Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I used to get a child boner hearing Kokomo because I would think about people kissing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

If it's not the Neon, it's the 94 Acura Integra in Clover Green

Only registered members can see post attachments!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've seen a Wrangler done up in Jurassic Park livery in the wild and actually complimented the driver but man if I ever saw a Ford Exploder in that stuff I think I'd offer condolences.

That reminds me, is boomerjinks still on here?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

That reminds me, is boomerjinks still on here?

I mentioned his name in AI a month or two ago, and was told not to bring up that name again..

Don't know if he's banned, but it seems likely.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Not surprised, he was really wearing out his welcome years ago

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is that the dude that started a dox campaign because he didn't ship his Jurassic Park car correctly?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I used to get a child boner hearing Kokomo because I would think about people kissing lol

When I hear Kokomo, my brain turns it into the Bob & Tom "Camel Toe" song.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I can smell this picture.

I had a friend who bought his first car and a cell phone in High School with bootlegged movies and pirated games.

Due to copyright and right-to-backup laws at that time, he was investigated by the local police after someone snitched, and since he wasn't selling moonshine or drugs, they just dropped the case.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rockinricky posted:

When I hear Kokomo, my brain turns it into the Bob & Tom "Camel Toe" song.

Why would you subject yourself to Bob & Tom?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While listening to 302010, I realized that even though they're in 1990, it's still the 80s. Like everything is the culture of the 80s at its apex, as the 90s hasn't really happened yet. I was trying to figure out what is the thing that makes it the Real 90s. We know when its the Real 2000s, 9/11, but what is the 90s equivalent?

Gulf War? No, despite all the fancy planes and missles, it was still the low risk easy to win war that we had in the 80s.
I'd say its the election of Clinton. Rather than having a old man who's no fun, the US elects a guy who's kinda like your cool dad, he's fun, dynamic, at the time he seemed progressive because he actively didn't hate anyone who wasn't white and straight. I mean, we know now that he is pretty terrible, but at the time, he felt like such a breath of fresh air, and we could now create a new culture.

The next major thing that makes it the 90s, is the release of Nevermind and Smells like Teen Spirit being played on MTV/MuchMusic/Whatever your national music video channel. I remember that being shown, and within a week we were all wearing those plaid shirts we only wore camping to school and no one was putting stuff in their hair anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Definitely Nirvana. Smells Like Teen Spirit became huge by the end of 91, and Clinton's win was 92. Arguably, the whole "cool president" and "boxers or briefs" swing was because teens and young adults were coming into their own and the media landscape was changing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

Definitely Nirvana. Smells Like Teen Spirit became huge by the end of 91, and Clinton's win was 92. Arguably, the whole "cool president" and "boxers or briefs" swing was because teens and young adults were coming into their own and the media landscape was changing.

I realized I worded that wrong, i didn't mean first or second thing as in timeline, but in importance. It would have been better for me to say Nirvana changed the Culture and Clinton cemented it.

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.
Officially I would say the cultural nineties took place between the complete removal of the Berlin Wall in November of '91 and the fall of the Twin Towers in September of '01.

But vaguely fourth quarter of '91 in general is about right for the beginning, you can see it bubble over into '92 when everything goes into full swing (Clinton's on Arsenio Hall's show, playing his sax by June).

September 10th – Nirvana releases Smells Like Teen Spirit as the lead single of Nevermind.
October 3rd – Bill Clinton announces he's running for President.
October 29th – Ice Cube releases No Vaseline. (Now the power has shifted from eighties rap group, to nineties solo artist.)
November 7th – Magic Johnson announces he has HIV.
November 9th – The Iron Curtain is fully removed.

And this is anecdotal, but looking at old photos, if you see a picture from '90, you can easily mistake it for a picture from '88 or '89 because the big hair had not fully gone away. By '91, depending on what part of the country you're in, you might be more likely to see the beginnings of bleached hair and bangs taking over already.

InternetBully has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Apr 1, 2020

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The Wall fell in 1989, not 1991.

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004

Negostrike posted:

The Wall fell in 1989, not 1991.

That's when it started to come down, yeah, should've clarified that. Fixed. "Various military units dismantled the Berlin / Brandenberg border wall, completing the job in November 1991."

Also I'm partially conflating things in my mind with the dissolution of the Soviet Union, which was throughout the latter half of '91, hammer and sickle flag being lowered over from over the Kremlin on Christmas of '91.

InternetBully has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Apr 1, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Almost all cultural shifts in a decade begin shortly before/after the chronological start. Some decades are easier to spot than others-- 1991, 2001, 1960, 1929, and 1941 are very obvious cutoff points, for example, while you might argue that the 2010s didn't really change gears until Obama's re-election in 2012 or even later until the sea change of Trump in 2015. You could even argue that the 80s began early around 1977-8 and people just don't want to admit it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
80s began on Disco Demolition Night

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd argue it began with Star Wars in '77. Like yeah there's still a lot of stuff we consider very culturally 70s left in 77-79, but unless Disco and early SNL is absolutely critical to defining the 70s for you it's hard to deny that most of what we consider 80s domestic culture was already in strong gear.

