Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Loss of ability to smell confirmed as one of the 5 coronavirus symptoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Probably my own biases here but electrics is fairly straightforward as long as you turn everything off at the breaker before starting and know what breaker controls what.

Technically everything has to be signed off by an electrician now but if you're just e.g. replacing a socket and not replacing the house wiring then nobody cares.

Plumbing is something I wouldn't do myself beyond like changing a sink trap or toilet siphon, because water gets everywhere and ruins everything.

Gas, no.

Basic plugwiring and blown fuses yeah, though I'm still not confident enough to do anything further :shopkeeper:

Forgot gas, yeah, never play around with the gas. I recommend the book for other household stuff - tiling, wallpapering, laying floors/carpets, etc. It's pretty useful to have.

Also, Guavanaut, updated the list of Previous threads.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Definitely looks like an Italy track we're following at the moment, Cheltenham Races was such a stupid thing to allow to go ahead, criminally so, I doubt we've even seen the full impact of that yet.

In slightly more amusing news, The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 appears to have criminalised being over 18:

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Whilst we are on the subject of home decor, how much change can I make to a room that I am renting? I haven't added any studs to the wall (used a few of them though for hanging things) but would like to know what exactly the legal grounds are for repurposing stuff?

Thanks folks!

Get some of these for hanging stuff up. Can hold ridiculous weights and don't leave marks if you use and remove them properly. Better than wall hooks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

Basic plugwiring and blown fuses yeah, though I'm still not confident enough to do anything further :shopkeeper:

Forgot gas, yeah, never play around with the gas. I recommend the book for other household stuff - tiling, wallpapering, laying floors/carpets, etc. It's pretty useful to have.

Also, Guavanaut, updated the list of Previous threads.
Thanks, updated.

The one thing that I am comfortable doing with gas (and everyone else should be too, tenant or homeowner) is checking for gas leaks with washing up liquid and water. If I see bubbles it's straight to turning it off at the meter and calling someone else.

Algol Star posted:

Get some of these for hanging stuff up. Can hold ridiculous weights and don't leave marks if you use and remove them properly. Better than wall hooks.
Can confirm command strips are good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/edconwaysky/status/1245343609190301697?s=21

Brr.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
LearninCurve (or anyone!)

When you said 'text based version' of shopping websites for delivery slots, what did you mean?
A friend has been trying for ages to get a slot on Tesco to no avail and so I told him what you said and now he wants to know what that means ... erm....
I'm guessing it's to do with accessibility?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's great that italy was such a clear example of the dangers of inadequate virus reaction three weeks ago and from what i can tell other european countries basically went "sucks for you lol, won't happen to us"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Apparently on a two week time delay, Mervyn King has been rolled out to suggest that long-term quarantine measures are "unrealistic" and we should be focused on getting immune people back to work.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

josh04 posted:

Apparently on a two week time delay, Mervyn King has been rolled out to suggest that long-term quarantine measures are "unrealistic" and we should be focused on getting immune people back to work.

Maybe, but until we have national testing we won't know!

But also, we don't actually know if people are either immune in the first place or gain immunity after infection and if they do how long that immunity might last and if it confers immunity on a mutated virus.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Angepain posted:

it's great that italy was such a clear example of the dangers of inadequate virus reaction three weeks ago and from what i can tell other european countries basically went "sucks for you lol, won't happen to us"

They also went, racistly, "everyone in Italy smokes, is old, and Continental kisses their entire neighbourhood a million times everyday, so of course they've all got it".

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I've been off work for a few weeks so I've just started working through the backlog of emails and it's pretty interesting watching the crisis evolve in slow motion through them

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Thanks, updated.

Whoops, sorry sent you wrong link to an older one:

This is the updated one.
Previous Threads

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Why are Sweden doing better than us with no lockdown?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

They aren't. They just got it later.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

I'd quite like to know if I'm immune so that I can get back to more productive work and do stuff, but nobody's loving testing are they.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Whoops, sorry sent you wrong link to an older one:

This is the updated one.
Previous Threads
Fixed.

marktheando posted:

Ask again in 2 weeks.

efb

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1245350371876315137

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
My boss, yesterday: We're putting you on furlough, 80% salary paid by the govt.

My boss, today: you can still answer email enquiries from home, right???

lol gently caress off

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

sassassin posted:

Guy I know got his test back this morning. He's a porter in a hospital. Newport area so no surprise it was positive.

Was he ill

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

communism bitch posted:

My boss, yesterday: We're putting you on furlough, 80% salary paid by the govt.

