Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm not at all surprised it took 7 years. Nothing about Mount and blade has made me expect the devs are like some really competent studio with a good workflow.

The animations are still basically exactly the same as MB1
Having said that, I've been pretty well impressed at some nice QoL stuff and just general polish and iteration so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
btw if you're an idiot like me and zipped past it, or didn't play the tutorial, you can hold left alt while in a town to zoom in on the headman

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hopefully now that it's been given some positive press coverage, they never remove the ability to play as a baby:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/31/you-can-be-a-baby-in-mount-blade-2-bannerlord/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The animations in combat seem to have been buffed up a bit. I've noticed that swinging my weapon from the same direction multiple times in a row makes me loop my arm around above my head to strike again, which takes time. Swinging from alternating sides seems faster. You can also arc your attacks around shields. I've lined up thrusts that I was able to footwork into getting around the shield.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Davincie posted:

my greatest dislike so far is the real lack in cool looking knight armor. warband was easy cause you could just go swabia but the vlandians in this all look like dorks

On the other hand, the cataphracts and Khuzait cavalry look cool as hell.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Skill growth is horrifically slow. You start with such low values in everything, and everything grows at a snail's pace. I'm swimming in focus points that are worthless to me, as my growth potential in my skills is already double digit points higher than my actual values.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Skill growth is horrifically slow. You start with such low values in everything, and everything grows at a snail's pace. I'm swimming in focus points that are worthless to me, as my growth potential in my skills is already double digit points higher than my actual values.

It's pretty heavily dependent upon how many focus points you have in the skill and your stats. Although some skills level up pretty fast. I'll get 1-3 points of Athletics or Riding every single battle, and I'll hit my cap on those quick. Same with my weapon of choice. Steward you can level up just waiting in a town and watch it go up 2-3 points a day, so that's just of factor of a few minutes at max speed with enough food/gold to pay/feed troops.

Engineering, Scouting, etc... are so niche I imagine they'll be hard to level up just due to lack of opportunity. Weirdly Surgeon doesn't seem to level up as I thought it would on the tooltip, so that may be a slow one as well.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

nessin posted:

It's pretty heavily dependent upon how many focus points you have in the skill and your stats. Although some skills level up pretty fast. I'll get 1-3 points of Athletics or Riding every single battle, and I'll hit my cap on those quick. Same with my weapon of choice. Steward you can level up just waiting in a town and watch it go up 2-3 points a day, so that's just of factor of a few minutes at max speed with enough food/gold to pay/feed troops.

Engineering, Scouting, etc... are so niche I imagine they'll be hard to level up just due to lack of opportunity. Weirdly Surgeon doesn't seem to level up as I thought it would on the tooltip, so that may be a slow one as well.

I think Engineering, Scouting, and Surgeon you level up by being your Clan's Engineer, Scout, or Surgeon.

I did Steward by being my Clan's Quartermaster, and having a TON of food diversity.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Are they planning on adding steam workshop support to this? Seems like a no-brainer given how robust the mod scene for the first one seems to have been.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

My experience so far it's that's an improvement over its predecessor in every single way. I haven't had any crashes, and the only "bugs" have been three bits of placeholder text.

I can't really comment on the melee mechanics, as I'm very much a horse archer person. I'm currently trying to work out how my band of horse raiders is going to start capturing castles.

Does anyone know what to spend money on? I have about 80k in the bank and don't know what to put it towards. I'd like a castle.

Main annoyances so far is me repeatedly capturing lords, only to have them escape and constantly recapturing them. I have to wait for the other lords in my faction to trundle towards the various castles and siege them, with me taking out all the small groups from the Suddenly Released Lords.

Skill progression seems... very slow. I haven't really done any quests, maybe they're the way to leap ahead. But I don't really see why I'd want to herd cattle when I could be shooting peasants in the back.

