Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

yikes! posted:

I played vic2 as haiti once while studying for an exam. Made it to secondary power status on the back of prestige and took this sweet screenshot on the way

Britain, Germany, Brazil and Greece teaming up to kick the Yanks' teeth in. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People say this all the time, but I feel like it's making some assumptions. Like "The player must always feel like they're getting stronger" or "The player must not feel like they're being punished for something they had no control over". OK, fair enough on the last part, but if you're up-front about starting in the Americas being hard mode, an apocalyptic adventure in statecraft, then I feel like you could actually make it enjoyable. Really lean into the apocalypse thing an make it a major regional feature, the progression from pre-contact Americas all the way to the post-apocalyptic remnants fighting off alien invaders.

Attila Total War is an excellent example of this. Empires are collapsing all around, the onslaught of the Huns and climate change eventually makes some regions unlivable, and even teching up can potentially crash your economy with new units you can't afford and it's all fun as heck. If it wasn't for the atrocious performance issues it'd be my favorite entry in the series.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gobblecoque posted:

Attila Total War is an excellent example of this. Empires are collapsing all around, the onslaught of the Huns and climate change eventually makes some regions unlivable, and even teching up can potentially crash your economy with new units you can't afford and it's all fun as heck. If it wasn't for the atrocious performance issues it'd be my favorite entry in the series.

Yeah, there's actually a ton of examples where as games go on, they get harder. Paradox fans brains are just poisoned from years of snowballing in EU2 AGCEEP runs.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gobblecoque posted:

And Stellaris gets endgame crisis.

The point is most of those apocalyptic events in EU4 are very hard to pull off. Attila is all about climate change and barbarian invasions, it's on the cover. Everyone deals with it. If you play as Ethiopia and want to experience those historical tribes migrating into your territory then paradox gives you some events that stir local trouble and switching culture instead of outright disrupting your rule. They could probably portray it as a disaster, but just like with plague what can you do to prevent it? Nothing. So it's not really a disaster, it's a possible inevitable historical event most plyers wouldn't hear off. Maybe devs should make a warning like "don't play or expand in this region before 1600, you'll get screwed by events, or play through this once and realize you can cheese it somehow"?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Also, it's true the apocalyptic events are bad gameplay. It wouldn't be fun to play the game normally and get slugged with an event ruining your countries when Europeans show up. But there's no reason that Paradox couldn't design engaging mechanics around the fall of Native American civilisation. As others in the thread have pointed out, other games have turned decay into interesting gameplay. And I think fighting to preserve your country against the literal apocalypse would be much more interesting than the EU4 Native experience, which is not substantially different to the rest of the game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

BBJoey posted:

Also, it's true the apocalyptic events are bad gameplay. It wouldn't be fun to play the game normally and get slugged with an event ruining your countries when Europeans show up. But there's no reason that Paradox couldn't design engaging mechanics around the fall of Native American civilisation. As others in the thread have pointed out, other games have turned decay into interesting gameplay. And I think fighting to preserve your country against the literal apocalypse would be much more interesting than the EU4 Native experience, which is not substantially different to the rest of the game.

Yeah, this is the point worth emphasizing. It can be made fun if Paradox invests in it being a different experience, rather than the same experience but with modifiers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BBJoey posted:

Beamed posted:

Yeah, this is the point worth emphasizing. It can be made fun if Paradox invests in it being a different experience, rather than the same experience but with modifiers.
Yeah, that's precisely what I mean. Trying to make the EU native experience interesting within the standard confines of EU gameplay seems like a fool's errand, because the historical flavor of that period is completely at odds with the standard gameplay of the franchise. Far better to accept that the Americas are a fundamentally different thing, and make playing them a unique and flavorful experience, rather than force them into a mold that just leaves them feeling like a cheap knockoff of the Old World originals.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that's precisely what I mean. Trying to make the EU native experience interesting within the standard confines of EU gameplay seems like a fool's errand, because the historical flavor of that period is completely at odds with the standard gameplay of the franchise. Far better to accept that the Americas are a fundamentally different thing, and make playing them a unique and flavorful experience, rather than force them into a mold that just leaves them feeling like a cheap knockoff of the Old World originals.

One positive aspect of social distancing is that I'm again motivated to do some more work on my native overhaul mod. I've gotten pretty close to filling up North America with tribes, added a CB so that they can actually take each other's land, and added slow feudalism gain in their capitals. I still need to add a way for them to actually embrace it. Then I need to add plague mechanics to model depopulation and free up some provinces so colonial nations can actually form. Getting the balance right will probably take a lot of playtesting so that Euros can make inroads but Natives will remain difficult but viable in a player's hands.

I'll probably release a beta once I finish filling up the continent at least. Maybe it will drum up enough interest so that people will help me create some flags for all these new tags.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Has anyone ever refunded from the Paradox store before? I bought a bunch of DLC in the current sale, but noticed I accidentally bought a few I already owned on steam while activating them. Requested a refund through Xsola, got it, but its for the whole thing instead of partial. What's going to happen to the DLC I already activated? Do they return it so I can buy it again or?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You are going to go to jail.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Beamed posted:

Victoria 2 if anything is proof that paradigm shifts can make for fun and interesting gameplay.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

The diplomatic incidents caused by paradox being a state corporation would be hilarious though.