My boss, today: you can still answer email enquiries from home, right???

lol gently caress off

HMRC guidelines posted:

To be eligible for the subsidy, when on furlough, an employee can not undertake work for or on behalf of the organisation. This includes providing services or generating revenue.
So technically yes, you can answer emails, but then they can't claim the money back of the government.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why are so many people struggling with the idea that it's not ok to just go "oh well, if I get it I get it" and go on about your life like nothing is loving happening because other people exist?

I've just had a blowup with a colleague who decided she couldn't bear being at home anymore so got together a big group of her mates to go wandering around last night. The point of "you don't go anywhere that you don't absolutely need to because you're raising the risk to everybody by potentially traipsing the virus to/from wherever you've decided to go" is utterly lost on her.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why are so many people struggling with the idea that it's not ok to just go "oh well, if I get it I get it" and go on about your life like nothing is loving happening because other people exist?

I've just had a blowup with a colleague who decided she couldn't bear being at home anymore so got together a big group of her mates to go wandering around last night. The point of "you don't go anywhere that you don't absolutely need to because you're raising the risk to everybody by potentially traipsing the virus to/from wherever you've decided to go" is utterly lost on her.

well going for a walk outside is fine but what made her go batshit crazy and decide to do it in a group????

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Neoliberalism drives a massively individual focused mindset, and stress induces poor decision making. This is of course a great combo while the reporting on the disease is muddy as gently caress.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

It's frustrating but not surprising given how few people about in this time and place give a gently caress about anything or anyone but themselves

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Welcome to the last 50 years.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

well going for a walk outside is fine but what made her go batshit crazy and decide to do it in a group????

"I can't not see my besties!!!"

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

So technically yes, you can answer emails, but then they can't claim the money back of the government.

Oh I know. I told him not unless they're covering my full salary.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mild symptoms. Was sent home and told to isolate. Two days later tested. Four more days to get the results.

His sister's a nurse, she's got it too.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

marktheando posted:

To compare they have six times as many dead as Norway, with less than double the population. A few days ago their daily dead was equal to our total dead, but they have moved beyond that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/tax_free/status/1245352298882256896?s=19

Lol :thumbsup:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that's more due to them allowing UNC paths, it meets microsoft's terrible definition of an RCE though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1w4DVkkEU

and the reason that zoom allows it at all? well...
https://twitter.com/BillDemirkapi/status/1245271580852322304

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Would it be really irresponsible of me to try to get some weed right now?

Rincewinds posted:

To compare they have six times as many dead as Norway, with less than double the population. A few days ago their daily dead was equal to our total dead, but they have moved beyond that.

Hmm so that graph was misleading then.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I've just updated my post on the first page with the April Solidarity Fund update. Details of how to donate to the fund or apply for assistance are at the end of the OP. Guavanaut, possibly worth adding the email address to the list of ways to apply?

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - April 2020 :siren:

Thanks to donations from many generous goons and goonfriends, the fund is thriving! Here's the summary of income and outgoings since we started:

• Almost half the funds to date came from extremely generous donations by friends of goons who (so far as I know) aren't goons themselves, so feel free to tell the financially blessed comrades in your life about the Fund!
  • We now have an email address! Applications to solidarity@ukmt.fund will now be accepted, or you can still use the form (linked below) or PM a committee member.
  • As you can see, income so far has drastically exceeded outgoings, so if you're feeling the pinch in these trying times, come to us. No judgement, no stigma. We are all comrades.
Constitution | Record of Activity | Application Form

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"I can't not see my besties!!!"

Distressing lack of object permanence on display.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

marktheando posted:

Should be fine if you soak it in bleach for a few hours

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Hmm so that graph was misleading then.

It's not. It's just the steepness of the curve that matters, and theirs is hella steep.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wachter posted:

Should be fine if you soak it in bleach for a few hours

Cook it all to decarb (and decontaminate) and then grind it into some delicious brownie mix or whatever. Might as well get twisted if you're just gonna be sitting at home, and you're not loving your lungs in the process

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

marktheando posted:

Would it be really irresponsible of me to try to get some weed right now?.

Now’d be a good time to grow your own.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

just the flu bro.

think this could of potentially been us. i'm still confused how the government 'scientists' spent so long with a flawed model when everyone else seemed to be aware of the death rate from just reading the news about china. it be really fascinating to be in the room when they realized that there'd be minimum 250,000 deaths if they stuck with the policy of not doing anything.

i also wonder how many people suggested they just go a long with it to save face rather than going back on their decisions

e: it's probably the only time it's been good that the public is so loving stupid they'd forget and forgive boris johnson even if he came to their house and took a poo poo in their living room

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's something grimly amusing about the papers reporting "biggest rise in cases/deaths EVER" every few days as if its a discrete event completely separated from everything beforehand. Media's always had a short memory, but its almost instantaneous now.