Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

come may 1st, many a cowboy hat gonna hit the ground in texas

three olive's door attendant keeping his powder dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

massive housing crash that leads to me setting up pet island stronghold in the hills of west virginia upon thousands of acres.

If you promise to get goats I'll help you

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1245360284597809152

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
[Covid-19 April] time to poo poo in the pool

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

Not sure, seeing decreased contractility on ultrasound with a slight increase in troponin, no significant enlargement on chest X-ray. Patient usually has mild symptoms but tend to undergo ARDS and cardiovascular collapse quickly. Two of the four like this I’ve seen personally were late 20’s/early 30’s and otherwise healthy. Sorry I don’t have more details than that, once autopsies are done on more victims there should be a better understanding of the pathology.

Haha welp I've been good about only going out once a week to stock up on stuff but now I'm just never going out again

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

hepatizon posted:

Any thoughts on the speculation re: disruption of heme groups causing a lot of the signature findings?

https://twitter.com/yishan/status/1244717172871409666

So of those that I’ve seen die, many if not most die from apparent cardiovascular complications, not hypoxia. I suppose our pulse ox could be falsely reading high if it’s detecting damaged hemoglobin but I don’t see cyanosis or any other hallmarks of hypoxia.

Cytokine storm is still the most likely culprit as the patients who get interleukin inhibitors seem to be getting better faster. The only problem is it’s expensive and administration predictably is now clamping down on it’s use.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1245022842585878528

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

when is the collapse of advertising revenue going to bankrupt television?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Why the gently caress can't we keep a functional postal service

I know this was discussed yesterday but I wasn't paying attention

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

C-Euro posted:

constant Republican sabotage

the USPS is a very powerful union and the organization itself is run very well and basically proves everything the Republicans say about government inefficiency and ineffectiveness totally and completely wrong

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/mtlblog/status/1245362191248904192

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Spoondick posted:

When they decide to force advertisements on Netflix and the upper tier Hulu subs.

It’s coming!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
WSJ editorial board hyping the right wing media "miracle cures" hydroxychloroquine (HC) and chloroquine

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-fda-breakthrough-on-treatment-11585609832

It's paywalled but you can probably guess what ghoulish trash they're hyping.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Spoondick posted:

more people are watching tv than ever before! ads should go up in price!! *every single company gets zero return on ads*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rad-daddio posted:

That BPM is either really good or really bad.

I cycle a lot and I've been doing a consistent 60-100 miles a week since February.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Good thing we don't have a bunch of people in government that have been salivating for decades to privatize mail service.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

way fewer people using it, so can't pay for itself

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

brugroffil posted:

WSJ editorial board hyping the right wing media "miracle cures" hydroxychloroquine (HC) and chloroquine

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-fda-breakthrough-on-treatment-11585609832

It's paywalled but you can probably guess what ghoulish trash they're hyping.

Here's the article:

The Food and Drug Administration on Sunday green-lighted two malaria medicines that have shown some promise treating the novel coronavirus, and the emergency approvals couldn’t come soon enough. Expanding their use could bring quicker relief to patients and hospitals while allowing scientists to better assess their efficacy.

The malaria drugs hydroxychloroquine (HC) and chloroquine have been around for more than five decades, so their safety is well documented. New evidence suggests that they could also help fight the novel coronavirus, as op-eds by Dr. Jeff Colyer on these pages have reported. Both chloroquine and HC in vitro block the replication of RNA viruses like the novel coronavirus.

Hydroxychloroquine nowadays is often prescribed for the autoimmune conditions lupus and rheumatoid arthritis that result from the body’s immune system attacking its own cells. Scientists have also documented an overreactive immune response in severely ill coronavirus patients.

Notably, a study in France of 80 coronavirus patients given HC and azithromycin, an antibiotic for upper respiratory infections, documented “a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 year-old patient still in intensive care unit.” Doctors have also reported anecdotal evidence of the malaria drugs’ efficacy.

More study is needed, and a clinical trial of the two drugs involving 1,100 patients started last week in New York. But the FDA’s emergency authorization will let more doctors prescribe the drug outside of clinical trials, and hospitals will be required to maintain data on drug dispensation and patient outcomes. This will allow a larger review than possible in a controlled clinical trial.

