Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

This wasn't misrepresented. Like the episode directly shows Joe using his mother as a shield.

yeah she said "I just signed the papers he put in front of me"

them trying to take her house was her impression of the situation, which I'm sure Joe encouraged

I definitely have zero fuckin sympathy for Joe and he deserves to be in prison for the way he treated his animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The main thing is that BCR doesn't treat their cats in an equivalent way to joe exotic in any way. The biggest being they do not, under any circumstances, breed them. As I said i cluldn't give a gently caress about Carol, most higher ups in big nonprofits are just as scummy as in the for-profit sector, but there is no equivalence to be drawn there. Netflix misrepresented the size of the enclosures, and the size of the crowds for sure, and they are an accredited sanctuary. Like they legit do good and important work for big cats including working to shut down cub petting and advocating against breeding white tigers and poo poo.

And now people are apparently showing up to harrass their volunteers, and they're definitely flooding comments of vids of their rehab bobcats (which are kept in smaller pens while recovering from injuries to just post 'cats in cages' and 'why don't you let them go' (it's... it's a rehab cat, it's GONNA be let go?).

BCR also claims their meat grinder is a hand meat grinder that can only handle one-inch cubes. Which obviously isn't verfiable by me but if so it's loving hilarious that Netflix showed a big old industrial meatgrinder. Since they misrepresented the enclosure size, it doesn't seem crazy that BCR is telling the trust about their meat grinder. Again, reality show level misrepresentation.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Mar 31, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I was all in on Carol being a good, if spacey, person. Then it came up she was with PETA and my bias-ometer went right back to neutral. Time for Ep2!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Know that the lady who was Don's assistant that they interview from the show was caught embezzling 600,000$ from BCR

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Also the cage at the big cat place that Joe Exotic shows is a small side box to put food and water in on a way bigger cage so people feeding them don't get bit. You see one in use during one of the Carol parts. Zoos, like real ones, not these sketchy private ones in the show, use those as well. It is not surprising to me that Joe Exotic doesn't know what a safety measure is considering his method of feeding is an open chute just big enough for a tiger to put its arm through.

Private zoos should be fully outlawed everywhere and even a lot of public city zoos should be closed. No one in the show is making the case for private exotic animal ownership, especially the people that are saying that it's a good thing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm sure the volunteers really do care about the animals, that is the whole premise of the scam

ghosthorse posted:

Private zoos should be fully outlawed everywhere and even a lot of public city zoos should be closed. No one in the show is making the case for private exotic animal ownership, especially the people that are saying that it's a good thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

BCR also claims their meat grinder is a hand meat grinder that can only handle one-inch cubes. Which obviously isn't verfiable by me but if so it's loving hilarious that Netflix showed a big old industrial meatgrinder. Since they misrepresented the enclosure size, it doesn't seem crazy that BCR is telling the trust about their meat grinder. Again, reality show level misrepresentation.
That was Joe's meat grinder. Hence him being there in the scene.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm trying to find sources posted that aren't correspondence with people I know from that world, though the BCR site is a good start. However, the Netflix doc is bullshit like a lot of them are; it's an entertainment product and they can and do lie. Hell, one of the most famous docs of the last 20 years--Supersize Me--was literally fake.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I agree. Those animals that cannot be returned to the wild should be cared for by the govt. Nonprofits universally exploit volunteers and must be cracked down on. The nonprofit industry is another capitalist scam. But in the world as it currently is, there is no equivalence between the way BCR treats their animals and what they do and Joe Exotic.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

That was Joe's meat grinder. Hence him being there in the scene.

Weren't they using it to imply Carol could have ground up her husband and fed him to the tigers? It seemed clear it was being implied that BCR had the capability to do that using the meat grinder shown on screen as a visual.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But among other things, you can just look at Google image search for people who have visited the place over the years and see what the enclosures are like there. There's really no question that Netflix lied or deeply misrepresented in at least a few key respects.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Weren't they using it to imply Carol could have ground up her husband and fed him to the tigers? It seemed clear it was being implied that BCR had the capability to do that using the meat grinder shown on screen as a visual.
They did it when Joe was giving his explanation and then cut to her saying that their meat grinder was hand sized. I'd say that's pretty clear cinematic language to get you into joe's headspace before revealing it was bullshit.

