Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's something grimly amusing about the papers reporting "biggest rise in cases/deaths EVER" every few days as if its a discrete event completely separated from everything beforehand. Media's always had a short memory, but its almost instantaneous now.
Strong memories of the bitcoin forums.

You need to use a log scale to really appreciate the growth!

e: 6 BTC is 30,239 GBP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's something grimly amusing about the papers reporting "biggest rise in cases/deaths EVER" every few days as if its a discrete event completely separated from everything beforehand. Media's always had a short memory, but its almost instantaneous now.

I don't remember where but there was an article bemoaning that the 2 day "trend" of deaths tapering off was suddenly and shockingly over.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I'm curious as to the public reaction in a few weeks when it's really a crisis- especially for those still having to go into work.

I know someone who genuinely thought herd immunity was a good idea because it lets " us healthy people get on with it and keep the country going". They are definitely the type to come in with symptoms, so I loving hope I have it now so least I have some immunity.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Must be easy as gently caress even easier as gently caress to be a journalist right now.

NUMBER GO UP!
NUMBER GO DOWN!!
NUMBER NOT GO UP OR DOWN!!!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I work with a handful of 70 year olds who were all bitching and loving moaning about it not being a big deal, total media sensationalism, refusing to self isolate, etc... They're still whining at me via email about how it will all look like a massive overreaction in the aftermath. And yeah, if the lockdown works at all it will look like an overreaction, because tens of thousands of people won't have died. I just don't know how to get through to these loving imbeciles. I almost wish they'd get it just so they would shut up.

They're worse than toddlers for their intransigence and inability to use basic logic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imagine how all of history looked before it happened. That's what's you're doing now.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

communism bitch posted:

They're still whining at me via email about how it will all look like a massive overreaction in the aftermath. And yeah, if the lockdown works at all it will look like an overreaction, because tens of thousands of people won't have died.

Yea this is my entire workplace. I don't think it's just the oldies, it's just decades of British arrogance.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

marktheando posted:

Would it be really irresponsible of me to try to get some weed right now?

Press it into rosin to deactivate the virus.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wachter posted:

They also went, racistly, "everyone in Italy smokes, is old, and Continental kisses their entire neighbourhood a million times everyday, so of course they've all got it".

I mean I agree but having been to Italy on several occasions, as well as having an Italian best friend and met his extended family etc it is rare to meet an Italian who doesn't smoke, in my experience.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LearninCurve (or anyone!)

When you said 'text based version' of shopping websites for delivery slots, what did you mean?
A friend has been trying for ages to get a slot on Tesco to no avail and so I told him what you said and now he wants to know what that means ... erm....
I'm guessing it's to do with accessibility?

I dunno about Tesco, but on the Morrissons one when you check out and go to pick a delivery slot, it's a calendar view but with a little "Text-only version" or whatever link at the bottom. And that gives you all the slots in a list, it's easier to read and maybe it updates before the calendar view for some reason??

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

hemale in pain posted:

just the flu bro.

think this could of potentially been us. i'm still confused how the government 'scientists' spent so long with a flawed model when everyone else seemed to be aware of the death rate from just reading the news about china. it be really fascinating to be in the room when they realized that there'd be minimum 250,000 deaths if they stuck with the policy of not doing anything.

i also wonder how many people suggested they just go a long with it to save face rather than going back on their decisions

e: it's probably the only time it's been good that the public is so loving stupid they'd forget and forgive boris johnson even if he came to their house and took a poo poo in their living room

Cummings/bojo wanted to grasp the opportunity to keep the UK's economy going full tilt while all those touchy feely continental scardy pusses shut everything down and everyone dies eventually so who gives a poo poo. The only real question imo is who came along and said "no, that's too psychotic even for us gtfo"

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I mean I agree but having been to Italy on several occasions, as well as having an Italian best friend and met his extended family etc it is rare to meet an Italian who doesn't smoke, in my experience.

If smoking is as major a risk factor as people are thinking, Greece, Serbia and Russia are in for a wild time. They're third, fourth and seventh in smoking rates according to the WHO, while Italy is a modest 47th. We're in 67th place, but seem to have a higher rate of smoking-related illnesses.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/1245370812615610370

10/10 great government response

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

turns out that your experience is not in fact representative of 60 million people

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

communism bitch posted:

I work with a handful of 70 year olds who were all bitching and loving moaning about it not being a big deal, total media sensationalism, refusing to self isolate, etc... They're still whining at me via email about how it will all look like a massive overreaction in the aftermath. And yeah, if the lockdown works at all it will look like an overreaction, because tens of thousands of people won't have died. I just don't know how to get through to these loving imbeciles. I almost wish they'd get it just so they would shut up.

They're worse than toddlers for their intransigence and inability to use basic logic.

i dunno how anyone can think this is no big deal with 560 deaths in a day

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Laissez faire pandemic response :thumbsup:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

marktheando posted:

Hmm so that graph was misleading then.

More that Sweden have not had that many days to match up, and with a smaller population density, it might not be comparable anyhow.

Also, the Swedish government are insisting that people are responsible enough to deal with Corona without them imposing too strict rules, even though a poll showed that about a third of the population don't really bother about the recommendations.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

Yes but it didn't happen to me and there isn't news footage of like a big explosion that I can imagine happening to me, so it basically didn't happen.

See also: all other tory induced deaths.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

A guy at my work literally once told me that he didn't care about climate change and would continue as normal, because he'd be dead by the time it would affect anything, and by that point it would be his grandchildrens' problem.