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
My markers go something like this, with the amount of years in brackets:

'20s: Post-WWI Through Prohibition (1918-1933) [15]
'30s: FDR Through Invasion of Poland (1933-1939) [6]
'40s: Natural Services Act Through VE-Day (1939-1945) [6]
'50s: Hiroshima Through JFK (1945-1963) [18]
'60s: Beatlemania Through Watergate (1963-1973) [11]
'70s: Birth of Hip Hop Through Post-Punk (1973-1983) [11]
'80s: Moonwalk Through Gulf War (1983-1991) [8]
'90s: Fall of Soviet Union Through 9/11 (1991-2001) [11]
'00s: iPod Through Twitter (2001-2008) [7]
'10s: Smartphones Through Trump's Election (2008-2016) [9]

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

I'd argue it began with Star Wars in '77. Like yeah there's still a lot of stuff we consider very culturally 70s left in 77-79, but unless Disco and early SNL is absolutely critical to defining the 70s for you it's hard to deny that most of what we consider 80s domestic culture was already in strong gear.

The first Star Wars is still very 70s. Check out the hairstyles and Han's absurdly deep V-neck on his shirt.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

chitoryu12 posted:

The first Star Wars is still very 70s. Check out the hairstyles and Han's absurdly deep V-neck on his shirt.

And all the GLORIOUS mustaches.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The 80's to 90's Transition was a bit weird. I'd say there was a pocket-decade from 88-92 which was looking more like the future envisioned by the 80's. I mean Hypercolor makes a ton of sense in that pocket decade, because it makes no sense in the 80's or the 90's.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Weird how That 70's Show managed to have Kelso spoil Empire's ending to the whole theater queue.

Things from the 90s set in between decades apparently thread relevant now. :shrug:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

The 80's to 90's Transition was a bit weird. I'd say there was a pocket-decade from 88-92 which was looking more like the future envisioned by the 80's. I mean Hypercolor makes a ton of sense in that pocket decade, because it makes no sense in the 80's or the 90's.

Agreed, and looking at media from the early ‘80s makes me believe that the late ‘70s aesthetic was still very much there. The ‘70s didn’t end with Star Wars and the murder of disco.

It’s almost like decades aren’t the metric we should be using to define pop culture.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Agreed, and looking at media from the early ‘80s makes me believe that the late ‘70s aesthetic was still very much there. The ‘70s didn’t end with Star Wars and the murder of disco.

It’s almost like decades aren’t the metric we should be using to define pop culture.

I insist that the 80's didn't start until September 16, 1984

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I insist that the 80's didn't start until September 16, 1984

Miami Vice?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thomamelas posted:

Miami Vice?

:hai:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pre-Nevermind '90s is a really weird time. It's kind of like the '80s but also definitely different. The best description I can really come up with for it is the Jazz cup design.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When power is allowed to go unchallenged for too long it gets self-celebratory and indulgent and that is what happened to the 80s

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Remember that episide of Freaks and Geeks where the kid goes to the store run by Joel Hodgeson that still sells leasure suits and 70s jump suits? Those places would still exist in the very early 80s.

Pretty sure everyone tossed out their hypercolour as soon as nirvana was a thing.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
To me, the 80s began in 1978, when The Cars released their first album.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

rockinricky posted:

To me, the 80s began in 1978, when Van Halen released their first album.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Behold idiots who weren't even born in the 70s trying to figure out when the 80s ended. You can all get hosed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nurge posted:

Behold idiots who weren't even born in the 70s trying to figure out when the 80s ended. You can all get hosed.

I was born in 81, that's definitely part of the 70's

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I was born in 81, that's definitely part of the 70's

:hai:

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Randaconda posted:

80s began on Disco Demolition Night

Nah. I was in HS from '79-83 :wal: and there was definitely a seventies thing going until at least '81.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The 70s were so long that I was born in 82 and my mom feared I would one day be drafted. That's why I was given double-maple secret Super Canadian citizenship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i was born in 77 and my life as a kid was surrounded by a lot of 70s stuff. My parents had this polyester couch that migrated from the living room, to the family room to the basement and then donated to my local comic store. My dads parents house was the hight of late 70s interior decorating, I once asked my dad about it and he told me that his dad got a massive bonus in 1976 and decided to buy the most cutting edge design wise you could imagine at the time. I remember the kids guest room had shag carpeting you could loose a Star Wars figure in.

Thank god it was orange so Darth Vader was easy to find.

There's something that i don't think we've talked about, home furnishings that are decidedly 90s. I'm thinking entertainment centers designed to hold your tv, vcr, stereo and and other thing you want to plug into it. With glass doors in front of everything of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

twistedmentat posted:

There's something that i don't think we've talked about, home furnishings that are decidedly 90s. I'm thinking entertainment centers designed to hold your tv, vcr, stereo and and other thing you want to plug into it. With glass doors in front of everything of course.

They started in the 80s (I had one in 89) but definitely became huge (literally) in the 90s.

Although my grandparents had the equivalent for their pre-80’s era: a big wood console around their tv with a flip top to get to the turntable.