Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Justin Godscock posted:

We did before Obama's re-election.

Naw. Some people did, many did not. There are bubbles where everything has been hunky dory, but go outside those areas and things never improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lil Peeler posted:

I always love the public misconception the basic training is anything other than 8 weeks of teaching you how to murder people in the most basic and brutal ways.

With the exception of CBRN and land nav, I'm pretty sure all I remember is getting instructed in the simplest, fastest way to kill a guy.

Like CQC was literally "hold the guy down till your buddy can put a bullet in his head"

Like gently caress if they didn't teach you how to suplex four men in a row

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Justin Godscock posted:

We did before Obama's re-election.

Pretty sure that "recovery" was building the house of cards that just got shook to its core and is in peril of collapsing entirely, despite the government pulling all stops to keep it propped up

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I thought basic training was physical conditioning and brainwashing.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/conner_omalley/status/1239659855448866816?s=21

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Lil Peeler posted:

I always love the public misconception the basic training is anything other than 8 weeks of teaching you how to murder people in the most basic and brutal ways.

With the exception of CBRN and land nav, I'm pretty sure all I remember is getting instructed in the simplest, fastest way to kill a guy.

Like CQC was literally "hold the guy down till your buddy can put a bullet in his head"

This is only true if your job isn't an actual combat job. "Basic training" is exactly that. How to march, salute, what the ranks are, etc. Basic rifle marksmanship and the bayonet are part of those 8 weeks but if that's your highpoint for being taught how to kill then I guess it's good you chose be to a clerk

naem
May 29, 2011

500excf type r posted:

This is only true if your job isn't an actual combat job. "Basic training" is exactly that. How to march, salute, what the ranks are, etc. Basic rifle marksmanship and the bayonet are part of those 8 weeks but if that's your highpoint for being taught how to kill then I guess it's good you chose be to a clerk

to this day I could probably perform the 11 point safety check on an AT4 rocket launcher

like I don’t consciously know this information but if i’m a stressful enough environment and a large angry african american man in a big hat handed me a tube shaped object I would instinctively shoulder it and begin yelling all 11 steps

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
step one: fire!

naem
May 29, 2011

the worst part is I don’t think they use AT4’s anymore, it’s like i’m an outdated piece of equipment

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don't try to time the market, unless you're awesome like me

feller
Jul 5, 2006

500excf type r posted:

goddamn what a badass this guy is

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

yikes! posted:

goddamn what a badass this guy is

Sorry, go ahead believing that army basic training is an elite killing school instead of the 13th grade where super seniors learn how to become baby soldiers

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I learned how to play hide the salami in basic but I can't remember if it was part of the official curriculum or just something we worked on in our free time.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

500excf type r posted:

Bayonet training? How's retirement, grandpa.
Basic training was a good time to learn about all the different religions as you hopped around finding out which church service lasted the longest and provided cookies.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

500excf type r posted:

Sorry, go ahead believing that army basic training is an elite killing school instead of the 13th grade where super seniors learn how to become baby soldiers

nobody said that though, in fact they said the opposite.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

what has this thread become? What about the numbers, are they going down again yet?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
bitcoin nosedived around march 10 and was floundering but i think it's back on course to the moon

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

RepeatingMeme posted:

what has this thread become? What about the numbers, are they going down again yet?

No dude, yesterday a pillow guy AND a Proctor and Gamble reptilian who's barely bothering to disguise himself as human both shilled their businesses at a press conference meant to guide and reassure the nation through the most significant event to happen to this planet since the fall of the USSR. Number go UP.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RepeatingMeme posted:

Yes, that is the thing that it is doing.

Also I never figured out how options worked. Except for choosing between getting out of bed or not.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
whats the excuse for why boeing needs that much money to get through the next quarter?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Spent it all on stock buy-backs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
due to no fault of their own some of their planes kept crashing which put them on the back foot

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

No dude, yesterday a pillow guy AND a Proctor and Gamble reptilian who's barely bothering to disguise himself as human both shilled their businesses at a press conference meant to guide and reassure the nation through the most significant event to happen to this planet since the fall of the USSR. Number go UP.

:argh: BIG PILLOW :argh:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

they made their own planes crash in an attempt to make more money but it didn't work

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gary oldmans diary posted:

whats the excuse for why boeing needs that much money to get through the next quarter?

Because hahahahhah

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

When rich people get money, they create jobs, innovate, build up infrastructure, and overall make the world a better place. They also use the money to pay for the best executives, who use their special knowledge they learned in Ivy League schools to lead us into a new golden age.

This money is spent more efficiently by private companies than the government, so they have to hide their profits in offshore tax havens so it doesn't get taxed. Also they have to buy back their own stock as a reward for all their hard work.

Unfortunately,

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Their new generation of 737 planes kept falling out of the sky and they were in a world of financial hurt even before all of this.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Justin Godscock posted:

Their new generation of 737 planes kept falling out of the sky and they were in a world of financial hurt even before all of this.

It’s a feature. The more planes that crash, the more that need to be bought to replace them, the higher the demand should be. That’s how capitalism works.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
couldnt we have just bought another $500B in f-35s instead of giving them the money for basically nothing in return

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

couldnt we have just bought another $500B in f-35s instead of giving them the money for basically nothing in return

What are we gonna do with two more planes?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

latinotwink1997 posted:

It’s a feature. The more planes that crash, the more that need to be bought to replace them, the higher the demand should be. That’s how capitalism works.

First, use your planes to spread the virus.
Second, claim that the virus you spread is costing you dearly.
Third, collect mega bonus check. Cackle evilly.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Raiad posted:

Pretty sure that "recovery" was building the house of cards that just got shook to its core and is in peril of collapsing entirely, despite the government pulling all stops to keep it propped up

We recovered to the state it was in prior to 2008. The early and mid 2000's were pretty lovely compared to the early/mid 90's as we never really recovered from implosion in 2000/2001, we spent a pile of money on stupid wars and had a housing bubble form and then implode which briefly propped up parts of the economy until finance croaked.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Bailing out companies that spent Billions on stock buybacks without any strings attached sends the wrong message, if you ask me. I guess this capitalism thing isn't actually about the best companies surviving competition?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
People never learn the lesson of the tulips. Those flowers had nowhere to grow but up!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

netBuff posted:

Bailing out companies that spent Billions on stock buybacks without any strings attached sends the wrong message, if you ask me. I guess this capitalism thing isn't actually about the best companies surviving competition?

hahaha good one, it's about regulatory capture and corporate bailouts that are cheaper than actually performing work because as it turns out, CEOs and VPs for the most part are dummies but their eyes are good enough to spy a golden parachute from a long distance

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Got paid today, put a chunk of it into a mid-cap index fund because the current quarantine prevents me from getting cash from an ATM to directly light on fire. Given my timing on everything, expect some major number-go-down tomorrow.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

netBuff posted:

Nah, it's about building a communication infrastructure to better disseminate guillotine blueprints.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Grape posted:

Nothing pre-2008 compares to 2008 unless you go all the way back to the great depression.

the dot com bust was a better example of a single sector that was heavily overextended just eating absolute poo poo

I remember dad explaining stocks to me and one (micromuse I think it was called) was at one point 350 dollars a share and following the bust was 2. Two dollars a share. and that was a real company!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Guys, just