Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Holy poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That is awesome lol

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Making chicken soup, took the skin off a chicken in the process. That can only mean one thing

It's schmaltzin' time

Something later this week will be extra delicious!

Also: chicken cracklin'

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This thread got loving wild, excellent work everyone. Gonna go eat ramen now

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Chicken Soup

Made some ditalini to go with it, added some parm and Frank's

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My wife and I don’t really use milk/cream, but I got a coupon for a free gallon of milk at the store.

After a couple of nostalgic bowls of Captain Crunch, I decided to make some mac and cheese.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Clearance Clarence Strip Steaks.

Martha Stewart grilled salt and vinegar potatoes.

Kenji level of salt :( grilled kale with bacon vinaigrette.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Made some chicken katsu for dinner and it turned out great. Think I’m going to take some of this time stuck inside to start exploring more Japanese food. Picked up some staples(mirin, kombu, katsuobushi, miso, etc) at a local asian grocer yesterday and planning to try making a couple new recipes a week.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Birthday weekend dump incoming. I've tried to include recipes where relevant.

Made myself a cake. Plum & Amaretto Cake, served with some Amaretto Sours. I would definitely do this again.

A bit of a grazing platter, with some cheese scones

I also made a wholegrain loaf, which didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.

This Cavolo Nero, Salami & Borlotti Bean dish was great. I overcooked the beans so it looks a bit poo poo and they tasted a bit flour-y.

Banana Pancakes. I still need to master the flipping of these,

This is actually leftovers, when I did my big dumpling cook I was too busy cooking to get a photo!

Nasu Dengaku, Bok Choy with crispy garlic & Mushroom XO, Broccolini with Kewpie mayo, assorted dumplings and spring onion pancakes.

Oh, and my girlfriend made these Sticky Tofu Bao which I didn't take nice picture of. These were absolute bullshit, one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

slothrop posted:

Oh, and my girlfriend made these Sticky Tofu Bao which I didn't take nice picture of. These were absolute bullshit, one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Ooh, any chance you can get the sticky tofu recipe from her?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Spinach artichoke & havarti stuffed pork chops.

Have tons of extra time to cook so figured I'd make this for a monday night dinner. Asparagus is a bit overcooked but meh.

Meat Pocket. To only be used for cooking!

Wilt spinach, squeez out excess moisture.
Dice artichoke harts
Grate your Havarti

Garlic salt, pepper, Parm & olive oil.

Same dish from ages ago before I knew how to cook, take better photos, plate etc. It's cool to see the changes. I question how it was even edible, I was proud of it back then too.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

sterster posted:

Wilt spinach, squeez out excess moisture.
Dice artichoke harts
Grate your Havarti

:holy: truly inspirational. I'm gonna try your recipe and not change a drat thing! Did you pipe the filling in? Do you sear the bacon edges on screaming hot or just high heat?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BBQ Dave posted:

:holy: truly inspirational. I'm gonna try your recipe and not change a drat thing! Did you pipe the filling in? Do you sear the bacon edges on screaming hot or just high heat?

Make sure you have some pretty meaty 1.5-2in porkchops.

When making your meat pocket try to keep the entry hole small. I don't know how to explain how to cut the pocket but here it goes. You want to face the blade left. Push the tip all the way to the right wall of the pork chop. Wait till you feel the poke of the tip of knife though the wall. You're probably going to poke your fingers Then you move the pork chop back and forth on the blade all the while moving the point up the right hand side, to the back and down the left side of the pork chop. This should make the inside pocket as big as possible. I do pipe the filling it. It takes some technique. Here are some suggestions on the filling.

for 2 pork chops I use
10-12oz if spinach
Wilt that down. let cool a bit. Then squeeze out the excess moisture, there is more than you think.
Grate 4oz of Havarti
Dice on the small side your artichoke hearts
Chop the spinach then combine all 3 add to piping bag

Try not to over fill the pork chops as they will turn rounded and not get a good crust/sit flat in the pan. As for heat it's med high/high. Just something that's going to get me a good sear. I intentionally don't sear the bottom as they are going to sit in the pan while it finishes in the oven.

