Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
When Howard 'took' blame for Chuck's death Jimmy took it as an out, but at that moment still knowing himself what had happened. He may have now mentally bought into the lie in order to move on as Saul (lightning not included).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It wasn't just the fryer that blew up Gus reached down and unhooked a gas line too you can hear it hissing as he's inspecting the fryer.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

It wasn't just the fryer that blew up Gus reached down and unhooked a gas line too you can hear it hissing as he's inspecting the fryer.

Yes? I didn't see anyone saying otherwise. But I also don't read anything about media outside of SA so there's probably a 1000 page thread on tvtropes full of math and graphs about how that volume of oil and that mass of chicken could never produce that big an explosion Vince Gilligan and Co are loving us again :argh:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved how Gus put his wallet and pen down perfectly and actually put his shoes in the closet

Also, stopped the hanger with his jacket that was wobbling

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I don't think it's been discussed here and I feel like knowing that Madrigal's CEO was in Santiago with Gus is an odd turn.

I'd always assumed his work in Chile was like "lead a death squad," but maybe it had more to do with forced liberalization/denationalization if he was working closely with some sketchy European CEO?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is the CEO being portrayed as dumb, like sort of a trump like entity?

I couldn't figure out the reason they treated him like that in the hotel

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eke out posted:

I don't think it's been discussed here and I feel like knowing that Madrigal's CEO was in Santiago with Gus is an odd turn.

I'd always assumed his work in Chile was like "lead a death squad," but maybe it had more to do with forced liberalization/denationalization if he was working closely with some sketchy European CEO?

It could still be the first one knowing the real life history of Chile in that era.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

i thought maybe he has some kind of mental condition? the way Lydia was babying him made it seem like he was not well but putting on a facade in public

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

moist turtleneck posted:

Seems like he's freaking out about all the crimes being discovered. Remember that when Madrigal was implicated in Breaking Bad, this guy goes to the bathroom and kills himself. He is probably just really fragile and can't handle all the stress, so they are just trying to calm him down.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Establishing that this guy is emphatically not the mastermind in this operation, just a dopey exec who’s in over his head.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
The actor for Lalo is so charismatic. Like even in this episode where he barely has any lines.

“I’ll call you”

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That episode was a world class one for so many ways, but even though the last couple of pages have gotten bogged down in "can a frozen chicken being deep fried create a fire", I think we need to show respect to what is an absolutely fantastic attempt at creating the least romantic marriage in any medium, even though the characters are clearly still into each other.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"7 million... 7 million? ...Yeah, I can do that."

I thought the CEO served to establish that Gus was the mastermind behind Madrigal, and that he is as loyal as he expects his subordinates to be. The setup of the scene read very much like Gus poisoned the guy, with the focus on him eating a curly fry, saying he's not feeling well, and Gus and Lydia clearly being the ones calling the shots. Then, nope, he's just a guy in way over his head, and Gus totally has his back.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This has been a stellar season so far.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This has been a stellar season so far.
I was going to say "but every season has been stellar" but this one has really gone above and beyond what I thought before.

I can't even talk about my favourite scenes of this show of the whole show because this episode managed to have several of them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love Mike's commitment to the Dave Clarke thing.

"Dave Clarke... like the "Dave Clarke Five"? Maybe before your time, then." Mike, Breaking Bad, 501

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHtNFaa2ne0

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 1, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"James Morgan McGill"
"Justice Matters Most"
"Just Make Money"

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Isn't the Madrigal guy the same guy that shocked himself to death in BB after Gus was discovered? I'm pretty sure he's just an executive not the CEO. Also pretty sure that shot of him eating the fry was supposed to be a call back to the scene were he's taste testing sauces right before he kills himself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Isn't the Madrigal guy the same guy that shocked himself to death in BB after Gus was discovered? I'm pretty sure he's just an executive not the CEO. Also pretty sure that shot of him eating the fry was supposed to be a call back to the scene were he's taste testing sauces right before he kills himself.

You are correct; that's Herr Shuyler, or however you spell it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
DON'T YOU loving "OH, JIMMY" ME!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
What a great episode. The cold all-business wedding, the actual spark between them that followed, all the cartel stuff was good and tense, and that last confrontation between Saul and Howard was amazing.

