Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

josh04 posted:

Some good news. Was hearing unconfirmed reports that he was passing it back and forth.

"Two meter, you"

e: horrible snipe - paying the catte tax.
Here are my coworkers.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

You're welcome.

Well thanks for wishing me and almost everyone I know and love dead, you oval office.

minema
May 31, 2011

Surprise T Rex posted:

"Two meter, you"

I made this joke a few days ago to my husband and he told me it's my fault mr chuckle now has coronas :(

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I haven't left the house in, going on 5 days. I'm more worried about infecting other people and am now very glad that my parents live out in the sticks and my little brother lives close to them and can help with shopping and stuff if necessary.

Lot less people outside today as well, at least thats what I see from my window.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Here are my coworkers.

Well don't leave us hanging - did the cat open the file in the default program or choose a different one?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'd always been terrified of the idea of going under but I had general anaesthetic for the first time a few months ago and it wasn't too bad. Maybe it's because I knew the procedure wasn't going to be a tricky one and I was pretty much guaranteed to wake up. I'll have to post that story sometime. Always use a flared base.

I've had it twice, tonsils and gall bladder. Both times I asked if they had started yet when I woke up in recovery.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Anaesthetic is great. I can usually count to about 11 before the edges of the room start to trail as they move like the windows of an xp machine that's currently frozen.

getting put under was a very pleasurable experience for me. for a few weeks after i kept getting the itchy feeling of wanting to be anesthetized again. i got a combo of an injection which made my arm feel cold and a mask. it was very weird as i thought i'd be scared. i also woke up 2 hours later feeling refreshed and great.

i highly recommend it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Some good virus related news: Since I'm now spending all waking hours at home and am no longer spending money on pubs/restaurants/travel to work I figured I can avoid saving any money by buying a new graphics card. I will now be able to play Rome 2 with the little mans being something other than vaguely rounded blobs of colour. While I'm waiting for it to arrive I've reinstalled Dishonoured and will be engaging in a maximum plague/death run through so I'll be totally prepared for the next few weeks.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Support from China in these difficult times

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1244645672655020032?s=20

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Anyone else using the goodsam app for volunteering? I dunno how it really works. I'm 'on duty' but not had anything. It's a bit annoying because the app is clearly designed for people to respond to medical emergencies and not to send out volunteering tasks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You're probably better off directly finding volunteering schemes for your area, each community is pretty much rolling their own through Facebook and WhatsApp and so on.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You're probably better off directly finding volunteering schemes for your area, each community is pretty much rolling their own through Facebook and WhatsApp and so on.

i was hoping to do some courier stuff for the nhs/pharmacies

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the many eggs nearly got him at the end there, he didn't look happy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't wanna sound like an arse but is there some way to disable all the crap that appears under people's avatars without disabling the avatars themselves

It's fine in the app but on my desktop my middle finger is getting tired of mousewheeling

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't wanna sound like an arse but is there some way to disable all the crap that appears under people's avatars without disabling the avatars themselves

It's fine in the app but on my desktop my middle finger is getting tired of mousewheeling
AdBlock Pro or similar allows you to select an element to block - do that on the gang tags. Seems to work here, at least.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Virus good news:

Went to Waitrose yesterday and there were so many Higgledy Piggledy pies in the 'reduced' section I was able to afford to buy a couple.
Usually beyond my budget to spend £3.49 on two mouthfuls of pie, tasty as they are. (Ed: they were reduced to £1.19 each).

Essential to buy a tasty pie for physical health? No. Essential to buy a tasty pie for mental health? Yes.

(Our waitrose has marked out the car park with a long queue of 2m red paint marks and doing a strict one in one out policy with signs up imploring people to come on their own not bring the whole household).

Our Waitrose had a spate of a few weeks where they stopped having a 'reduced' section but just had reduced items in their regular places. But I don't go looking necessarily for a reduced item in a place where things are normally too expensive eg their sandwiches, but browse the reduced section for things that I don't normally consider but will try if reduced. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago they brought the section back so I guess enough people might have had a moan at them.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 31, 2020

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Will I ever get flour again god drat. Most things are back in stock but flour remains missing everywhere I look. Just want my weekend sourdough loaf
Tesco was weird, staff are directing everyone to queue just down one side of the store and then waving them over when a till is free.
In other news, furloughed from tomorrow so I guess I'd better find something productive to do once the novelty/chocolate/novelty chocolate runs out.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I managed to swipe a bag of wholemeal bread flour and a bag of 00 pasta-making flour this morning, I was ecstatic.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i couldn't find condensed milk yesterday. I made my own with eggs+sugar+flour and it worked fine.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

CGI Stardust posted:

AdBlock Pro or similar allows you to select an element to block - do that on the gang tags. Seems to work here, at least.

