Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
What to do if I am selling or giving away my Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

It’s the same way I feel about the dishwasher in my kitchen. I paid for it once when I switched to Mac and it still works?? If I was still on Windows I’m pretty sure I’d feel the same way about my copy of Office 2003. It turns out my needs to write a small document or make a spreadsheet with some minor summing formulas has not changed in 20 years.

Can I even buy Office anymore without some SaaS subscription that will leave me having spent a thousand dollars in the next 10 years?

I think it’s only Office 365 these days. Now not to beleaguer the point, but Pages is a pretty good word processor too. Nots news I know, but it might be worth an honest try.

Otherwise, you could try one of the open source options.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nitsuga posted:

I think it’s only Office 365 these days.

It’s not. You can just buy Office 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you can also just download iwork or libreoffice for free and not be stuck on an outdated os or have to gently caress around with vms. you'll have to do it by fall 2021 anyway unless you really want to commit to running an unpatched system

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Also, Google Docs/Spreadsheets is perfectly fine for basic WP/SS usage. I didn't even bother installing Office the last time I :pt:ed my old Mac, and I own a copy from the MS HUP.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty much this. Even with the Security Update 2020-002 for Mojave, Apple patched the BootROM of every machine that qualifies for Mojave except the Mac Pro 4,1 (patched to 5,1) and 5,1. BootROM 144.0.0.0 is the last update it will ever officially receive.

Luckily we have OpenCore which already supports enabling HEVC transcoding and video playback hardware acceleration on RX480/580 and above, so that it's actually possible to run Netflix in Safari on my 580 equipped 5,1.

I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 patched to 5,1 (running a 3.46Ghz chip & 48GB ram) and NVIDEA GTX 680 running Yosemite. So the latest OS I can go for is High Sierra? Can I jump straight to HS or should I do it in steps (El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra)?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

spookygonk posted:

I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 patched to 5,1 (running a 3.46Ghz chip & 48GB ram) and NVIDEA GTX 680 running Yosemite. So the latest OS I can go for is High Sierra? Can I jump straight to HS or should I do it in steps (El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra)?

You could probably go all the way to Mojave, but be advised jumping to High Sierra or Mojave will take a super long time because your main boot drive will be converted from HFS+ to the new APFS filesystem.

You should be able to jump straight up, but make a clone/backup of your boot drive just in case something goes wrong; I'd also boot into Recovery and do a Disk Utility Repair Disk on the drive before the upgrade.

The new filesystem is optimized for SSD, so if you're running with a standard SATA drive you're gonna see some things run slower..

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Anybody have a dead simple guide on updating to Mojave I can send to my elderly father? He needs 32bit compatiblity for Adobe and is currently on High Sierra and afraid of accidentally updating to Catalina. I know you can do it, but I haven't used a mac with any regularity since leopard.

I have convinced him not to use the machine for anything sensitive once it stops getting security updates but the longer I can delay that the less I have to deal with getting him to follow through.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

There's this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190

Step 4 might need some clarity depending on your father's ability to differentiate Catalina and Mojave since Apple... "helpfully" puts both links in that step within a document called "How to upgrade to macOS Mojave"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Well now. I just figured apple would try to hide something like that. Thanks!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Don't go to APFS without NVMe. You can do SSD if you really want to but I'd advise against it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Don't go to APFS without NVMe. You can do SSD if you really want to but I'd advise against it.

Why?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Crunchy Black posted:

Funnily enough I have a Corsair MP510 240GB drive doing nothing, though what PCIe card would be needed for it? I could dual boot with Yosemite...

EDIT: or is 240GB too small for OSX?

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 30, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

240GB is fine. They're still selling (or were a week ago?) systems with a 128GB SSD

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Clark Nova posted:

240GB is fine. They're still selling (or were a week ago?) systems with a 128GB SSD

Yeah, fair point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

spookygonk posted:

Funnily enough I have a Corsair MP510 240GB drive doing nothing, though what PCIe card would be needed for it? I could dual boot with Yosemite...

EDIT: or is 240GB too small for OSX?

If you want passive cooling:

https://www.amazon.com/Aquacomputer-KryoM-2-Adapter-Passive-Heatsink/dp/B01H0BC8FG/

If you don't give a poo poo:

https://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-PCIe-Adapter-Support/dp/B00MYCQP38

Should go in slot 2 for fastest access, although that access never goes past 1500 MB/sec or so. You can get pricier cards to get 3000 MB/sec and higher, but TBQH the OS won't really boot/run much faster.

Other caveat is that you will have to upgrade your macOS to at least HS for the SSD to be recognized/supported, IMHO better to upgrade on the built-in drive first then clone over to the SSD so you have a backup..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Literally from the intro graf in the Wiki article:

quote:

Apple File System is optimized for flash and solid-state drive storage, with a primary focus on encryption.[10][11]

What is the benefit for APFS if you're not running Catalina? Continuing to read through additional info on it, maybe it's not as bad as I had thought with overhead and whatnot, I will say my recommendation is based on inferences drawing from customer interactions over the years. Cloning them is still a bitch and 3/4 because Apple's been tight-lipped about the implementation.

I don't run time machine on my Macs because I keep everything on my SAN, but the thought that I *could* mount one of my Mac drives in another Unix box is somewhat comforting because I'm an idiot. Carry on.

edit to say: On anything with a T2 its fine, anything without, I'd say why bother.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 31, 2020

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone run into graphical artifacts specifically only in Chrome on the MBP 16"?

I turned off GPU switching and it seems to have resolved; but my sample size is small and it feels like bandaid.

No issues in Safari.

Wondering if this is software or hardware causing issues here.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Walked posted:

I turned off GPU switching and it seems to have resolved; but my sample size is small and it feels like bandaid.

No issues in Safari.

I'd bet good money it's driver / API issues. A long time ago, Apple used to issue patches for AMD graphics chips alone, now they just get shoved into the point releases.

Edit: more likely it'll get shoved into one of those Security Update 2020-00x thingies since Apple hasn't pushed out any betas of 10.15.5 nor is likely to, with work on 10.16 starting in earnest.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 31, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a good/easy way to export things from iMessage? I deal with group chats in work quite a bit and they get quite chaotic, so would be nice if I had a hardcopy of everything for review in weekly meetings etc. Have both iPhone and macOS devices.

The other option is moving to WhatsApp which I believe lets you do this easier?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Walked posted:

No issues in Safari.

Yeah I do as well, Chrome has artifacts when switching spaces. No issues in other apps.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Does anyone here have any experience using Retroactive to run iTunes in Catalina? I might need to install Catalina for compatibility with work, I’d like to use iTunes to avoid Catalina terrible handling of audiobooks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SaintFu posted:

Does anyone here have any experience using Retroactive to run iTunes in Catalina? I might need to install Catalina for compatibility with work, I’d like to use iTunes to avoid Catalina terrible handling of audiobooks.

Why not just try it out? GitHub has an issue tracker where you can get help

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My Mac is acting bug-hosed and I want to do a fresh install. I have a Time Machine back up, but want to put important files on my other Mac as well just in case something happen/s/ed to the Time Machine back up. What’s the best way to do that? I just want to stick them on the other computer temporarily. Also, what’s the best way to do a fresh install? Is it safe to assume that any easily searchable guide online will be fine?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Old news, but since Apple shoved out a 10.15.5 beta, that's probably gonna be the last version of Catalina before the next place in California gets announced.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/03/31/apple-releases-first-developer-betas-of-ios-1345-ipados-1345-tvos-1345-macos-catalina-10155

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Alec Eiffel posted:

My Mac is acting bug-hosed and I want to do a fresh install. I have a Time Machine back up, but want to put important files on my other Mac as well just in case something happen/s/ed to the Time Machine back up. What’s the best way to do that? I just want to stick them on the other computer temporarily. Also, what’s the best way to do a fresh install? Is it safe to assume that any easily searchable guide online will be fine?

I mean you can move stuff in a million different ways. Over the network, usb drive, airdrop, target disk mode, upload it to cloud storage. Pick your poison.

As for a fresh install? CMD + Option + R at boot will load a recovery environment for installing the most recent OS compatible with you computer. Once it boots, go to disk utility and wipe the partition and install.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

Might want to use single quotes up there, double quotes throw you into the shell

What do you mean by this?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
With the default mail.app and a Gmail account, is there a way to get the delete key to archive a message instead of trashing it?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Go to settings. Then passwords and accounts. Tap on gmail. Then tap on your address. Then tap on advanced on the bottom. There's an option to either delete or archive mail.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just upgraded to Catalina only to find that ControllerMate is no more. :woz:

Can anyone recommend a software to give Windows mouse curves?

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
I think USB Overdrive can adjust mouse acceleration curves, at least for non-Apple mice.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
How well/seemlessly do prior OS X releases run in VMWare, if we want to continue to use old stuff for a while?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I would seriously pay like $50 to get the curves JUST right

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

~Coxy posted:

SteelSeries has a tool called “ExactMouse” that’ll do it. It’s not customizable, though.

https://downloads.steelseriescdn.com/drivers/tools/steelseries-exactmouse-tool.dmg

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Anton Chigurh posted:

DragThing is highly modifiable and doesn’t have to look like that. Mine doesn’t. You prick.

using such software on macOS is haram

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fallom posted:

SteelSeries has a tool called “ExactMouse” that’ll do it. It’s not customizable, though.

https://downloads.steelseriescdn.com/drivers/tools/steelseries-exactmouse-tool.dmg

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I have to send out personalized emails to 200+ people, each email with its own unique, personalized attachment. I know how to use Mail Merge in Outlook to personalize the emails, but I can't figure out any way to automatically upload attachments. My colleagues with PCs rave about Doug Robbins's Mail Merge Toolkit, but that's for Windows only. Is there a decent Mac equivalent? I really don't want to have to do this by hand :(

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

serebralassazin posted:

Go to settings. Then passwords and accounts. Tap on gmail. Then tap on your address. Then tap on advanced on the bottom. There's an option to either delete or archive mail.

Is this on macOS?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Oh wow sorry I thought it was the iPhone thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So something is really wrong with apple software not sure what version. I'm on 10.15.4.

Bought a 16" mbp yesterday and it's constantly kernel panicking when you close the lid or plug in the power supply. As in almost every time you close the lid it will reboot again.

Lots of complaints on the official forums https://discussions.apple.com/search?page=1&content=filterDiscussions&q=AppleIntelFramebuffer%3A%3AsetPowerState
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251223341?page=3

I tried chatting with an apple rep to get them to escalate this a bit, but it felt like I was talking to a robot the steps they were going to make me go thru (create a guest account, reset stuff)

Is all Mac support this crappy these days? I haven't had to submit a request in years but man it sucks.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 3, 2020