I don't want to see it all come crashing down, but I know it will.

drat you Saul!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can't help but think they have bigger plans for Howard. Wouldn't be right to just bring him to serve as a punchline for Jimmy's downward spiral. Those theories of him ending up with Kim are starting to look more and more plausible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love imagery of them getting an office together because they love each other, and they got married because it was good business.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Action Serious posted:

I mean once he becomes a friend of the cartel and accepts money, he’ll squirrel it away to keep it hidden from Kim. Those would be the Salamanca rolls we see in the flash forward. We know he doesn’t have a huge bankroll when he leaves otherwise he’d probably not be working at a mall Cinnabon.

Or, he funnels the money to her via a joint matrimony account? And always has her hold onto the money or give it out to some of her pro-bonos? And maybe Kim's curtain call is that she has to unwillingly divorce him and/or disappear and the cartel cash is his gift to her for always being there for him.

Even in full Saul mode this ep gave us a few shots that show Jimmy isn't totally gone...

Chadzok posted:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like I caught a little bit of Kim feeling a thrill when Jimmy told her about the cartel stuff.

Oh, totally!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You are correct; that's Herr Shuyler, or however you spell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gqD1aNkJZk

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Where the spicy curly fries at

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

I can't help but think they have bigger plans for Howard. Wouldn't be right to just bring him to serve as a punchline for Jimmy's downward spiral.

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the last scenes with Howard. It bookends so nicely with Jimmy's first interaction with Howard where Jimmy storms into the office with fake bluster, turns down Howard's fake offer by ripping up a check, and is doing it all to protect Chuck. This time Jimmy is turning down a real offer from Howard, giving real bluster because he is actually upset, and doing it because he wants to forget and spite Chuck. It feels like one of the final pieces of closure on the Chuck story-line, which is was what Howard was primarily a part of.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Und Ketchup.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/RbLY1TE.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/QEZJMwH.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/R7WCng8.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/mlDPytn.gifv

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chadina posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the last scenes with Howard. It bookends so nicely with Jimmy's first interaction with Howard where Jimmy storms into the office with fake bluster, turns down Howard's fake offer by ripping up a check, and is doing it all to protect Chuck. This time Jimmy is turning down a real offer from Howard, giving real bluster because he is actually upset, and doing it because he wants to forget and spite Chuck. It feels like one of the final pieces of closure on the Chuck story-line, which is was what Howard was primarily a part of.
Yeah I think this may be it for Howard.

How did he figure out the bowling ball thing?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, he's not a stupid man, and he probably doesn't actually have anyone who'd do things like that to him other than, well, Jimmy.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Chadina posted:

Howard was one of my favorite characters. You’re probably right though. :smith:

Jimmy was holding back his emotions since Chuck’s suicide and finally vented those emotions fully on Howard.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's no one else in his orbit (that he knows of) who'd pull something like that. If it had just been the bowling balls he might have presumed it was random vandal assholes, but two events so close together is a pattern.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not to mention that Jimmy barely contained his smirk when denying it. I agree that this seems like it's the end for Howard. I don't know what else he could possibly do. Perhaps he'll show up at the end because Francesca is sent to Howard or something. Remember when people thought Francesca and Kim were the same person?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

I'm a huge fan of the cinematography in this show, but I thought this was kind of lame. JIMMY IS TWO-FACED! DO YOU GET IT?? DO YOU GET THE SYMBOLISM??

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm a huge fan of the cinematography in this show, but I thought this was kind of lame. JIMMY IS TWO-FACED! DO YOU GET IT?? DO YOU GET THE SYMBOLISM??

Thought I was the only one who felt that way too. My first impression was that Jimmy looked like Dwight Schrute, and the scene with Howard following that shot? Great acting and perfectly in character with what we've come to expect from these people, but definitely the kind of petty nonsense Dwight Schrute would say.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Its embarrassing that Amc puts out Better Call Saul and Walking Dead.

Like comparing a Pinto to a Lambourgini.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seems like a nice house to not have any cameras outside your gate. Even in the 2000s. Also one could assume since Jimmy bought the bowling balls at an antiquey type place and Howard has a lawfirm, can't be that difficult to track down where they were sold :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, don't forget that Jimmy was just watching the murdered guy's family being given the bad news by the prosecutors. He's probably pissed off that he has to help Lalo get away with murder, and then Howard dumps a bunch of poo poo on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think it was a purposely stupid shot just to make Jimmy look sad and pathetic with no extra intention behind it.