Still thinking about that sabbat psy-op.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/1244383609697550340

Working on an EU4-Vicky 2 converter?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Working on a Vicky

fixed for hope

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Looks like it's using mine.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I wonder how the feeling is at Paradox corporate HQ regarding Bannerlord. Ending the publishing relationship probably made sense in 2014 and the years after when it looked like vaporware but it must be quite bittersweet after this massive release on Steam.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

I wonder how the feeling is at Paradox corporate HQ regarding Bannerlord. Ending the publishing relationship probably made sense in 2014 and the years after when it looked like vaporware but it must be quite bittersweet after this massive release on Steam.

I mean, how many staff were they paying for the last six years when they had very little income? Bannerlord can have an absolutely massive release and still make less money than you would expect because of how long the release was delayed for.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think if you told Paradox in 2014 this game will take another 6 years to finish but will be a hit when it does they would still pass.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I really want to know where Taleworlds got the money for that dev cycle from.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I really want to know where Taleworlds got the money for that dev cycle from.

Here's the thing, Warband's average player count goes up every year for the last 5 years. It's been selling steadily ever since release.

Here's thing two: Turkey is really cheap.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

I think if you told Paradox in 2014 this game will take another 6 years to finish but will be a hit when it does they would still pass.

Thought you were talking about HoI4 haha

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

kinda pointless, as they show in the very screenshot how unplayable it is with that fixed UI

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Imperator got an update. Now every religion has a set of deities you can actively worship for various effects. There are more than 300 of them, each has a couple of paragraphs of description.

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Religion#Deities_and_their_effects

Hope my point about how it's dumb to ask for "more content" in a game that already has too much "content" is a little easier to grasp now.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Imperator got an update. Now every religion has a set of deities you can actively worship for various effects. There are more than 300 of them, each has a couple of paragraphs of description.

Hope my point about how it's dumb to ask for "more content" in a game that already has too much "content" is a little easier to grasp now.

nah.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Pantheons as an active, evolving gameplay mechanic are actually a cool thing Imperator is trying, as much as I hate to say it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If my memories of EU2 and CK1 are anything to go by, Imperator 2 and Stellaris 3 are gonna be kickass after a few (dozen) DLCs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Imperator already is a sequel though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Drone posted:

Imperator already is a sequel though.

Remakes aren't sequels :v:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
then it's a crusader kings prequel

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Victoria Expanded Universe

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ilitarist posted:

So far the religion stuff is actually super cool so I don't know what you're talking about

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Beamed posted:

Pantheons as an active, evolving gameplay mechanic are actually a cool thing Imperator is trying, as much as I hate to say it.

Imperator has tons of game mechanics that are actually pretty cool, it's just that they're not enough to carry the rest of it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

That's definitely a fair assessment.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

So far the religion stuff is actually super cool so I don't know what you're talking about

Yeah I got some extra temple as Syracuse and now it's like worthless because I don't worship dumb Heracles! I guess gotta tear it down make everyone all mad and build a new dope one of War Athena.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I made a point of capturing Mount Olympus in my Sparta game so I could fully embrace Zeus and receive his blessing of "people not hating you for being a war mongering piece of poo poo"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm talking about fusion of ideas that I:R needs more content and that it somehow doesn't have enough "content". This religious update adds hundreds of gods you won't notice or read descriptions, but the real change is that pantheon play as additional customization for nations and links the religious system to the expansion. Having 300 deities is nice. It's also superfluous.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Most of the problems people cite with Imperator I feel the same way about EU4 with the main difference between the two being that Imperator has horrible UX issues that EU has mostly resolved but it also has significantly more interesting core gameplay. EU obviously has more subsystems layered on top of its core gameplay but these vary very heavily in level of quality and frequently just give you extra buttons to press without any interesting decisionmaking.

With that said the next EU patch sounds like it will fix or at least attempt to fix huge swathes of flaws in the game which is encouraging.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

RabidWeasel posted:

Most of the problems people cite with Imperator I feel the same way about EU4 with the main difference between the two being that Imperator has horrible UX issues that EU has mostly resolved but it also has significantly more interesting core gameplay. EU obviously has more subsystems layered on top of its core gameplay but these vary very heavily in level of quality and frequently just give you extra buttons to press without any interesting decisionmaking.

With that said the next EU patch sounds like it will fix or at least attempt to fix huge swathes of flaws in the game which is encouraging.

I have no idea how significant the naval combat changes will be in practice but it's nice that they are reworking naval stuff in EU4 considering how at the moment it is mostly annoying and terrible, despite naval power being a gigantic, fundemental element of the entire time period.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ilitarist posted:

I'm talking about fusion of ideas that I:R needs more content and that it somehow doesn't have enough "content". This religious update adds hundreds of gods you won't notice or read descriptions, but the real change is that pantheon play as additional customization for nations and links the religious system to the expansion. Having 300 deities is nice. It's also superfluous.

Having a decent selection of deities is necessary for there to be any customization at all and each religion needs their own set of them as well as some nations having specific local deities/deified rulers (Alexander only being available for those that control his tomb for example).

Imperator had no way to really differentiate nations before and now it does which required and increase in "content" in order for the game to give each religion their own "content". So of course I wont see most of the gods in most games but that doesnt really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Having a decent selection of deities is necessary for there to be any customization at all and each religion needs their own set of them as well as some nations having specific local deities/deified rulers (Alexander only being available for those that control his tomb for example).

Yeah, and if you actually take a look around the map you'll find a lot of places don't actually have that many gods. Go down to Arabia or Basque country and you'll find that there are some states that have only two options for each slot.

Besides, all these gods can't amount to more than a few KB of text. A pitiful amount of content :colbert: