Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I tried watching an episode of g gundam and it looks like a newgrounds animation poo poo out a turd. does anyone genuinely like it or is it all just "windmill gundam goes brrrr"?

people like it for both reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I only watched the first episode. I'm fully prepared to admit that I'm wrong, that's part of the reason I posted after all.

Also in all honesty I think having suspect anime taste buds could very well be a good thing, but in any case I will give it a chance at some point, when I'm done with more UC stuff.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Black Griffon posted:

I only watched the first episode. I'm fully prepared to admit that I'm wrong, that's part of the reason I posted after all.

Also in all honesty I think having suspect anime taste buds could very well be a good thing, but in any case I will give it a chance at some point, when I'm done with more UC stuff.

Well hell if it's just the first episode then I don't blame you

Show gets better and dumber as it goes along.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Shinjobi posted:

Show gets better and dumber as it goes along.

Good to know. I'm still not a big fan of the style, but even dumber is a good thing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LCg8F2T4k

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stunning post/username combo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

G is one of those things where because it has like 20 years of very broad fandom the outside impression of it gets warped by endlessly repeated memes/jokes that kind of obfuscate the show's qualities and its appeal. though tbh it's not like G is hiding some deep substance, it's really just a wuxia shonen with gundams and has the sort of mixed quality you might expect of a semi-episodic tournament show. but its also important for being the first AU and a wild departure from GUNDAM even as it plays a tiny bit with the expected themes.

visually, they retained a lot of the Victory staff so you have the same flat low-shading look with simple designs. my feeling on this during an ongoing rewatch is there's a bit to be desired with the combat, especially since it's basically hand-to-hand...but between Imagawa having some preference for high impact stills and TV production constraints it doesn't get to live up to the promise of that often. Victory definitely had it easier because Tomino was thinking up all sorts of insane combat ideas that are easier to execute since you don't have the robots needing to wrestle about in close proximity as if they truly were people.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want the rest of the video

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Amuro would have punched that Gundam once, and it would have been done.

I think Mika would have the best luck.

"You want me to kill this Newtype. Got it."

"...Aren't you going to, you know, struggle against just being used as an unfeeling weapon by a sophisticated electronic system?"

"What did you say? I was too busy killing a Newtype."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I think Mika would have the best luck.

"You want me to kill this Newtype. Got it."

"...Aren't you going to, you know, struggle against just being used as an unfeeling weapon by a sophisticated electronic system?"

"What did you say? I was too busy killing a Newtype."

Mika would have no real luck since the Unicorn doesn't have an AV system and Mika isn't a Newtype. He'd get nothing out of it and would be worse off than in Barbatos.

Honestly the one who'd probably get the most benefit out of it from non-Newtype pilots is Heero Yui who isn't a Newtype but does have experience with very similar things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Mika would have no real luck since the Unicorn doesn't have an AV system and Mika isn't a Newtype. He'd get nothing out of it and would be worse off than in Barbatos.

Honestly the one who'd probably get the most benefit out of it from non-Newtype pilots is Heero Yui who isn't a Newtype but does have experience with very similar things.

The Banshee Norn was designed to work for Oldtypes. The fact that Riddhe was in fact a Newtype was just a pleasant coincidence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dogsicle posted:

G is one of those things where because it has like 20 years of very broad fandom the outside impression of it gets warped by endlessly repeated memes/jokes that kind of obfuscate the show's qualities and its appeal. though tbh it's not like G is hiding some deep substance, it's really just a wuxia shonen with gundams and has the sort of mixed quality you might expect of a semi-episodic tournament show. but its also important for being the first AU and a wild departure from GUNDAM even as it plays a tiny bit with the expected themes.

visually, they retained a lot of the Victory staff so you have the same flat low-shading look with simple designs. my feeling on this during an ongoing rewatch is there's a bit to be desired with the combat, especially since it's basically hand-to-hand...but between Imagawa having some preference for high impact stills and TV production constraints it doesn't get to live up to the promise of that often. Victory definitely had it easier because Tomino was thinking up all sorts of insane combat ideas that are easier to execute since you don't have the robots needing to wrestle about in close proximity as if they truly were people.
How do they like G Gundam in Japan? I know out here it is in this weird rhetorical nerd space which is kind of halfway independent of the show itself, but how well did it do back there?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nessus posted:

How do they like G Gundam in Japan? I know out here it is in this weird rhetorical nerd space which is kind of halfway independent of the show itself, but how well did it do back there?

