Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Der Shovel posted:

I had to quit the game shortly after the first free-moving headcrabs were introduced. I have crazy arachnophobia and headcrabs (especially the black headcrabs) were borderline unbearable for me in 2D Half-Life games, but now in VR it's just too much for me.

Yeah, I know the feeling. My own issues with arachnophobia aren't nearly so bad but the things creep me out quite a lot and I tend to panic whenever one starts getting close to me. There's a section later with a rickety room suspended above a pit full of the drat things and I ended up sitting there, plinking away at them from where they couldn't reach because I was convinced I was gonna end up in that room and I refused to take another step until they were all dead. Turns out that room isn't a place you go and they respawn so i reloaded my save after I blew literally all my bullets.

I end up wasting a lot of ammo and grenades and stuff trying to kill the poison headcrabs from as far away as possible because I can't stand being near them, and I tend to panic and leave the room if one ever comes close or jumps. The normal ones are a little bit better but they still creep me out a little bit.

Edit: because I'm a moron who can't spoiler tag lol

Glagha fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

theblackw0lf posted:

Jeff was the highlight of the game.

Agreed. It is interesting how polarizing the section is. Some people truly love it, some people truly hate it. I thought it was INCREDIBLE.

Also thank gently caress this thread can get back to actual discussion jesus christ the last two pages were insufferabe. I just wanna talk about Alyx!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Interesting, I have arachnophobia pretty bad but they didn't bother me on that level nearly as much in this game than in HL2 (specifically all the sneaky poison ones and their clump zombies :gonk:)
I got creeped out a bit but not nearly enough to stop. I've tried to figure out why and I'm not sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The regular headcrabs are downright cute compared to the poison and armored ones. And whatever the gently caress those electric gigantic sugar glider things are

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Honestly just the weird... biological growth poo poo in general really unnerves me and there's a lot of it. Just... weird twitching growths gives me the heebie jeebies. It took me a little while before I worked up the nerve to even try to get one of the xen grenades.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Glagha posted:

It took me a little while before I worked up the nerve to even try to get one of the xen grenades.

:aaaaa:
I spent a good ten minutes trying to figure out how to grab whatever that was before giving up and assuming the game would unlock it at some point. Then forgetting about that until now :blush:

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
How the hell does the bullet reservoir work on the pistol? I still have to reload after 10 shots.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

i must compose posted:

How the hell does the bullet reservoir work on the pistol? I still have to reload after 10 shots.

It empties the bullets from the magazine into the reservoir. So if you're completely empty, put a clip it, let it load the reservoir, eject the clip and put another one in, then you have 2 clips worth of bullets ready to shoot.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Ooohhhhh

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
electric dog head crab confused the hell out of me when I first encountered it because I wasn't sure what to do with it. The room felt like a puzzle, it attacked very telegraphed so you could dodge, and it wasn't clear my weapons were harming it.

I consider it a low point from their usual tight self discovery gameplay.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oh, huh. I didn't have any trouble with that at all. I kind of immediately understood it to be like a hide and seek sort of fight but I guess mileage may vary.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Yeah I had to inspect the gun a bit to figure it out too. Added bonus though, if you use say, 15 shots, you can eject the clip and load a new one and it'll fill the res and then have only 5 shots left in the mag. I found it incredible useful when managing reloading between encounters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah that one didn't really bother me, I got it before long. The thing that broke me down to look up a guide was the Jeff elevator section. Button pressing is juuuust wonky enough that I thought I pressed it a couple different times with nothing happening and Jeff killing me, so I got distracted trying to do other stuff like get out of the elevator after turning on power. Then of course it worked perfectly the first time I tried it after looking up to see that was indeed what I should've done.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

That part had me for a good half an hour. I couldn't get close to Jeff to push the button because he'd kill me. So I tried throwing things at the button, none of it worked. I had no idea what to do, I was getting so frustrated. I went back to trying to press the button, and died - but realized that I had coughed when I did it. OH - I have to cover my mouth. RIGHT.

I wish I had kept my gasmask on.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

The thing that I came really close to looking up was the xen grenade. You can see that it's targetable by the gloves, but everytime you go to grab it or gravity snatch it the weird arm is like "nahhh".

Who knew all you had to do was gently caress its sac.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Claes Oldenburger posted:

The thing that I came really close to looking up was the xen grenade. You can see that it's targetable by the gloves, but everytime you go to grab it or gravity snatch it the weird arm is like "nahhh".

Who knew all you had to do was gently caress its sac.

Wait really? I just went up to it and reached for it really fast and you can grab it before it pulls away.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don't tell them that! I want them to spend the rest of their playthrough fondling xen tentacles.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SCheeseman posted:

Don't tell them that! I want them to spend the rest of their playthrough fondling xen tentacles.

*Xentacles

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that a thing you can do though? I also assumed the game would just tell me how to get one later since it pops up a hint for jumping every drat time I reach an edge. Eventually I just snatched one and that worked.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Glagha posted:

Wait really? I just went up to it and reached for it really fast and you can grab it before it pulls away.

Haha holy poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

ashpanash posted:

That part had me for a good half an hour. I couldn't get close to Jeff to push the button because he'd kill me. So I tried throwing things at the button, none of it worked. I had no idea what to do, I was getting so frustrated. I went back to trying to press the button, and died - but realized that I had coughed when I did it. OH - I have to cover my mouth. RIGHT.

