Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

But there were so many words! How could you concentrate on the blood and tits when all those words were in the way? They didn't even have cool cyborg mercenaries with big guns to look at while you waited for the blood and tits to show up! You might as well go right to the source and get a comic without things like "story" or "characterization" getting in the way.

This man gets it.

Anecdotally I grew up in a country where the one comic shop was very far away from where I lived so I had to depend on the local new agents for my comic fix, and all they carried was about 5 DC comics and 5 Marvel comics so the Image books were like the holy grail. I had one friend who managed to get to the comic shop on a regular basis (and spend about 3x the cost of the comics at the the news agent), get the Image comics (Spawn was his favourite) and some silly Chaos comics (remember Evil Ernie and Lady Death) and then pass the comics around the school yard. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm watching a lot of normal people freak the gently caress out about a batman AU involving Martha being from Hong Kong wealth and the real force behind Wayne Enterprises and it's the typical "OMG WHAT BUT IN ISSUE 75 IN 1995 THEY SAID WAYNE ENTERPRISES HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE THE 20'S THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO REAL FANS" from people who don't understand what 'AU' means, and of course the normal racism (though they weirdly can't settle between 'lol china batman corona racism I'm so loving angry at seeing a woman on my comic page too' and 'lol sjws don't even think asians are real minorities so somehow this means we owned them but I'm ALSO so loving angry at seeing a woman on my comic page')

It can be summed up best by this response though

https://twitter.com/RuprechtMartin/status/1244664623351173125

'an AU where Superman is Amish? That's fine, but an AU where half of Batman's family comes from China?! THIS IS JUST ABSURD FANTASY!!!!'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I'm watching a lot of normal people freak the gently caress out about a batman AU involving Martha being from Hong Kong wealth and the real force behind Wayne Enterprises and it's the typical "OMG WHAT BUT IN ISSUE 75 IN 1995 THEY SAID WAYNE ENTERPRISES HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE THE 20'S THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO REAL FANS" from people who don't understand what 'AU' means, and of course the normal racism (though they weirdly can't settle between 'lol china batman corona racism I'm so loving angry at seeing a woman on my comic page too' and 'lol sjws don't even think asians are real minorities so somehow this means we owned them but I'm ALSO so loving angry at seeing a woman on my comic page')

'an AU where Superman is Amish? That's fine, but an AU where half of Batman's family comes from China?! THIS IS JUST ABSURD FANTASY!!!!'

... They are aware that "(character) but from (country/time/place)" is a super common Elseworld, right?

Like loving hell Japanese Spider Man.

and even if you're just counting "the same named character" there are no shortage of examples because Elseworlds/What ifs get way out there sometimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

... They are aware that "(character) but from (country/time/place)" is a super common Elseworld, right?

and even if you're just counting "the same named character" there are no shortage of examples because Elseworlds/What ifs get way out there sometimes.

yea it's pretty great to see the simultaneous 'ugh if this SJW trash was a REAL fan they'd know 20 years ago mainline Batman made it canon that THOMAS Wayne's company had been active since the early 20th century, ergo this AU is pandering trash and part of the vast conspiracy to make Batman Asian' and the coy faux ignorance that 'what if (hero) was (different background)' is like the bread and butter of comic AUs in general.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why couldn't Martha Wayne's Hong Kong-derived fortune predated the 1920s? Do they think Hong Kong was punched into existence in 1960 by Bruce Lee?

e: This just in: They're dumbass racists! Well that does explain a few things.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Comicsgate people don't actually have an era they're attached to outside of a nebulous period where all the chatacters had their mosg iconic costumes and stories all at once because they don't actuallt care about comics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Comicsgate people don't actually have an era they're attached to outside of a nebulous period where all the chatacters had their mosg iconic costumes and stories all at once because they don't actuallt care about comics.

Honestly this is hard to argue with. Most of them seem to have almost no knowledge of comics outside of what they can gather from a five second wikipedia read.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly this is hard to argue with. Most of them seem to have almost no knowledge of comics outside of what they can gather from a five second wikipedia read.

That's because a non-trivial number of them are would-be culture warriors running a bunch of sock-puppet accounts. It's not actually about the comics at all; it's just about the need to get people angry at anyone left of Nixon.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Didn’t DC reset their canon like ten years ago anyways or did they unreset at some point.

This is like somebody getting mad that Tony Stark built the Iron Man mk 1 in Afghanistan now instead of somewhere in Vietnam

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Internet Wizard posted:

Didn’t DC reset their canon like ten years ago anyways or did they unreset at some point.

This is like somebody getting mad that Tony Stark built the Iron Man mk 1 in Afghanistan now instead of somewhere in Vietnam

Reset in 2011 except where they didn't feel like resetting, and then unreset in 2016 except where they didn't feel like unresetting.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ImpAtom posted:

I know they're not Peter, but aren't two of the most successful characters right now "Spiderman but black or a woman?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anora posted:

I know they're not Peter, but aren't two of the most successful characters right now "Spiderman but black or a woman?"