From what I'm aware of, it did okay but not spectacular

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The Banshee Norn was designed to work for Oldtypes. The fact that Riddhe was in fact a Newtype was just a pleasant coincidence.

Both the Unicorn and Banshee were designed for Oldtypes. It just turned out that it melted their brains and so, ironically, the only ones who could effectively use both were Newtypes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Both the Unicorn and Banshee were designed for Oldtypes. It just turned out that it melted their brains and so, ironically, the only ones who could effectively use both were Newtypes.

Then there really would be no issue with Mika piloting them. He says as early as episode 1 that he's fine with his brain getting melted and proves it several times during the course of IBO.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No, the Armed Armor XC (the Banshee Norn's 'mane') was specifically designed to make the Destroy System accessible by Oldtypes. It's unclear whether and how well it worked, since they ended up with a Newtype pilot, but the Norn was supposed to be more Oldtype-compatible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Then there really would be no issue with Mika piloting them. He says as early as episode 1 that he's fine with his brain getting melted and proves it several times during the course of IBO.

The bigger issue is that Mika only pilots AV mecha, to the point even early on McGillis is pointing out he's moving like a living creature, not a robot. The Unicorn's whole deal might help him somewhat more than a traditional mobile suit would but there's not a lot to suggest that Mika would be remotely as unstoppable if he wasn't literally wired into his mecha. He could probably use it until his brain melted but honestly Mika's one of the only Gundam pilots who we can say wouldn't have a good time with a brain-melting mecha considering what eventually happens to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

No, the Armed Armor XC (the Banshee Norn's 'mane') was specifically designed to make the Destroy System accessible by Oldtypes. It's unclear whether and how well it worked, since they ended up with a Newtype pilot, but the Norn was supposed to be more Oldtype-compatible.

I know some model kit thing says that but as far as I am aware we've literally never seen it tested.

That said Mask was able to pilot a black version of the Phenix and use NT-D mode so it's possible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mScqgquCsg

That or Mask is a Newtype which considering G-Reco is not impossible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I know some model kit thing says that but as far as I am aware we've literally never seen it tested.

That said Mask was able to pilot a black version of the Phenix and use NT-D mode so it's possible https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mScqgquCsg

That or Mask is a Newtype which considering G-Reco is not impossible.

That's a weird argument. It's a fictional item plugged onto the back of a fictional suit as part of a fictional series of expansion packs, and supplemental material tells us what it does and what it's for. Why should we not believe it? Not like we're going to be able to do exhaustive real-world testing of what the RX-0 series does to people with and without psychic powers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a weird argument. It's a fictional item plugged onto the back of a fictional suit as part of a fictional series of expansion packs, and supplemental material tells us what it does and what it's for. Why should we not believe it? Not like we're going to be able to do exhaustive real-world testing of what the RX-0 series does to people with and without psychic powers.

Because there has literally never been a non-Newtype pilot of the Banshee so "they made some thing that means anyone can pilot it without danger' feels pretty toothless. We have no idea how much of Destroy Mode it could actually use with a limited/bonus system in place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because there has literally never been a non-Newtype pilot of the Banshee so "they made some thing that means anyone can pilot it without danger' feels pretty toothless. We have no idea how much of Destroy Mode it could actually use with a limited/bonus system in place.

