Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TMMadman posted:

Yeah this is the thing that I'd like to know about personally. I caught something in early/mid February, right around the time the first confirmed case hit the Chicago area. And while I usually catch something around the change of the seasons, I felt like the thing that hit me was a bit early.

I was dry coughing and sneezing and stuffed up pretty bad for about 3 days and then it cleared up fairly quickly. I don't remember ever feeling short of breath during that time though other than just regular issues with congestion and cough. I probably didn't have it, but it sure would have been nice to be able to find out at that time or if I could find out if I had antibodies present in my system now.

A coworker of mine almost definitely had it in early March but while his symptoms were bad, they never reached the testing threshold. Another guy *might*have had it but again, no testing to confirm.

We at least sent them both home immediately and both haven't been to the office in weeks, and the entire office was closed for about 10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Torpor posted:

The US fatality rate is creeping upwards, it started at 1.5%, yesterday it was 2%, this morning it is at 2.2%

we're also lagging behind on testing again, so that number is likely to increase until things peak

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Paramemetic posted:

Yes, the hospitals will get overloaded.

Yes, healthcare providers will have to make hard decisions about who can be saved.

Yes, many people will die at home because they don't want or can't afford to go to the hospital, or just because our culture has trained people not to go to hospitals because it's unaffordable.

No, 50 million people won't need hospitalization.

Yes, people will die who otherwise might survive if the hospital system weren't overloaded, but there won't be 50 million of them.

this is a much better grover-style corona post than the one in the last thread

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Torpor posted:

The US fatality rate is creeping upwards, it started at 1.5%, yesterday it was 2%, this morning it is at 2.2%

Our testing capacity has not grown at the same rate as cases so any comparison to the number of "confirmed" cases is pointless. Just look and see if the deaths are growing exponentially/logarithmically. Even then the deaths aren't being counted so our numbers mean jack poo poo. Assume that if you leave the house in April you will come into contact with a roni-positive individual or fomites slathered in corona goo.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can you quote the "numbers you ran"

From last night? No, because they have changed and I didn't write down the poo poo I ran.

From now? Yes.

Presently in the US there are 190,022 cases confirmed. Of those, 4102 have died.
4102/190022=0.02158 or 2.2% mortality. It's not perfect because we know more people have died at home or without confirmation, but it's probably in the ballpark.

In the US, there are 178,646 confirmed cases active right now. Of those, 4,576 are severe/critical.
4576/178646=0.0256 or 2.6% hospitalized. There are almost certainly many more cases that have not been tested, but because the US testing policy many places is "has shown up to the hospital," it's unlikely the untested cases are severe enough to be seen at a hospital.

Many of the cases that are not hospitalized are people who have called family doctors or been seen at urgent cares or so on and been told "yeah it's the bad poo poo, stay home and call 911 if you can't breathe."

There is likely a good chunk of those who were tested who weren't admitted at the time but will be admitted later as they deteriorate. It's probably not gonna be 17.5% of those people.

Globally, the numbers on Worldometer look like this:

That's basically the trend. 5% need hospitalized. 20% of the hospitalized cases die.

There's nothing that suggests 20% of people need hospitalization.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Ray posted:

Love to trust US intelligence agencies

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

err posted:

Prester Jane was right, they were burning bodies in mass graves

what's with everyone's obsession with burning bodies

if it was easy the US would be doing that instead of using slaves to dig graves

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
All those people who think their mild illness over the winter was Coronavirus will be cured of that illusion when they really get it, good and hard, in the next few months.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

- an out of work line cook

nice classism :discourse:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Paramemetic posted:

From last night? No, because they have changed and I didn't write down the poo poo I ran.

From now? Yes.

Presently in the US there are 190,022 cases confirmed. Of those, 4102 have died.
4102/190022=0.02158 or 2.2% mortality. It's not perfect because we know more people have died at home or without confirmation, but it's probably in the ballpark.

In the US, there are 178,646 confirmed cases active right now. Of those, 4,576 are severe/critical.
4576/178646=0.0256 or 2.6% hospitalized. There are almost certainly many more cases that have not been tested, but because the US testing policy many places is "has shown up to the hospital," it's unlikely the untested cases are severe enough to be seen at a hospital.

Many of the cases that are not hospitalized are people who have called family doctors or been seen at urgent cares or so on and been told "yeah it's the bad poo poo, stay home and call 911 if you can't breathe."

There is likely a good chunk of those who were tested who weren't admitted at the time but will be admitted later as they deteriorate. It's probably not gonna be 17.5% of those people.

Globally, the numbers on Worldometer look like this:

That's basically the trend. 5% need hospitalized. 20% of the hospitalized cases die.

There's nothing that suggests 20% of people need hospitalization.

Holy poo poo you're drinking the week+ lagging number koolaid so hard

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YW :biglips:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Like I'm not saying a whole fuckload of people aren't gonna die and that the hospital systems are gonna hold it together because that's insane and clearly not happening but assuming 50 million people are gonna die because 20% need hospital support isn't supported by any numbers I can think of

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Bulgakov posted:

have you ever done a self-mri during downtime??

does it consume extra helium when its going THUMP THUMP THUMP for an hour and cost resources beyond whatever electricity goes used (and/or is that electrical bill part trivial in the scheme of running those things?)

