Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

I wish horikoshi was inspired by comic book choreography that’s possible to follow with human eyes

Orrr... what if he did this instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
That’s gonna happen in about 5 chapters when the rat principle makes his last stand

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

That’s gonna happen in about 5 chapters when the rat principle makes his last stand

gently caress, I don't have the tea gif ready.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We never saw it coming

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oh jay posted:

The anime had Deku literally flying so I'm not inclined to believe it's accuracy.

For me, panel 3 has him prepping a punch with his left hand, and him visibly closer in the final panel.

Either way, the next page has Deku admitted that the spikes would have gotten him if not for his iron soles, which is kinda the same as saying the instakill would have gotten him if not for the spikes.

He's not closer, and he's not preping a punch from looking at that image. Overhaul could not get him with the insta kill cause he was not within reach.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

oh jay posted:

I get that. And looking back at the manga, it looks like he managed one good "double jump" mid air to change direction. This is completely different from his doing a smooth orbit in the anime as Overhaul monologues.

The anime really likes to amp up how much air control our heroes have. See: The rescue Bakugou plan, which involves him using his quirk to rocket three city blocks to Kirishima's outstretched arm.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

The anime really likes to amp up how much air control our heroes have. See: The rescue Bakugou plan, which involves him using his quirk to rocket three city blocks to Kirishima's outstretched arm.

I hated that scene. It breaks your emersion, because it makes it seem like he could have flown away at any time.

Sure you can say that he wasn't trying to run up until he saw his classmates, but naw, he kinda was already.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

oh jay posted:

Orrr... what if he did this instead?

Thanks I hate it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

oh jay posted:

I hated that scene. It breaks your emersion, because it makes it seem like he could have flown away at any time.

Sure you can say that he wasn't trying to run up until he saw his classmates, but naw, he kinda was already.

Imagine a show you're watching having Yutaka Nakamura guesting an action sequence and being all "well you know, my immersion"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It seems to me like that scene is saying he could’ve always gone that far, but without a safe place to reach it wouldn’t have mattered so he stayed and tried to escape without throwing himself into a potentially worse situation.

Also he’s following the other kids who are going in the same direction so they all get way further than he on his own could, and it nearly fails if not for Mt Lady doing a cool thing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eej posted:

Imagine a show you're watching having Yutaka Nakamura guesting an action sequence and being all "well you know, my immersion"

It did not feel like an action sequence in the slightest. Even my first impression was, "these camera angles seems really over-the-top what is basically Bakugo jumping."

Then a week or so later, I was resenting how static the AfO vs All Might fight was comparatively.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm only a casual MHA fan but I saw this doujin someone started and posted on mangadex and it seems kinda interesting so far.

https://mangadex.org/title/46430/boku-no-hero-academia-h-2-zero-doujinshi

Maybe it'll be terrible, who knows!!!
First two chapters are interesting enough. Of course MC turns to Crime, the person who wrote this is channeling Hori very strongly on this one

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Every edit in this thread kills me :hb:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Good thing Midoriya and Co. showed up to save him. He definitely couldn't have gotten out of there on his own with his ability to jump over half of the city.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
He just got a power boost through the power of friendship.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Vonnie posted:

He just got a power boost through the power of friendship.

He saw Kirishima and suddenly his palms where sweating more than usual, weird.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Light as a feather, stiff as a board.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Good thing Midoriya and Co. showed up to save him. He definitely couldn't have gotten out of there on his own with his ability to jump over half of the city.

IIRC wasn't Magne like seconds away from re-capturing him if the rest of the kids hadn't done anything

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
It was a good scene signifying an important emotional moment that shows off the connection between Bakugo and Kirishima as well as the success of the non-violent rescue mission. The studio spent its time and efforts well in giving it a bit of extra flair through wonderful animation and the anime is consistently better than the manga for it (which sometimes has incomprehensible and hard to follow action). The cinematography and direction were on point.
Super powers and a characters lack of knowledge to use them to their logical extremes, trivializing any and all opposition, will always be stupid, but that's an issue with the genre, not with the direction of this scene.

The anime series is stronger for knowing to place as much importance on some of its emotional moments as it does for some action scenes. Some action might end up lackluster as a result, but some of the action isn't really all that important.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

It was a good scene signifying an important emotional moment that shows off the connection between Bakugo and Kirishima as well as the success of the non-violent rescue mission. The studio spent its time and efforts well in giving it a bit of extra flair through wonderful animation and the anime is consistently better than the manga for it (which sometimes has incomprehensible and hard to follow action). The cinematography and direction were on point.
Super powers and a characters lack of knowledge to use them to their logical extremes, trivializing any and all opposition, will always be stupid, but that's an issue with the genre, not with the direction of this scene.

The anime series is stronger for knowing to place as much importance on some of its emotional moments as it does for some action scenes. Some action might end up lackluster as a result, but some of the action isn't really all that important.

I would actually disagree that the anime is "consistently better" than the manga. It is generally good because the manga is so good, but I could probably count on one hand sequences I think they improved to the point that I would rather rewatch it than reread it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

I would actually disagree that the anime is "consistently better" than the manga. It is generally good because the manga is so good, but I could probably count on one hand sequences I think they improved to the point that I would rather rewatch it than reread it.

All Might vs Nomu... ... Suneater vs the trash brothers. 100% Deku vs Overhaul (except for that one really cool spread, you know the one I'm talking about). And... Yeah, that's about it I think.