We see that thing, though. It exists, and it's one of the most distinctive, visible, and unusual features of the Norn. No reason to assume without evidence that it doesn't work.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nessus posted:

my understanding is basically this, yeah

drrockso20 posted:

From what I'm aware of, it did okay but not spectacular

mediocre, and the vast departure definitely would've thrown people. if you wanna editorialize then the show really didn't generate much for kits and it's also overwhelming in its tediously written het romance, so i feel like that might drain some of the fanwork enthusiasm. Wing aired literally a week after G's conclusion and is way more conducive to the long tradition of shipping Gundam pilots. surprisingly, also turned out to be more popular.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Ratings when it came out were better than Victory and not as good as Wing. It had a kind of mixed reputation when it came out since it was so different (and partially, I suspect, because the kits weren't very good).

Since then, it seems to have gotten a lot of love. It's been referenced in a lot of other anime (including Pokemon recently), it got eighth place in the 40th anniversary Gundam series popularity poll, beating out Wing and 083, and Mari Okada cited it as an influence in IBO interviews. (It was the Gundam show she made a point of watching every week when it originally aired).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nessus posted:

It names a couple sources but no links or anything

quote:

All Gundam TV series ratings
Thanks to an article from this month's Weekly The Television magazine, there's now some solid ratings data for the initial runs of each of the earlier Gundam TV series' Japanese broadcasts. The ratings shown for later Gundam series match the ones previously cited from TV Anime Data Hall almost perfectly (though they fit more roughly with the Greater Tokyo/Kantou TV ratings data from the publication "Adult's Gundam"). So, to collect The Television's data with that from TV Anime Data Hall in one place, here's the first-run info for each to date:

Mobile Suit Gundam
Highest rating: 9.9%
Average rating: 5.3%

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Highest rating: 11.7%
Average rating: 6.6%

Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta
Highest rating: 8.6%
Average rating: 6.1%

Mobile Suit V Gundam
Highest rating: 5.3%
Lowest rating: 2.4%
Average rating: 3.9%

Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Highest rating: 7.3%
Lowest rating: 1.7%
Average rating: 4.1%

New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
Highest rating: 6.8%
Lowest rating: 1.8%
Average rating: 4.3%

After War Gundam X (Note: Gundam X episodes 1 - 26 aired Fridays at 5 pm while the remainder of the series aired on Saturdays at 6 am)
Highest rating: (all eps) 6.2% (eps 1 - 26) 6.2% (eps 27 - 39) 1.7%
Lowest rating: (all eps) 0.6% (eps 1 - 26) 1.8% (eps 27 - 39) 0.6%
Average rating: (all eps) 2.8% (eps 1 - 26) 3.5% (eps 27 - 39) 1.2%

Turn A Gundam
Highest rating: 4.1%
Lowest rating: 1.7%
Average rating: 3.0%

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Highest rating: 8.0%
Lowest rating: 4.6%
Average rating: 6.1%

And so far Destinys highest rating is 8.2% from the first ep already beating seeds highest of 8% which came from ep 49 i think.

More recent polling
https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/gundam/ranking/

G is in 8th place with a demographic breakdown of:

For comparison, Wing was 9th with a demo breakdown of

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

loling at that G piechart

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

loling at that G piechart

It's actually not that unbalanced. The age demographic is mostly people who were the right age to catch it when it aired, and only 22 percent of voters in the poll overall were women. Other than the lean towards 30-somethings, G's reasonably close to a representative slice of the Gundam fanbase as a whole.

SEED, Wing, 00, and IBO all had way more women as a share of the vote, but G's not that far below the original Gundam, and ahead of Zeta and Unicorn.

The one that actually is LOL-worthy is Stardust Memory. Now that's a show with limited crossover appeal.

Also, thanks for the ratings, King. Interesting that G's viewer numbers had higher highs and lower lows than Wing, coming to a slightly lower average.

(To contribute to multiple series information, the front half of IBO's second season got better ratings on average than G or Victory, but its best ratings weren't that much better than SEED's at their worst. Little as I might think of it as a show, clearly SEED really struck a chord with a lot of people.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's actually not that unbalanced. The age demographic is mostly people who were the right age to catch it when it aired, and only 22 percent of voters in the poll overall were women. Other than the lean towards 30-somethings, G's reasonably close to a representative slice of the Gundam fanbase as a whole.

