Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TheMightyHandful posted:

Its because its hot as hell here, keeps it cool

In my experience because at least a third the height of the wall is above the windows, hot air rises and gets trapped up there with nowhere to go. Most of the time my house is hotter inside than outside in summer; and freezing cold in winter. This may just be my house being badly designed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

The exception being Victorian houses in the UK, which are the only ones with decent ceiling heights here.

They had gas lamps & open fires, so more of a smoke dissipation space.

Rich people houses who could afford the extra fuel costs. Georgia architecture has really high ceilings, along with almost floor-to-ceiling windows, to let in light and disperse heat.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo. I think my house has 8' ceilings. If I had huge amounts of money to throw around and built new, I'd go for somewhathigher ceilings, but 16'? You might as well hang a hammock from the ceiling for sleeping in winter, since that's where all of your heat has gone.

They live in the Koala Kingdom, it’s never going to be colder than 25C there from now on.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo. I think my house has 8' ceilings. If I had huge amounts of money to throw around and built new, I'd go for somewhathigher ceilings, but 16'? You might as well hang a hammock from the ceiling for sleeping in winter, since that's where all of your heat has gone.

In winter the house is freezing cold. Remember this is an Australian house so it doesn't have insulation, or central heating or double glazed windows or anything like that. 80 - 100 year old leadlight windows also don't do a great job keeping out draughts.

It's actually really annoying. When I need to change a lightbulb on the chandelier in my bedroom; I have to stand on a stepladder that's as tall as I am, and I still have to reach above my head to change the bulb. It's actually pretty scary. I haven't cleaned the dust filter on my bedroom aircon unit in over a decade because it's on the wall behind my desk 13' in the air.

drgitlin posted:

They live in the Koala Kingdom, it’s never going to be colder than 25C there from now on.

Daytime temps in winter are typically in the low 20s, at night it drops down to 10-12C, rarely it can get as low as 6-8. I would typically be wearing 3 layers of sweaters sitting in my room in winter. I sleep with 3 heavy blankets on my bed for 2 months of the year.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

In my experience because at least a third the height of the wall is above the windows, hot air rises and gets trapped up there with nowhere to go. Most of the time my house is hotter inside than outside in summer; and freezing cold in winter. This may just be my house being badly designed though.

That's the point of transom and clerestory windows, louvers (no not louvres, we speak 'murican round here) and attic vents in old houses. And why so many had/have sleeping porches attached to the upstairs bedrooms.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

That's the point of transom and clerestory windows, louvers (no not louvres, we speak 'murican round here) and attic vents in old houses. And why so many had/have sleeping porches attached to the upstairs bedrooms.

Yeah my house doesn't have any of those things. My bedroom is ventilated by a bay window with 6 leadlight windows in it (4 in width and one on each side of the bay). The top of the windows line up with the picture rail, which is roughly 2/3 of the way up the wall. All of the internal and external walls of the house are brick, and more than 1' thick. Attics are extremely uncommon in Australia. There is a ceiling cavity between the roof and the upstairs ceiling, which can be accessed from what is essentially a manhole in one corner of the kitchen ceiling. It periodically functions as accommodation for a family of local possums. It may have vents to the outside but who knows if they're even unblocked.

There is also this vent-like thing near the ceiling in my bedroom:

There seems to be a corresponding vent on the other side of the wall outside, but I've never seen light shine through it, and the wall is super thick like I said so who knows if there's even a direct path for air.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah my house doesn't have any of those things. My bedroom is ventilated by a bay window with 6 leadlight windows in it (4 in width and one on each side of the bay). The top of the windows line up with the picture rail, which is roughly 2/3 of the way up the wall. All of the internal and external walls of the house are brick, and more than 1' thick. Attics are extremely uncommon in Australia. There is a ceiling cavity between the roof and the upstairs ceiling, which can be accessed from what is essentially a manhole in one corner of the kitchen ceiling. It periodically functions as accommodation for a family of local possums. It may have vents to the outside but who knows if they're even unblocked.

There is also this vent-like thing near the ceiling in my bedroom:

There seems to be a corresponding vent on the other side of the wall outside, but I've never seen light shine through it, and the wall is super thick like I said so who knows if there's even a direct path for air.

I'm guessing that back in the day it didn't get nearly as hot in your part of Australia as it does now. Lots of houses in central Virginia were built with cold weather in mind since it actually used to snow regularly. Now it's hot most of the year so the old houses have turned into big brick ovens. Though my apartment building built in 1817 does have transoms over the original doorways and (leaky) windows that go up to the ceiling, which help a lot to keep things comfortable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

I'm guessing that back in the day it didn't get nearly as hot in your part of Australia as it does now. Lots of houses in central Virginia were built with cold weather in mind since it actually used to snow regularly. Now it's hot most of the year so the old houses have turned into big brick ovens. Though my apartment building built in 1817 does have transoms over the original doorways and (leaky) windows that go up to the ceiling, which help a lot to keep things comfortable.

