Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't like the first episode and hated the second, but the third has kinda won me over. It's the first time I feel like an overall narrative is coming together. The first two episodes felt more like random poo poo thrown at the wall.

In certain ways the world of WW is scarier than other periods of social stratification. Caste systems or the guilded age were objectively bad, unjust and inefficient. Social position was assigned not by ability or potential but mostly by luck and it made things worse for everyone. It's easy to argue against that. The system in WW seems to stratify society based on human potential, which is much harder to argue against. We do want a free society where everyone can become whatever they want to be, but we also want the surgeons operating on us or the judges assigned to our court cases to be the best of the best. There is an inherent contradiction in that.

It's an interesting topic to explore and I have total faith in this dumb tits & robots show to explore that topic with the appropriate nuance. Especially after season 2. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Only the AI has decided out it's easier to force the real world to fit the simulation than the other way around.

That'd actually be an interesting plot point. They did mention how the park never managed to make copies of people that worked in the real world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we know how Diplodicus was able to get access to the transcripts that I assume came from the sphere? If she's been able to hack into it and steal information from it, it seems like she'd be able to get all the information she needs that way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wafflecopper posted:

lol season 1 is the good season, you just wait

Yeah, but it's still corny as hell. The melodrama played out by amazing actors is half the appeal of Westworld.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know how Diplodicus was able to get access to the transcripts that I assume came from the sphere? If she's been able to hack into it and steal information from it, it seems like she'd be able to get all the information she needs that way.

She did ask Tommy Flanagan to look into him, and his boss is the one with surface level access to the sphere.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm really digging this season so far. I don't have a lot to say other than I'm excited to see who's inside Hale's body and I hope Dolores and Jesse kick some cyberpunk rear end.

I have noticed that the first batch of posts after an episode airs tend to be super critical, and then the mellow viewers who are enjoying the show filter in slowly over the rest of the week. Kind of funny.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GABA ghoul posted:

I didn't like the first episode and hated the second, but the third has kinda won me over. It's the first time I feel like an overall narrative is coming together. The first two episodes felt more like random poo poo thrown at the wall.

In certain ways the world of WW is scarier than other periods of social stratification. Caste systems or the guilded age were objectively bad, unjust and inefficient. Social position was assigned not by ability or potential but mostly by luck and it made things worse for everyone. It's easy to argue against that. The system in WW seems to stratify society based on human potential, which is much harder to argue against. We do want a free society where everyone can become whatever they want to be, but we also want the surgeons operating on us or the judges assigned to our court cases to be the best of the best. There is an inherent contradiction in that.
This is only really a problem under a system where your job is what you are. Even in the real world a lot of people could work a lot less than they do and find their identity elsewhere, with the tech shown in WW it'd be possible for people to explore all sorts of avenues that our socio-economic system has decided are a waste of time. Except as in the real world, a bunch of parasites sits on top of the heap and makes everyone work for them.

The people who want to be "useful" to society would still be able to pursue those tasks (job might not be an appropriate word), it'd just not be expected that everyone would have to do so.

GABA ghoul posted:

It's an interesting topic to explore and I have total faith in this dumb tits & robots show to explore that topic with the appropriate nuance. Especially after season 2. :hmmyes:
What does "appropriate nuance" mean? The show going with "meritocracy is a sham (designed to make the people on top feel good about themselves)" is an entirely fair assessment, hell, the very name meritocracy was thought up by a dude mocking the concept. Meritocracy has always been a poo poo idea meant to justify why the people on top are on top, the show is just taking the idea to its natural conclusion - though the only real difference between WW and the real world is that they have a big AI doing poo poo deliberately while the oppression within our system happens more organically.

How are u posted:

I have noticed that the first batch of posts after an episode airs tend to be super critical, and then the mellow viewers who are enjoying the show filter in slowly over the rest of the week. Kind of funny.
The thing this thread is missing is the live posting from goons who will complain about the show being confusing and unclear the next day.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 31, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

esperterra posted:

Yeah, but it's still corny as hell.

Oh yeah I didn’t mean to imply it isn’t. I meant good relative to S2 and S3

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

When most people say "good tv" they mean entertaining and that is absolutely what westworld season 1 is. Season 2 has some major pacing issues that prevent it from really being good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Season 2 is still entertaining, moreso when binged.