Pick posted:

But among other things, you can just look at Google image search for people who have visited the place over the years and see what the enclosures are like there. There's really no question that Netflix lied or deeply misrepresented in at least a few key respects.
Or just the aerial photography in the show itself showing that the enclosures were plenty big.

Like the Netflix show's biggest crime against BCR is that it expected it's viewers to actually watch and not take Joe's bullshit at face value due to how obviously craze he is, and then they let the primary representative of BCR be their obviously lovely boss woman.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

They did it when Joe was giving his explanation and then cut to her saying that their meat grinder was hand sized. I'd say that's pretty clear cinematic language to get you into joe's headspace before revealing it was bullshit.
Or just the aerial photography in the show itself showing that the enclosures were plenty big.

Like the Netflix show's biggest crime against BCR is that it expected it's viewers to actually watch and not take Joe's bullshit at face value due to how obviously craze he is, and then they let the primary representative of BCR be their obviously lovely boss woman.

"Carole's a cis het white woman who saw an underprivileged gay man doing exactly what she does and saw profit if she could get rid of him, hth"
"Carole's big cat enclosures are as bad as Joe's"

^^ I mean ppl itt who supposedly did watch it seem to have taken away the message that joe exotic and BCR are equivalent

They are all over BCR's socials as well.

I take your point, though, just sucks for the people who actually work and BCR and the good work they do for big cats that viewers are apparently eager to take this narrative away from 'tiger king'

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Mar 31, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think that's just a danger inherent in centering documentaries around individuals who present themselves as larger than life rather than the actual holistic organization. Cause BCR is run by someone who is just a very unpleasant person who is scummy in a very similar way to Jeff Lowe, the other main person antagonistic to Joe in the series. Even if her organization is self evidently better for the cats.

Though as people evidently have actual contact with BCR peeps. Do they actually not pay their workers? I wanna make sure that wasn't something taken out of context in the documentary. Cause all of the organizations present in Tiger King appeared use cult tactics to either get work for no compensation or basically slave wages. Even if none of the rest of them are as bad as Antle.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Though as people evidently have actual contact with BCR peeps. Do they actually not pay their workers? I wanna make sure that wasn't something taken out of context in the documentary. Cause all of the organizations present in Tiger King appeared use cult tactics to either get work for no compensation or basically slave wages. Even if none of the rest of them are as bad as Antle.

I don't have details on the structure, but they have both staff and volunteers. My friend who volunteers usually puts in hours on a few Saturdays per month. I'm not gonna say nonprofits are incapable of taking advantage of volunteers, I'm sure that can/does happen, but she does it for enjoyment because she likes being around the animals.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Okay it was just glossed over real quick with someone saying they weren't paid and someone else saying they spend every holiday there in the same episode. Which raises my exploiting workers flags.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

They did show Carole explaining the small feeding portion of the cage that Joe was complaining about, though there was basically a cut to it every time it transitioned to a scene at BCS

Carole, doc, and Joe are all sociopaths who use people's love for animals to exploit them and make a living, Joe was also just a meth head idiot from bumfuck Oklahoma

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Okay it was just glossed over real quick with someone saying they weren't paid and someone else saying they spend every holiday there in the same episode. Which raises my exploiting workers flags.

i have bad news for you about every nonprofit organization in america
it's a scummy industry built on exploiting people from the ground up and in a just world we'd break up every single one and make them publically owned
BCR is still not comparable to Joe Exotic or other 'roadside zoo' style animal hells

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
yeah I'm pretty sure the editorial narrative of using the least flattering footage and quotes because the people who spent five years researching animal abuses was thinking "gently caress all these people forever".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

i have bad news for you about every nonprofit organization in america
it's a scummy industry built on exploiting people from the ground up and in a just world we'd break up every single one and make them publically owned
BCR is still not comparable to Joe Exotic or other 'roadside zoo' style animal hells
not an empty quote