I'm in Queensland, it's definitely hotter now, but we've always had hot humid summers with temps over 30. I think my house was just built by an idiot. There are a lot of strange design choices.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh god it looks like Japan learned post-war house building from Australia. This explains so many things.
Twisty vents
https://nafco-online.com/user_data/grid.php?category_id=152007&pageno=2

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

The Lord Bude posted:

Older houses in Australia tend to have high ceilings, although even our oldest houses are mostly much younger than the colonial era houses being discussed in the US. My house has 16' ceilings.

I have a friend who's sister bought a house in LA. I think it was an early 1900s house because it also had super high ceilings, again to try to keep the houses cooler.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MetaJew posted:

I have a friend who's sister bought a house in LA. I think it was an early 1900s house because it also had super high ceilings, again to try to keep the houses cooler.

Here is a Victorian house (1873) in Tucson, AZ with classic hot weather design. The doors and windows are positioned with a direct paths for airflow. The semi-open floorplan with the dining room open to the parlor open to the center hall is the opposite of the little shut-off rooms in Victorian homes up north.

The glass transoms can be opened to let even more air go between rooms.

Of course this all went out the window (heh) with the advent of air conditioning. McMansions in Arizona have the same layouts as McMansions in Minnesota.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 30, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "shotgun"

fun fact: two-story shotgun houses are called "camelbacks" because the second story is usually only over part of the house so it kinda looks like a camel I guess

some shotguns were built with hallways, some had them added on later

A rare example of a newly built (2017) shotgun. It's not too bad apart from being holyshit expensive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Lord Bude posted:

In winter the house is freezing cold. Remember this is an Australian house so it doesn't have insulation, or central heating or double glazed windows or anything like that. 80 - 100 year old leadlight windows also don't do a great job keeping out draughts.

It's actually really annoying. When I need to change a lightbulb on the chandelier in my bedroom; I have to stand on a stepladder that's as tall as I am, and I still have to reach above my head to change the bulb. It's actually pretty scary. I haven't cleaned the dust filter on my bedroom aircon unit in over a decade because it's on the wall behind my desk 13' in the air.

Daytime temps in winter are typically in the low 20s, at night it drops down to 10-12C, rarely it can get as low as 6-8. I would typically be wearing 3 layers of sweaters sitting in my room in winter. I sleep with 3 heavy blankets on my bed for 2 months of the year.

If you had a well insulated house, it'd keep out the warmth as well as keeping it in during winter. Really makes having an A/C more energy effective too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you had a well insulated house, it'd keep out the warmth as well as keeping it in during winter. Really makes having an A/C more energy effective too.

Oh I know. Sadly insulated houses are extremely rare in Australia and even in new construction I believe it isn't the norm. We installed aircon in 2005 though, though only in my room and my Dad's bedroom.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Youth Decay posted:

A rare example of a newly built (2017) shotgun. It's not too bad apart from being holyshit expensive.

Can townhomes be considered shotguns? Because if so, every home built in Chicago and the near suburbs for like the past 20 years is a shotgun. Just a bunch of narrow rear end living spaces. I've been in more shotgun floorplans than normal ones at this point.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Slugworth posted:

Can townhomes be considered shotguns? Because if so, every home built in Chicago and the near suburbs for like the past 20 years is a shotgun. Just a bunch of narrow rear end living spaces. I've been in more shotgun floorplans than normal ones at this point.

Meh... shotgun is just a permanent single-wide trailer. So it's nothing new by far.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Slugworth posted:

the ol'wikipedia posted:

A shotgun house is a narrow rectangular domestic residence, usually no more than about 12 feet (3.5 m) wide, with rooms arranged one behind the other and doors at each end of the house.
If they were built without any sort of hallway so you have to pass through a room to get to the next room then that's a shotgun.The newer one I posted is kind of stretching the definition but nowadays most shotgun house bedrooms wouldn't be legally considered bedrooms. They have to modify the plan to fit modern code.

Shotgun house layouts traditionally look like this (thank you New Orleans real estate agents for including floorplans)

When they are renovated they are usually given hallways (if wide enough) and/or the floorplan opened up and/or a side entrance added.

Often shotgun doubles are turned into singles.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 31, 2020

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I actually love shotgun houses, but I absolutely cannot survive in NOLA without melting into a puddle like a wicked witch. All the places with the coolest houses have the worst climates :(

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I will never really understand houses where you walk through bedroom 1 to get to bedroom 2. Like hi kids, you have sod all privacy mam and dad are just gonna waaaander through to the main bedroom!
Or worse, hi guests!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mocking Bird posted:

I actually love shotgun houses, but I absolutely cannot survive in NOLA without melting into a puddle like a wicked witch. All the places with the coolest houses have the worst climates :(

Classic shotgun houses are mostly found in 3 parts of the country:
1) Gulf coast from Galveston all the way to Key West
2) Louisville, Kentucky
3) St. Louis, Missouri
I blame the French.