Aaron Paul is really making this season for me, though: I care less and less about scenes that don't have him...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

How are u posted:

I think people were only super critical of the second episode because it sucked.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Loving The Culture references. Special Circumstances indeed.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

How are u posted:

It's because the Chad HBO-havers expect a certain level of quality from their monthly subscription while the Virgin torrenters will happily lap up whatever slop HBO dishes out because it's free.

In all seriousness though I complain about the show a lot but I do find it pretty entertaining. It's just got some glaring flaws (the writing) that stand in pretty stark contrast with the other top-notch elements of the show (production design, acting, music, etc.) True Blood was brought up earlier and I think that's a good comparison, because practically everything on that show was a little goofy, so you don't feel the need to focus on the one wrong note.

Going back to the "brain ball mystery" for a second, I think what's irritating and manipulative about it is that it's a mystery where the characters know the answer but we don't. A character trying to solve a puzzle is fun because either we're just as in the dark as they are and get to watch it unfold with them, or because we know something they don't and get to see how they work it out. Characters who know the whole story but talk around it ("you know who you are") for no diegetic reason don't really bring the same thrills.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Also determinism is bunk, iterative prediction would safeguard against it.

Anybody trying to build a predictive system that didn't safeguard against determinism, would fail very quickly. It is, like, phrenology level quackery.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 1, 2020

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Collateral posted:

Anybody trying to build a predictive system that didn't safeguard against determinism, would fail very quickly. It is, like, phrenology level quackery.

whatever nerd, pretty blonde said robots know the future

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
lmfao the dialogue in this show is so loving bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hace posted:

lmfao the dialogue in this show is so loving bad

Yeah its so robotic

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah its so robotic

lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I am laughing

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
There should be a voting for who hale bot is. I would vote clementine because the character has that vibe so far.

It could be Teddy and that would be my wish. It will probably be some dumb 5th option though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Collateral posted:

Can you expand on this criticism and how it relates to the show?

DropsySufferer posted:

There should be a voting for who hale bot is. I would vote clementine because the character has that vibe so far.
This also has the most potental vis-a-vis Maeve, Maeve's daughter excluded.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is only really a problem under a system where your job is what you are. Even in the real world a lot of people could work a lot less than they do and find their identity elsewhere, with the tech shown in WW it'd be possible for people to explore all sorts of avenues that our socio-economic system has decided are a waste of time. Except as in the real world, a bunch of parasites sits on top of the heap and makes everyone work for them.

The people who want to be "useful" to society would still be able to pursue those tasks (job might not be an appropriate word), it'd just not be expected that everyone would have to do so.

I'm sure there are ways to explore all kinds of avenues in the WW on some form of basic income. Caleb doesn't want that though because he wants preferred medical treatment for his mother. He wants something more.

I think most people in society strife for above average societal recognition, prestige or material wealth. And it's obviously mathematically impossible for everyone to have that, so you get to have some kind of mechanism of how these things are assigned. And no matter what, you also always end up with people who have below average of these things and feel frustrated.

quote:

What does "appropriate nuance" mean? The show going with "meritocracy is a sham (designed to make the people on top feel good about themselves)" is an entirely fair assessment, hell, the very name meritocracy was thought up by a dude mocking the concept. Meritocracy has always been a poo poo idea meant to justify why the people on top are on top, the show is just taking the idea to its natural conclusion - though the only real difference between WW and the real world is that they have a big AI doing poo poo deliberately while the oppression within our system happens more organically.

A SAT score is a good predictor of a university education outcome, much better than general intelligence. Is it oppressive to use it to assign limited university places according to it?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm sure there are ways to explore all kinds of avenues in the WW on some form of basic income. Caleb doesn't want that though because he wants preferred medical treatment for his mother. He wants something more.
Given the society we're presented with, and the fact that it's just an evolution of our own, I'm pretty sure "preferred medical treatment" means adequate, and what she'd otherwise get would be to just be the lowest possible effort the system can provide without causing major unrest.

