Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I do night rides on my mountain bike sometimes, and animal eyes are creepy AF when lit up by my headlamp. Deer are beautiful creatures during the day, but nightmare fuel at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my apartment complex is often visited by deer in the parking lots (we're on the edge of a wooded area by the highway), and every time I see them from my car, my brain immediately goes "whoa those are some tall dogs"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Peanut Butler posted:

my apartment complex is often visited by deer in the parking lots (we're on the edge of a wooded area by the highway), and every time I see them from my car, my brain immediately goes "whoa those are some tall dogs"

About a decade ago now I took a road trip through darkest Canada. On two occassions I saw black bears by the highway, and both times my brain said "wow, big dog!"

Three small happy things:

On Sunday, out of the blue, I heard from a old friend who I hadn't been talking to for a few years. They wanted to make sure I was OK and apologized profusely for how they exited my circle of friends a few years ago. (Big drama, my friend has mental health problems (like me!) and had a big crash.)

They are doing ok though they apparently live in a dumb town that is throwing big parties, and as someone who already lives in a high state of anxiety she just wants to turn a firehose on them

Second happy thing: While not daily, Stephen Colbert and Seth Myers has started doing short things from home.

Third happy thing: Apparently Genene Piro did a show a bit drunk?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
When I was working retail I worked at a number of places like Target, Sears, and Whole Foods.

Whole Foods was by far the worst one.
Strike them into oblivion please.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

https://twitter.com/AndrewStuart/status/1244582927444426752
:3:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can go to pretty much any backyard in Australia, shine a torch on the lawn and it will light up just like that.

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/h0Qx8ct.mp4

Man, I generally do not have a problem with spiders, but this gif is giving me the heebie jeebies all over. There's just..... so many :stare:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Taffer posted:

Man, I generally do not have a problem with spiders, but this gif is giving me the heebie jeebies all over. There's just..... so many :stare:

:same:

They're not small, either. What is even feeding that many? :stare:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Unsinkabear posted:

:same:

They're not small, either. What is even feeding that many? :stare:

Australia has horrifying fauna.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
poison is the natural check & balance of Australia's ecosystem, that's why animals with thick hides and thick blood that get left there (like camels and wild boars) just endlessly reproduce with no natural enemies there. If a snake or a tarantula or a scorpion can't break your skin, you're basically immune to Australia.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Peanut Butler posted:

Everytime I see a deer, I think "I wonder if that gigantic animal with a brain the size of a walnut is gonna spook and run into me or my car", despite both being perfectly still.

The number of people I know that have been hit by deer is shocking.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Australia has horrifying fauna.

Bust Rodd posted:

poison is the natural check & balance of Australia's ecosystem, that's why animals with thick hides and thick blood that get left there (like camels and wild boars) just endlessly reproduce with no natural enemies there. If a snake or a tarantula or a scorpion can't break your skin, you're basically immune to Australia.

So, what, are they eating the freaking kangaroos? To sustain that many spiders of that size in Florida, every blade of grass in your yard would need to be entirely composed of ants.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Unsinkabear posted:

So, what, are they eating the freaking kangaroos? To sustain that many spiders of that size in Florida, every blade of grass in your yard would need to be entirely composed of ants.

the secret's out!! cheese it, gang!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Unsinkabear posted:

in florida they’d be feasting on the giant cockroaches

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

You need to remember that ants are also a bit bigger here

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Inceltown posted:

jesus! colonizing it was a mistake
https://youtu.be/4PYt0SDnrBE

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inceltown posted:

:gonk:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Italy's number of new cases is finally in decline :unsmith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
they’ve been saying that for like a week

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

It is not radical to say though that the curve is looking pretty good for Italy from here. Which is pretty barebones happiness, but still: there is some end in sight in the places worst hit.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Number of new cases in decline, or number of active cases in decline? If it's the former, it's good news, but not as good as it seems at first glance. It's still growing, just not as rapidly as before.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Inceltown posted:

what is this, a matchstick for ants?!?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Taffer posted:

Number of new cases in decline, or number of active cases in decline? If it's the former, it's good news, but not as good as it seems at first glance. It's still growing, just not as rapidly as before.

They're reporting the lowest number of new infections since March 17.

In other news, I hope everyone supports the brave workers on strike and don't cross the picket-line
https://twitter.com/CPDAction/status/1244651960327905281?s=20

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inceltown posted:

loving bull ants. Not dangerous, but their bite hurts like a bitch.

We had a colony at school which extended all the way to a nearby park. Every time the council sprayed them there, the ants would all come and infest the school.

Made playing footy on the quad a loving exercise in due diligence.

I love that other countries always refer to them as "bulldog" ants while having never heard a single person in Australia call them that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We had a colony at school which extended all the way to a nearby park. Every time the council sprayed them there, the ants would all come and infest the school.

I love that other countries always refer to them as "bulldog" ants while having never heard a single person in Australia call them that.

We called them bulljoes growing up but not sure how local that was.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I expect to see Ant-Man riding that goddamn thing. Jesus.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Inceltown posted:

We called them bulljoes growing up but not sure how local that was.

That's an odd name, I'd have called em chazzwazzas

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so there's a guy who wrote some opinion pieces for a think tank where he said "well actually, it isn't a pandemic". these articles convinced half the trump administration this whole thing wouldn't be a big deal. then he sat down for an interview, and *curb your enthusiasm theme starts playing*

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-contrarian-coronavirus-theory-that-informed-the-trump-administration

Epstein is now trying to simultaneously backpedal and double down: https://www.hoover.org/research/grim-costs-total-lockdowns
The comments are :discourse:

quote:

I wish I had your courage. I would not be using it for something this idiotic.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
leiningen needs to take a trip to australia

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I dunno if I'd agree with that second tweet, I've always heard they're very capricious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Samovar posted:

I dunno if I'd agree with that second tweet, I've always heard they're very capricious.

out. get out

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I got bit by this ant in Guatemala and it wasn't particularly big but for some reason it's bite hurts really really bad. I don't know if it was venomous or just weird jaws or what.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

pseudanonymous posted:

I got bit by this ant in Guatemala and it wasn't particularly big but for some reason it's bite hurts really really bad. I don't know if it was venomous or just weird jaws or what.

a leafcutter ant? they can bite through human skin

good news for the thread:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ymurad__/status/1245328330355871745/photo/1

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO “it wasn’t until rich people also started dying from easily preventable deaths that we really noticed how hosed up it was.”

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/bryan_leblanc/status/1245118409005809664

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

:byobear:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
edit: got tricked by an unfunny Letterman writer who deserves the gulag

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Apr 3, 2020

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

remove that fake news, it's only happy/funny if it's real

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Personal happy news

Was running low on food so made a trip to the grocery store and was making small talk with the butcher. Mentioned that I'm not really able to spend time with my partner because she's med and I don't want to get her sick so was just making her lots of nice food instead. He gave me a bunch of free meat and told me to let her know everyone is cheering for her and me doing what I can is awesome.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Inceltown posted:

Personal happy news

Was running low on food so made a trip to the grocery store and was making small talk with the butcher. Mentioned that I'm not really able to spend time with my partner because she's med and I don't want to get her sick so was just making her lots of nice food instead. He gave me a bunch of free meat and told me to let her know everyone is cheering for her and me doing what I can is awesome.

Kind people come from a lot of different backgrounds but one of my first real pushes towards leftism was when I chaired a food drive and I noticed that 70% of our donations came from poor and lower middle-class areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/jim_sheridan/status/1246003316557053953?s=21