Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Skyarb posted:

OK I am not a professional chef by any means, and often times I use a rotary cheese grater, because I find micro planes just take forever despite how much I have used them.

In the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6QWoOQMvE8&t=549s

Kenji is just a beast at microplaning a MASSIVE amount of pecorino in no time. Is it just because he is top chef, or am I not using a good enough microplane?

Kenji IS pro and probably better than you, but that is also a specific cheese microplane with larger teeth. It will chew through a block of hard cheese way faster than one of the skinnier microplanes, or just any microplane with the smaller teeth for zesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Kenji IS pro and probably better than you, but that is also a specific cheese microplane with larger teeth. It will chew through a block of hard cheese way faster than one of the skinnier microplanes, or just any microplane with the smaller teeth for zesting.

Too satisfying not to post the cheeses:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
gently caress I thought I had too many Microplanes

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

gently caress I thought I had too many Microplanes

I only have four, but now I kinda want the one second from left

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That one is a very handy size for some applications

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

plester1 posted:

Too satisfying not to post the cheeses:

Link to where I can buy this sexy thing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hauki posted:

That is a very good microplane, imo

Steve Yun posted:

That one is a very handy size for some applications

I'm irrationally annoyed that they don't sell a zester with a metal handle :argh:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Link to where I can buy this sexy thing.

I have such sights to show you: https://www.microplane.com/kitchen-tools-cheese

edit:
If you want to immediately go for the full Monty: https://www.microplane.com/ultimate-gourmet-grater-set

plester1 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 1, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm feeling the need for a pressure cooker. Are all-in-ones like the Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi any good? The Foodi is particularly attractive since it's an air fryer too, if it works well I could send my current air fryer up to the family cabin and use that at home. But it seems a bit too good to be true. Should I just pony up for a real pressure cooker, and if so how big?

Canning would be nice I suppose, I'd love to do pickles again sometime and I don't have the gear for canning right now. Right now I'm looking at some recipes for roast pork that use the pressure cooker to force marinade into the meat which is an interesting concept. That's the immediate draw for the question but I've been wondering.

Air fryers are loving great for cooking frozen food, doing wings, reheating stuff that you don't want to get soggy, etc. And yeah I guess you could use an oven too but the air fryer is so convenient. Don't know how I lived without it. Only thing I don't like on mine (Gourmia 6qt) is that the bottom "bin" is the food drawer and you can't really put it into a dishwasher very easily.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

That is a very good microplane, imo

I'm irrationally annoyed that they don't sell a zester with a metal handle :argh:

Agreed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hauki posted:

That's the coarse. I think it's the microplane I end up using the most. The fine gets used on cheese for garnishing pasta and salads and that kind of thing, and on poo poo like garlic or ginger if I want grated instead of minced for some reason. But if I want cheese much coarser than the coarse microplane I usually end up just chopping or crumbling by hand because it's quicker. And I only use the ribbon microplane when I want it for the presentation, and that's not a huge percentages of the meals I prepare. I'm way more likely to just want a handful of cheese to throw on some tacos or whatever, and the coarse is about what I want for that.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Man, i need a bigger microplane.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh good, now I have a microplane hobby. Thanks, jerks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Earlier in the video he says the cheese is Boar's Head, not actual pecorino, because that's all he could get. Boar's Head is crappy domestic cheese that iirc isn't aged? It's soft as gently caress. You could grate it that fast with a table knife, practically. If you get an actual hard cheese, it's going to take a minute regardless.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Who cares. Authentic Pecorino "Romano" is made in Sardinia now.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm sure he still ate it and enjoyed it, I'm just saying a medium-soft thing grates faster than a hard thing

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm sure he still ate it and enjoyed it, I'm just saying a medium-soft thing grates faster than a hard thing

They age 8 months according to their website. I don't know what that means for grate-ability.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

That is in line with traditional Italian farms.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

domestic cheese, the sheer ignominy of it

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Thinking about it, your original statement isn't true anyhow. At least with microplane graters, a hard cheese will grate much easier than a medium-hard cheese like cheddar.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Sorry, I don't know why I'm getting mad about this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There is a point where cheese is too soft to grate easily and smears. Above that there is a point where cheese is not very hard and grates easily because it doesn't offer much resistance. Above that is a point where cheese is hard and you need to put more effort into grating it. Think about softwood vs. hardwood.