GABA ghoul posted:

I think most people in society strife for above average societal recognition, prestige or material wealth. And it's obviously mathematically impossible for everyone to have that, so you get to have some kind of mechanism of how these things are assigned. And no matter what, you also always end up with people who have below average of these things and feel frustrated.
But if your job is not the sole measure of your worth, that opens up a lot of avenues for recognition and prestige. Instead of everyone competing to get on top of a single (or a few) pyramid(s), you can have thousands or millions of parallel pyramids, allowing far more people to be on or near the top within a specific niche. What people strive for is also defined massively by the society they live in, and given that the society we live in says that fame and material wealth is what matters, that's gonna skew everyone in that direction. Plus the accumulation of material wealth, in the US in particular, is a (weak) buffer against life threatening diseases, adding a literal survival aspect to the strive for material wealth.

GABA ghoul posted:

A SAT score is a good predictor of a university education outcome, much better than general intelligence. Is it oppressive to use it to assign limited university places according to it?
Given that the SAT score is essentially laundering racial oppression as meritocracy, yeah. You can't look at these things as distinct occurrences, you have to look at the whole process. Seen in a vacuum the SAT might be fine, but given the massive and persistent racial skew of the scores it's clear that your society ensures that certain parts of it are meant to fail. This failure replicates itself in two ways - by preventing members of oppressed groups from becoming more affluent and thus increasing the chances their offspring do well as well, and by serving as a justification for further oppression, arguing that these people are simply more suited for physical labor than rigorous mental work. Note that getting rid of racial disparities alone wouldn't solve the issue, as class also perpetuates itself under such a system, unless you separate children from their parents.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Serac:

noun

noun: serac; plural noun: seracs

a pinnacle or ridge of ice on the surface of a glacier

He's an A.I. for sure.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Has this been talked about? Can Charlotte bot be Maeve?

That image in the hotel room where dolores is cradling Charlotte reminded me of Maeve cradling her kid in the maze

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I like this because it fits with the "they're inside the simulation." Surak is just the personification of the system, ala Logan at the end of S2 inside the Forge. That would also be why no one can find the richest man in the world: he isn't a man with a physical body, but a god-like AI with the power to predict what all of the humans are doing.

Forge + Surak would be a neat, Singularity end-point where the ability to simulate reality combines with the ability to accurately predict human behavior. Maybe we'll get the good Deus Ex ending with benevolent AI overlords? Come on The Culture!

Well so far he hasn't seemed to be that benelovent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the beginning of the episode dheloughres is all shots up and near death and Jesse pink man is helping her. In like the next scene she’s fine and telling maybe-maeve maybe-Angela what she has to do. Are we thinking those are two separate times/timelines/future/past whatever, or did they just jump ahead until she’s fine?

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Charlotte-bot is obviously MIB? I came in here surprised to see people even speculating.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They have magical healing wands.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

stoops posted:

Has this been talked about? Can Charlotte bot be Maeve?

That image in the hotel room where dolores is cradling Charlotte reminded me of Maeve cradling her kid in the maze

I think this is very likely. Nothing in the Maeve scenes from episode 2 prove that she isn't in a simulation, especially since Bernard who is established to be in the same reality plane as Delores found Maeve with with her ball missing.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

DropsySufferer posted:

It could be Teddy and that would be my wish. It will probably be some dumb 5th option though.

It's either Delores' dad, or Delores with Wyatt split inside Delores.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Collateral posted:

Our current systems are about as reliable as phrenology despite having a billion times more compute power than when the ideas for iterative modeling, etc. came out. If the Orb that Models Everything is really that powerful it's not outlandish to assume it could figure out the same thing the hosts did, that humans have a surprisingly simple behavioral model and it's easier to just tell them what to do.

Assuming of course the world it lives in isn't itself a simulation, let's go full Rick and Morty.

e: just saw this relevant article: Researchers find AI is bad at predicting GPA, grit, eviction, job training, layoffs, and material hardship

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 1, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My dumb theory is that Serac is Rohoboam

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Captain Splendid posted:

My dumb theory is that Serac is Rohoboam

bless u

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GABA ghoul posted:

I think most people in society strive for above average societal recognition, prestige or material wealth. And it's obviously mathematically impossible for everyone to have that, so you get to have some kind of mechanism of how these things are assigned. And no matter what, you also always end up with people who have below average of these things and feel frustrated.

