Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s very funny to me that the Mormons I know are being BY FAR the most prepared, calm, and compassionate about this while the Protestants and Catholics I know are gripped in shivering shaking delusion and fear because they don’t actually believe any of the poo poo they pretend to for social cohesion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://chemrxiv.org/articles/COVID-19_Disease_ORF8_and_Surface_Glycoprotein_Inhibit_Heme_Metabolism_by_Binding_to_Porphyrin/11938173

here is a study that hypothesizes that COVID is a blood disease which outcompetes with iron to bind to heme. the basis of this belief is it explains why ventilators don't work, and ferritin increases. So I guess you could give people shitloads of iron and a blood transfusion, or I guess you could give something that binds to the covid receptor that binds with heme?

Its an interesting idea and I guess we'll see where it goes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Taintrunner posted:

baaahahahaha that was the one I was thinking of. Jesus loving Christ

pathetic

Why did he have CPAP machines on hand?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t k ow what’s going to happen except I’m pretty white unionization will increase in the us

whether they is good or bad for the left is up to your interpretation

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

pathetic

that's...not a ventilator

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It’s very funny to me that the Mormons I know are being BY FAR the most prepared, calm, and compassionate about this while the Protestants and Catholics I know are gripped in shivering shaking delusion and fear because they don’t actually believe any of the poo poo they pretend to for social cohesion.

to be fair to the catholics, those are the symptoms of their DTs.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Torpor posted:

https://chemrxiv.org/articles/COVID-19_Disease_ORF8_and_Surface_Glycoprotein_Inhibit_Heme_Metabolism_by_Binding_to_Porphyrin/11938173

here is a study that hypothesizes that COVID is a blood disease which outcompetes with iron to bind to heme. the basis of this belief is it explains why ventilators don't work, and ferritin increases. So I guess you could give people shitloads of iron and a blood transfusion, or I guess you could give something that binds to the covid receptor that binds with heme?

gimme the cliff notes, which medications and/or dietary supplements should i be buying in bulk?

are there alternatives i can buy at a pet store?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

NofrikinfuN posted:

i fell for the pr stunt

i figured surely if he was just buying ventilators and sending them somewhere, what could go wrong?

turns out, billionaires are as dumb as the people licking doorknobs and they have all the resources we need

It's not a dumb move. He got all the pr while only having to spend a tiny fraction of what real ventilators would cost

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

That reminds me. Syfy has BSG streaming on their site.
https://www.syfy.com/battlestargalactica

Good quarantine TV. Love me some drunken space mormon fuckbots

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Yeah this is consistent with ny and iirc sk numbers which means inside a month setting foot outside will have worse than Russian roulette odds lmao

I haven't had a lot of luck finding SK hospitalization rates, but this claims "about 10%":

https://web.archive.org/web/20200310121826/https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/09/asia/south-korea-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

In the no-preventive-measures scenario, 50 million US deaths is not plausible, but 20m is.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Gum posted:

It's not a dumb move. He got all the pr while only having to spend a tiny fraction of what real ventilators would cost

true and incredibly cynical

anybody wanna go covid bunker busting in new zealand?

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Torpor posted:

brb gotta lock down a bloodbag

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

In the no-preventive-measures scenario, 50 million US deaths is not plausible, but 20m is.

Let's not kid ourselves, we're in that scenario. With the weird panic buying sprees and plague bearing delivery guys and everything being essential we're probably actually worsening it vs do nothing

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

gimme the cliff notes, which medications and/or dietary supplements should i be buying in bulk?

are there alternatives i can buy at a pet store?

Get yourself an iron lick. I recommend a length of NPS 2" pipe, available from Lowes or Home Depot. Mount it directly to the wall in a part of your house that you pass through often - perhaps the hallway to the bathroom.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Taintrunner posted:

pathetic

hahaha holy poo poo that's absolutely just a CPAP machine

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea/cpap-products/cpap-equipment-the-complete-system/

This company does make ventilators! But that ain't it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Nodelphi posted:

Not interested in the slap fight but our health system that encompasses 25 hospitals is seeing a more or less 20% hospitalization rate of patients diagnosed with Covid19. True there are probably others at home that don’t get diagnosed so the numbers may be off in that regard but otherwise 20% of those I diagnose needing the hospital is pretty dead on.