Do the anime-only scenes like Froppy's job training count?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah if the anime takes liberties once in a while (like bakugo rescue) I don't mind because they typically look loving awesome and are pleasing to watch. I love it when shows have the guest animators come on and do cool poo poo (yes I loved the Naruto/pain fight).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Deku vs Todoroki came out amazing in animation as well, not that the manga was bad, but seeing it in motion was great.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I'm way more invested in these villains than I ever was in the heroes, at this point.

Like... wow.

Except Dabi, whom I hope I will eventually care about.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlestonJew posted:

IIRC wasn't Magne like seconds away from re-capturing him if the rest of the kids hadn't done anything

Yes and the other villains could have just chased him down but it's very hard to remember facts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They could have immediately teleported and recaptured him, until the moment all might showed up they're plan wouldn't have worked and neither would his solo escape. It wasn't well conveyed in either medium but that can be extrapolated.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes and the other villains could have just chased him down but it's very hard to remember facts.

The villains' inability to get him had nothing to do with the kids. It was Mt Lady and Gran Torino, but it's very hard to remember facts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

oh jay posted:

The villains' inability to get him had nothing to do with the kids. It was Mt Lady and Gran Torino, but it's very hard to remember facts.

Yeah he got away safely to a combination of the kids and the pros. It's why All Might specifically thanks them for getting bakugo out so he could go all out fighting AFO.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah he got away safely to a combination of the kids and the pros. It's why All Might specifically thanks them for getting bakugo out so he could go all out fighting AFO.

Yes, that is very clear in the Manga. The argument is that in the anime it looks like, even if the kids weren't there, he could have rocketed 4 city blocks away on his own. He was even barely clearing the tops of buildings so he would have disappeared into the skyline quickly and Magne wouldn't have had an angle to shoot Mr Compress at him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah if the anime takes liberties once in a while (like bakugo rescue) I don't mind because they typically look loving awesome and are pleasing to watch. I love it when shows have the guest animators come on and do cool poo poo (yes I loved the Naruto/pain fight).

It's depressing that even in this day and age of sakuga that people still think the guest animators with styles radically different from the regular anime scenes are "bad".

Even in this thread people are complaining about Yutapon's Bakugo escape scene because they get so fixated on the logistics of it and can't actually appreciate the animation for what it is. I've seen people complaining about Deku "flying" in the Overhaul fight too and I'm just sitting here like

https://i.imgur.com/v8Fjtqw.gifv

seriously you're complaining about this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like the scene from that gif, I don't really like Bakugo flying.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eej posted:

Even in this thread people are complaining about Yutapon's Bakugo escape scene because they get so fixated on the logistics of it and can't actually appreciate the animation for what it is. I've seen people complaining about Deku "flying" in the Overhaul fight too and I'm just sitting here like
Taking liberties with a scene is all well and good. But if it causes viewers to question the rules of a moment or the series itself it's not always for the best that it got made flashier or more bombastic. I remember not liking the 2011 HxH anime for making a character create a baseball field sized crater from his strongest attack, when in the manga he only made a hole maybe 3 times his width. Screws with the logic of how strong he actually was which is a problem in a later scene when I'm then supposed to believe that another character only got off with a broken arm from that same punch.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Not flying, jump good.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Arist posted:

I like the scene from that gif, I don't really like Bakugo flying.

That part of the scene is just good. They should have just had Overhaul's flashback/monologue without cutting to Deku's orbiting flight. Then it would have been good all around. But I guess it helps pad out the episode or something.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Whose idea was it to blow the once a season 30 seconds of good animation on Bakugo jumping and not All Might vs AFO

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ryaomon posted:

Whose idea was it to blow the once a season 30 seconds of good animation on Bakugo jumping and not All Might vs AFO

The fight is fine and All Might's United States of Smash is amazingly animated so I don't really see the problem.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ryaomon posted:

But also

https://i.imgur.com/jHJkxys.gifv

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The problem (if there is one at all) with the AFO vs All-Might fight isn't the animation budget or effort spent on it.
The problem is the rather dull and unimaginative fight choreography of the manga, which was faithfully adapted. He just punches a few times with super strength, that's it.

I can't really think of anything important in that fight that was lackluster and would have needed a touch-up.

I enjoy spectacle as much as everyone else, but artists need to eat and sleep and I'd rather they spend their efforts on significant moments. If we want them to divert from the source material then that is also fine. As stated I tend to consider the anime to be better quite frequently, partially due to its diversions or embellishment of the source material. Like the tournament or the fights against the teachers, some of which just ended up being a few panels in the manga.
But the fight between AFO and All-Might doesn't really need anything, does it?

What's the issue with that fight and its animation? I thought people liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

The problem (if there is one at all) with the AFO vs All-Might fight isn't the animation budget or effort spent on it.
The problem is the rather dull and unimaginative fight choreography of the manga, which was faithfully adapted. He just punches a few times with super strength, that's it.

I can't really think of anything important in that fight that was lackluster and would have needed a touch-up.

I enjoy spectacle as much as everyone else, but artists need to eat and sleep and I'd rather they spend their efforts on significant moments. If we want them to divert from the source material then that is also fine. As stated I tend to consider the anime to be better quite frequently, partially due to its diversions or embellishment of the source material. Like the tournament or the fights against the teachers, some of which just ended up being a few panels in the manga.
But the fight between AFO and All-Might doesn't really need anything, does it?

What's the issue with that fight and its animation? I thought people liked it.

When I heard they were going jazz up a little bit of that episode, I assumed they were going to animate the rough-tumble brawl that was happening between AfO and All Might in the background while Bakugo was evading, and the kids were scheming. I was gobsmacked when it was the jump.