Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like I was right about the embargo dropping monday.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/30/21197761/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-review-gaming-laptop-specs-features-price

I'm sure more reviews will show up as the day progresses.

Looking pretty good, especially the battery for a gaming notebook.

quote:

I never thought I’d be saying this about a gaming laptop, but the battery life is also very good. During my normal workday of swapping between a dozen Chrome tabs, running Slack, and occasionally streaming Netflix or Spotify at 50 percent brightness and a balanced battery profile, I got around 8 hours and 50 minutes of juice. That means the G14 can make it through a workday on battery and can handle a long bus or plane ride as well. The device took 41 minutes to charge up to 60 percent on Asus’ plug and 53 minutes to do the same via USB-C.

The review also seems too imply, without outright stating, that the $1449 model DOES have the 120hz screen.

quote:

(You can get the same model with a Ryzen 7 4800HS, 16GB RAM, 512GB storage, and the less-powerful GTX 1660 TI Max-Q for $1,299, or go down to 8GB of RAM, a GTX 1650, and a 60Hz screen for $1,049.)

So, it seems like the configs at launch shake out to be:

4900HS 1tb/16gb 2060 Max-q 120hz $1449
4800HS 512gb/16gb GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q 120hz $1299
4800HS 512gb/8gb GTX 1650 60hz $1049

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

G14 review from Jarrodstech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0RfkzZLE4

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space
I need a laptop suggestion for playing games with friends that I can't see because of social distancing. Budget is around $1000 Canadian, but could go up to maybe $1200 if it's really worthwhile.

- Probably won't be playing any AAA games on the highest settings, since I play more games on PS4 and plan on getting one of the new consoles when they're out, but being able to run newer games and stuff that comes out over the next couple of years reasonably well would be nice.
- Day-to-day I'll be playing more indie and older games, as well as whatever MMO I'm trapped in at any given time.
- I'd like something with decent build quality, that won't just fall apart or have hinges start breaking in 2 years. I don't plan to be too hard on it or really travel with it.
- 13" or 15" are both good.
- Battery life isn't super important, it would be good to have a few hours of web browsing/general office stuff while unplugged.

I posted on the Reddit suggest-a-laptop yesterday, and a couple of people suggested the MSI GF63 (https://www.newegg.ca/black-msi-gf-series-gf63-9sc-060ca-thin-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155210), which seems like a pretty good deal at that price point right now. Looking back through a few pages in this thread though, I didn't see any mentions of MSI laptops. Since I trust goons more than a subreddit full of affiliate links, I'd appreciate some thoughts on that machine since I was fairly close to ordering it last night before remembering this thread existed.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

Looks like I was right about the embargo dropping monday.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/30/21197761/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-review-gaming-laptop-specs-features-price

I'm sure more reviews will show up as the day progresses.

Looking pretty good, especially the battery for a gaming notebook.

The review also seems too imply, without outright stating, that the $1449 model DOES have the 120hz screen.

So, it seems like the configs at launch shake out to be:

4900HS 1tb/16gb 2060 Max-q 120hz $1449
4800HS 512gb/16gb GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q 120hz $1299
4800HS 512gb/8gb GTX 1650 60hz $1049

If the cooling is good, that pricing is way lower than I expected given the form factor. I was gonna try to hold out for a 10/7nm gpu update but that's mighty tempting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VorpalFish posted:

If the cooling is good, that pricing is way lower than I expected given the form factor. I was gonna try to hold out for a 10/7nm gpu update but that's mighty tempting.

Software isn't able to tell yet if it thermally throttles, but power consumption tests on the Jarrodstech video shows the CPU and GPU pulling their full TDP (35w and 65w respectively) on anything other than silent fan mode while stressed. So, it seems like you are able to run full tilt on this CPU/GPU combo.

It looks like the built in fan modes allow it to get toasty, but you can put a manual max fan curve in that brings temps down quite a bit.

One thing I'm curious to know about is if the thing will run full performance when connected to 65w USB-C power. I know that it's not enough juice to keep the battery from draining under full load with that power, but it makes all the difference in how portable it is.

