start creating unconfirmed masonries, people love those.

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Back ups for PRs are essentially vanilla until a condition that activates back up triggers like the primary role dying most often.

Alternatively, give negative utility roles. Powers that could be alighment null with limited usefulness.

These give me a lot to work with, thanks!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

You could also have people powerful while the other is living, etc.

Lots of ways to retain a modicum of balance in a power heavy game without skewing the sense of it.

Then of course, ultimate apocalypse, everyone is on that BC/BD energy and everyone is just super stronk. Role madness.