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
the main problem with outfits like joes is not that they are run by unpleasant people
it is that they contribute to illegal animal trade, breed captive tiger cubs and raise them in abusive conditions, and are basically animal torture farms for profit

the non-profit structure employed by BCR is exploitative and like every other institution under capital is corrupt and perpetuates and benefits from an unjust system

however they do NOT a) engage with illegal animal traders b) keep their animals in miserable conditions c) breed any of their animals for any reason OR d) perpetuate the idea that it is ok to cuddle tiger cubs or breed white tigers for human amusement

i ain't going to go to bat for their employment practices, which i both don't know a lot about and don't really think will be worth defending

please refer to my username for my opinon on explotative labor practice and the systems that perpetuate them

the ASPCA and humane societies likely are run by equally unpleasant people and exploit volunteer labor, but that doesn't make them the exact moral equivalent of a puppy mill

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Mar 31, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

and I'd say that showing BCR as basically only as lovely as most normal zoos was giving it a fair shake in the documentary. Especially compared to the outright criminal conditions animals were kept in at Joe's park. Viewers being taken in by Joe's charisma ain't exactly their fault.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
i guess i can't really argue with that!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
It's pretty wild to see people's reactions to all of this, because I listened to the Wondery podcast on it (I actually think I recommended it here once) some time ago and I actually thought that Carole came off better in the doc and I'm confused at how much more angry people are at her. Joe came off waaaay worse on the podcast.

Tiger King clearly tried to make Joe seem more endearing and harmless to have an engaging "maincharacter" but even then I think that a lot of people are projecting villainous traits on to Carole and Heroic ones on to Joe because they find him to be more charismatic.
It might have helped if the doc had shown that Joe is a cancer faking racist who starved housecats to death and most likely lied about his monumental suicide car crash attempt but oh well. It is kind of funny that Netflix has made Joe a celeb after that cringy "Dont gently caress With Cats" mess.

Lol and maybe they shouldn't have loving deadnamed and misgendered Saff while exploiting a traumatic moment in his life. Yeesh.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sarcopenia posted:

It's pretty wild to see people's reactions to all of this, because I listened to the Wondery podcast on it (I actually think I recommended it here once) some time ago and I actually thought that Carole came off better in the doc and I'm confused at how much more angry people are at her. Joe came off waaaay worse on the podcast.

Tiger King clearly tried to make Joe seem more endearing and harmless to have an engaging "maincharacter" but even then I think that a lot of people are projecting villainous traits on to Carole and Heroic ones on to Joe because they find him to be more charismatic.
It might have helped if the doc had shown that Joe is a cancer faking racist who starved housecats to death and most likely lied about his monumental suicide car crash attempt but oh well. It is kind of funny that Netflix has made Joe a celeb after that cringy "Dont gently caress With Cats" mess.

Lol and maybe they shouldn't have loving deadnamed and misgendered Saff while exploiting a traumatic moment in his life. Yeesh.

I think it is your need to pick a side that you are projecting onto everyone else

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hawowanlawow posted:

I think it is your need to pick a side that you are projecting onto everyone else

No, I see a lot of people doing this on Twitter and elsewhere. It’s a stupid trend but a visible one.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

hawowanlawow posted:

People absolutely pick sides all the time.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Joe Exotic is a piece of poo poo. Straight up. He might not be completely guilty for the murder for hire thing but the animal abuse he is definitely guilty of. He does not care about animals. He bred and sold tigers. When he bred too many, he shot and killed healthy older tigers to make room for the small ones that could be petted. He deserves prison. He ruined multiple people's lives, and it's a travesty that Netflix showed him in any sort of positive or charismatic light. He is neither of those things. He was an egomaniacal narcissist strung out on coke and meth, being paranoid about Baskin and PETA because he was doing shady poo poo. I say this from first hand experience: Joe is a void of a human being.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VanSandman posted:

People absolutely pick sides all the time.