I'm too fat to fit in our old tiny unit. I don't think there is any considerable cost for it just sitting there on beyond the electricity and water for the chiller system. The helium takes a long time before it eventually boils off enough. The units I've worked on take about 2-3 years before needing a refill (helium levels get below 50%). Turning the unit off (chiller unit that makes the chirping noise) just ends up with the helium heating up and boiling off, requiring expensive refill.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

I have no idea why we're doing that either, it's an industrial society, you could bury the entire population if you wanted to with no desperation tactics, heavy equipment can dig holes faster than anything but the sea can fill them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Holy poo poo you're drinking the week+ lagging number koolaid so hard

Where are you getting the 20% hospitalization rate from?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting kind of anxious in here

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

we have the capability and should use it instead of filling plots of land with dead bodies forever

build public housing on those plots and store live bodies there

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

NofrikinfuN posted:

we have the capability and should use it instead of filling plots of land with dead bodies forever

Cemeteries aren't like industrial sites, they're pretty easily remediated down the line.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Paramemetic posted:

Like I'm not saying a whole fuckload of people aren't gonna die and that the hospital systems are gonna hold it together because that's insane and clearly not happening but assuming 50 million people are gonna die because 20% need hospital support isn't supported by any numbers I can think of

Its cuz you're using hosed numbers, dummy

NofrikinfuN posted:

This forever

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
My 65 y/o mom almost died from an undiagnosed viral infection in early Feb. She had:

-Dry nonproductive cough that persisted for over a month (she's a smoker)
-Test negative for flu & bacterial pneumonia
-high fever
-extreme fatigue
-couldnt eat for days or keep food down
-required supplemental o2 in the dr's office

She really thought she was going to die from it, it took a long time before she started to feel better at all, they had her on strong antibiotics and antivirals - they basically gave it the original SARS treatment.

At the same exact time I got a mysterious breathing problem where it felt like the air I breathed in was obstructed and not reaching my lungs. I felt like I was slowly slowly suffocating with each breath and had a nonproductive phlegmy feeling in the back of my throat. 1.5-2 weeks later I got a dry cough and mild cold symptoms for a few days, then both went away forever.

We both really wonder. She had just come back from MA where she spent a long time with us after the holidays & was also in the ER 2x for unrelated physical disability complications.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Look, I'm not saying that we aren't gonna get our hair mussed, but no more than 4,132 to 2,200,000 dead, tops, depending on the breaks.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

all things considered, first wave, second wave, knock-on effects and the gun fun we arrive at a reasonable total of 11 million benghazis

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

shovelbum posted:

Cemeteries aren't like industrial sites, they're pretty easily remediated down the line.

Cincinnati Music Hall was built on top of a graveyard for orphans

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

pot, kettle, etc.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

err posted:

Prester Jane was right, they were burning bodies in mass graves

imagine seeing a leaked Trump US intelligence report about China and immediately thinking “wow finally Prester Jane has been vindicated” lmfao

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torpor posted:

Look, I'm not saying that we aren't gonna get our hair mussed, but no more than 4,132 to 2,200,000 dead, tops, depending on the breaks.

I was watched that last night ftw

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

shovelbum posted:

well.. about that...

Soylent Green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99I1BXREPO4

Grandmaapocalypse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dx76lD8Scc

Tei has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Apr 1, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Its cuz you're using hosed numbers, dummy

Where are you getting 20% needing hospitalization?

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So since all of the mods are perma’d or prob’d in a totally not April Fool’s prank, does that mean that Prester Jane is free to post here again? (for today)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

sharpen them blades, boys

https://twitter.com/dfriedman33/status/1245301513028800513

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1245154598836453387

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
in spain 1 in every 500 people have now tested positive (and switzerland is pretty close)

in iceland 1 in every 300 people have now tested positive. only 2 deaths though because not many people live there and they test a ton

poty has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Apr 1, 2020

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

spending months planning and infiltrating a us intelligence agency only to find a classified document that says "prester jane was right"

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL the "ventilators" that loving idiot rear end in a top hat douchebag pedo Elon Musk is bragging about donating were actually just CPAP machines.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

poty posted:

in spain 1 in every 500 people have now tested positive (and switzerland is pretty close)

in iceland 1 in every 300 people have now tested positive. only 2 deaths though because not many people live there and they test a ton

I thought Iceland had locked that poo poo down?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

poty posted:

Everyone in Iceland is one big family, so asking them to "stay home" doesn't work. :eng101:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

D1E posted:

LOL the "ventilators" that loving idiot rear end in a top hat douchebag pedo Elon Musk is bragging about donating were actually just CPAP machines.

of course

I want to say "lmao" but god loving drat it toss him in the tumbrel this rear end in a top hat is just PR boosting as other are dying

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hospital administrators are determined to get every last ounce of bloody profit

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D1E posted:

Habahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

D1E posted:

lol welp

guess you dont have to hand it to him after all