Production of the drugs will need to increase so patients with autoimmune conditions can maintain their treatments, and the emergency approval covers only drugs supplied by the National Strategic Stockpile. The Department of Health and Human Services reported Sunday that Novartis has donated 30 million doses of HC, and Bayer has contributed one million doses of chloroquine to the federal government, which can distribute the drugs to areas with the highest need.

Some are attacking President Trump for giving patients “false hope” by encouraging the emergency drug approvals. They quibble that the French study lacked a control group, but are flogging a smaller Chinese study that found no statistical benefit from HC. That study’s control group received other antiviral drugs.

Effective drug treatments would reduce the strain on hospitals and in the long term will be more important and less costly than government quarantines in defeating the pandemic.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I've been reading this & the Doomsday Economic thread and I have to thank you CSPAM guys for being cool and good :) I'm filled with regret for not checking in sooner! Here, have a quarantine cat:

Also, a neat local pic I didn't take myself:

:woop: KEEP ON KEEPING ON :woop:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So our social distancing is by the numbers not doing anything, 20% need hospital, the hospitals are full, and 80% will be infected. 20% of 80% of the US population is 50M dead, why is no one talking about this

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
https://twitter.com/karenkho/status/1245363448332136448

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/safimichael/status/1245359243995348992

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

shovelbum posted:

So our social distancing is by the numbers not doing anything, 20% need hospital, the hospitals are full, and 80% will be infected. 20% of 80% of the US population is 50M dead, why is no one talking about this

Hey buddy, why are you so eager to make our president look bad?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving baaahahahaaahahaaaaahahaha

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Iron Crowned posted:

Texting some of my friends/acquaintances has shown me that most people don't think like that. They're apparently climbing the walls being stuck at home. I'm sitting here jealous that even working from home they have time to do things. Apparently they get their thrills from going to another box to sit all day for work.

I know right

I was full-time WFH before all this started so maybe I'm just used to it, but it's kind of a relief to be free of social obligations for a while. I'm spending shitloads of quality time with my SO, getting loads of projects done, and maybe eventually I'll have time to play video games again. It'd suck if this was month eight or something, but it's like week three for most people come the gently caress on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

shovelbum posted:

I am, because it owns

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rad-daddio posted:

That BPM is either really good or really bad.

I'm a goony goon but mine generally sits around the upper 60s or low 70s and if I don't drink for a month if drops to the upper 50s. If I'm also working out regularly it drops to the mid 50s. So that doesn't seem to far off.

Given what's going on with high BP being a risk factor I probably should not drink this month because my BP is high and that'll lower it. Plus generally just not depressing my immune system.

gently caress, I'm gonna face the apocalypse sober. That's' bullshit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

shovelbum posted:

Beacuse you just made those numbers up? Nobody is talking about 50M dead because that's not a reasonable prediction

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

Texting some of my friends/acquaintances has shown me that most people don't think like that. They're apparently climbing the walls being stuck at home. I'm sitting here jealous that even working from home they have time to do things. Apparently they get their thrills from going to another box to sit all day for work.

I'm going absolutely crazy being stuck at home, I enjoyed going to the office and I genuinely enjoy seeing my coworkers and bullshitting.

I'm used to having my evenings and weekends scheduled up and sitting here with large blocks of open time is depressing.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Thoguh posted:

I'm a goony goon but mine generally sits around the upper 60s or low 70s and if I don't drink for a month if drops to the upper 50s. If I'm also working out regularly it drops to the mid 50s. So that doesn't seem to far off.

Given what's going on with high BP being a risk factor I probably should not drink this month because my BP is high and that'll lower it. Plus generally just not depressing my immune system.

gently caress, I'm gonna face the apocalypse sober. That's' bullshit.