Cook time for ~150f @ 400 is about 15-ish min

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Vegan quaran-thali made almost entirely of canned or dried ingredients! the naan is not vegan 'cause my regular yogurt only has a couple days left

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

Vegan quaran-thali made almost entirely of canned or dried ingredients! the naan is not vegan 'cause my regular yogurt only has a couple days left

My wife decided to try making some gluten free naan for the lamb curry leftovers. Holy poo poo it came out good! From now on whenever I’m making Indian, she’s on naan duty.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My wife decided to try making some gluten free naan for the lamb curry leftovers. Holy poo poo it came out good! From now on whenever I’m making Indian, she’s on naan duty.

What type of flour did she use? I have a ton of gluten-intolerant friends so I'm always up to hear about substitutions.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Vegan quaran-thali made almost entirely of canned or dried ingredients!

Begging for recipes here. Canned/frozen veg is what I have available but would love to make some more Indian dishes.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

anakha posted:

Begging for recipes here. Canned/frozen veg is what I have available but would love to make some more Indian dishes.

Tamarind Chutney
Naan (I just make this in my stand mixer with the dough hook; that bs with the "make a flour pile with a well in the middle" makes a gigantic mess. In my experience this recipe works perfectly fine with vegan yogurt.)
Boondi Raita (I was honestly not a fan of this. I think next time I'll just use regular salt as the egginess of the black salt was... not great here)

My chana masala recipe is halved and adapted from the one in The Easy Indian Slow Cooker Cookbook and is as follows:

quote:

1 cup dried chickpeas
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
Small piece cassia bark/cinnamon stick
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp ginger paste
3 garlic cloves finely chopped (or if you're me, a blorp out of your big rear end jar of pre-minced garlic)
1 fresh green chile, chopped (QUARANTINE STYLE: 1 small can of diced green chiles)
1 medium tomato, finely chopped (QUARANTINE STYLE: half a can of diced tomatoes. or the whole can if you're feeling extra tomatoey, go hog wild)
1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp amchoor/mango powder
1/4 tsp black salt
2 cups hot water
Squirt o' lemon juice out of the Lemon of Shame I know you have in the fridge

GARNISHES IF YOU'RE FANCY:
Save a couple slices of red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
Green chile sliced lengthwise
A sprinkle of chaat masala

1. Wash chickpeas and set them aside to drain
2. Heat the oil in your instapot on the sear/saute setting. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, and cassia bark. Cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
3. Stir in sliced onions and salt, cook 5-6 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and chiles. Stir 1-2 minutes.
4. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, chili powder, ground coriander seeds, turmeric, mango powder, black salt, and hot water. I have a knockoff "Power QuickPot" so I turn it to pressure -> beans -> high, if you have a brand name Instant Pot (tm) figure it out from there, I don't know
5. Once it's done it will probably be pretty soupy. I put it on the saute setting on high with the lid off and stirred it every so often so it could reduce while I fried off the naan and made the raita.
6. Pop it in a bowl and put your garnishes on top if you're fancy
7. :yum:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

fukken' would.

Mykroft posted:

Ooh, any chance you can get the sticky tofu recipe from her?

pretty sure it was this one, although she tends not to stick to the script too closely.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/recipes/spicy-tofu-bao-1.3824374

She just used frozen bao, and served with hoisin & quick pickled baby cuke ribbons.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

What type of flour did she use? I have a ton of gluten-intolerant friends so I'm always up to hear about substitutions.

Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour.