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, I see a lot of people doing this on Twitter and elsewhere. It’s a stupid trend but a visible one.

yeah I thought they were talking about this thread but I see now they meant the internet in general

I never made a Twitter account and I never will lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So I just watched episode 3 and—uh, what business was the missing dude in, exactly? Because he’s supposed to be a multimillionaire, but nobody knows how many millions, he had a habit of hiding money, had an office in a trailer, a collection of exotic animals, took frequent trips to Costa Rica, flew planes literally under the radar with no license or flight plan—the only money-making activity they clearly identify was him sometimes exporting secondhand cars to Costa Rica? And his lawyer won’t say much but seems convinced that he was pushed out of an airplane over the Gulf of Mexico.

So he was running drugs, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

So I just watched episode 3 and—uh, what business was the missing dude in, exactly? Because he’s supposed to be a multimillionaire, but nobody knows how many millions, he had a habit of hiding money, had an office in a trailer, a collection of exotic animals, took frequent trips to Costa Rica, flew planes literally under the radar with no license or flight plan—the only money-making activity they clearly identify was him sometimes exporting secondhand cars to Costa Rica? And his lawyer won’t say much but seems convinced that he was pushed out of an airplane over the Gulf of Mexico.

So he was running drugs, right?

The big cat website goes over it. Among other things, apparently she did most of the work. It was real estate.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

In the show they do talk about "some of his properties"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Better be a good loving house if I’m going to drop a man out of a speeding airplane from fifty feet over the ocean and watch him skip like a stone, pssh, pssh, pssh, over and over tumbling before his mangled corpse finally slows down enough to sink. That’s not me doubting anyone, I just mean they must build them different in south Florida.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My vibe from the show is that Joe is a complete egotistical idiot who get high on his own hype and could be easily manipulated by others that would pump his ego (which is how he lost his zoo and possibly got into the whole idea of murder for hire idea and trying to make it a reality). He got played hard, but that doesn't make it that he wasn't a villain himself.
I know people picked sides and such but there were so many egos involved in the whole thing that it really came down to "who was the less lovely" for me, which was why I rooted for Carol's current husband (and weirdly enough the idiot libertarian campaign manager but that was more to do with him trying to wrap his idiot libertarian beliefs around the idea that someone like Joe even exists).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just can't believe there wasn't a single normal person in the entire show. Not a single one. Closest would be Saff, but dude decided to chop his arm off so he could get back to work to try and save Joe's business. That's some hosed up thinking all on it's own.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Well he definitely couldn't afford two years of reconstructive surgery

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure Joe's insurance would have cov.....oh.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Madkal posted:

My vibe from the show is that Joe is a complete egotistical idiot who get high on his own hype and could be easily manipulated by others that would pump his ego (which is how he lost his zoo and possibly got into the whole idea of murder for hire idea and trying to make it a reality). He got played hard, but that doesn't make it that he wasn't a villain himself.
I know people picked sides and such but there were so many egos involved in the whole thing that it really came down to "who was the less lovely" for me, which was why I rooted for Carol's current husband (and weirdly enough the idiot libertarian campaign manager but that was more to do with him trying to wrap his idiot libertarian beliefs around the idea that someone like Joe even exists).

I read this whole quote before realizing it wasn't about Joe Rogan. I also owned a Joe Exotic for Pres bumper sticker.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also Joe definitely burned down his own gator pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Untrustable posted:

Joe Exotic is a piece of poo poo. Straight up. He might not be completely guilty for the murder for hire thing but the animal abuse he is definitely guilty of. He does not care about animals. He bred and sold tigers. When he bred too many, he shot and killed healthy older tigers to make room for the small ones that could be petted. He deserves prison. He ruined multiple people's lives, and it's a travesty that Netflix showed him in any sort of positive or charismatic light. He is neither of those things. He was an egomaniacal narcissist strung out on coke and meth, being paranoid about Baskin and PETA because he was doing shady poo poo. I say this from first hand experience: Joe is a void of a human being.

Agreed.

I don't think you can help his appearance as charismatic. He has survived by relying on it and he is well aware of how to manipulate people.

I don't think the doc showed him in a positive light. They showed every messed up thing he did. They showed how much he contradicted himself.

But giving a narcissist a platform is almost a problem.

All those people seriously deserve prison.