Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

quote:

“I had a part that detects magnetic fields. I thought that if I built a circuit that could detect the magnetic field, and we wore magnets on our wrists, then it could set off an alarm if you brought it too close to your face. A bit of boredom in isolation made me think of that.”

However, the academic realised the electronic part he had did the opposite – and would only complete a circuit when there was no magnetic field present.

“I accidentally invented a necklace that buzzes continuously unless you move your hand close to your face,” he said.

“After scrapping that idea, I was still a bit bored, playing with the magnets. It’s the same logic as clipping pegs to your ears – I clipped them to my earlobes and then clipped them to my nostril and things went downhill pretty quickly when I clipped the magnets to my other nostril.”

For extra comedy, he had a decent idea and gave up way too quickly to screw around instead. He could have implemented a NOT gate to make it work as intended with the added benefit of separating the sensing circuit from the buzzer circuit and allow for finer tuning of each individual circuit's performance. Had he stuck with the concept, he could have had a Hackaday article at worst. Instead, we have this.

And that is why you don't let an astrophysicist perform an engineer's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

ewiley posted:

For reference i think the cam is pointed at one of the sheds, so not very high off the ground

I feel like there should be a general guideline where if it’s high enough to need a ladder, it’s high enough to kill you if you fall off it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Edward IV posted:

For extra comedy, he had a decent idea and gave up way too quickly to screw around instead. He could have implemented a NOT gate to make it work as intended with the added benefit of separating the sensing circuit from the buzzer circuit and allow for finer tuning of each individual circuit's performance. Had he stuck with the concept, he could have had a Hackaday article at worst. Instead, we have this.

And that is why you don't let an astrophysicist perform an engineer's job.

This result was objectively better.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stairs!

(Might be a photoshop, unsure.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I feel like there should be a general guideline where if it’s high enough to need a ladder, it’s high enough to kill you if you fall off it.

I mean, that’s basically OSHA fall protection guidelines. For construction, 6 feet or higher= wear your goddamn fall protection.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cartoon Man posted:

Stairs!

I'm the handrail

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cartoon Man posted:

Stairs!

Not a photoshop, but it is an art installation rather than a place people actually live.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, that’s basically OSHA fall protection guidelines. For construction, 6 feet or higher= wear your goddamn fall protection.
I meant in the primal part of the human brain, but it’s good to know that if my job of shouting at computers all day ever dries up, I’ll be at least somewhat qualified to not die in the first 24 hours of working a real job.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

In 1988, his Samson – a 100-ton hydraulic jack which was connected to a turnstile such that, with each guest who entered the Newport Harbor Art Museum, timbers were rammed into the museum's supporting walls – was forcibly disassembled by the local fire department on the grounds that it was a safety hazard; the intent of the project had been that, "if enough people entered the museum, it would collapse".

gently caress that guy for ever and ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

quote:

His 1973 work 747 involved the artist firing several pistol shots directly at a Boeing 747 passenger jet plane while it took off from Los Angeles International Airport. The piece had a single witness, photographer Terry McDonnell, who filmed the act.[8]

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People who do dumb and dangerous poo poo for "art" should be fired into the sun.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The outcome of his 'shoot' project could have been better

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I mean, he had some good art pieces too, but a lot of those performance art guys are borderline schizophrenics.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I wonder if the red bull guy knows that getting covid19 doesn't make you immune because people are already getting reinfected with mutated strains.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

I wonder if the red bull guy knows that getting covid19 doesn't make you immune because people are already getting reinfected with mutated strains.

Any proof?
I've only heard of questionable cases where people only tested negative and shortly after flared up again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There is the issue where Covid-19 can cause permanent lung and heart damage, which could mean ending the career of someone who needs to be in top physical shape.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lurking Haro posted:

Any proof?
I've only heard of questionable cases where people only tested negative and shortly after flared up again.

no proof, no

a couple of cases that could be explained by false negative tests and a late resurgence of the virus

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, he had some good art pieces too, but a lot of those performance art guys are borderline schizophrenics.

There's one artist who did a performance piece where she just sat there with a bunch of props, you could do anything to her, and she wouldn't move. She suffered a lot of abuse, obviously, but one of the props was a loaded gun.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/folQpKB.mp4
Thermite welding is :black101:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Read this article on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When artists do dumb poo poo like that, do they actually do it themselves? Or do they use their grant money to hire someone else to make it?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llacDdn5yIE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

When artists do dumb poo poo like that, do they actually do it themselves? Or do they use their grant money to hire someone else to make it?