Could that 20% hospitalization rate be based on those who are getting tested at the hospital or other medical centers?

In other words, the number is skewing that way because those being tested are already seeking acute care?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1245383086491283457?s=19

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1245384995386032130?s=19

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

wow we went from 3000 to 4000 deaths pretty fast huh

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Torpor posted:

Peter Theil wins again

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How do the hospitilization, ICU, and ventilator rates compare to this CDC study on the need for stockpiling ventilators?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/6/pdfs/16-1417.pdf

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

lol American journalism is literally just state propaganda

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, we're in that scenario. With the weird panic buying sprees and plague bearing delivery guys and everything being essential we're probably actually worsening it vs do nothing

The current measures are absolutely better than nothing. My prediction is 0.5-4 million deaths. I think 0.5m is achievable if we get 2/3 of:
1) enforced lockdown in all metro areas
2) an effective treatment/prophylaxis protocol cobbled together from widely available drugs
3) a functional system for contact tracing and proactive testing

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

apocalyptic survival is part of the Mormon belief system. they intend to inherit the earth through disaster preparation and organization.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
is there any doubt that China is underreporting (along with most if not all other countries due to a wide variety of reasons)?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

brugroffil posted:

is there any doubt that China is underreporting (along with most if not all other countries due to a wide variety of reasons)?

they are, but it doesn't really matter

American government is trying extremely hard to leverage blame on China to avoid culpability once this finishes running through the population. they have the foresight to do that but not to prepare the country for this :jerkbag:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

The current measures are absolutely better than nothing. My prediction is 0.5-4 million deaths. I think 0.5m is achievable if we get 2/3 of:
2) an effective treatment/prophylaxis protocol cobbled together from widely available drugs

1) is wholly partisan and impossible here
2) will only happen if they can use it to pump ppl full of mabs every yr to make corona debt the new college debt
3) is just a pipe dream

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Well I was skeptical at first to be honest, but we are only 850 deaths away from hitting 5,000 by tonight and that confirms the 3 day doubling rate...

So perhaps it will be 10,000 by Saturday night.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If only we would have know

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

They no longer have exponential growth so they've won and the cases might as well be zero vs here where they might as well be infinite

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

More money in healthcare? no, bad politicians are ready to use this to put more money in control and weapons.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

IAMKOREA posted:

So neoliberal that even our Minitrue is loving provatized.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

hepatizon posted:

ok so 4 million deaths then

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
https://twitter.com/WashPostPR/status/1245382663579500547

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zyme posted:

If anything this seems optimistic?

This is certainly a stupid way to estimate, but with the US population at 327 million vs 60 million for Italy (5.45x multiplier), and Italy having about 12000 deaths right now...if we assume Italy is now at peak death rate, that would be equivalent to the US having ~70K deaths at peak death rate, which seems too low. Also Italy's lockdown is FAR more effective than the US.

When you reach the peak you still have to go down the other side.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

most of the time

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

old beast lunatic posted:

Just imagine the Picard facepalm that happened when the first medical professional inspected Elon's truckload of ventilators. lmao
"Thanks Grandma"
<tries to smile while holding DVD copy of Atlantic Rim>
"Just what I wanted"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So italy is at 12k/day now?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why is there what appears to be a suburban subdivision immediately next to the core downtown area. Is this a Sim City game?

That is a public housing project (Clayton Homes) next to Downtown Houston

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:siren: 900,000 cases :siren:

45,300 deaths

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
that one picture where the dude is struggling to figure out which button to push and one says:

1,000,000 ventilators during an influenza pandemic

and the other says:

1 F-35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Lol, musk bought a bunch of cheap cpaps and those are his "ventilator" donations.

https://twitter.com/evdefender/status/1245254459380445185