I have a USB-C 65watt charger right by my couch and I would love to know if I could game for like an hour in front of the TV at full performance plugged in there or if I have to move the barrel plug charger around the house.

One thing to note on configurations. Asus says a max of 32gb of ram, but it's looking like most configurations will have a max of 24gb since the samples that are out for review have 8gb soldered on to the motherboard (and has an additional 8gb as a user replacable module.) This matches the best buy page as well which says max 24gb which I was wondering about. Wifi is soldered as well if that's something that you would care about.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zephyrus-G14-Ryzen-9-GeForce-RTX-2060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review-Kicking-Core-i9-to-the-Curb.457817.0.html

Everything looks pretty great except for the fan noise and battery life, although the latter seems to be in direct contradiction to The Verge review. I can't wait for Nvidia's new generation of GPUs because it seems to be the factor holding the G14 back the most.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, that says the wifi module is removable where Jarrodstech said it wasn't.

Maybe he just assumed it was soldered since it was hidden under the SSD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dave2d review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTO7959ySss

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PCIe **2** M.2?!?!?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Austin Evans and Hardware Canucks also love it. Looks like a winner. I think the 1660ti is plenty for me but I want that faster processor.

Joker
Aug 6, 2001
I want to see a 17inch with the new Ryzens and at least a 2060. I almost jumped on the EVOO 17 inch when it was on sale for $999 but wanted to wait and see how these new chips performed. I’ll be keeping my eye out over the next few weeks/months on other options. Would really like a 17in over a 15in screen if possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

i want it, but I don't need it.

But I do want it.

I'm trying to justify mobile VR enough to buy it to run my Quest.

I also really want to see more 1660ti / RTX2060 back to back comparisons to really see what the performance difference is or if it's all just about ray tracing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'll buy one when I see a version with the 1660Ti and the WQHD screen in black. The preorders in the UK seem to only have the WQHD in Black with the 2060 and I'd rather save the money. It's nice to know it doesn't have any massive glaring flaws though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, it kinda does. It looks like the response time of the display is pretty lovely which negates a lot of the high refresh rate advantage. I wonder if the WQHD screen fares better in that regard.

If the pixel response time for the WQHD screen is better, it may be a nicer overall experience to cap framerate at 60hz and enjoy the higher resolution in games.

The Lone Gunman
Dec 9, 2010
I could use some help in choosing a laptop to replace my dearly departed ASUS G75VW. It went through one motherboard but the hefty beast lasted me from 2012 till this Sunday (with the motherboard dying in early 2016) and while I think I could have been repaired before I tried my hand at being a computer technician, I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm giving myself a pretty generous budget of 2K, but I'm really looking for something about $1500-1800 and then maxing out the warranty and other options.

- While I don't play a lot of AAA games, it mostly was because I knew my laptop couldn't reliably handle them so having that option will be nice. I'm thinking whatever I get will probably have a GTX 1660.
- I'm kinda paranoid about heat and build quality, and I want whatever I get to have some longevity.
- I'm drawn towards a big screen because I'm trying to practice digital painting.
- I'm not too concerned with portability or battery life. The ASUS's battery simply stopped charging at some point and became a desktop, so any portability at all is an improvement at this point.

Like Black Hole Bowser, I also went to Reddit's Suggest a Laptop (https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/comments/fpiqsd/im_looking_for_a_reliable_gaming_and_drawing/) and got thrown into a Eluktronics hole which I have yet to climb out of, especially since they offer advanced thermal paste options if I ordered from their website and their stuff seems to get good reviews from everyone. Whatever I get (torn between the Mech 17, the Mag 15, or the Max 17), I'm thinking of having a 1660 card and the liquid metal thermal paste option to run cool and cheap(ish), but also like Black Hole Bowser, I wanted to get the opinion of this thread before opening up my wallet. In particular, I'm wondering if there's any opinions on some of the alternatives they mentioned, including a Lenovo Ideapad Legion Y740-17, the Acer Triton 500, and an HP Omen.

Also, that ASUS Zephyrus G14. Oh man that looks good. Smaller screen, but that's what external monitors are for, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

After seeing what the Ryzen 4000 series can do, it is seriously difficult recommending any 9th gen Intel product at this point in time unless it's at a hefty discount.