Works amazing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Spicy beef and broccoli lo mein.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Tonkatsu:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

kumba posted:

Also: chicken cracklin'

ITS PIKACHU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Raikiri posted:

Tonkatsu:

What's that sauce? Looks miso-y but not the Nagoya style.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

What's that sauce? Looks miso-y but not the Nagoya style.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/you-it-katsu-curry

Basically this but I passed it through a sieve to smooth it out a bit more, I doubt it's very authentic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Raikiri posted:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/you-it-katsu-curry

Basically this but I passed it through a sieve to smooth it out a bit more, I doubt it's very authentic.

I was saying okay to that sauce until it went loving wild at the end there, lol. There are a lot of different secret ingredients people put in their Japanese curry though. I've never seen coconut milk or maple syrup, but I bet people do it.

This is super good, recommend for your next katsu adventure: https://www.justonecookbook.com/nagoya-miso-katsu/

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I was saying okay to that sauce until it went loving wild at the end there, lol. There are a lot of different secret ingredients people put in their Japanese curry though. I've never seen coconut milk or maple syrup, but I bet people do it.

This is super good, recommend for your next katsu adventure: https://www.justonecookbook.com/nagoya-miso-katsu/

That looks better, I'll have to order some Miso as it's not really a common item here outside of Asian markets. Saying that neither is Mirin, Sake or Dashi...

Edit: I used honey, maple syrup would be very odd imo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Raikiri posted:

That looks better, I'll have to order some Miso as it's not really a common item here outside of Asian markets. Saying that neither is Mirin, Sake or Dashi...

Where are you? It might be hard to get hatcho miso, but I've been able to find it online in the US. Dashi you'll make at home, but for something like this you can just buy the granulated form: https://www.amazon.com/Ajinomoto-Dashi-Soup-Stock-4-23/dp/B0002YB40O It's worth making dashi from scratch for something where it's a star flavor, in this case or in a curry I wouldn't bother. Powdered dashi is pretty good for an instant food.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Where are you? It might be hard to get hatcho miso, but I've been able to find it online in the US. Dashi you'll make at home, but for something like this you can just buy the granulated form: https://www.amazon.com/Ajinomoto-Dashi-Soup-Stock-4-23/dp/B0002YB40O It's worth making dashi from scratch for something where it's a star flavor, in this case or in a curry I wouldn't bother. Powdered dashi is pretty good for an instant food.

UK

There are online suppliers but stock is all over the place right now, understandably.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Raikiri posted:

UK

There are online suppliers but stock is all over the place right now, understandably.

Makes sense. Good thing is if you're wanting to get into Japanese cooking, the staples you need are all dried/fermented/alcohol and will keep for a while, and you'll use things like dashi, mirin, and sake in most recipes so it's not a specialized investment. And if you want to make Korean food your Japanese pantry will supply like 90% of what you need there too!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Crispy Pork, Fried Tofu & Mushroom Congee

Congee by charliebravo77, on Flickr

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pork piccata, spaghetti, vegetable normandy.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

A Good Page

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

charliebravo77 posted:

Crispy Pork, Fried Tofu & Mushroom Congee

Congee by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Man, I wish I was eating this right now.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Mmmm noods

Made my own noodle bowl and sauced it with oyster sauce, sambal oelek, homemade broth, and some nuts

All vegan all good

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Best part about cooking rice is making fried rice with the leftovers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Like a true goon I am quarantined alone with nothing but food and alcohol to keep me company. My stove is currently filthy so no pictures but I made an amazing quarantine* pan sauce for pork chops that I must share with someone before the 'rona or the 'rhosis carries me off this earth:

*no fresh ingredients

2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp ground sage
1 tbsp lemon pepper
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp soy sauce (I had low sodium in my hovel so feel free to adjust)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Whisk and set aside. For best results season pan generously with salt and pepper before cooking pork. After cooking and removing your pork to rest, combine with pan drippings and a splash of wine and reduce on medium heat to desired thickness. Serve with instant mashed potatoes and a heaping side of Netflix.

I'm cooking for one so of course adjust amounts for your own bright and cheerful homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Made bruschetta, which I didn't photograph because it's the first time I've had bread or fresh veg in two weeks.

2020 is loving weird