I'm on the app so can't check, but if the gangtags are all in a specific directory /gangs/ you could also block that address on an adblocker and do them all.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah i've had general anaesthetic a couple times and its fine, i kinda enjoy trying to see how long I can stay awake. about as long as it takes to start tasting the anaesthetic i found.

anyway in cheery news the gov didn't just start underestimating deaths recently, they've been doing it from the start too

https://www.ft.com/content/44f4301e-b5f3-4434-a086-9a822ea72a71

Its the same in France and Italy, they counts Corona deaths in hospitals, not those who dies in their homes or old folks home.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Also cooked an assload of empanadas yesterday (Carnte picane and Spinach fillings if you must know). We've now got 16 or so in the freezer along with an equal number of pre-cut pastry discs to make more when desired. On the downside I'm in the same boat flour and egg wise so this might be the last bit of baking for a while. I don't really get it though, pasta I understand but has everyone in the world decided to try their hand at baking all of a sudden? Did everyone watch the same Jamie Oliver 'how to make pasta at home' video and figure they've got the perfect solution to the pasta shelves being all sold out?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

hemale in pain posted:

i couldn't find condensed milk yesterday. I made my own with eggs+sugar+flour and it worked fine.

I had a can of that a couple of days ago. It's always something I've done when I've had a cold or similar.
I always had this (totally unscientifically proven and based on nothing but my desire for an excuse to take a can of condensed milk) idea that it would make viruses explode and die.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

josh04 posted:

Some good news. Was hearing unconfirmed reports that he was passing it back and forth.

This would be funnier if Barry wasn't dead. :(

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just found out that my company will have to furlough a large amount of employees, and that they're covering the last 20% of pay, so no one loses money which is pretty good.

What isn't so good is that I'm not one of them. It's the DREAM god dammit.

also yes I am still very lucky to be able to work from home and get paid during this time, but still.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had a can of that a couple of days ago. It's always something I've done when I've had a cold or similar.
I always had this (totally unscientifically proven and based on nothing but my desire for an excuse to take a can of condensed milk) idea that it would make viruses explode and die.

did you drink it? i made caramal shortbread

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm on the app so can't check, but if the gangtags are all in a specific directory /gangs/ you could also block that address on an adblocker and do them all.

What does a gang tag look like? How do I know if I've got one?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

hemale in pain posted:

No, I stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours (it doesn't freeze, just chills) and then eat it off a spoon. Then I put it in the fridge for a bit and then take it out and spoon some more. Repeat over an hour or so until can empty.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What does a gang tag look like? How do I know if I've got one?

Like the 'Jammy Bastards' one on mine. You don't have one.

They're in the directory https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No, I stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours (it doesn't freeze, just chills) and then eat it off a spoon. Then I put it in the fridge for a bit and then take it out and spoon some more. Repeat over an hour or so until can empty.

that actually sounds okay

my baking is getting a bit better but it's depressing finding out how much sugar is in cake. it's about 5 billion calories.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That is somewhat horrifying and I think the result will you exploding before the virii. Although home-made iced coffee made with shedloads of instant coffee, condensed milk and ice is an amazingly tasty way to get diabetes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aphex- posted:

This was shamefully overlooked a few pages ago. The whole original thread is wonderful.

Didn't take long for the little buggers to come and have a nose round :3:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

hemale in pain posted:

Condensed milk is one of the key ingredients for my fudge, so I always have multiple cans knocking around. You have no idea the level of self control needed not to break into them.. me, I love to pour it over crushed ice to make a kind of creamy slushie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can buy tins of caramel and as an adult there is nothing but your own self control stopping you from buying one and pouring it all into your gullet.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeet? In my day it was alley oop.

Kids these days are infected with individualism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/martinslewis/status/1244931531807825920?s=21

Could be useful for you or someone you know.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

You can buy tins of caramel and as an adult there is nothing but your own self control stopping you from buying one and pouring it all into your gullet.

I tried that (where they already caramelize the condensed milk) but I didn't find it as good as the actual condensed milk uncaramelized.

MrNemo posted:

That is somewhat horrifying and I think the result will you exploding before the virii. Although home-made iced coffee made with shedloads of instant coffee, condensed milk and ice is an amazingly tasty way to get diabetes.

The thing that always gives me what I call 'the sugar shakes' is too much bread, cereal or pizza type food: if I eat that and eat nothing else, then after about 6 hours I start to feel all shaky and in dire need of a sit down so if I go on a long walk I always have a bag with a handful of sugar cubes in my pocket (and remarkably usually come back with the bag intact). I have had to go and sit down in a cafe before now and ask them for sugar. Condensed milk does not have that effect on me!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1244985284762185729

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Kids these days are infected with individualism.
Also SARS-CoV-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If anyones stuck for summat to read, Solitude by Anthony Storr was very good last time I read it: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Solitude/Anthony-Storr/9780743280747

(its about being alone ;) )