The G14 is even using an HS processor, there will be H processors in larger chassis in the coming months and they will be even more capable.

Like, some of those reviewers were getting nearly double the battery life of the Razer Blade 15 with the G14 while still outperforming the i7s in them by a healthy margin in all but a very few edge cases.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Lone Gunman posted:

I could use some help in choosing a laptop to replace my dearly departed ASUS G75VW. It went through one motherboard but the hefty beast lasted me from 2012 till this Sunday (with the motherboard dying in early 2016) and while I think I could have been repaired before I tried my hand at being a computer technician, I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm giving myself a pretty generous budget of 2K, but I'm really looking for something about $1500-1800 and then maxing out the warranty and other options.

- While I don't play a lot of AAA games, it mostly was because I knew my laptop couldn't reliably handle them so having that option will be nice. I'm thinking whatever I get will probably have a GTX 1660.
- I'm kinda paranoid about heat and build quality, and I want whatever I get to have some longevity.
- I'm drawn towards a big screen because I'm trying to practice digital painting.
- I'm not too concerned with portability or battery life. The ASUS's battery simply stopped charging at some point and became a desktop, so any portability at all is an improvement at this point.

Like Black Hole Bowser, I also went to Reddit's Suggest a Laptop (https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/comments/fpiqsd/im_looking_for_a_reliable_gaming_and_drawing/) and got thrown into a Eluktronics hole which I have yet to climb out of, especially since they offer advanced thermal paste options if I ordered from their website and their stuff seems to get good reviews from everyone. Whatever I get (torn between the Mech 17, the Mag 15, or the Max 17), I'm thinking of having a 1660 card and the liquid metal thermal paste option to run cool and cheap(ish), but also like Black Hole Bowser, I wanted to get the opinion of this thread before opening up my wallet. In particular, I'm wondering if there's any opinions on some of the alternatives they mentioned, including a Lenovo Ideapad Legion Y740-17, the Acer Triton 500, and an HP Omen.

Also, that ASUS Zephyrus G14. Oh man that looks good. Smaller screen, but that's what external monitors are for, right?

You know, to be honest, I have to share my own experiences here. I used to always try to get the most bang for my buck and go for whatever laptop had the best configuration of components for the least amount of money. A *lot* of people online look at laptops solely in these terms, and to be perfectly frank, it is disingenuous and not entirely true. I think a lot of the people who view laptops in those terms are people who are much more used to configuring desktop PCs, and more used to following the rules of desktop PCs as gospel. Laptops are just very different, and you have lot of different factors to consider.

The thing is, a laptop is really not a desktop. It does not come down purely to the potential strength of the CPU/GPU/memory/etc.... With laptops, far moreso than desktop PCs, there are a number of far less definable or tangible traits that effect performance and do not get written down in the specifications.. A great deal relies on the build quality - the talent of the engineers putting it together, the quality of the components used in the construction of it, the amount of testing and troubleshooting that is done... There are nigh-endless dozens of ways to cut costs and cut corners. After a couple bad experiences with third-party retailers - and rebranded Clevo laptops (like those Eluktronics models which I would DEFINITELY AVOID if I were you) most especially - I swore to never fall for the "less expensive laptop with great components" trap again.

My dad owned a digital printing business for several decades, and in the 90s and 00s he bought his desktop computers from the business division of Dell, and always had a very good relationship with them. Based in part on that, I decided to give Alienware a try in 2015, after the aforementioned bad experiences with Clevo laptops (and an Asus that only lasted 20 months or 2 months past the warranty date) I was ready to try paying slightly more for a purported trusted band with good build quality.

