Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

There was an early-stage study posted earlier that suggested that infected people are more likely to go out and socialize and postulated that the virus may be driving them to do it

Isn't it more easily explained by just assuming that people that go out and socialize a lot are more likely to get the virus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

there are quite a few doctors that post on SA

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ah yes, the first candidate to contact for my plans

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FistEnergy posted:

also include a link to MadJackal's post history

Good idea

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1245120212539707392

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Raccooon posted:

Drop in pollution from the recession reduces global dimming and warms the oceans even more creating a super hurricane season.

Imagine Florida with both hurricane disaster along with CV.

So glad I moved out here this year to central FL.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Elderbean posted:

Masks work right? Or at least they're better than nothing? I've heard so many mixed things but I can't imagine why having a barrier between you and the air wouldn't hurt, provided that you're washing your hands and not touching your face or reusing masks.

I live within walking distance of a grocery store and only make short trips once a week or so. Last time I went was 9 days ago and we're still stocked up on non perishables but I'd need to grab more milk, butter, and eggs eventually.

they're better than nothing, if they're masks you can just buy at the store they're likely not gonna STOP much but they can reduce it.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

(Ignore the Iraq/Afghanistan numbers, they're wrong)

Only 12.4% of people getting the coronavirus would be a miracle considering how much more infectious it is than the regular flu

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elderbean posted:

Masks work right? Or at least they're better than nothing? I've heard so many mixed things but I can't imagine why having a barrier between you and the air wouldn't hurt, provided that you're washing your hands and not touching your face or reusing masks.

I live within walking distance of a grocery store and only make short trips once a week or so. Last time I went was 9 days ago and we're still stocked up on non perishables but I'd need to grab more milk, butter, and eggs eventually.

I dont want to take anything healthcare workers need so I'd likely make my own.

balaklava with a gas mask with an n95 filter and an AK-47 is gunna be all the rage in a few weeks

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I joined for... god it was so long ago I don't remember the actual subforum name... where you weren't supposed to post .MP3s.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder when the first goon corona death will be, and if we'll hear about it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

2.3 is worldwide, USA could be better, because more ICU beds and wealth to buy test kits and ventilator machines

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

it was me, I've been a ghost all along, whooooooo!!!!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

my theory is that it has more to do with ability to heal damaged cells faster, especially since complications like diabetes and hypertension also affect time to heal

basically kids are brand new cell factories capable of patching holes faster than their decrepit, run-down adult counterparts, so when covid starts blowing holes in their lungs, they just patch them back up while people with comorbidities and just plain advanced age lag behind and eventually just succumb to the damage

The evidence so far would suggest 2 things:

1) Co-morbidity (heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure) increase mortality. These are more common in older indvidiuals.
2) Historical exposure to coronavirus may increase the likelihood of antibody dependent enhancement (and consequential cytokine storm)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

alaricalden posted:

This landlord inherited her business from her father at 19. A real inspirational pull yourself up by your bootstraps story.

So this story gets published in a ND paper and the following emails get “anonymously” sent to the tenant featured in the story.

https://www.inforum.com/community/5017606-Pandemic-leaves-out-of-work-Fargo-residents-scared-angry-and-hopeless

This is the local landlord watch group admin:

This is the “anonymous email”.

This is some follow up harassment from the landlord’s father, who gifted her the business.

tomorrow is going to be a big day. it really looks like rent strike stuff is taking off

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:sickos:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

I joined for... god it was so long ago I don't remember the actual subforum name... where you weren't supposed to post .MP3s.

BTB

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

SKULL.GIF posted:

probably already happened and nobody will notice until a sheriff comes by to evict them.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Tei posted:

2.3 is worldwide, USA could be better, because more ICU beds and wealth to buy test kits and ventilator machines

lol

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

63,000,000 is 30% of the US adult population (18+). 2% of that is 1,260,000. I could see it being in the 900-1.2M range even if 30% of the US gets it. This seems really pessimistic on the deaths in young population.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tei posted:

the worldwide mortality rate atm is 4.8%

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

alternatively, "kids are protected because they always have a cold" could have merit because their immune response has already triggered and they are actively killing off diseases as they are trying to gain a foothold

kinda like covid is getting caught in a crossfire between the immune system and another infection

Only some antibodies are specifically neutralizing. There are no good data to demonstrate there is any pre-existing immunity in the population being protective/neutralizing against SARS-CoV-2. The evidence so far suggests the opposite (that people do not have immunity).

sum
Nov 15, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

so this briefing is sounding pretty grim and sober. Is 200,000 dead still an absurdly overly-optimistic estimate?

It seems like the growth of new cases is starting to slow. It's hard to take comfort in a third derivative and also several states seem primed for an outbreak (...Louisiana), but it points towards a scenario where not literally everyone catches it

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Tei posted:

the us fatality rate has moved up steady from 1.5 to 2% over the last few days

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

charity rereg posted:

63,000,000 is 30% of the US adult population (18+). 2% of that is 1,260,000. I could see it being in the 900-1.2M range even if 30% of the US gets it. This seems really pessimistic on the deaths in young population.

dont forget the new upswing in like 6 months if immunity is like the flu

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
april fools, this pandemic was all an actual chinese hoax. good job everyone :) classic yuckster poo poo. a real laugh riot.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I want pizza so bad. how risky do y’all think no contact delivery is

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the worldwide mortality rate atm is 4.8%

Ask yourself. USA numbers will be more like Germany, or more like Italy?, I think will be more like Germany.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

D1E posted:

MadJackal: keep doing what you're doing, man.

Out of curiosity though - how did you discover The Something Awful Forums, and C-SPAM specifically? We're a really weird political comedy speck sub on a tiny dusty little obsolete discussion forum on the wide vast internet, and you're clearly an intelligent physician. LOL what the gently caress?

I'm an electrical engineer for one of the largest American power transmission companies and I regularly hold the power of 25k-100k people in the palm of my hand. I was a dumbass high school kid when I registered here.

Gotta start from somewhere

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I got some last tuesday to support a local pizza place that I'd die if they went out of business and to tip the driver well, and I'm not dead yet

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Frog Act posted:

its fine, tip the driver 30%

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

charity rereg posted:

don't forget under-reporting via excess deaths or whatever

like PR the real number may only come out months/years later

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it only lives for 24 hours on cardboard so you could probably just leave the pizza on your front step for a full day before eating it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

start making your own dough and you should have a pizza by this time tomorrow

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tei posted:

Ask yourself. USA numbers will be more like Germany, or more like Italy?, I think will be more like Germany.

oh most definitely italy

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

5th death in Nursing Home, UK, Spain record highest daily deaths.

Man these April fools jokes are grim this year.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there will be a lot of death from "natural causes" which are people who couldnt get care or undiagnosed coronavirus deaths

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Epic High Five posted:

it only lives for 24 hours on cardboard so you could probably just leave the pizza on your front step for a full day before eating it

how long does it live on PIZZA? smarty pants! leave it outside for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

oh most definitely italy

italy death numbers for some, tiny american flags livestreamed via zoom for others