Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
It’s gotta be a bug unless the dragons are really young, which should not be the case for Aegon. You may be able to trigger the events via console if you dig around on the forums for the event IDs
Edit: also I don’t think the decision shows up if the dragons are maimed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
This guy had an interesting life.

(He lived to be 80 and Satan re-grew his balls before he died.)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Those CK2 challenges keep luring me back. That Armenian one puts you in an interesting situation. I've actually played this one before but it started few years back with queen Zabel: your character starts betrothed to her and turns out sometimes inheritance goes from king to a queen contrary to what game rules make you believe. So anyway this challenge is chill cause there's no time pressure - none of the challenges are about the starting character. And he's young. He still died around age 30 "of poor health" (had a food poisoning few years before, no wounds, Faith focus, beats me what happened to him) and it'd probably make me mad at the game if it was 1 lifetime challenge. I've tried to make a friend of the sultan to the East, part of Egyptian sultanate, but he attacked me and subjugated me and my father making us 2 rulers of the same level under him. Naturally, me and my father allied and went into factions together.

Crusade happened and broke down Egypt, I befriended my liege but still wanted independence, even fought for it unsuccessfully once. There's even a special event for when you sway someone you at war with and with high diplomacy you agree not to fight dirty or something. Nikean Empire tried to Holy War my father domain from my liege so when I didn't rebel from them I've tried to secure my inheritance by joining his defense. Early on I've invited prince of Trebizond and made him convert a province my liege granted me thinking maybe I'll be big and make him my vassal. By that point, there was no hope for that but Trebizond almost disappeared and was ruled by some worthless guy in Crimea so I helped someone to be an independent Miaphysite ruler. He didn't even have a non-agression pact with me which I think would be great. You give someone a throne and that character should be a possible ally at the very least. In general, I don't like how guarantees/allies are weak in CK2: there are very few ways to get allies, especially among other religions, yet at the same time basically anyone can suddenly decide to join a war cause they feel like it. Now the son of a starting character is finally independent.

Anyway, the challenge is bugged. One of the goals is to stay independent for X years but it ticks up even when I wasn't independent. Societies are still overpowered and should have gone through a balancing check: minimal involvement gives you huge boons.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ilitarist posted:

In general, I don't like how guarantees/allies are weak in CK2: there are very few ways to get allies, especially among other religions, yet at the same time basically anyone can suddenly decide to join a war cause they feel like it.

Agree with this. On the other side, is there any benefit to offering to join someone else's war? The claiming ruler likes you more and you get prestige and gold from battles/sieges?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

That's probably a main reason but you also defend your religion from losing a holy site, in general prevent someone else from expanding. It's not like other strategy games where the defender can consume the attacker, you maintain status quo.

In the case I've described I helped an infidel to keep the land I'm going to inherit. In other cases you might just want a prestige, yeah.

My point was you can't really predict who joins the war. In EU4 or Victoria 2 major powers can get involved but there aren't many of them. In CK2 basically everyone can join the war if they don't like you and like your opponent. You can't possibly know who can join or not.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 31, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is there a good way to check for good/important wars to join? Or do you just have to always be checking in on rulers to see who they're at war with and why?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ledger has a list of current wars but there's like a hundred of those at any given time. So yeah, just look at your neighbors. You can usually join your liege wars and you see those at the bottom, but holy wars are harder to parse.

Things like that remind you that this game is much more about roleplaying and enjoying the ride rather than mastering the systems. Some other mechanics show otherwise.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-20-religion-and-faith.1368714/

New dev diary on religion.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
are they seriously going with oriental as a grouping for the asian religions.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, all religions are either Jewish, primitive or those guys.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

quote:

You can play as a more unusual branch of Christianity like the Adamites.

quote:

The Adamites, or Adamians, were adherents of an Early Christian group in North Africa in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th centuries. They wore no clothing during their religious services.

Amazing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

i love every part of this except jesus christ please change oriental to like literally anything else what the gently caress

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They could just keep calling them "Eastern" like CK2 does.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Funky Valentine posted:

They could just keep calling them "Eastern" like CK2 does.

i mean....isn’t that effectively the same thing?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
"Eastern" and "Oriental" have essentially the same denotation, but to a large number of native English speakers "Oriental" bears a racist connotation. It would just be better to avoid that altogether.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Asatru also has some neonazi connotation so I have almost no clue why they are switching over to that rather than trying to find some other name for Germanic pagans

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

i love every part of this except jesus christ please change oriental to like literally anything else what the gently caress

Not an empty quote.

Man, if nothing else, this religion system is going to be wonderful for modders.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah asatru is weird, not sure what was wrong with just germanic or norse. i see your point about oriental. my mom calls asians that sometimes and i get very embarrassed especially if we’re at the local cajun/sushi fusion place.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

a fatguy baldspot posted:

the local cajun/sushi fusion place.

Im guessing this place is either incredible or absolute dog poo poo

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Im guessing this place is either incredible or absolute dog poo poo

Cajun/Sushi sounds weird as poo poo and doesn't really make sense but Viet Cajun is a pretty well known, extremely good cuisine

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kushite religion confirmed as basically just the Egyptian pantheon, let us spread the light of Amun Ra against the forces of Apep.

Also Hellenism is in but it's entirely relegated to long-dead characters. Your character can apparently dig it up and convert under certain circumstances but it doesn't have special content like it does in Holy Fury.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

the local cajun/sushi fusion place.

Do they have a samurai wrestling a gator somewhere in their signage.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I have absolutely no idea who the kushites are supposed to represent tbh

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My understanding of asatru is that it's meant to be norse pagan revival that isn't racist, with the neo-nazi variant called itself Wodinist since that's more germanic or something. Granted this could've changed from when I last looked into that stuff.