"Preferred medical treatment" already speaks to the kind of dystopian critique WW is making of modern society, though, yes? It's essentially the plot of Elysium, that there's this Morlock underclass with (de facto) no chance for upward mobility, who routinely die from being too poor because the arch-capitalist system in power characterizes "wanting good health outcomes" as a luxury. Any "basic income" that fails to overturn that status quo hasn't really done anything in the pursuit of social equity. Caleb doesn't want "more," he wants to be treated as equivalently human to a rich person.

Of course, the concept of wealth or success as a zero-sum-game says a lot about your thinking: that in essence, there's no version of a human society that isn't defined by market capitalism. Someone has to be the winner and someone (likely many more someones) have to be the loser. And I think this season of WW is specifically interested in challenging that, in a Marxist sense. Hence why the conflict is pivoting from Dolores' human vs. robot race war of S2 to a coalition of disenfranchised robots AND humans vs. the systems of control and oppression built by the rich.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given that the SAT score is essentially laundering racial oppression as meritocracy, yeah.

Yes. 100%.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Xealot posted:

"Preferred medical treatment" already speaks to the kind of dystopian critique WW is making of modern society, though, yes? It's essentially the plot of Elysium, that there's this Morlock underclass with (de facto) no chance for upward mobility, who routinely die from being too poor because the arch-capitalist system in power characterizes "wanting good health outcomes" as a luxury. Any "basic income" that fails to overturn that status quo hasn't really done anything in the pursuit of social equity. Caleb doesn't want "more," he wants to be treated as equivalently human to a rich person.

Of course, the concept of wealth or success as a zero-sum-game says a lot about your thinking: that in essence, there's no version of a human society that isn't defined by market capitalism. Someone has to be the winner and someone (likely many more someones) have to be the loser. And I think this season of WW is specifically interested in challenging that, in a Marxist sense. Hence why the conflict is pivoting from Dolores' human vs. robot race war of S2 to a coalition of disenfranchised robots AND humans vs. the systems of control and oppression built by the rich.

Yes. 100%.

I think there's also a bit of tapping into the zeitgeist: Caleb doesn't simply want to be treated ~like he is rich~ but instead wants the rich to be treated ~as if they were poor~ which seems like a distinction.

I'm sure that will flip as he gains more agency over his own life...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Loving the idea that Wyatt is DLC that grants hosts +5 leadership and a cannibalism minigame

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given that the SAT score is essentially laundering racial oppression as meritocracy, yeah. You can't look at these things as distinct occurrences, you have to look at the whole process. Seen in a vacuum the SAT might be fine, but given the massive and persistent racial skew of the scores it's clear that your society ensures that certain parts of it are meant to fail. This failure replicates itself in two ways - by preventing members of oppressed groups from becoming more affluent and thus increasing the chances their offspring do well as well, and by serving as a justification for further oppression, arguing that these people are simply more suited for physical labor than rigorous mental work. Note that getting rid of racial disparities alone wouldn't solve the issue, as class also perpetuates itself under such a system, unless you separate children from their parents.

I don't disagree with you here. University education outcomes are correlated with social background, same as SAT score. You basically got to rework the entire system from the ground up to minimize the relation between social background and education.

Xealot posted:

Capitalism didn't invent resource scarcity. A class of medical graduates is gonna have a normal distribution of competency so not everyone can get treated by the best doctors. A good public healthcare systems tries to distribute the limited resources more randomly(which is much fairer and more transparent than what a free market solution does) but it doesn't make the problem magically go away. Caleb would still be more likely to end up with subpar or average doctors and caretakers than good ones in a totally equal system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

Capitalism didn't invent resource scarcity. A class of medical graduates is gonna have a normal distribution of competency so not everyone can get treated by the best doctors. A good public healthcare systems tries to distribute the limited resources more randomly(which is much fairer and more transparent than what a free market solution does) but it doesn't make the problem magically go away. Caleb would still be more likely to end up with subpar or average doctors and caretakers than good ones in a totally equal system.
The difference is that capitalism demands resources be concentrated in a small group, exacerbating resource scarcity. Also, given the technology presented in the show, a lot of doctor work could be replaced by AIs and robots, which would largely get around the problem of some doctors being better than others.