I wish I had kept my gasmask on.

I had the same issue.

Is there a way to disengage the grenade launcher? I know you can pull the grenade off of it if you have it armed, but it seems like there should be another way to disarm it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I did not know you can rub the Xen monster's tummy and he'll present you with a Xen grenade, saw it in a stream and it blew my loving mind

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now I feel like a total jerk stealing them.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
how does one single person make such an amount of truly awful posts that could be considered hate crimes in some nations. please repeatedly probate the shoelace guy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anyway half life is back and im so impossibly happy that apprently its pretty good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
far distant eyes look out through your vr headset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

End of Shoelace posted:

As a comparison, you've surely heard people groan at their TV when they make a mistake in Super Mario:

"Aw come on, Mario! What are you doing?"

Mario becomes a character that the player can reflect on, but strangely enough, nobody congratulates mario when they're excited about clearing a hard level. Marc Llaidlaw knew that playing a videogame is a very egocentric experience for the player.

In Half-Life, the players adore themselves as the hero.
this is the funniest post ive ever read

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

this is the funniest post ive ever read

aw come on, mario!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Now I feel like a total jerk stealing them.

The fact that they animated it to get really sad after your steal it made me feel like a jerk

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Anyone else keep calling the gravity gloves "grabbity gloves" in their head?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

ArfJason posted:

aw come on, mario!

https://youtu.be/VJwFUNHtCJQ

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gently caress YOU GORDON, YOU DUMB QUIET poo poo

GUESS YOUR PHD WASN'T IN PHYSICS PUZZLES

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Glagha posted:

Yeah, I know the feeling. My own issues with arachnophobia aren't nearly so bad but the things creep me out quite a lot and I tend to panic whenever one starts getting close to me. There's a section later with a rickety room suspended above a pit full of the drat things and I ended up sitting there, plinking away at them from where they couldn't reach because I was convinced I was gonna end up in that room and I refused to take another step until they were all dead. Turns out that room isn't a place you go and they respawn so i reloaded my save after I blew literally all my bullets.
Uh, was it the part where you head to the top of an apartment building, find a force field, and then just to have Russell tell you to do back down to disable it, having to cross that particular part you don't like? Or did you not finish the game yet?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ArfJason posted:

aw come on, mario!

Not sure what your avatar is but it's the stuff of nightmares!

Edit: Half-Life stuff, replaying the Ravenholm section of HL2 with MMOD and it's loving gorgeous with the fire effects! Also game is spooky as poo poo with 7.1 surround headphones.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
My thoughts on the ending

I don’t think it’s time travel. I honestly think G-Man is still loving with Alyx from Ep2 in some kind of sub-conscious space and he creates this alternate reality that Alyx is running through during the same time as her travels with Gordon. Think about it - no Barney. No Kleiner. No dog. Just about ZERO interaction with her dad in this “sub-space”. Even Russel looks VAGUELY like GMan even if the personality doesn’t match. How do we know this prequel is even a TRUE historic precursor to Half Life 2? Again. I call GMan fuckery here. There’s no way he’d allow himself to be caught and imprisoned. He wants Alyx to willingly come to him and seek him out during a moment she’s weakest to succumb to him. That’s why the game immediately hands it back off to Gordon. Like - ok - Alyx made a poor choice that she didn’t have to make only because she didn’t know she was in Gmans LaLaLand and being subconsciously mine controlled to do his bidding. Now go save her.

My two cents.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 31, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone played this with only 8 gigs of RAM? I know 12 is minimum recommend but usually this works with less and I don't want to by any more DDR3 at this point.

I updated and reinstalled everything that was possible and the game still crashes at startup (no errors but it creates a minidump) so that's kind of my last guess because otherwise machine is rock solid (and heart touching)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SCheeseman posted:

It empties the bullets from the magazine into the reservoir. So if you're completely empty, put a clip it, let it load the reservoir, eject the clip and put another one in, then you have 2 clips worth of bullets ready to shoot.

Oh god gently caress me I feel dumb as poo poo, the extended ammo for the Pistol was my second upgrade I think and I NEVER loving loaded it up twice. weeeeeelp.

Also, where's the Gnome so I can go for that loving achievement (someone said that's a thing). Please tell me I can stash the stupid thing in my wrists (I'm pretty sure you can't) and how far do I have to go with it for the achievement to pop?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TerminalRaptor posted:

Anyone else keep calling the gravity gloves "grabbity gloves" in their head?

You can call them the Russells if you really want to

Captain Hygiene posted:

gently caress YOU GORDON, YOU DUMB QUIET poo poo

GUESS YOUR PHD WASN'T IN PHYSICS PUZZLES

It was in Button-Pushing, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sigher posted:

Oh god gently caress me I feel dumb as poo poo, the extended ammo for the Pistol was my second upgrade I think and I NEVER loving loaded it up twice. weeeeeelp.

Also, where's the Gnome so I can go for that loving achievement (someone said that's a thing). Please tell me I can stash the stupid thing in my wrists (I'm pretty sure you can't) and how far do I have to go with it for the achievement to pop?

I bet in your heart you know the answers to those last two questions