Funky Valentine posted:

Kushite religion confirmed as basically just the Egyptian pantheon, let us spread the light of Amun Ra against the forces of Apep.

Also Hellenism is in but it's entirely relegated to long-dead characters. Your character can apparently dig it up and convert under certain circumstances but it doesn't have special content like it does in Holy Fury.

Whelp I guess I know what I'm doing with all my playthroughs. :v: Time for some Old, Old, Gods.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

If I’m a King, how do I acquire counties to add to my demesne? Like in a de jure war, I win and the existing Count stays put. And he of course hates me. I don’t want the vassal-wide opinion hit by revoking his title and sometimes that doesn’t even get the county.

I ask because I’m now a king with only two counties after my previous guy died. I’m kind of hoping I can get myself killed because the worst of three sons became king.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I want to join the Waaqi religion just to see what's so wacky about it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pressing a de jure claim means "you should be my vassal" rather than "that land should be mine, personally," though in some cases you'll end up with personal control if there's no logical way for it to work out otherwise.

Normally, though, if you want more personal land, you'll have to either get a claim on it and/or revoke it. Claims can be fabricated by your chancellor or inherited via clever marriages, and both of these work even inside your own realm. Revoking titles without a reason is tyranny... but if you can manufacture find a reason then it isn't. Having a strong claim on the land is a reason. Spying on the guy might uncover some sort of treasonous behavior. Also, if a vassal rebels (for instance, because you tried to imprison them and they resisted...), then after you beat them you'll have just cause to revoke a title (and they'll conveniently already be in prison!).

That said, welcome to gavelkind, holding onto a demesne bigger than a postage stamp is really hard.

e: Oh yeah, the post below reminded me. In addition to plotting to revoke land held by a guy who isn't its de jure liege, you can also (usually) plot to revoke any county in your capital duchy. Note that revoke plots work differently from every other plot, so read the tooltip.

megane fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 1, 2020

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Besides just conquering foreigners, you can revoke titles tyranny-free if you have a claim on them. You can also provoke a vassal into rebelling (Several ways to do this, most common is a failed imprisonment. Make sure you have a valid cause for that, you can manufacture one with the Intrigue Focus). If it's a county that's not de jure considered theirs (like say, the Duke of Brandenburg owns Holland), you can do a plot to revoke it if you don't have the Content trait.

As for getting yourself killed, try pissing off your spymaster. Alternatively, if you are Depressed you can just kill yourself (though this isn't garuanteed to work).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

poo poo I had a Duchess in jail for like 25 yrs for rebelling and just ransomed her. Didn’t know I could just yoink her duchy. :negative:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Sampatrick posted:

If nothing else, it just feels needlessly confusing to have "Oriental" as a religious group in a game that already has the Oriental Orthodox churches represented.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Look Sir Droids posted:

If I’m a King, how do I acquire counties to add to my demesne? Like in a de jure war, I win and the existing Count stays put. And he of course hates me. I don’t want the vassal-wide opinion hit by revoking his title and sometimes that doesn’t even get the county.

I ask because I’m now a king with only two counties after my previous guy died. I’m kind of hoping I can get myself killed because the worst of three sons became king.

There's also an intrigue plot for revoking a title.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've got nearly every achievement in CK2, except for playing from 1066 to 1453 (I get distracted easily) and crushing a decadence revolt. The latter is tough to do, as often I manage to get my decadence high enough to be in danger, but random events force it back down. Losing holy wars is easy to do, but costly when I need to pay reparations. I just want to have a big stockpile of gold for mercs and hang onto decadence long enough to trigger the revolt. Why is that so hard??

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Still kind of new to this and I prefer playing germanic pagans because I think christians too quickly get the "levies held too long" malus - is there anything that can be done about it, save boosting vassal moods in other ways?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You usually don't have to worry about the malus, unless they already hate you, it takes a while to get high enough where they'll revolt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It lungs niebels.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ilitarist posted:

There's also an intrigue plot for revoking a title.

My current dude's intrigue is (and all of his stats are) poo poo, so I doubt that would work. And I'm not sure what you mean. If that an option from DLC? All I have installed is Reapers Due and Old Gods.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You don't actually need intrigue stat for plots. It helps but not as much as having a lot of friends in the court. You can see limitations here:

I can't do it now because all my vassals are counts with a single province, I can't take the last one from them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sampatrick posted:

Asatru also has some neonazi connotation so I have almost no clue why they are switching over to that rather than trying to find some other name for Germanic pagans

Only in specific cases. The US has a nationwide nazi group called the asatru folk assembly who identify as 'asatru' and that's largely the problem. It doesn't register that way to non-racist eu heathens who may also identify as asatru. (for endless discussion about this poo poo, check my heathen thread)

whatever the case, it's a modern name for a revival religion and so I'd rather they called it something else in CK. Forn Sidr, heathenry or pagans would fit the bill.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tias posted:

Still kind of new to this and I prefer playing germanic pagans because I think christians too quickly get the "levies held too long" malus - is there anything that can be done about it, save boosting vassal moods in other ways?

Similar boat, so when I play Feudal I try to focus more on my holdings - fewer counties, but stacked with well developed castles that I personally hold. That and retinues.

I'm generally powerful enough that I can use my own forces for most of my work, and the Vassal troops only come out when I'm a Jihad target or the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Look Sir Droids posted:

My current dude's intrigue is (and all of his stats are) poo poo, so I doubt that would work. And I'm not sure what you mean. If that an option from DLC? All I have installed is Reapers Due and Old Gods.
If you can't or don't want to do that, just make sure your laws allow revocation and then take the Intrigue focus and spy on the guy you want to steal from. You'll either find a reason to imprison him or make something up, and then either you imprison him and revoke his title, or you try to imprison him, he rebels, you crush it, then revoke his title for being a traitor.