And as skeptical as I was, I was deeply impressed. My Alienware from 2015 still works, and I just bought an Area 51m that I am deeply happy with. I don't want to even think about ever loving with another rebranded Clevo again. I would REALLY highly recommend you take a look at THIS Alienware M17 R1 for a drat good modern gaming laptop between $1k and $2k if I were buying one, but I really am a bit of an Alienwareware evangelist.... Anyway, It is sure as HELL what I would buy in your situation. I can't stress how fantastic the quality is, overall, and just how easy and hassle-free their machines are. Even if you don't go for Alienware, please stay away from Clevo rebuilds like that Eluctronics. Some may have had acceptable experiences with them, but unless you are *really* good at troubleshooting and fixing potential issues and problems deep inside laptops, I really wouldn't risk it.

Probably though looking for an AMD notebook might be the way to go. All things considered, I'd seriously think about going in that direction. But again, it is not entirely about pure performance by ANY means.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kaworu posted:

in 2015,

from 2015

I agree with you that laptops are not desktops and build quality matters a lot more

That said, laptops now make up the majority of consumer computer purchases, and since 2015 average build quality has come up a LOT. What was considered top of the line in 2015 is now about average. Apple still has the best overall build quality laptops, but the more premium lines from all manufacturers are catching up quickly.

That, that said, the $400 15" laptops at best buy are still garbage tier, some things never change

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Also, there are quite a few Alienware Area-51m owners who are deeply disappointed with the device, including myself. Maybe they fixed more recent revisions of it? I have repasted mine multiple times and even had Dell replace the GPU and it still throttles to 300MHz after a few minutes of gaming.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'd 100% take one of the popular ODM chassis' (Clevo, Tongfang (+Intel)) over an Alienware M15/17. Then at least my CPU doesn't hit 100c and throttle hard within 25 seconds of launching Battlefield V, and then the Dell tech telling me it's operating 'within specs' so they won't replace the sink with one that actually makes decent contact with the die (a lottery*).

*In fairness, sink contact and especially a decent paste job is a lottery for every laptop, but Alienware's track record for this over the last 3-ish generations (going back to the 6700HQ) is extremely spotty.

And I'd absolutely take a Clevo P775 / 870 series desktop replacement over the Area 51-M because 1) the heatsink actually cools the GPU VRMs so they don't go *POP*, 2) the GPUs aren't set to throttle hard at 75c, 3) I have easy access to components unlike the Area 51-M with its overcomplicated ribcage, and 4) more esoterically, I have access to a much better bios with far more control over my machine.

Alienware's strength isn't hassle-free-ness, it's in having the Dell warranty and tech support network behind the product, as well as looking good and feeling good (which are very sensible reasons to recommend them to the average joe).

There isn't any more guarantee that you'll get a set-it-and-forget-it experience from Alienware than you will from a reputable system integrator like Eluktronics, HIDevolution, xoticpc etc.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 31, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

Looking at the Dave2D videos the internal layout of the new Asus Zephyrus G14 looks a lot like the Intel-sponsored cooling design of the Eluktronics magnesium laptop from a few months ago.

It's clearly a very effective heatpipe/hsf layout but I imagine Intel isn't too thrilled to see it power an AMD laptop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiv1USXl9PE

Gaming benchmarks of the G14.

I'm torn, I love most everything about it, but it certainly doesn't represent the best performance for the money because of that RTX2060 MAX-Q. It's still the most powerful compact gaming laptop though.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

I'm torn, I love most everything about it, but it certainly doesn't represent the best performance for the money because of that RTX2060 MAX-Q. It's still the most powerful compact gaming laptop though.

I mean if your priority is max performance for money, ultraportable is not the product class you're shopping. I don't think it's reasonable to expect something that size you be the value king; you pay a premium for the form factor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VorpalFish posted:

I mean if your priority is max performance for money, ultraportable is not the product class you're shopping. I don't think it's reasonable to expect something that size you be the value king; you pay a premium for the form factor.

Oh absolutely. The thing also has some pretty amazing battery life for an gaming notebook as well.

It's a fantastic all rounder. If you were just going to have one device, it's a very good one device to have. I would certainly take the G14 over something like an XPS 15 at this point. It stomps it in performance, won't overheat, has the same premium construction, and gets just as good battery.

I was looking at this from a lens of where I should spend my money (if at all). I don't need a gaming notebook, I just love gadgets. I don't know if $1449 on this or $1699 on a MAG-15 is a better choice for me.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

Oh absolutely. The thing also has some pretty amazing battery life for an gaming notebook as well.

