Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://twitter.com/anilkchander/status/1244848670278914054

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fuuuuuuuuck

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Holy :lol:

I had something to add but it can't possibly top that

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Oh way more. There were four new ships in First Contact, there are about ten new ships in Battle of the Binary Stars alone. They just cranked out a shitton of mediocre background designs. And then there's a few others that crop up along the seasons, and then if you count them I think there's three or four Section 31 ship variants...

I don't think the Buran was from STO, I think there was just a similar design in there.

There were a ton, but I think a good chunk of them fit in to what I'd call "I'm such a Miranda!!" - the Engel, Machowski malachowski, and even Shenzou are basically that. I'd say the Europa is borderline that, although I don't know if I've seen even a fan-made 4 nacelle Miranda before that.

Also yeah, I did some more digging and saw the Buran did actually appear on screen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Uhh the last time Denise Crosby was a regular cast member was 1988. The last time the main cast got together on a TNG outing was 2002. Your coworker who you worked with for 25 years is a little different from the coworker you worked with for 1 year.

I genuinely like a lot of the mediocre background ships. The Centaur is a pretty chill little ship, and the Saber is an interesting spin on the classic Starfleet design that manages to look very different while still sharing pretty much all the design characteristics.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:vince:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arglebargle III posted:

Uhh the last time Denise Crosby was a regular cast member was 1988. The last time the main cast got together on a TNG outing was 2002. Your coworker who you worked with for 25 years is a little different from the coworker you worked with for 1 year.

I mean, half the people in the Zoom were together just a few months ago to film Picard.

That said, tone doesn't always come through in tweets and I have a hard time believing Denise was being serious here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What was this, it's gone now. (People really need to screenshot tweets :argh: )

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

McSpanky posted:

What was this, it's gone now. (People really need to screenshot tweets :argh: )

He posted a picture he took of a Zoom meeting with most of the main cast from TNG wishing Marina Sirtis a happy birthday.
Wil Wheaton's wall says "Not today satan" lol

Yikes, I think I know why he deleted it now. He leaked the Zoom meeting ID of LeVar Burton's personal meeting room.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 31, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I mean, half the people in the Zoom were together just a few months ago to film Picard.

That said, tone doesn't always come through in tweets and I have a hard time believing Denise was being serious here.

I want to believe it's a joke but I dunno. Plus this isn't the first time she's done a call-out on Twitter :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

He posted a picture he took of a Zoom meeting with most of the main cast from TNG wishing Marina Sirtis a happy birthday.
Wil Wheaton's wall says "Not today satan" lol

Yikes, I think I know why he deleted it now. He leaked the Zoom meeting ID of LeVar Burton's personal meeting room.

lol Boris Johnson just did the same thing for a cabinet meeting

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I want to believe it's a joke but I dunno. Plus this isn't the first time she's done a call-out on Twitter :(

Read like a joke to me, I'd be surprised if she was serious.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just some season 7 DS9 thoughts:

I really love the new Dax. While Terry Farrell was great for the first four seasons or so, Dax really never had a role in the ensemble beyond “voice of experience” and then giving Worf an in with the main cast. Making the new Dax a counselor who mostly understands empathy but lacks experience as a host is a great idea.

The Kira/Odo stuff feels weird and it would have been better deserved if we took another road, either not have so much of the Lwaxana stuff earlier or not make Odo’s interest in Kira feel so much like a manipulation from the Founder(s?) Everything about the Founder appearances for a while now feel like they have been steering Odo to Kira by leading him on and connecting his actions to this motive. It’s.. not great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Kira/Odo stuff would have been better if they hadn’t done multiple episodes where Odo harrumphs his way through every interaction with her and then sits outside her quarters while Bariel is there. It just comes off as creepy when he’s spent the bulk of the show pining after her when she clearly just sees him as a friend. Rene and Nana don’t have a whole lot of romantic chemistry together either.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

From /r/Jeopardy of all places.

EDIT: Fixed link

Doggles fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 1, 2020

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
The reason Kira/Odo doesn't work is because they're both gay and thus any straight pairing that involves one or both of them is going to feel off.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Denise is probably doing that "I'm going to pretend like I'm joking to avoid social awkwardness but you and I both know I'm not really joking" thing. She's called out people on twitter before, and hasn't she walked out of more than one con when someone gave her poo poo for leaving the show?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Someone should photoshop Chief Engineer Argyle onto that Zoom thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doggles posted:

From /r/Jeopardy of all places.

pic dead

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I've injected the link with some sort of inert Borg nanoprobes energized by the deflector dish that are programmed to reverse polarity. Try it now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doggles posted:

I've injected the link with some sort of inert Borg nanoprobes energized by the deflector dish that are programmed to reverse polarity. Try it now.

Congratulations, you fixed the link but killed another Tuvix in another universe somewhere.

You monster.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Craptacular! posted:

The Kira/Odo stuff feels weird and it would have been better deserved if we took another road, either not have so much of the Lwaxana stuff earlier or not make Odo’s interest in Kira feel so much like a manipulation from the Founder(s?) Everything about the Founder appearances for a while now feel like they have been steering Odo to Kira by leading him on and connecting his actions to this motive. It’s.. not great.

