Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the melee combat in this game is a bit tame compared to Mordhau?

What's the point of sweatlord grade combat physics when it's 200v200 in an open field, or guys just getting smacked while trying to climb a ladder, or armies of all cavalry etc. Or what about if you just want to be a general but never get your hands dirty? Or play as a trader? Mordhau is a distinctly different style of game and its combat physics reflect that.

I'm glad I don't have to practice chambering and feinting and running numbers on spreadsheets to enjoy Mount and Blade.

I do like Mordhau but comparing the two feels pointless.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Plus, while I also like the complexity of Mordhau melee combat, there's some parts of M&B combat that are more complex such as the physics based damage and the way you won't oneshot someone with a spear if they're hugging you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

About the only time I can fight is if I'm in a siege and our guys have mostly taken the wall and I can get behind them with a big long axe or a pike and just poke people over their heads.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the melee combat in this game is a bit tame compared to Mordhau?

I was comparing to Kingdom Come earlier and this is definitely more forgiving than that at least. Like in KCD, you really really have to practice the combat system to just not die to a peasant attacking you with a piece of wood.

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of people really never played with directional blocking in Mount and Blade before and suddenly they all have to learn it at once.

In theory you could not even know it exists under a lot of circumstances if you just played with it off. Hell, you could barely understand how the AI blocking worked if you were just an Archer or prioritized using weapons with "smash through blocks" traits.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

At first I struggled with how to balance doing the main quest against being part of a faction and making money to support my 50+ army, because when you're paying 200+ gold per day you really need to be constantly raiding caravans and towns.

So I saved up about 12k and then left the faction to wander the world to finish that quest, and now I've got 8/10 of the nobles and I'm working on hunting down the last two. I wish the quest told me who I'm looking for, oh well. I guess it's down to process of elimination by faction.

if you talk to nobles (actual nobles) to ask them about it they'll tell you "well so and so might know" and then you can gradually zone in on their location by the encyclopedia.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Bulling Vlandians with a mostly infantry Empire party is great and works because the archer circle formation fits exactly inside the infantry circle formation

I wish I had this for the Rhodoks I used to roll with in Warband

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vlandians seem like they're kind of successor rhodoks with crossbows and pikes.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
It's just not quite the same now that they're smushed in with the Swadians and the aesthetic is back in time a few hundred years. I was happy to learn that unlike in multiplayer the Empire has crossbow sergeants though and that's scratching the itch right now

e: New patch is up!

"Taleworlds posted:

Versions
Native: e1.0.0
SandboxCore: e1.0.1
Sandbox: e1.0.1
Storymode: e1.0.1
CustomBattle: e1.0.1

Fixed a rare crash when opening the multiplayer team selection screen.
Fixed a crash caused by timeout for the Army of Poachers quest.
Fixed a crash that occurred when failing Army of Poachers quest without fighting.
Fixed a crash caused by the Gang Leader Needs Weapons daily issue creation.
Fixed a crash caused by the Bounty Hunters quest success and fail consequences.
Fixed a rare crash that occurs when talking to common area thugs.
Fixed a crash that occurred when talking with village notables to get a quest.
Fixed a rare conversation freeze when following an NPC to find a quest hero.
Fixed a crash that occurred after clearing the Rival Gang quest.
Corrected the weapons of some ranged units.
Some troops that were using noble tier weapons received more appropriate equipment.
Some weapon parts' crafting material costs were fixed.
Some minor equipment changes for Aserai, Battania, and Khuzait troops.
Fixed a crash that occurred when helping an allied party that is besieging a settlement.
Fixed a crash that occurred when helping an allied party that is getting attacked while besieging enemy settlement.
A rare crash caused by AI clans joining kingdoms as mercenaries has been fixed.
Fixed a problem that locked the player in a conversation after asking a villager to take you to a character.
Fixed a crash with the quest Lord Needs Garrison Troops that occurred for some Vlandian castles.
Fixed a rare crash that occurred when talking to people (townsmen, townswomen, child, infant) in towns and villages.
Fixed a crash that occurred when running out of stamina while crafting charcoal.
Fixed a crash caused by the Rival Gang quest. If this quest was done before, there is a chance your save is already broken. Future errors are fixed.
Unintended consequences for clans that leave their kingdoms have been removed.
Players will now be able to make peace with minor faction lords through barter, saving them from a soft-lock to join kingdoms.
Siege tactic default weapons have changed.
Capped daily workshop income at 200.
Clan tier maximum party size bonus formula has changed.
Fixed some of the crashes after launching and on scene entry.
Fixed the infinite loading issue with some scenes.
Fixed a crash when switching options to low or very low.
Fixed an issue with the crash uploader.