There seem to be a lot of new mechanics in the kingdom and clan management that I haven't reached yet. Location maps are gorgeous, and it's nice to see all the surrounding countryside modelled to match the world map.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the landscapes get really pretty

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know if we're supposed to be able to reload a crossbow on horseback or not? I can't tell if it's a bug that I can't or if it's a feature because the dev's think no one ever used a crossbow on a horse or not.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

I'm glad the empire is split into 3 factions to appease any Roman fanatic. Ya got a Caesar stand in, senate dorks, and a hereditary empire stan. There's an empire for everybody!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Trying not to buy a full price early access game but this thread is getting me hyped. Is there a "no horses" faction? I'm a miserable person that doesn't like them.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Trying not to buy a full price early access game but this thread is getting me hyped. Is there a "no horses" faction? I'm a miserable person that doesn't like them.

Nerds are horse-free like before, I believe.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
How's the roaving band of Horse Archers gameplay? I always loved the idea for Warband but unfortunately the AI made it very unusable compared to a simple staggering block of archers and shieldwall. Cavalry often got stuck and while that's not too bad for armored mounts, it really made the mounted archers suffer.

If there's actual skirmish AI in this I could see getting into that aspect.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Jack B Nimble posted:

probably the Nords. hope you like huscarls.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Radio Free Kobold posted:

probably the Nords

I have news for you about the Nords.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

In case you didn't know, the most focus points you put into a skill the higher the multiplier you learn it at. I think I was at x7.0 polearms learning at one point because I had a bunch of focus points in it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Radio Free Kobold posted:

probably the Nords. hope you like huscarls.

I love them, seeing my battle log spam "killed by Huscarl" is 80% of my M&B memories.

Edit: but I thought I read they...aren't really in this game? IDK, every article or page I google about the factions kind of sucks.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Popoto posted:

How's the roaving band of Horse Archers gameplay? I always loved the idea for Warband but unfortunately the AI made it very unusable compared to a simple staggering block of archers and shieldwall. Cavalry often got stuck and while that's not too bad for armored mounts, it really made the mounted archers suffer.

Well I know 13 Steppes Horse Archer Bandits killed my 50 man on-foot army with ease. Bow's are incredibly powerful in this edition.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

nessin posted:

Anyone know if we're supposed to be able to reload a crossbow on horseback or not? I can't tell if it's a bug that I can't or if it's a feature because the dev's think no one ever used a crossbow on a horse or not.

I saw a Crossbow perk to be able to reload on horseback, I think it's at like 75 skill?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jack B Nimble posted:

I love them, seeing my battle log spam "killed by Huscarl" is 80% of my M&B memories.

Edit: but I thought I read they...aren't really in this game? IDK, every article or page I google about the factions kind of sucks.

Sturgians are like proto-Vaegir/Nords and do most of the Nord stuff I think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nope. No Nords. The closest you get are the sturgians who have similar gear on some units, but are more Eastern European in flavor and have a good amount of light and medium cavalry.

The cavalry lightest faction is the Battanians who are a mix of Irish/Welsh and other Celtic bits. They still have light cavalry but the focus is on foot troops, skirmishes and the nobility tend to be elite longbowman (who can still murder the poo poo out of things with two handed melee).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Popoto posted:

Horse archers are awesome in Bannerlord. Unlike in Warband they'll actually ride around enemies while shooting. Melee cav will also try to charge through or past enemies to attack and then ride away a decent bit to make another pass instead of just getting stuck.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gobblecoque posted:

Horse archers are awesome in Bannerlord. Unlike in Warband they'll actually ride around enemies while shooting. Melee cav will also try to charge through or past enemies to attack and then ride away a decent bit to make another pass instead of just getting stuck.

:unsmigghh:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Gobblecoque posted:

can confirm it's incredible to see 500 house archers circle around 500 Sturgian spearmen and absolutely massacre them with arrows

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Popoto posted:

I've been doing horse archers exclusively, with the only melee being the Horse Archers In Training. I've not had any horses get stuck at all, and have played on all sorts of landscape maps.

The AI for them seems very well done, and they literally run circles around the melee until the horse archer runs out of arrows completely, at which point it darts in and out with spear runs.