It's a fantastic all rounder. If you were just going to have one device, it's a very good one device to have. I would certainly take the G14 over something like an XPS 15 at this point. It stomps it in performance, won't overheat, has the same premium construction, and gets just as good battery.

I was looking at this from a lens of where I should spend my money (if at all). I don't need a gaming notebook, I just love gadgets. I don't know if $1449 on this or $1699 on a MAG-15 is a better choice for me.

Unless you must have something really small, the mag-15 should get you better gaming performance at least if you spec the 2070mq.

The way I look at it, the choice is between the g14 and the blade stealth 1650 if you're considering anything else. The prestige 14 hits the dimensions but imo the lack of cooling makes it not viable. Everything else on the market is like an inch+ bigger footprint.

If you don't need the portability I don't see why you wouldn't go MAG15 or wait for one of the bigger zen2 based offerings that are undoubtedly coming. You'll probably get a faster gpu at a similar price point and probably better screen options as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ha, I don't actually NEED anything. I just this week rebuilt my gaming desktop reusing my GTX1080 and putting a 3700x in it with 32gb of ram. And I'm stuck at home for the forseeable future.

It's just shiny shiny and I'm trying to invent reasons why the smaller size would be worth the performance tradeoff.

Had I not bought an XPS13 2:1 back in November, I would be more easily be able to justify it as a do it all portable. But I kinda got the tiny device niche solved.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

There isn't any more guarantee that you'll get a set-it-and-forget-it experience from Alienware than you will from a reputable system integrator like Eluktronics, HIDevolution, xoticpc etc.

I suppose it has more to do with horrible experiences myself and others have had with third-party sellers like xoticpc and similar vendors. I don't think there's anything remotely special about AW/Dell, I just feel like I can personally recommend them which is significant after being essentially scammed and assfucked by pieces of poo poo who swear on a stack of bibles that every Clevo reseller is as reputable as the next. They aren't.

And I'd recommend everyone run as loving far from xoticpc as you can get and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you even look at any of their specs or expect them to be remotely on-the-level. I can personally attest to the fact that you should run as fast as you loving can in the opposite direction. The fact that you would mention them as being even an option to buy from makes me think you just don't know any better, which I charitably hope is the case.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 31, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've used xoticpc and besides doing some sketchy tax thing it was fine. I got a decked out Sager gaming notebook and it lasted a few years before I sold it.

For the tax thing they shipped my laptop from California to another state and then shipped it back to my address in California. I don't think that loophole works anymore since even Newegg and Amazon charge taxes now.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I got sub-standard parts in the Sager I bought from them, along with a completely malfunctioning GPU. That was after it took them 3 and a half months to get the laptop I paid for 'rush' service on shipped out, and that was after I had to call and talk to no fewer than 7 different people trying to get ANY basic information, but essentially (I later found out) they had a super-sketchy (and criminal) boss at least at the time, and most everyone was explicitly told to never tell the customer ANY concrete information they can use against xoticpc in any sort of argument - as long as nobody offers a date it is going to arrive or a specific problem, I guess they can claim they didn't know anything was wrong and got it to me as fast as they could?

So anyway, after I got my malfunctioning joke of a laptop with its broken GPU that blue-screened Windows *always* by 7-10 minutes after it loaded, without fail. I had to send it right loving back to them to fix. I was trying my loving hardest to get a refund at this point, and lacking that I desperately wanted to spec a different laptop, but they refused ALL avenues of customer service and repeatedly threw the user agreement from when I initially bought it in my face as much as they could. I ended up with getting the "fixed" laptop back 7 months after it was supposed to initially arrive, and it still never came close to the level of performance it was promised to have because of 'problems' with whatever the loving AMD equivalent of Optimus for nvidia,. I forget the loving stupid term they used.

All in all, it was by far the shittiest, worst, most unpleasant experience I have had with any vendor or retailer in any field, ever. Shockingly I was one of *many* people who had been treated like a human skid mark by these sons of bitches, and they never gave me a sincere apology or a single bit of 'swag' or 'free stuff' which was about the only thing they did promise to me during the whole loving debacle. Turned out I was just one of HUNDREDS of people they hosed over and effectively stole from.