I realize it won't be for awhile, but next time you go to a grocery store, try to put a thumbprint in vacuum-sealed boar's head and then in DOP pecorino.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

There is a point where cheese is too soft to grate easily and smears. Above that there is a point where cheese is not very hard and grates easily because it doesn't offer much resistance. Above that is a point where cheese is hard and you need to put more effort into grating it. Think about softwood vs. hardwood.

I realize it won't be for awhile, but next time you go to a grocery store, try to put a thumbprint in vacuum-sealed boar's head and then in DOP pecorino.

I know how grating cheese works. I'm a loving professional cook. I'm saying those rules don't necessarily apply with a fine grater such as a microplane.

And to think I was concerned about being an rear end in a top hat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I have no idea why you've posted 6 times freaking out at me.

I can tell you Parmesan that I bought the day before grates a lot faster than parm that's been in my fridge for a month. Because it gets harder, and that makes it more difficult to grate.

Yes, even using a microplane, like we've been talking about this whole time. I don't even own any graters besides microplanes.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

plester1 posted:

I have such sights to show you: https://www.microplane.com/kitchen-tools-cheese

edit:
If you want to immediately go for the full Monty: https://www.microplane.com/ultimate-gourmet-grater-set

Is there any real difference between all the different "series" of microplanes?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I can tell you Parmesan that I bought the day before grates a lot faster than parm that's been in my fridge for a month. Because it gets harder, and that makes it more difficult to grate.

Yes, even using a microplane, like we've been talking about this whole time. I don't even own any graters besides microplanes.

I thought we were talking about Pecorino.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Can you two just gently caress already.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Can you two just gently caress already.

I'd rather you gently caress off entirely.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Why the gently caress would you believe that unless you were incredibly naive. Think a little about what makes Parmigiano Reggiano a great cheese.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I mean, I agree that this argument is all incredibly stupid and unnecessary.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know why you've been so eager to poo poo on me, but can you please just loving try it before you continue multiposting WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! I can't even tell you how many dozens of times I've experienced the difference.

Hard cheeses are on a spectrum from relatively soft to very hard. Even within one type, the exact hardness can vary. Not all of those hardnesses grate with identical ease and speed. That's literally all I'm saying. I'd never have guessed it'd be controversial.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't know why you've been so eager to poo poo on me, but can you please just loving try it before you continue multiposting WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! I can't even tell you how many dozens of times I've experienced the difference.

Hard cheeses are on a spectrum from relatively soft to very hard. Even within one type, the exact hardness can vary. Not all of those hardnesses grate with identical ease and speed. That's literally all I'm saying. I'd never have guessed it'd be controversial.

You have literally said nothing while trying to say everything. Please shut the gently caress up.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Soft cheeses are sometimes hard. You heard it here first.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

You are Wendys trying to be anything other than Wendys.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Camembert is sometimes Pecorino.

You heard it here first.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

You heard it here first.

I wish I had a better catchphrase, but i don't so whatever. Deal with it

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

gently caress insurance, and doctor visits

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wat

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Oh good, now I have a microplane hobby. Thanks, jerks.

Pick up some actual nutmeg it's pretty good + cool and gives you something to do with the finer microplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm feeling the need for a pressure cooker. Are all-in-ones like the Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi any good? The Foodi is particularly attractive since it's an air fryer too, if it works well I could send my current air fryer up to the family cabin and use that at home. But it seems a bit too good to be true. Should I just pony up for a real pressure cooker, and if so how big?

Canning would be nice I suppose, I'd love to do pickles again sometime and I don't have the gear for canning right now. Right now I'm looking at some recipes for roast pork that use the pressure cooker to force marinade into the meat which is an interesting concept. That's the immediate draw for the question but I've been wondering.

Air fryers are loving great for cooking frozen food, doing wings, reheating stuff that you don't want to get soggy, etc. And yeah I guess you could use an oven too but the air fryer is so convenient. Don't know how I lived without it. Only thing I don't like on mine (Gourmia 6qt) is that the bottom "bin" is the food drawer and you can't really put it into a dishwasher very easily.
Your question might get more traction in the pressure cooker thread