SEED, Wing, 00, and IBO all had way more women as a share of the vote, but G's not that far below the original Gundam, and ahead of Zeta and Unicorn.

The one that actually is LOL-worthy is Stardust Memory. Now that's a show with limited crossover appeal.

Also, thanks for the ratings, King. Interesting that G's viewer numbers had higher highs and lower lows than Wing, coming to a slightly lower average.

(To contribute to multiple series information, the front half of IBO's second season got better ratings on average than G or Victory, but its best ratings weren't that much better than SEED's at their worst. Little as I might think of it as a show, clearly SEED really struck a chord with a lot of people.)

SEED has a lot of factors going for it as 'lightning in a bottle' it was evoking 0079, which fit into the nostalgia wave of the 00's for a lot of mecha. But it did go its own direction. Hirai art, as much as we mock it for being same-face, was very popular. Kira was a very sensitive protagonist, which definitely held more of an appeal for a lot of people. And it had the benefit of "Hot boys doing things" that anime/manga like Prince of Tennis rode to success on. As well, there hadn't been a Gundam since the 2000's. And like it or not, Turn-A didn't hit the same kind of cultural appeal.

It'd be interesting to do a deep dive into the cultural etc. zeitgeist around SEED.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
seed aged like fine milk but i liked it well enough when it was new.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So why is SEED so mediocre?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

So why is SEED so mediocre?

Personally my biggest bugbear with SEED is how every now and then it just dips into completely unnecessary and horribly out of place gore

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

drrockso20 posted:

Personally my biggest bugbear with SEED is how every now and then it just dips into completely unnecessary and horribly out of place gore

Like when because I haven't seen it yet and waltman just got pwned a few eps ago.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CCA and Stardust Memories, the show for men.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BurningChrome posted:

Like when because I haven't seen it yet and waltman just got pwned a few eps ago.

I think the first major instance comes up pretty soon, can't remember for sure though, basically there's multiple times later on in the show where when someone bites it they'll show the messy results in the cockpit, as well as several times where one of the factions deploys a WMD with much more messy results than the usual "fade to white" kind of thing you usually get in this franchise when someone fires off a superweapon, and in either case it always feels ridiculously out of place due to SEED's aesthetics otherwise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair I am pretty sure how out of place the gore is is intentional. For all of SEED"s many faults it puts a lot of emphasis on the idea that people are dying in the machines. It does a lot of cockpit cuts even to generic mooks and the massive goresplosions are something that is presented as an absolute horrible situation each time.

BurningChrome posted:

The most obvious example is when a weapon called Cyclops System is introduced. It creates some Fist of the North Star poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SEED's problems are how it doesn't even use its own pretty fascinating lore and backstory. I have heard more about SEED's politics on forums than in the show itself.

There's also the whole thing that the PLANTS kinda killed millions and destroyed civilization on Earth. We see this once and it's discussed a handful of times at best. Meanwhile, the nuking of Junius 7 is invoked endlessly.

The beginning is also so littered with the same flashbacks. Some people have tried to say SEED was better at the start when it was "more 0079" but I strongly disagree. All I recall of the beginning is "Athrun?!! ATHRUN ZALA?!!" over and over and over and over.

Also the ending has more Rau so it is objectively superior. I liked Azrael, too. And this is the most awesome song in all of SEED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Fg1KqZAmE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I am pretty sure how out of place the gore is is intentional. For all of SEED"s many faults it puts a lot of emphasis on the idea that people are dying in the machines. It does a lot of cockpit cuts even to generic mooks and the massive goresplosions are something that is presented as an absolute horrible situation each time.

Don't forget Tolle getting decapitated.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

SEED is a decidedly average show that is tainted by Destiny existing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the universe is slightly tainted by destiny existing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The most obvious example is when a weapon called Cyclops System is introduced. It creates some Fist of the North Star poo poo.

Honestly that doesn't make it any better, indeed I'd argue it makes it worse, considering it's one aspect of SEED that doesn't crop up in later series, even more serious seasons like 00 or IBO don't go that far for the most part