It was a loving mess, and it makes me angry and irritated and pissed off just thinking about this goddamn bullshit. All I can tell you guys is to not loving risk it. Maybe they do a better job now than they did in the early-mid '2010s, but I loving hate that they're still in business at all.

edit: Just google around a bit and I am pretty sure you'll find dozens of accounts of similar stories. Should have loving joined the class-action lawsuit against them, I mean one of the several that have happened so far.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 31, 2020

Chris Chichester
Oct 23, 2001
Fun Shoe
Looking for some advice on a used laptop that is compatible with the HP docking station my employer sent home with me. The work laptop is an Elitebook 840 G3 and it does the trick but I wan't something that isn't company owned. This will be for web surfing and youtube basically. I will not be gaming on this machine.

I know I could buy a thread favorite (Thinkpad) and use it with a separate dock but I would love the simplicity of swapping them in and out of the one I already have. The compatible laptop list is below if that helps but I'm mainly looking to eliminate options if there are obvious ones to stay away from. If I find machines with similar specs between these lines should I choose the ZBook over the EliteBook for example?

HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G1, G3
HP EliteBook 1040 G2
HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G1, G3
HP EliteBook 820 G1, G2, G3, G4
HP EliteBook 840 & 850 G1, G2, G3, G4, G5, G6
HP EliteBook 830 G5, G6
HP EliteBook 720, 740, 750 G1, G2
HP EliteBook 725 G3, G4, G5
HP EliteBook 745, 755 G3, G4, G5, G6
HP EliteBook 735 G5, G6
HP ProBook 640, 650 G2, G3, G4, G5
HP ProBook 645 G2, G3, G4, G5
HP ProBook 655 G2, G3, G4
HP EliteBook Folio 9480m, 9470m
HP ZBook 14u G4, G5, G6
HP ZBook 15u G3, G4, G5, G6

Not sure what else to include and I didn't see a template to use for recommendations in the OP. Thanks.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I've got a PS4. I'm looking for a laptop and I just want to play some new indie games and maybe Crusader Kings 3, can I get away with on chip graphics? An HDD?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

Techspot did iGPU benchmarks on the new Ryzen chips. They completely beat the pants off NVidia's MX line, so GOOD loving RIDDANCE TO THAT. Relative performance in GPU-bottlenecked situations is "half of a 1650 Max-Q".

Holy poo poo, I am probably getting something with a 4800U in it.

bull3964 posted:

I think I agree with what was said earlier: Nvidia is the one holding the laptop back from being better than it is, what with next gen parts slated to also be on 7nm.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 1, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Think dell could cram a 4800u in the XPS13? Because that would be a perfect machine.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think I agree with what was said earlier: Nvidia is the one holding the laptop back from being better than it is, what with next gen parts slated to also be on 7nm.

If AMD manages to implement the Renoir/RDNA2 power efficiency improvements in their 7nm mobile Navi chip, they‘ll very likely have better power efficiency than what mobile Turing offers right now.

Unfortunately I have no idea when they are planning to ship a chip like that, but considering NVidia (was?) is rumored to announce a Super-refresh for their mobile chips any day now, I’d say mobile Navi will be out before the next NVidia mobile gen.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

Think dell could cram a 4800u in the XPS13? Because that would be a perfect machine.

4800U is a 15W part, I don't know why it wouldn't. Don't current Intel parts in the XPS13 boost up to 25W or something like that?

That said, it probably wouldn't be "the perfect machine". I still worry about USB4 and its industry-standard resembling but legally-distinct from the lollipop guildThunderbolt, and how new devices between now and 2021~2022 will be in this sort of weird gap state where AMD laptops will be considered top-of-the-line but lack Thunderbolt functionality unless they put a Titan Ridge chip in there.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 1, 2020

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space
Since my earlier post I've done a lot more reading, and will probably be staying away from some of the other weird brands that Reddit likes to recommend. I've also decided to up my budget a bit because it feels like the 1650 max Q that's on a lot of the machines I was looking at will be fairly limiting even in the next two years. I think I could comfortably go up to about $1500 Canadian because everything below that sounds like it would have questionable build quality or really, really bad cooling.