Please note: You can roll back to the previous version by using the beta tab in the Steam game properties window.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 31, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason nobody seems to use pike infantry which is really weird given that 1. horses are massively more powerful now and 2. spears are massively good against horses cos they stop them dead with a poke.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
If there's one thing from Mordhau I wish was in M&B it's the billhook because dragging people off their horses is never not amusing to me.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The game already has a simplistic combat system, I didn't think so many people liked playing it on an even easier mode.

I play games like this because I want to charge around pretty scenery on a horse and imagine I'm a medieval warrior. My ability to imagine this is spoilt when I can't even move my shield sideways. Difficulty sucks, especially when it's just 'can you move fingers on modern device quickly', not anything to do with the game content.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So far I’ve gotten a lot better at the melee combat but tapping the mouse in the direction I wanna attack with, then holding down LMB to charge the attack. It really is like a rhythm game in a sense.

I haven’t had to worry about being precise with the shield as much, as long as it meets the business end of the enemy’s weapon before it hits you you’ll be fine.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just reall really want to be able to hold down block and then choose the direction. Am I in a corona fever dream or was that not how manual block worked in the first games?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can you just not craft axes? I can make other stuff but it tells me I don't have all the components when I try to make an axe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Can you just not craft axes? I can make other stuff but it tells me I don't have all the components when I try to make an axe.

I think that there might be a bug where you need to unlock new parts before you can, it doesn't seem to recognize the ones you start with.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I've literally never played a character who didn't use a shield so I can leave directional blocking on to get to sweet spot at 78% difficulty in Warband., as an aside directional blocking in this with a shield doesn't also blocks wherever you move the shield to block, just generally not the opposite direction. I don't think I understand how to fight dudes beyond wait for them to hit your shield (now with directional blocking!) and then hit them back though. Jukin' and jivin' behind trees while poppin shots too, that's fun.

Are you guys who say it's like Warband MP players or something though? the combat feels way different, even if the animations are similar. Even at 1/3rd damage to your character it's hard not to die all the time, and the guy who mentioned archers leading you now is right on. I've totally been relying on that to draw fire from my main force and do little raids into archer lines in my games and even vs. forest bandits they just shoot your mount and also you and you're lucky to get among them without taking a lot of damage and even then they're way better at not getting hit and hitting you back.

Haven't made it too far yet, just like level 5 so I'm reserving judgment but so far it seems like there's a shift from killing a bunch of random mobs for your starting xp to doing quests mainly? It just feels like it takes forever to level guys and god I hope the medicine perks are good because surgery may have been broken but it made high level stacks viable. I will say that I do not appreciate having to spend hours catching up to random group of looters even with like 10 horses in my inventory and +10% campaign movement set.

Edit: I would also appreciate if I didn't have to load a city and then load back into the world map every time I want to talk to someone.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 31, 2020

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So there is no way to cross bodies of water without bridges etc right? This makes the war that Sturgia and Vlandia have impossible to happen because neither sides AI seems to leave its terretory and travel through Battania.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

So far game is immensely enjoyable! I just wish they didn't put cheat engine protection in for character screen, just let me play Bannerlord version of "1000 stat man" you jerks :argh:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

alex314 posted:

So far game is immensely enjoyable! I just wish they didn't put cheat engine protection in for character screen, just let me play Bannerlord version of "1000 stat man" you jerks :argh:

Warband had a thing where you could export your character to a text file and then edit your stats. Is there no Bannerlord equivalent? I liked doing that too tbh

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, you can still cheat somewhat with the game's cheat mode. (Gotta go mess with an .ini file and change cheat_mode =0 to 1) You can only really do ctrl+h to heal yourself and ctrl+f4 to slap a few dudes with blunt damage.

Oh, and opening your inventory screen lets you take every item in the game if you want. It's kinda weird.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ixtlilton posted:

I will say that I do not appreciate having to spend hours catching up to random group of looters even with like 10 horses in my inventory

Are those pack horses or actual mounts? IIRC there is a difference.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do we have any monster factory character creation results yet?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Warband had a thing where you could export your character to a text file and then edit your stats. Is there no Bannerlord equivalent? I liked doing that too tbh

I hope that comes eventually. I made a good "starter" character to import when I wanted a game but wanted to skip the early grind.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are those pack horses or actual mounts? IIRC there is a difference.

idk, some random horses I picked up because I heard you needed horses to go fast. Do mules help? I have some mules.