Some people just loving oblivious, selfish doom cultists who lack any sense of critical thinking, or arrogant or self deluded enough to think that when poo poo does hit the fan, it won't be them affected, just as long as they don't have to change anything, no matter how mild the inconvenience to their lives.

[e]: Also, don't know if this is a fake headline but wouldn't be suprised if true :lol:
https://twitter.com/ChickenCaoimh/status/1245364440226201605

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 1, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Well my company are trying to get rid of me then. Furlough or redundancy. Woooo, this kind of instability is exactly what I left contracting for, yessir.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

hemale in pain posted:

Tick all that apply:

[ ] media scaremongering
[ ] government scaremongering
[ ] Blitz spirit
[ ] it'll never happen to me/anyone I know
[ ] it's just the flu
[ ] it's my/their time
[ ] I'll/they'll be dead soon anyway
[ ] what about the economy?
[ ] insane conspiracy theory (please specify)

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

RE: 'it's just the flu' I was curious so I looked up some statistics and apparently 600 people die of flu-related complications in the UK every year on average(although some years it spikes to ~10k). So just yesterday COVID killed almost as many people as usually die of the flu in a year.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Pretty much everyone I know including some quite lefty people thinks Johnson is ‘doing a surprisingly good job’ at worst even while discussing the spiking death figures and impending ventilator crisis. It hasn’t hit home and I doubt it will. To anyone even vaguely normal he’s Boris Churchill now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

floofyscorp posted:

RE: 'it's just the flu' I was curious so I looked up some statistics and apparently 600 people die of flu-related complications in the UK every year on average(although some years it spikes to ~10k). So just yesterday COVID killed almost as many people as usually die of the flu in a year.
Where did you get 600 from? The official UK reports seem to suggest:
2014/15 28k
2015/16 12k
2016/17 18k
2017/18 26k
2018/19 2k.
Taken from page 51 of the newest report.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah, but what about all the other diseases, and car deaths, murders, yoof stabbins and cannabis overdoses? Add all them up and it's probably more than corona, so what you worried about? :smuggo: (I've actually heard a less exaggerated version of this)

Can we get a boomer version of smuggo? Maybe combine it with "this is fine"?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
https://twitter.com/CardiffLiberal/status/1245281402054160385

what in the actual gently caress even is this

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'll see that, and raise you:
https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1244951288422465538

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Lol they don't have many MPs

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Azza Bamboo posted:

Lol they don't have many MPs

lmao

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

communism bitch posted:

It's like the millennium bug. Everyone thought "nothing happened, what a waste of time, money and effort!" When the time, money and effort is why nothing happened.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

What was the name of the thing where you read about your own subject in the newspaper, laugh at how wrong it is, then read the other things?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shogi posted:

Pretty much everyone I know including some quite lefty people thinks Johnson is ‘doing a surprisingly good job’ at worst even while discussing the spiking death figures and impending ventilator crisis. It hasn’t hit home and I doubt it will. To anyone even vaguely normal he’s Boris Churchill now.

lots of rage on my facebook from the looks of it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm with the bird on this one.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Where did you get 600 from? The official UK reports seem to suggest:
2014/15 28k
2015/16 12k
2016/17 18k
2017/18 26k
2018/19 2k.
Taken from page 51 of the newest report.

Ah, that does look more indepth. The 600 number(which I did think seemed low) came from here, but they don't show their working for it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

A guy at my work literally once told me that he didn't care about climate change and would continue as normal, because he'd be dead by the time it would affect anything, and by that point it would be his grandchildrens' problem.

Some people just loving oblivious, selfish doom cultists who lack any sense of critical thinking, or arrogant or self deluded enough to think that when poo poo does hit the fan, it won't be them affected, just as long as they don't have to change anything, no matter how mild the inconvenience to their lives.

[e]: Also, don't know if this is a fake headline but wouldn't be suprised if true :lol:
https://twitter.com/ChickenCaoimh/status/1245364440226201605

They keep texting me telling me how desperate they are for O+ (if anyone's keeping a spreadsheet of goon blood types, there you go) even though I have an appointment booked to give on Monday. Anyway I decided to reschedule it as the sore throat I've had for a couple of days is 99.9999% to be from me scratching one of my tonsils with a burnt chip but I don't want to risk it. Next available session? July. You want my blood? Come loving get it, bitches.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In reality the card should read "the liberal democrats are primarily responsible for the conservatives enacting everything they claimed to be against in 2019"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

What was the name of the thing where you read about your own subject in the newspaper, laugh at how wrong it is, then read the other things?
The Economist?

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's like the millennium bug. Everyone thought "nothing happened, what a waste of time, money and effort!" When the time, money and effort is why nothing happened.
Yeah but how do you get people to act based on that (other than by doing nothing one time so that everyone sees how bad it is, which is bad)?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They keep texting me telling me how desperate they are for O+ (if anyone's keeping a spreadsheet of goon blood types, there you go) even though I have an appointment booked to give on Monday. Anyway I decided to reschedule it as the sore throat I've had for a couple of days is 99.9999% to be from me scratching one of my tonsils with a burnt chip but I don't want to risk it. Next available session? July. You want my blood? Come loving get it, bitches.

:o you have the forbidden blood type. that's the good one.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Shamless self-promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I’m O+. Didn’t realise we were in demand.