Depends on the project, this guy probably didn't build a 100 ton jack from scratch in his garage. A grant is basically some entity saying "I want you to art this much" and after that he can do whatever he wants with the money, including hiring contractors or manufacturing or equipment rentals, so long as it eventually results in art by the sponsor's definition.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MrYenko posted:

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 31, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since we're still on a bit of a derail, my favourite batshit-crazy performance artist was Joseph Beuys. He wasn't really a danger to the public like Burden, but he did some wild stuff, including 'I Like America and America Likes Me', in which he locked himself in a gallery for several days with a coyote.

But if you really want to see self-indulgent "wee money printer go brrr" performance art, look no further than Matthew Barney's The Cremaster Cycle. It's a total of nine hours of video performance art and it's completely bonkers. Lots of weird sex stuff, references to Masonic rituals, a motorcycle tire with testes on it (this was way before Truck Nutz!), etc. You probably have to dig around on torrent sites to find the full thing, or just go to YouTube and watch The Order, a clip from one of the films, you'll get the gist of it.

oh boy i found the tire

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Those Chris Burden pieces look cool and interesting to me :shrug:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

FCKGW posted:

no no no see art is only the things people paint that hang in museums i never go to. you can't just call an experience art as though it were an invitation to reassess the fundamental assumptions one's worldview is based upon. that would cheapen the definition of the thing i don't understand and hate reflexively.

edit- art can only be done when it's either a talented poor person who dies at 30 or the post-retirement dabblings of an already rich fucker who bought a gallery.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mister Speaker posted:

The Cremaster Cycle

Lol the cremaster muscle is what retracts your balls when it's cold

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

Those are fine because he's only putting himself and his own property at risk. Trying to knock down the museum or firing guns at airplanes is not the same thing and not cool or interesting.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Spookydonut posted:

I’d be skeptical of these claims of reinfection without more evidence. Here’s a good summary.

https://twitter.com/peterkolchinsky/status/1244029896453754880?s=21

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Mister Speaker posted:

oh boy i found the tire

I'm imagining that making a sort of wet slapping sound that increases in intensity and pitch as the engine revs up.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

That's because they are :ssh:

haveblue posted:

Those are fine because he's only putting himself and his own property at risk. Trying to knock down the museum or firing guns at airplanes is not the same thing and not cool or interesting.

The piece where visitors are knocking the gallery down is amazing actually. Shooting at the plane is lovely and boring though yes (edit: oh he used blanks, not lovely, but just boring then)

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 31, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

no no no see art is only the things people paint that hang in museums i never go to. you can't just call an experience art as though it were an invitation to reassess the fundamental assumptions one's worldview is based upon. that would cheapen the definition of the thing i don't understand and hate reflexively.

edit- art can only be done when it's either a talented poor person who dies at 30 or the post-retirement dabblings of an already rich fucker who bought a gallery.

you're defending shooting at an airplane

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They were probably too busy pearl-clutching to notice that part.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ixian posted:

They were probably too busy pearl-clutching to notice.

motherfuckers he used blanks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It worked for Brandon Lee.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

so loving what

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Oh, well in that case it's art you mean....

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
What is art, baby don't hurt me...and someone already cited the Cremaster Cycle, so lol, I guess the only thing left is Damien Hrist, who isn't really OSHA unless you've got questions about the vitrine fluid his dead sharks are floating in.

In OSHA content, I was once in a 3D art class in college when the guy across the bench from me had a Dremel cutting disc shatter and part of it ended up embedded in the left lens of my glasses. So that was fun. We did not get PPE after that, lol, and most of those dumbfucks in the program have nuked their lungs to death by using spray glue indoors and not in the spray booth.

Also, found object art is total bullshit. I literally raided a dumpster on the way to work and did something like the "tampon in a teacup" bit from Ghost World because gently caress found object art. (I got a B+.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I've been to the Militärhistorische museum but I don't remember seeing that sub there. It is an excellent museum with lots of military OSHA.

It's there all right

They also had military animals, among which was a goose (unsurprisingly) and a cat