Also I'm curious if anyone's gotten far enough that they kinda have a feel for gameflow? Like in Warband there was a clear plan for me where it was get a full group of dudes -> get them leveled enough to take on sea raiders -> get gear and wander the map murdering and picking up heroes for a month or so -> join a faction -> take a city -> work towards poo poo tons of honor throughout so you can plan your rebellion. Obviously I don't expect beyond the first few of those but I'm genuinely curious if it still goes level up dudes then go sea raiders and if so how.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Pharnakes posted:

I just reall really want to be able to hold down block and then choose the direction. Am I in a corona fever dream or was that not how manual block worked in the first games?

It's the corona. For blocking direction you should start by moving your mouse cleanly in the direction then pressing block during that movement. If you made a mistake, you can flick the mouse again and release + repress the block button quickly to change it. For a basic practice try cycling through your blocks in a set pattern like left block -> right block -> up block -> down block (repeat forever). It should get you up to speed pretty quickly.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Since tournaments/arena melee don't give you proficiency, is there any good way of repeatedly only fighting a couple dudes at a time to raise proficiency?

I guess maybe flank around the edges of a fight and try to peel a couple dudes off then get off your horse or something?

(I have a hard time hitting them from horse with 1h unless I'm just standing still and that's not really fun)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
One thing that's loving me right now with directional blocking is tying it into footwork. When someone comes at me with an overhead, I naturally try to sidestep while also tracking them with my camera. Of course, this mouse movement sets my block direction to whatever side I'm moving, which isn't great if the attack ends up connecting.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

ughhhh posted:

So there is no way to cross bodies of water without bridges etc right? This makes the war that Sturgia and Vlandia have impossible to happen because neither sides AI seems to leave its terretory and travel through Battania.

This seems to be the map's biggest oversight. Navigating it is a huge pain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So when the game says horses improve foot troop speed I guess they mean "not sumpter horses" which seem to just be pure pack animals?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to level up your troops faster, I find it's better to do Send Troops rather than fight battles yourself, especailly against looters, your troops get way more XP that way.

I tried that and yeah that is way faster. Good tip.

OwlFancier posted:

For some reason nobody seems to use pike infantry which is really weird given that 1. horses are massively more powerful now and 2. spears are massively good against horses cos they stop them dead with a poke.

The empire does actually have a pike unit, the menavliaton.

Ixtlilton posted:

idk, some random horses I picked up because I heard you needed horses to go fast. Do mules help? I have some mules.

Mules and sumpters increase your inventory capacity but you need other horses to actually make your foot troops faster.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Speaking of going faster on the map, does scouting or riding skill help your party go faster? The descriptions feel less clear than warband.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
How do I take over towns?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Voyager I posted:

One thing that's loving me right now with directional blocking is tying it into footwork. When someone comes at me with an overhead, I naturally try to sidestep while also tracking them with my camera. Of course, this mouse movement sets my block direction to whatever side I'm moving, which isn't great if the attack ends up connecting.

The overhead block input also seems easily overridden into a side block input by some horizontal mouse movement. I think the lower vertical than horizontal sensitivity scaling is causing that to some extent.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Generation Internet posted:

Capped daily workshop income at 200.

Ouch, that is a harsh harsh nerf.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Game good so far. Only one hardlock bug and a few funny placeholder texts, but the UI is so much better than Warband in 95% of places.

Few small things are annoying, chasing people down is still a pain and you should be able to direct your clan parties on where to go before you become a kingdom, but once you hit that point it gets a lot better.

My Spirit Otter posted:

How do I take over towns?

You can take over cities and castles by successfully winning a siege. Villages themselves give passive tax income through those places and can only be directly looted.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 31, 2020

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Should I load my saved game with different modules? Not sure if this is going to gently caress up my save somehow...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What's the best way to train troops? My recruits don't survive battles

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phi230 posted:

What's the best way to train troops? My recruits don't survive battles

Looters never actually kill anything in auto-battle, which is why they're great for training.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

minchar posted:

Ouch, that is a harsh harsh nerf.

Especially since you could only have 3 already.

Feeling kinda glad now that my first character got a super good string of luck with a woodcrafters and now has excessive amounts of money.

e: I see that they fixed the crash bug with beating up criminals in alleys but I wasn't able to actually hold those areas/take ownership even with a bunch of recruited looters. Is there a writeup yet on criminal gameplay?

Also the game doesn't tell you and it's pretty obvious in hindsight, but press alt for an overlay of where troops and locations are. It's great.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How is this with controller?

My wife can't play M+KB games because of carpal tunnel but can play on controller, I'm assuming that archery is tough but melee is doable?

How is the interface to use generally in single player?