The (easily) best Spider-Man movie is the one starring Black Spider-Man with special guest stars Woman Spider-Man and fat schlubby Spider-Man.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I thought Miles is half black half Puerto Rican for bonus representation

Miles rules, for the record

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember when it was rumored he was going to be gay as well?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anora posted:

And the movie they were in had the literal theme of "anyone can be Spider-Man."

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

sexpig by night posted:

Good thing Superman: Red Son came out 15 years ago instead of now or we'd never heard the end of them whinging how it's trying to push communism on readers. Especially with how it ends with a worldwide government being formed based on Russia Superman's ideals and bringing Earth into a utopia

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Remember when it was rumored he was going to be gay as well?

I didn't remember that. Didn't they sort of put him together with Gwen in the comics for a while?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Good thing Superman: Red Son came out 15 years ago instead of now or we'd never heard the end of them whinging how it's trying to push communism on readers. Especially with how it ends with a worldwide government being formed based on Russia Superman's ideals and bringing Earth into a utopia

Not to mention that Krypton is future Earth, and Superman is the ultimate descendant of Lex Luthor. So even the concept of capitalism is evil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't remember that. Didn't they sort of put him together with Gwen in the comics for a while?

https://www.rawstory.com/2011/08/beck-blames-michelle-obama-for-new-bi-racial-spider-man/

He does hook up with Spider-Gwen for a minute

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I have a Glenn Beck headache. All art is intentional you absolute goof.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Now I have a Glenn Beck headache. All art is intentional you absolute goof.

The best part is he came up with the gay part all on his own. He just assumed because it was the most offensive thing to him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/1245053200387854336

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apparently that's their sixteenth campaign? Interesting business practise.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bendis said he ranks Miles being talked about on Glenn Beck as his third greatest accomplishment behind his wife and kids. Did you know that Michelle Obama forced Marvel to create a biracial Spider-Man?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I forget how EVS tried to spin getting to do a Dynamtie cover via IGG but it was pretty hilarious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Bendis said he ranks Miles being talked about on Glenn Beck as his third greatest accomplishment behind his wife and kids. Did you know that Michelle Obama forced Marvel to create a biracial Spider-Man?

Being given a mission to destroy America directly by Michelle Obama would be one of my proudest accomplishments too.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skwirl posted:

Being given a mission to destroy America directly by Michelle Obama would be one of my proudest accomplishments too.

You haven't checked dead drop 42-Charlie-Niner lately, Comrade. Let your revolutionary fervor not be diminished by the demands of deep cover. Authenticate: F-Sharp Bell

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I forget how EVS tried to spin getting to do a Dynamtie cover via IGG but it was pretty hilarious.

The folks at Dynamite themselves are super loving shady. One of them recently said that SJWs and minorities are killing the comic book industry.

Not to mention that they paired up Christopher Priest with a 'Gator cover artist and well:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Google turns up nothing but there was some con chatter years ago that the head Dynamite guy threatened legal action to Mike Turners mother over his last remaining unpublished work because he claimed he and Turner had a handshake deal over the pages. It's likely far more complicated but as far as I can see that work still hasn't been published anywhere.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Anyone more familiar with the industry side of things have a take on this?

https://www.cbr.com/covid-19-diamond-shutdown-comichub-temporary-distribution/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rich Johnston has an article on Bleeding Cool about EVS and it almost ends with fellatio.

"None of this is new aside from the mean streak. Ethan Van Sciver is a very talented and successful comics creator with a business brain, a mobilised outraged fanbase, enviable success, monetising it as many have before, and bringing a number of his friends along with him. I wish him success and am pleased that he found a way to achieve it without reliance on comic book publishers. It doesn't actually have to always be done while cocking a snook at everyone else around you. As Miller has learned, you can fall off that friend list very quickly."

That's Ethan's problem. If only he wasn't so spirited!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't read Bleeding Cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rich Johnston laying heaps of praise on king chud.

This is my surprised face.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

a mobilised outraged fanbase, enviable success,

yeah I too want to have no deadlines and have sycophants pour money at me anyway

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wait, is Bendis his own stepfather or are we talking about an Armitage the Third situation here?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I assume it's
1) [Meeting and Marrying] His Wife
2) [Adopting/Raising] His Kids
3) [Creating Miles Morales and] Getting Insulted by Glenn Beck

And mea culpa, I looked it up and the Bendises have four children, two biological and two adopted, so go ahead and extend the brackets for #2 to accommodate that.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 2, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SoftNum posted:

yeah I too want to have no deadlines and have sycophants pour money at me anyway

I did like Ethan cites that CG's durability comes from publishing one or two oversized comics a year. That's how you do it! Volume!

(If you're lucky.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 2, 2020

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rhyno posted:

Rich Johnston laying heaps of praise on king chud.

This is my surprised face.

Rich also put Renfamous on the list of most influential comicspeople, setting the entire alt-right/comicsgate sphere aflame. Let's not start attacking the people on our own side everytime they show the slightest flaw

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is rich...on our side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

site posted:

is rich...on our side

Rich is on the side of "whatever gets him the most clicks"