There used to be more in other areas but they got bulldozed to make way for rich people. There are still some but they're hard to look for since realtors hate using the word "shotgun" because shotgun houses are for poor and black people.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 31, 2020

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Sloth Life posted:

I will never really understand houses where you walk through bedroom 1 to get to bedroom 2. Like hi kids, you have sod all privacy mam and dad are just gonna waaaander through to the main bedroom!
Or worse, hi guests!

Well you typically had a lot of people sharing one house and the concept of personal privacy for must people didn’t really exist until relatively recently, so this was just the way it was.

Also IIRC these were designed to maximize comfort with the kitchen at the back and the sleeping quarters close to that - keeps you warm in the winter, then you open things up in the summer to expel the heat from cooking.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Cotswold"
an architectural/decor style that apparently means like a million different things

I can smell the cigar smoke from here

I want a hot pink oriental rug

This mansion is 100% haunted (would still love to be a maidservant there)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Freaquency posted:

Well you typically had a lot of people sharing one house and the concept of personal privacy for must people didn’t really exist until relatively recently, so this was just the way it was.

Also IIRC these were designed to maximize comfort with the kitchen at the back and the sleeping quarters close to that - keeps you warm in the winter, then you open things up in the summer to expel the heat from cooking.

in addition to a high degree of 'surface area' for airflow in hot climates, the narrow design is a great benefit for urban living in a time when people are mostly walking everywhere. all buildings tended to be narrower then, so you could fit in more buildings on the block. lots cheaper to build too

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sloth Life posted:

Or worse, hi guests!

It’s almost as if it was all that was available to an underclass because of a really racist society.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sloth Life posted:

Or worse, hi guests!

drgitlin posted:

It’s almost as if it was all that was available to an underclass because of a really racist society.

Yeah, remember shotgun houses are predominantly a southern US concept and associated with the poor, which unfortunately a lot of black families were (but at least they were no longer slaves). They're basically a case of making do with what you have and in that respect they're practical, even if privacy is less of a concern than surviving a winter and having a home at all.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, remember shotgun houses are predominantly a southern US concept and associated with the poor, which unfortunately a lot of black families were (but at least they were no longer slaves). They're basically a case of making do with what you have and in that respect they're practical, even if privacy is less of a concern than surviving a winter and having a home at all.

the initial definition of the form of shotgun houses is based on climate and location. they became associated with the poor over time because small, old houses tend to be inhabited mostly by poor people

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

drat me too I feel like it’s hard to get them in not the standard colors

I got a green one for my hallway and that took some searching

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Versailles doesn't have any hallways either; all the rooms just lead from one to another same as in a shotgun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

The listing for the top one says it's pine, which was the most commonly used wood for these thicc floors.

Bottom house used several species of wood because it's 1727 and they haven't stripped all the big timber from New England just yet.

Imagine the people who owned these houses 60 years ago being totally over old wood floors and craving wall to wall carpeting.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

drgitlin posted:

I didn't click the race aspect, mea culpa

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Youth Decay posted:

There are a ton out there, I think I'm going to pick this one up once I get my living room repainted. Pink goes especially great with dark blues and greens.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...ink&searchidx=3

Here's a bunch more: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Area-Rugs/Pink,/color,/31446/subcat.html

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 1, 2020

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

https://www.rugsusa.com/ is a good source for rugs in every color imaginable and pretty reasonable. We bought this one for my daughter's nursery and it is much nicer than I thought it would be. They seem to be one of those sites that's constantly having a sale, so I wouldn't order anything at full price.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "warehouse loft"

Whyyyy would you put a TV opposite a giant window wall??? They didn't even photoshop out the glare

This bathroom is probably larger than my apartment

I wonder if they'll let you mess around with the clock and confuse the hell out of everyone in DUMBO.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

some interior design blog posted:

Who would think that this brick house in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn, New York would be so luxurious?

Edited in a relevant photo just for you slurry_curry

there wolf fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 2, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That Brooklyn apartment has been on the market for literally years.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

That Brooklyn apartment has been on the market for literally years.

The one in the post right above you or ~The Clock~?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "conservatory"
which like 90% of the time is just the sunroom in a McMansion
this is the other 10%

I like the rabbit coffee table

Not sure how I feel about this weird industrial house that was inspired by a grain elevator

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "conservatory"
which like 90% of the time is just the sunroom in a McMansion
this is the other 10%

I like the rabbit coffee table

Not sure how I feel about this weird industrial house that was inspired by a grain elevator

I kinda like 3, 6, and 7, number 1 reminds me of art museums in Washington DC like the Sackler and the Freer

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I kinda like 3, 6, and 7, number 1 reminds me of art museums in Washington DC like the Sackler and the Freer

Yeah but at the Sackler the lion's head is strung out and the fountain runs with blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

These plants are 100% photoshopped in. You can also see it in one of the later photos where the space is empty.