They never really dealt with how badly Odo behaved during the occupation arc. I felt the relationship between him and Kira was hard enough to buy to begin with, but after he turned collaborator and almost sold out the Alpha Quadrant for goo-sex with the Founder Leader, the idea that she'd even remain friends with him became ludicrous.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

They never really dealt with how badly Odo behaved during the occupation arc. I felt the relationship between him and Kira was hard enough to buy to begin with, but after he turned collaborator and almost sold out the Alpha Quadrant for goo-sex with the Founder Leader, the idea that she'd even remain friends with him became ludicrous.

Are you kidding, that made him all the more relatable!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgPy2kU9nEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7oWXooPT80

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I never knew how badly I wanted this kind of stuff until just now.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

this series is the gift that keeps on giving

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

Not if... Get this... She actually loved him. People can forgive, overlook, and rationalize an awful lot for love

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was watching Empok Nor and I noticed O'Brien's rank insignia was kind of weird. Looked it up and sure enough:

Did they really design 1 specific insignia for 1 character, that is entirely unrelated to any other style of rank insignia Starfleet has ever used? It's super weird.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was watching Empok Nor and I noticed O'Brien's rank insignia was kind of weird. Looked it up and sure enough:

Did they really design 1 specific insignia for 1 character, that is entirely unrelated to any other style of rank insignia Starfleet has ever used? It's super weird.

Yeah because they couldn't decide his rank, it was so over the place

He was a lt at first, then chief, but they wanted a noncom rank that seemed acceptable for a station's chief engineer (and the Defiant's because lol)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Yeah because they couldn't decide his rank, it was so over the place

He was a lt at first, then chief, but they wanted a noncom rank that seemed acceptable for a station's chief engineer (and the Defiant's because lol)

Sure, but I'd expect the number of pips on his collar to change randomly between episodes. That thing looks nothing like any other form of Starfleet insignia - I only noticed it because of how blatantly it stands out.

In fact, it actually resembles the regular US Navy rank of chief petty officer, more than any Starfleet iconography:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

O'Brien being the only person in Starfleet without a commission, and him being clearly working class in the futuristic classless society despite being an insanely gifted genius space engineer, are both good examples of Star Trek's anti-Irish agenda.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 1, 2020

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I'd like to remind everyone that this IS the hero of Setlik III we're talking about.

A loyal noncom who has been in starfleet for 20+ years and was never made an officer because he didn't do 4 years of starfleet college because arbitrary degrees matter (just like real life).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The Enterprise blows up the USS Lantree with a single photon torpedo.

No wonder the Dominion and the Borg tore through the Federation like wet tissue paper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Starfleet always had too many commissioned officers. I mean I guess it makes sense in a society without scarcity where everyone can have a college education and with operations that have more emphasis on automation, but if we look at it with a modern lens it makes their management structure very top heavy.

Beachcomber posted:

The Enterprise blows up the USS Lantree with a single photon torpedo.

No wonder the Dominion and the Borg tore through the Federation like wet tissue paper.

It's pretty consistent that photon torpedoes are DEVASTATINGLY effective against unshielded targets. I mean, its a matter/antimatter reaction so it should be.

It's come up a few times that if the enterprise fired upon another ship without their own shields being up, it would destroy the Enterprise too.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 1, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All the way back in TNG Simon Tarses mentioned that he had the option of going to the academy but at 19 was too eager to get into space so he signed up as a crewman.

I think it comes from Ronald Moore showing up after Roddenberry left. Those two are the only writers in the franchise who are Navy vets. Moore leaned much more heavily on his navy experience in the 2003-2007 Battlestar series.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

I'd like to remind everyone that this IS the hero of Setlik III we're talking about.

A loyal noncom who has been in starfleet for 20+ years and was never made an officer because he didn't do 4 years of starfleet college because arbitrary degrees matter (just like real life).

Meanwhile Picard handed out a field to commission to Wesley. Even in the 24th century every institution is full of legacy cases...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Starfleet always had too many commissioned officers. I mean I guess it makes sense in a society without scarcity where everyone can have a college education and with operations that have more emphasis on automation, but if we look at it with a modern lens it makes their management structure very top heavy.

It's because Gene Roddenberry's reasoning was, "They're astronauts, and all astronauts are officers."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Epicurius posted:

It's because Gene Roddenberry's reasoning was, "They're astronauts, and all astronauts are officers."

It's an important distinction that also helps inform why people shouldn't just frame Starfleet as a military organization, even though it's tempting.

Also a reason why people don't get the point of Enterprise!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They should have gone with a rank structure like they did in Pacific Rim where they had a hierarchy but it wasn't 1:1 for military operations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

All this talk about rank got me to fall down the Memory Alpha hole, where I was reminded about Discovery's ranks. Somehow every other Star Trek series was able to clearly show a character's rank in SD, but Discovery made it near impossible to determine a character's rank even in HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The idea was partly that everything had shifted, too. Like how two hundred years ago a plain bachelor's degree was extremely rare and marked you as a proper expert of some kind, but today they're omnipresent and everyone in some industries will have one.

So everyone holds an officer rank but being an ensign doesn't necessarily mean as much as it does today. But it let Gene get rid of the commissioned/enlisted divide, which he disliked because it was too much like a two-class structure.

After they kicked out Gene they (RDM, really) reintroduced noncoms and enlisted and that idea was downscaled and it all became a bit contradictory, what with still having enlisted but not having enough for it to make sense.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 2, 2020