That said, the three main options for me (all price below are in $CAD) right now seem to be:
Acer 300 Helios - This sounds like the best machine of the three, with the best heat management. A bit above even my updated price range right now, but it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere in Canada. Do Acer machines tend to go on good sales that would be worth waiting for? This would be with either a 1660 Ti or maybe the RTX 2060 depending on sales and any other student discounts, for example.

Lenovo Legion Y540 - current sale price $1379 (from $1699) - i5-9300H and 1660 Ti. This looks pretty good but seems to be out of stock with Lenovo. Customer support suggested 3 weeks for them to come back in stock, but there isn't an option to order now at the current price.

Dell G5 15 SE - with the current sale + student discount, $1480 (from $2099) - i7-9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM vs. 8GB for the other two. This feels like a lot of value for the price, but the reviews I've seen of the Dells say it gets hot enough that thermal throttling is an issue. I found one Reddit post where someone said they improved this with a custom fan profile and undervolting the CPU. This feels like a really good deal, and if I have to run some AAA games on a slightly lower setting for heating, that probably doesn't matter too much. At the same time, it feels weird buying something that I know probably can't perform as well as it should.
One other note on the Dell as configured is that the display is only 60Hz. I could upgrade to the 144Hz version for $80. Would this be worth it?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Dell since it feels like you're definitely getting $100 more of performance from it vs. the Legion, but I'm concerned about heating, and don't really know how big of an issue that would be since I haven't really gamed on a laptop since maybe 2011. Having some goon advice to either buy or avoid it would help a lot!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wonder when we'll see the first Ryzen 4900 paired with a Nvidia RTX Super graphics option.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Should I be worried about anything for this used older Dell Precision M3800. I heard they have a rubbery surface on the palms which might feel annoying.

15.6in 3840x2160 IGZO
i7-4712HQ
Quadro K1100 2GB
16GB
500GB SSD (mSATA) + 500GB hybrid spinner
Win10 license
Charger included
light scuffs and scratches

For $250

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 1, 2020

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Are there any business-class laptops with great built in webcams? Or will I always need an external to get great quality? Great as in clear and smooth, but it’s only for meetings not visual presentations/art or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, so, I just found out something downright loving CRAZY about the Alienwear Area 51m that I received on Tuesday of last week. Something is up with the display panel, and to me, the display panel is hugely, massively important part of a laptop, and not nearly enough money or time is spent of them for the most part.

I was a bit disappointed when I saw that the Area-51m did not have an option for a 4K screen, but they did have G-SYNC, which was pretty drat cool. I figured that there are external monitors, and frankly I've been quite content at 1080p,

Then I went to play Starcraft2 earlier today and the screen flickered a la the resolution changing when I loaded it. What the heck? Everything is set to 1080p so why in hell is that happening? I go back to the desktop and sure enough, everything is bigger than it should be and my desktop resolution is screwed up. This kinda thing happens a fair amount of the time to your average PC gamer so I go to fix it. I go to my display settings to check it out, and yep, everything is set to be scaled up 300% larger than normal.

Wondering how I triggered this by loading a game, I go to set the scale back to 100% and... what the gently caress!? Everything is tiny, WAY tinier than it should or than I've ever seen it. I am in absolute and total confusion wondering what's going on for about 2 solid seconds, then I see the display settings still open, albeit with much smaller text, and I see the resolution is... 3840x2160.

Meaning that, so far as I can see, I have a native 4K/UHD screen on my Area-51m. Again, there were *NO OPTIONS* for a 4K screen. I mean, I would have sprung for it. Further, the screen absolutely *DOES* operate at 144Hz, and has functional G-SYNC and Tobii Eyetracking. So... I am very happy... I think? I mean, an i7-9700K paired with an RTX 2070 is much more suited to a 4K display than a 1080p one, which it IS rather overpowered for. No?

I honestly don't quite know what to make of it.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 2, 2020