The AI does change between unit types however, and I've noticed one of the upgrade tiers (Heavy Horse Archer) is worse than one of the tiers before it (Horse Archer). The AI for the heavy horse archer seems to want to charge it with its fancy spear as an opening gambit, which when faced with mass spears is an early retirement strategy.

My band is only at the 60-80 horse archer stage however. It may change when you get to 300+, as that's a big blob.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nope. No Nords. The closest you get are the sturgians who have similar gear on some units, but are more Eastern European in flavor and have a good amount of light and medium cavalry.

The cavalry lightest faction is the Battanians who are a mix of Irish/Welsh and other Celtic bits. They still have light cavalry but the focus is on foot troops, skirmishes and the nobility tend to be elite longbowman (who can still murder the poo poo out of things with two handed melee).

Some Nords? They appear in the encyclopedia under troops but there's only three entries and I have no idea where or if they show up in game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lance couching doesn't seem to have a cooldown anymore

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

nessin posted:

From warband, the heavier crossbows require you stepping on them in order to pull back the string for tension, ala

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Hefty Leftist posted:

can confirm it's incredible to see 500 house archers circle around 500 Sturgian spearmen and absolutely massacre them with arrows

Honestly a bit too OP. I joined with the eastern faction with their horse archers, signed up to an army, and besieged a castle. My side had 170ish troops, about half horse archers and half everything else. First we destroyed the defenders which sallied out, which was 200 some odd troops with zero losses. Then one of their lords assembled their own army that had around 160 units and beat them back in the next fight with only 20 losses. It was brutal.

The AI commanders even use actual tactics. The infantry was deployed in a line in front of the archers and melee cav, while the horse archers were sent to circle the approaching army. When the opposing army got close the infantry charged to keep some dinstance to the archers, and when our infantry won the day they were formed into a square to stop being charged by the opposing melee cav. I'd chosen to control no wing of the army, so it was all AI commands.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I've been eyeing the Battanians, I want to play an archer heavy band of forest /mountain dwelling skirmishers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think they need a bit of work on the marriage and family thing, especially if it is going to be a bigger deal for alliances and you get a heirs now and stuff.

Like I married my guy off to the presumed heiress of the southern empire. This was accomplished by passing three skill checks in one conversation and then going to her mother the empress, who I'd never met before, and paying like 6000 gold. That's all she needed to marry the next empress off to a random Battanian mercenary captain. But like, I didn't seem to get anything for it? No new alliance, my standing didn't really change. Although I guess at least I did get a kickass warrior wife because Ira is a goddamn beast who comes equipped top tier equipment :hellyeah:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

So it seems like the only way to get interesting fights is join up with a faction, or else you're stuck with looters/raiders. How are you supposed to find the faction leader guy to ask? Is diplomacy at all dynamic or will, e.g., the Vlandians always be at war with the Sturgians?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Tyler Whitney posted:

From warband, the heavier crossbows require you stepping on them in order to pull back the string for tension, ala

Yeah, just be happy they didn't introduce windlass crossbows. Those have a removable winch to pull the string back. Tends to take like a minute to reload. Great in sieges, though.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lance couching doesn't seem to have a cooldown anymore

And it is just SO satisfying to see those high numbers pop out of enemies you killed with a lance :allears:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I am kind of liking the new fall of the Roman Empire style setting.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Was crashing every 10 minutes or so, with constant stuttering when I wasnt. Followed a goon's suggestion of turning down the sound channels. Now the game runs very smooth with no crashing. Success!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

So it seems like the only way to get interesting fights is join up with a faction, or else you're stuck with looters/raiders. How are you supposed to find the faction leader guy to ask? Is diplomacy at all dynamic or will, e.g., the Vlandians always be at war with the Sturgians?

You can go to any of the kingdoms' lords and ask to sign up as a mercenary. They don't pay much but it lets you participate in big battles where you can get a lot of nice loot. Diplomacy is dynamic although I dunno if there's much reasoning behind which faction decides to war with which or if it's just random.