On the plus side you won't get the post-booze anxiety and that's nice

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Thoguh posted:

Good thing we don't have a bunch of people in government that have been salivating for decades to privatize mail service.

death stranding is real

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Beacuse you just made those numbers up? Nobody is talking about 50M dead because that's not a reasonable prediction

Why is it not a reasonable prediction, even in young healthy ppl 20% need hospital which lol, and it's supposed to infect pretty much everyone

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Paradoxish posted:

I know right

I was full-time WFH before all this started so maybe I'm just used to it, but it's kind of a relief to be free of social obligations for a while. I'm spending shitloads of quality time with my SO, getting loads of projects done, and maybe eventually I'll have time to play video games again. It'd suck if this was month eight or something, but it's like week three for most people come the gently caress on.

do you have children

do you have small children

that makes a big difference. my wfh productivity went from 100-110% of my typical office output to like 20%

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Unemployed Safe Cracker Update:

So my boss found a way to pick up my work vehicle a week after I was fired. My phone is also being recalled and he told me late last night that my final paycheck is going to be late because of internet issues. I don't believe him. All nineteen safe crackers are out of a job and will not be getting a last stand paycheck to cover rent. Most of us only had the work vehicle and phone for personal use as well as work so we are falling right though every safety net we could have had. We lost contact with a few of us we were trying to talk out of doing dumb poo poo involving safes. One of us tried to call two suicide hotlines and got a busy signal and gave up. I have been in Iraq on some very lovely days and never lacked the gallows humor to keep everyone going but this poo poo is so loving dark I lack the humor to even say how hosed we all are.

I managed to file for Unemployment in MD but because I moved here from Wisconsin last July they didn't have my previous salary in three of four quarters and sent me a letter saying I am entitled to ZERO dollars in unemployment. I can't even get past the busy signal to get though to the UI office to explain and hope they manage to contact Wisconsin in this madness in some kind of reasonable time. I filed my taxes last week and added a direct deposit for my refund but all this money and help I feel will arrive long after I end up on the street with all my safe cracking tools and really hoping future me doesn't decide to do something dumber than how this poo poo country handles this.

So at this point I can't do fuckall and job hunting during this is right on the line of impossible and dangerous. Ill be here in my apartment burning though my food stock waiting for either this to end and I can get a job or the police knocking on my door to walk my rear end out to the street. My Google Fi phone came in yesterday so I can still talk to some people before I fail to pay that bill. I highly doubt my story is exclusive to anyone for this month but I have the terrible twist of being a safe cracker veteran so the mental aspect has the true meaning of comedy to it.

But I saw a happy picture of a dog today and Jitters moves into my Animal Crossing town so it's not all bad.

Anyone know of a federal job in DC I should try applying for with US Army Infantryman, Alarm Tech, Safe Cracking and Repair, One eye and no car on a resume I have yet to even try to type up.

USPS also needs locksmiths, and they're still functional for now.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Gripweed posted:

500M dead, minimum, imo

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

congrats but also :stonk:

i biked like 4 hours a week for almost the past 10 months and my resting heart rate got down to high 40’s - low 50’s. Losing 35lbs probably helped to

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

shovelbum posted:

there isnt any indication that the 20% number being admitted to the hospital will certainly die without care, so its more like the 5% icu admissions are for sure dead UP TO 20% that would have been admitted at all.. as things progress, they will start shifting priorities and denying likely death to try to keep as many alive as possible

these numbers are also heavily based on activity in new york, which still has a ton of people using shared public transport... infection rates will be higher there than even similar cities with weaker public transportation systems

the math really isn't all worked out, so worst case projections like these are really only going to serve to make things harder for people to process

plus social distancing measures have only been in place for two weeks and a lot of symptomatic cases we are seeing now were already infected by the time the measures were announced

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nodelphi posted:

So of those that I’ve seen die, many if not most die from apparent cardiovascular complications, not hypoxia. I suppose our pulse ox could be falsely reading high if it’s detecting damaged hemoglobin but I don’t see cyanosis or any other hallmarks of hypoxia.

Cytokine storm is still the most likely culprit as the patients who get interleukin inhibitors seem to be getting better faster. The only problem is it’s expensive and administration predictably is now clamping down on it’s use.

All interesting, thanks. IANAD but from some quick reading, carbon monoxide poisoning (for example) can produce a false high pulse ox reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
loving lolling that strip club goon is confused about why people might enjoy seeing other people and are sad they can't